Naze32 hardware discussion thread

timecop

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by timecop »

Go ahead. Nothing's stopping you.

HAM2

Post by HAM2 »

lnquang wrote:Tc, any chance to port arducopter 2.9 to naze32?

Yes I know, my name is not TC, but my question is why do a port of that? What is missing in Naze32?

brm

Post by brm »

missing?!?
there is not much missing - arducopter is just to monolythic.
wait and wait until it gets better.

ABL

Post by ABL »

HAM2 wrote:

Yes I know, my name is not TC, but my question is why do a port of that? What is missing in Naze32?

I'm not lnquang, but... Airplane code (i mean, real autonomous navigation, aditional sensors (airspeed, current, etc - enabling FC to do decisions based on their data))?
There are some guys already, working on that, i'm waiting for results ;-)

brm

Post by brm »

hi ABL,
their is news on tc's svn google site :)

the base has to be good.
first we need full control over the basics.
even with a simple bosch baro you should get a reasonable result on altitude hold.

i have an airplane mixer in the back.
but i was not really happy with the results on the sensor fusion side.

now we move on ...

timecop

Post by timecop »

ABL wrote:
HAM2 wrote:

I'm not lnquang, but... Airplane code (i mean, real autonomous navigation, aditional sensors (airspeed, current, etc - enabling FC to do decisions based on their data))?

apparently tarducopter 2.9 runs on PX4 (cortex M4) after some screwing around.
they've separated most of hardware stuff into a HAL, so it is possible, buut,, as ABL said, airpseed sensors, etc you aren't going to be hooking them up to random places.

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

I think Arducopter will run fine on naze (with a lot of codechanges). But i guess you will have to reduce the bytesize/functionality somehow. It compiles to over 190KB for 8Bit Arduino.

Cheers

Kraut Rob

HappyHappySundays

Post by HappyHappySundays »

ABL wrote:I'm not lnquang, but... Airplane code (i mean, real autonomous navigation, aditional sensors (airspeed, current, etc - enabling FC to do decisions based on their data))?

Hi there, I hope to release Alpha 1 of OpenAero32 tomorrow (my time) :)
Really crap User Guide here -> http://code.google.com/p/nextcopterplus/wiki/OpenAero32_UserGuide
RCGroups thread here -> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1729230

It's basically a much updated airplane mode with completely different RC handling and a lot of new CLI commands.

HappySundays

OpenAero32 Alpha 1 released

Post by HappySundays »

Hi again,
OpenAero32 Alpha 1 for Naze32 has been released.
It has not been flight tested but it looks good so far.
Tons of new CLI commands to play with.

Info and binary file here -> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1729230

QuadHag

Post by QuadHag »

Hello guys,

I'm very new to RC stuff and build a quadcopter with a white Naze32 board (terminal version says: Afro32 CLI version 2.1 Nov 12 2012 / 17:35:15) .
- 30A ESC (FH-30A UBEC)) from Abusemark with SimonK firmware
- Turnigy D3530/14 1100KV
- Turnigy 9x
- Turnigy 9X8C v2 receiver it has no sumsignal
- Turnigy 40-50C 2200mAh LiPo
- flyduino frame
Everything is connected.
ESC + - and LiPo to the power distribution board of the fram. One ESC prvides power to the Naze board by its BEC. The other 3 ESCs just have ground and signal connected to the Naze.
The receiver is powered by the Naze board via the BEC as well. All 8 channels are connected.
ESCs and motors are connected: red to red, black to black and blue to yellow.
I connected the motors for a X setup. So they go to M1- M4.
I can see terminal output when connected via USB. I also saw some sensor data in a Multiwii GUI.
Does ppm feature of Naze32 CLI stand for sumsignal or not?

When I connect the LiPo I hear 4 sounds (probably from the ESCs) and the blue LED is on, red and green LEDs flash during the sound. Then the blue LED remains on.
I followed the procedure to bind the receiver. That seemed to work. I found that "bind" and "battery" are mixed up on that receiver, so I had to put the loop cable to "battery" and not to "bind".
I also set the ppm (not pcm) mode in the transceiver.
When I deviate the board the green LED flashes.

But now I'm lost.
I can not start the motors. What does the stick movement at the end of the manual mean?
I don't know if and what I have to set up on the transceiver.
I don't know how to calibrate the ESC. I read I have to to that somehow...
I don't know how to set up the Naze32 board (especially the ppm feature).
I think there is also much fine tuning later (PIDs) and calibration of all the sensors for the different flying modes, but right now I don't even get there.

Can anyone provide some basic help?
There is so much information scattered in the forum.
I feel I must be close to bring the quad to life...
Thank you.

timecop

Post by timecop »

You don't use cppm mode with turnigy standard receiver.
So no configuration on naze needed for that.
The manual does cover setting endpoints to 1000..2000 and sub trimming center to 1500.

After that you need to do gyro init and arm before throttle does anything. That's also in manual.

QuadHag

Post by QuadHag »

Are you refering to this manual?
http://www.abusemark.com/downloads/naze32_rev2.pdf
I don't find in it there...
Probably because I don't know where and how to set...
I might be so obvious to you, but I don't know what to do next.

So I guess ppm in the CLI stands for cppm...

timecop

Post by timecop »

Correct. So you don't need to change that.

QuadHag

Post by QuadHag »

Ok, I see. ppm feature in CLI has to be disabled.
But where do I set endpoints? In CLI or on transceiver?
Same question for sub trimming.
Probably I have to set the transceiver correctly that the transmitted signals are on the correct channels.
Any tip how to check if anything is transmitted? With scope to receiver?
And how do I read the stick actions on the last page of the manual?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Receiver is only powered when 5v from bec is available, not by USB alone.
Then you will see channels in the GUI.
Endpoints, trim are in the radio.
You don't need to scope anything

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

i have some wierd problem with the acro naze32, when i assign any on off switch to my mix example, led light switch on off or auto level switch all other input will freeze at neutral position, when turn off the switch all control back to normal

from gui i can see rc input but when i turn on the switch all rc input freeze and does not have response at all,

thing that i have done

- change rx
- clear al mix and re-create
- create new model in radio

i'm using turnigy 9x with er9x firmware paired with Frsky modules, posible those input pin shorted out?

timecop

Post by timecop »

PPM? And no, not possible.

QuadHag

Post by QuadHag »

timecop wrote:Receiver is only powered when 5v from bec is available, not by USB alone.
Then you will see channels in the GUI.
Endpoints, trim are in the radio.
You don't need to scope anything

Ah ok, Now I see channels moving in GUI according to stick movement on transmitter.
I can go from here, I guess.

I read somewhere that motors won't start if endpoint settings are not correct...
But can someone explain what the stick action graphic at the end of the manual mean?
Which stick do I have to move?

What is wrong if I see more than one channel moving (pitch and one AUX move together)?
I guess some setting in the transmitter, right?

Thank you so far!

timecop

Post by timecop »

.. They're images of stick positions for a standard mode2 transmitter.
Endpoints are in your menus.
AUX is moving because you have some heli mixing on transmitter.

Do have a general read through http://www.multiwii.com/faq and http://www.multiwii.com/software
Just ignore parts where it talks about recompiling stuff, etc.

QuadHag

Post by QuadHag »

Thank you.
After setting sub trim and end points I can start the motors.
I cannot set endpoints to 2000 but I found that 1940 will do too. I guess otherwise I would have to change max values in CLI.

Since I connected all motors the same way, they are all spinning in the same direction.
Can this be fixed by software, or do I have to change the wired connection?

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

timecop wrote:PPM? And no, not possible.

yes ppm, if that not posible have to find figure out why it doing that, will do a test again with cppm rx, but will lose my led switch

Gaijin

Post by Gaijin »

I finally got around to fitting my HC-SR04 Sonar sensor to my Hex, 5v supply from a spare esc's BEC and Trigger and echo (via 1k resistors) to pins 7&8, in the process I've finally used ALL the I/O's on my Naze32!

Anyhow, Sonar is highlighted in green via multiwiiconf and I assume it's adding an offset to the altitude reading BUT whats the simplest way to specifically tell if it's working correctly?

I know it's not really actively supported at present (maybe when 2.2 is merged?) but it was cheap and easy to add so why not, TC I know you aren't really fussed about sonar support but I have a spare I could possibly send to you?

P.S added a link to my multicopter photo album if anyone's interested

https://plus.google.com/photos/108235385012513539305/albums/5835563810778487569?authkey=CIK_pffOxYOP2QE

rocketray

Post by rocketray »

QuadHag wrote:Since I connected all motors the same way, they are all spinning in the same direction.
Can this be fixed by software, or do I have to change the wired connection?

This is standard Multiwii stuff so look here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1261382 . you will find that questions not related to Naze32 will probably get ignored, dont get offended its just this is a naze32 development thread and you should look elseware for normal quad and tri stuff. As im feeling good at the moment i will tell you that to change motors direction just swap any two of the three motor wires.

Ray ;)

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

zarkon wrote:
timecop wrote:PPM? And no, not possible.

yes ppm, if that not posible have to find figure out why it doing that, will do a test again with cppm rx, but will lose my led switch

root caused found, i was stupid enough to use my rangelink 12ch setting for my frsky modules which only have 8ch working fine now just need some pid tuning, cheers

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

I recently updated my Naze32 with the current version of baseflight;

http://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/do ... p&can=2&q=

following the instructions in the manual and at the start of this thread. It updated without any obvious issues but since then it's not detecting the presence of the barometer in the Multiwii configuration GUI. I've reflashed the thing again since doing it the first time and it's not made any difference.

I'm at a bit of a lose as to what to try next. Anyone got any suggestions please?

ABL

Post by ABL »

teslahed wrote:I recently updated my Naze32 with the current version of baseflight;

Do NOT use such old firmware files.
Use latest baseflight:
http://afrodevices.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/baseflight/obj/baseflight.hex

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

That did the trick, thanks ABL.

It might be worth updating the manual and / or first post of this thread with this info. I thought i was playing it safe by installing the 'baseflight latest stable version' but it seems anyone with one of the latest boards needs to install a newer version than that or else the barometer doesn't work.

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

I'm wondering if anyone has a decent guide (or just a post) that explains how to get GPS working with the naze32. So far i have done the following;

Plugged the crius V1 into channels 3 and 4 for TX and RX. The manual states pin 3 is TX and 4 RX. As RX plugs to TX and vice versa i have plugged the RX of my GPS into pin 3 and the TX into pin 4. I presume this is right? I've tried it the other way around just in case and that didn't seem to help...

Plugged the 5V power from the GPS into a spare motor pin out from the Naze32 to get power from the ESC - I'm flying a quadcopter so i have 2 spare anyway.

Read a bunch of posts in this thread and set the following settings using the hercules terminal;

Code: Select all

feature GPS
set gps_type = 1
set gps_baudrate = 38400
set nav_controls_heading = 0

When i plug everything together the light goes on on the GPS unit itself, but in the multiwii GUI it doesn't show the GPS light lit in green - I only have ACC, BARO and MAG lit up at the moment. Also i don't get any activity anwhere else in the GUI you'd expect to see it.

The GPS unit definitely works - I had it running on the crius all in one V1 the other day fine.

Any suggestions / links / comments most welcome, thanks!
Last edited by teslahed on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

I feel a bit silly - but i am now going to have to answer my own question. I gave it 'one more go' after i thought i'd given up (and posted the above) and now it works!

All i did was change set gps_baudrate = 38400 to 57600 and now I'm getting the GPS light on and blinking in the GUI. I'll have to leave it plugged in somewhere near a window to see if i get any satellites now.

Also;

Plugged the crius V1 into channels 3 and 4 for TX and RX. The manual states pin 3 is TX and 4 RX. As RX plugs to TX and vice versa i have plugged the RX of my GPS into pin 3 and the TX into pin 4. I presume this is right? I've tried it the other way around just in case and that didn't seem to help...

Pin 3 which is marked as 'TX' in the manual definitely plugs into the GPS 'RX' as you'd expect.

Another issue which may be confusing some people - there appears to be a bug with the GPS I'm using where 50% of the time you turn it on it doesn't work. If you turn the quadcopter of and on again it starts up fine! But if you are trying to get it working and going through all the different settings sequentially there is a 50% chance it wont be responding when you try the correct setting - you have to try every setting twice if you want to be sure. This could be quite frustrating for some people.

hkubota

Post by hkubota »

ABL wrote:
teslahed wrote:I recently updated my Naze32 with the current version of baseflight;

Do NOT use such old firmware files.
Use latest baseflight:
http://afrodevices.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/baseflight/obj/baseflight.hex

TC,

is it possible to remove that old firmware and replace it with either nothing or a file with the correct location of the current firmware or with a halfway recent known working and stable firmware?

Harald

ABL

Post by ABL »

teslahed wrote:It might be worth updating the manual and / or first post of this thread with this info. I thought i was playing it safe by installing the 'baseflight latest stable version' but it seems anyone with one of the latest boards needs to install a newer version than that or else the barometer doesn't work.

From PDF manual:

Code: Select all

Hardware is shipped with the most current firmware at the time of assembly. It is
recommended to upgrade to latest stable or development firmware for new features.
<...>
3. Latest baseflight firmware (development)
http://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/source/browse/trunk/baseflight/obj/baseflight.hex

So, you downgraded your version... Just read manual ;-)
teslahed wrote:I feel a bit silly - but i am now going to have to answer my own question. I gave it 'one more go' after i thought i'd given up (and posted the above) and now it works!

You probably still need 'feature gps'.

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

It's true the information is there - i just missed that particular part unfortunately.

Although i imagine other people will make the same basic assumption / mistake that i did - thinking the latest stable version linked to is going to work with the latest naze32 hardware, and be a safer bet than the 'development' version. Obviously the 'development' version is better developed than usual for these things - often with hardware like this it's best not to mess about with the latest version of the code until you have the basics working properly, but with the Naze 32 the dev version is pretty much necessary if you want the barometer on your flight controller to work.

You probably still need 'feature gps'.

I did specific in my first post on the subject that i used the feature so could take the opportunity to say something like RTFP if i wanted, but i wont, that would be mean (and hypocritical) ;-). I've had 6 satellites connected with the board just sitting on my windowsill, i guess it must be working ok now so I will have to take it out for a test flight when the weather improves.

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

now having flip of problem,

- board orientation correct
- motor sequence all correct
- re-do esc calibration
- update to lastest restore default

hand held test indicated board over correcting, motor output a bit jumping around instead of constan, none of those above step work, tested with 2 different frame with different electronic setup symptoms are the same, in acro it fli side way in autolevel if flip forward, both frame work fine with my IOI MINI 10DOF multiwii board, posible hardware faulty?

timecop

Post by timecop »

hardware doesn't break this way.

cGiesen

Post by cGiesen »

zarkon wrote:now having flip of problem,

Check the wiring of the motors!
The order is different from MWii I think.
When my Copter flip, my motors are wrong ordered!

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

cGiesen wrote:
zarkon wrote:now having flip of problem,

Check the wiring of the motors!
The order is different from MWii I think.
When my Copter flip, my motors are wrong ordered!

checked and verified a few time still the same

jef79m

Post by jef79m »

zarkon, can you post a pic of your setup?

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

jef79m wrote:zarkon, can you post a pic of your setup?

i'll post itnone i got home, will try to update the firmware to the latest from svn trunk

timecop

Post by timecop »

This is not something that would be broken by a firmware revision.

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

timecop wrote:This is not something that would be broken by a firmware revision.

well as for now i have no idea why it doing that, hand held test gyro correction are jumpy and sometime over correcting, would assuming updating the board wod restore it back to factory defaults and clear up the epprom no?

my electronic setup just incase, posting the whole setup pictures later when i get back from work

- turnigy d2812 1100kv
- 12a blue series with simonk

thanks

timecop

Post by timecop »

Does everything properly respond on the graphs?
Pitch forward and the gyro pitch numbers should go positive (up on the graph).
Pitch back and the gyro pitch numbers should go negative (down on the graph)
Roll right and the gyro roll numbers should go positive (up on the graph)
Roll left and the gyro roll numbers should go negative (down on the graph)
Yaw right and the yaw gyro numbers should go positive (up on the graph)
Yaw left and the yaw gyro numbers should go negative (down on the graph)

same for acc ^

do not attempt to fly with acc/horizon/etc on. hover in angle/rate mode first.
if youre shaking the stuff while plugging in battery, do gyro init stick sequence.
also note board "front" direction etc.

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

timecop wrote:Does everything properly respond on the graphs?

same for acc ^

if youre shaking the stuff while plugging in battery, do gyro init stick sequence.

i'll double check those again, i'm using acro naze32 so only rate and angle mode here, will do another test one i have verified everything again

thanks

DennyR

Post by DennyR »

Hi Guys I'm new here, Just built a Turnigy Talon Tri. with Suppomotor BL2814/8's turning 10x5 Graupners. It's my first time with Multiwii but everything went ok in the 2.1 GUI. The model flew OK from the start, which is always a good sign. I do have an issue with the baro sensitivity it would seem, as it wanders up and down about six feet. Not using GPS yet but I do have some Tardu stuff kicking about that may do the job. Does anybody have some PID settings for a hot tri that they would care to share?

rcsnow

Post by rcsnow »

Is your baro protected from winds with a piece of foam or something?

rcsnow

Post by rcsnow »

I finally set my quad with naze32 that i bought .. half a year ago.
Made a 350mm wood frame (rosewhite style) prototype, with NTM2826 1200kv motors, 8x4.5 gemfan props, 12A esc, 3S 2200mah.
Default PID settings... flying smooth! Full carbon version next.

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

timecop wrote:Does everything properly respond on the graphs?

same for acc ^

did the test gyro & acc respond seem fine, in GUI when i arm and apply some throttle i can see all my motor respond are hectic bouncing everywhere, I manage to borrow a freeflight board gonna update it a baseflight software and try that one see what happen

20130124_151925.jpg
Last edited by zarkon on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Sounds like you're on a DJI frame.

zarkon

Post by zarkon »

timecop wrote:Sounds like you're on a DJI frame.

wrong :) edited my post with my quad setup :)

ReadError

Post by ReadError »

Even worse...

ReadError

Post by ReadError »

Are there even supports for those arms? Take a side pic please.