Rushduino OSD - Multiwii based open software osd

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
JohnyGab

Re: Rushduino OSD - Multiwii based open software osd

Post by JohnyGab »

I'm now trying to make the OSD working with the current dev version, and getting a strange error.

working on that ;)

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

JohnyGab wrote:I'm now trying to make the OSD working with the current dev version, and getting a strange error.

working on that ;)

Hi Gab,
perfect thanks,

I´m now on preparing the hardware part, today I manage to work vertical without it ! it was not a cool thing to do in FPV ... but it´s done. This weekend I hope to get it out to fly with the rushduino on!

Cheers,
Henrique
Last edited by kataventos on Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Waldmensch

Post by Waldmensch »

Would it be possible to use the OSD Arduino to manage the GPS Job and support the Flightcontrol Arduino as i2C slave with?

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi Gab,

I have error when compiling on 1.9! is this what you are trying to fix? or where you talking about the last dev only?

Cheers,
Henrique

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi Gab, I can not compile the rushduino soft, I´m using the 022 version! did I miss something?
Last edited by kataventos on Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Waldmensch wrote:Would it be possible to use the OSD Arduino to manage the GPS Job and support the Flightcontrol Arduino as i2C slave with?

!! yes this is great idea, is that possible?

JohnyGab

Post by JohnyGab »

kataventos wrote:Hi Gab, I can not compile the rushduino soft, I´m using the 022 version! did I miss something?

what is the error message?

JohnyGab

Post by JohnyGab »

kataventos wrote:
Waldmensch wrote:Would it be possible to use the OSD Arduino to manage the GPS Job and support the Flightcontrol Arduino as i2C slave with?

!! yes this is great idea, is that possible?

This is a waste of time, the OSD will take data from the multiwii , the work to get GPS on all multiwii project as to be made on the multiwii, not the OSD.

A GPS that work on I2c is the way.

The osd could not do it because he need to talk with both.

Waldmensch

Post by Waldmensch »

A GPS on I2C always needs a separate µC (to convert the serial Data to I2C) just to do this job. So with Flightcontrol, OSD and GPS we have 3 µC. The OSD can use the GPS also for showing home direction. Additional it could provide position Data as I2C slave. This would save one µC

JohnyGab

Post by JohnyGab »

Ok guys,

There is a small mistake in the Dev 20111220, the 'O' section of the multiwii code have a missing line :

current 'O' section is :

case 'O': // arduino to OSD data - contribution from MIS
point=0;
serialize8('O');
for(i=0;i<3;i++) serialize16(accSmooth[i]);
for(i=0;i<3;i++) serialize16(gyroData[i]);
serialize16(EstAlt*10.0f);
serialize16(heading); // compass - 16 bytes
for(i=0;i<2;i++) serialize16(angle[i]); //20
for(i=0;i<6;i++) serialize16(motor[i]); //32
for(i=0;i<6;i++) {serialize16(rcData[i]);} //44
serialize8(nunchuk|ACC<<1|BARO<<2|MAG<<3);
serialize8(accMode|baroMode<<1|magMode<<2);
serialize8(vbat); // Vbatt 47
serialize8(VERSION); // MultiWii Firmware version
serialize8('O'); //49
UartSendData();
break;

the line in bold, italic, underlined....is missing and needed to make the OSD communication link

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi Gab,

I can not compile Rushduino software because of a "metro" command that it doesn´t find! I know that Rushduino comes with soft on, but I like to see the program compiling and upload it myself, do you know what´s happening?

At this time although this two problems (1.9 and Metro?) , the Rushduino is working just fine but in NTSC and I need to get my images in PAL_25fps how do I change that?

About the line that is missing do you have any idea how to arranje it to work?

Cheers,
Henrique

PS: Can I just power up the board by the serial link, or do I have to have power on the "servo" port?

JohnyGab

Post by JohnyGab »

Check here for V4 : http://code.google.com/p/rushduino-osd/ ... akechanges

also, Metro is a timing librarie that need to be added to your Arduino files. That should make it work

V4 of the code is now made to work with Arduino V1.0

For your pal Issue, I'll make code modification the help with that but, actually, the easyest way is to go into the last section of Max7456 and you'll see that

// make sure the Max7456 is enabled
spi_transfer(VM0_reg);
spi_transfer(OSD_ENABLE|VIDEO_MODE_NTSC);
digitalWrite(MAX7456SELECT,HIGH);
delay(100);

change the text in bold, italic, underlined to VIDEO_MODE_PAL

And it will make it work with pal.

then, in the config.h, there is a define secontion named General configuration, just change NTSC to PAL and it should place caracter at the good place on the screen.

sorry, thats a section i did not pass so much time, but i'll do it!

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi Gab thank´s. I dont know about last dev but the missing line UartSendData(); still is on 1.9 and it is not compiling!

Cheers,
H

Update: V4 it´s working fine and in PAL Mode with above changes, the caracters are in a perfect place.

Update: OK, I was not copying the add´s to the right place on 1.9 serial. At this time is working 95%, because it dont display the aux´s on (baro and mag) and the RC rate is 45 should be 90 How do I solve this issues?

JohnyGab

Post by JohnyGab »

I'll work on that ;). Thanks for pointing me bugs!

JohnyGab

Post by JohnyGab »

i'm currently re-wrinting the serial section so the OSD will work with the 'M' string, once that will be done, OSD will work without modifying the multiwii code.

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

The 'M' string changes between the versions.
And it will just work with one version of MWC.

I think it's better to use a static OSD string in serial.
It will then be crosscompatible between all versions of MVC.

There is alredy a 'O' string in serial.
Maby it's possible to expand it or create a 'R' string (Rushduino) .
It will be more future proofed.
Build the string you want with all importent data.
Start with the 'M' string and strip down untill you have everything you want left.

Its' not funny to have a unit who is locked to a single version.

/Patrik

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi Gab,

I calibrated the voltage with the formula on config.h and it works just fine, I do not say the same about RSSI. First without any signal I get 116 on RSSIADC, and when I give signal it drops a litlle and provides a inconstant value jumping between 79 and 103.
I know that this is not OK but I tryI to calibrate this two ways:

1- Get the max value and take the signal out for min (it should be 0) but it rises to 116.

2- Get the max value with RC on, the min value far way inside the house with my hand on the antenna waiting to drop to the lower value that was 30 and then fast to update before it rises up! ok I have 100 on the board with the RC on and 0 with it OFF. After save and exit I get an inconstant value of 135% signal RC on and 20% off. I can not trust this values. Probably this should be debuged like the other ones (acc baro and mag).

My RSSI is 1.23v RC ON and 0.20 RC OFF, this should be enough to get a relyable RSSI on OSD, I just dont get the part to have 116 with no RSSI signal!? my guess is that voltage is interfering with the RSSI because when I take the Batt 1 out, RSSI drops to 0 slowly.

Idea: the min value could be saved auto a few seconds later to give time to turn off the radio after the order to set has been given! probably a smal delay will do it.

Cheers,
Henrique

JohnyGab

Post by JohnyGab »

PatrikE wrote:The 'M' string changes between the versions.
And it will just work with one version of MWC.

I think it's better to use a static OSD string in serial.
It will then be crosscompatible between all versions of MVC.

There is alredy a 'O' string in serial.
Maby it's possible to expand it or create a 'R' string (Rushduino) .
It will be more future proofed.
Build the string you want with all importent data.
Start with the 'M' string and strip down untill you have everything you want left.

Its' not funny to have a unit who is locked to a single version.

/Patrik

I need to say, I agree
But 'O' was created for another commercial OSD ( not open source ) so I cant modify the 'O' Command.
the 'O' is actually used at 10hz, but I need to confest, its not engough, because it does not containt GPS data.

You are right, I need to create something else, thats going to be more 'R' so i'll specify its modification, so there will be no more limitation.

JohnyGab

Post by JohnyGab »

kataventos wrote:Hi Gab,

I calibrated the voltage with the formula on config.h and it works just fine, I do not say the same about RSSI. First without any signal I get 116 on RSSIADC, and when I give signal it drops a litlle and provides a inconstant value jumping between 79 and 103.
I know that this is not OK but I tryI to calibrate this two ways:

1- Get the max value and take the signal out for min (it should be 0) but it rises to 116.

2- Get the max value with RC on, the min value far way inside the house with my hand on the antenna waiting to drop to the lower value that was 30 and then fast to update before it rises up! ok I have 100 on the board with the RC on and 0 with it OFF. After save and exit I get an inconstant value of 135% signal RC on and 20% off. I can not trust this values. Probably this should be debuged like the other ones (acc baro and mag).

My RSSI is 1.23v RC ON and 0.20 RC OFF, this should be enough to get a relyable RSSI on OSD, I just dont get the part to have 116 with no RSSI signal!? my guess is that voltage is interfering with the RSSI because when I take the Batt 1 out, RSSI drops to 0 slowly.

Idea: the min value could be saved auto a few seconds later to give time to turn off the radio after the order to set has been given! probably a smal delay will do it.

Cheers,
Henrique

Well, thats a big post,

I agree, RssiMin have to be mesured only when the Tx is off, so there is a need for a time once you Yaw left or Right on the RssiMin line in the config menu.
I just added a 15 second timer to let the time for the filter to adjust itself to the ADC. now you have 15 second, then it reccord the voltage of whats a RssiMin.

There is still the logo bug ( acc, baro, mag ), i'll correct that and post the new version

JohnyGab

Post by JohnyGab »

Now working with the Sensor Display bug, its strange because when asking the 'O' Command, it send me
serialize8(accMode|baroMode<<1|magMode<<2);

...and even with all sensor activated, the OSD see 0b00000000

Strange....

JohnyGab

Post by JohnyGab »

I'll make it work that way :
'R' command instead of 'O' : So i'll control the content of that section
'Y' will be a PID information request : So i'll control again independently of the 'M' command
'Z' will be a PID write to EEPROM from OSD to Multiwii, thats with the idea that the Rushduino OSD will work still work, even with a non updated Rushduino Code with a newer version of the mutliwii.

case 'R':
serialize8('O');
for(i=0;i<3;i++) serialize16(accSmooth[i]);
for(i=0;i<3;i++) serialize16(gyroData[i]);
serialize16(EstAlt*10.0f);
serialize16(heading);
for(i=0;i<2;i++) serialize16(angle[i]);
for(i=0;i<6;i++) serialize16(motor[i]);
for(i=0;i<6;i++) {serialize16(rcData[i]);}
serialize8(nunchuk|ACC<<1|BARO<<2|MAG<<3);
serialize8(accMode|baroMode<<1|magMode<<2|(GPSModeHome|GPSModeHold)<<3);
serialize16(cycleTime);
serialize16(GPS_distanceToHome);
serialize16(GPS_directionToHome);
serialize8(GPS_numSat);
serialize8(GPS_fix);
serialize8(GPS_update);
serialize8(VERSION); // MultiWii Firmware version
serialize16(i2c_errors_count);
serialize8('R'); //49
break;

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

JohnyGab wrote:
I agree, RssiMin have to be mesured only when the Tx is off, so there is a need for a time once you Yaw left or Right on the RssiMin line in the config menu.
I just added a 15 second timer to let the time for the filter to adjust itself to the ADC. now you have 15 second, then it reccord the voltage of whats a RssiMin.

There is still the logo bug ( acc, baro, mag ), i'll correct that and post the new version

Hi Gab,

I have updated my OSD to V5. Great ;) , it is perfect now with the 15sec delay to reset min value! I wish I could help you with the code but...

Is it possible to have on the next dev a sign like the sensors to display armed motors? This is good for FPV flyers, I know that the OSD can be configured with middle throttle, this way motors will not arm, but probably is a easy thing for you to code and is good info to have on screen.

PS: On startup I have NTSC info after the version, but I´m in PAl mode!? :)

Cheers,
H

JohnyGab

Post by JohnyGab »

Hi
Thats whats cool about Open project, I make revision fast, user find bug fast, ...bug are corrected fast

I can show a text in the screen like : "Motors are off" ....and make it disapear when motor are armed ( will make the screen cleaner when motor are armed ) ???

For the Ntsc vs Pal bug, its corrected for next rev.

I'm trying to figure out why sensors activation/desactivation does not work

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi Gab, Thanks for the fast everything :) I dont know if it is easy but next to the sensors could be a blinking (or not) point "like a led" saying they´re armed, just as easy as this! you dont need to write a text to that, other thing is to have the same info ON or OFF while in config menu. This way you always know how the motors are. When I was testing my new config (props off of course) I noticed that when I was setting the end points I had accidently armed the motors! (before I found that OSD works with mid throtlle) :) other thing that you did great was a dead point between page menu (like exit, save and exit etc) and the access to the page config´s this way it alowed to do this, set end point for example.

PS: I noticed that you have already a disable battery alarm that can be configured, at this time it is to 3.2v cell... is this working if I enable it and what type of visual alarm is?

Cheers,
Henrique
Last edited by kataventos on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dramida

Post by dramida »

Interesting work here but topic lacks of video clips. For me would be more concludent about results you get. I know it looks quite similar to remzibi osd (are you tired to hear this?) but you really have to release some videos to have feedback.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

dramida wrote: but you really have to release some videos to have feedback.

http://vimeo.com/33702310

From this one you can see others.

Cheers,
H

Bledi

Post by Bledi »

@JohnyGab

You really do a good job.
Actually a want to buy a OSD. I try to find different fonctions the commun one (battery level, time ...) and specials ones for multiwii like AH, GPS, PID setting.
The problem is that, like most users, I use a Arduino pro mini so for the moment I can use your board and a GPS.
There is different solution
- The Rushduino : very well intergrate to multiwii, AH, and PID setting but NO GPS or need a second serial port to add it
- The Remzibi : a good GPS, AH but not directly support by multiwii, NO AH
- A home made OSD to integrate differents firmware (I2C GPS, AH, ...) but I don't like that

What do you think of merge different projets, in particulary the I2C-GPS on arduino to have THE MUST HAVE OSD for multiwii.

dialfonzo

Post by dialfonzo »

JohnyGab

Post by JohnyGab »

Bledi wrote:@JohnyGab

You really do a good job.
Actually a want to buy a OSD. I try to find different fonctions the commun one (battery level, time ...) and specials ones for multiwii like AH, GPS, PID setting.
The problem is that, like most users, I use a Arduino pro mini so for the moment I can use your board and a GPS.
There is different solution
- The Rushduino : very well intergrate to multiwii, AH, and PID setting but NO GPS or need a second serial port to add it
- The Remzibi : a good GPS, AH but not directly support by multiwii, NO AH
- A home made OSD to integrate differents firmware (I2C GPS, AH, ...) but I don't like that

What do you think of merge different projets, in particulary the I2C-GPS on arduino to have THE MUST HAVE OSD for multiwii.

Thanks for the comment.
The rushduino v6 will allow user to see gps data from what multiwii have. For now gps is on the multiwii side. But i'm workingon a i2c-gps, that will make all possible,mits a mather of time, chinese new year delay !

Bledi

Post by Bledi »

Your a boss, ;)

JohnyGab

Post by JohnyGab »

Here is a video showing what i'm working on. V5 had the same Rssi feature
So it show : -how to calibrate Rssi signal min and max using the OSD

JohnyGab

Post by JohnyGab »

Here is a video showing what i'm working on. V5 had the same Rssi feature
So it show : -how to calibrate Rssi signal min and max using the OSD
-new feature, Motor warning, It show permanently if motor are not armed, if you arm them, it show another warning, but blinking for 10 second.
-Capacity of choosing Narrow screen and Wide screen with the OSD

V6 will also containt : -Sensor prensent/active bug correction
-Gps data available ( arrow to home and distance )...need some work for speed ( modify multiwiicode to make it available via serial link )

Because there is 4 different location for each display information ( NTSC, PAL, NAROW, WIDE ) I hope that you understand that its hard for me to test each of these info. But if you have a specific problem, just give me the good position for the info, and i'll correct the code.

http://vimeo.com/35550898

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi Gab,
I saw the video about V6 and I like it ;) keep up the good work. I wish I could do more then use, report and sometimes give :idea: .

About the 3rd and 4th analog ports info ( 0 to 20 and 0 to 5 volts), are you going to introduce them now? those are infos that I would like to have on screen basicly to my second batt!

Cheers,
Henrique

JohnyGab

Post by JohnyGab »

Tonight, this is what i've done, yup sometime....I fly with them ;)

I build this wonderfull Dialfonzo Quadcopter, with 2213n motors, Rushduino flight controller FTDI and a IMU based on MPU-6000 gyro/acc combo ;) and mystery 30A ESC.

For others analog input. I dont know, for now, its not my #1 priority, GPS is ....more important ;)

shikra

Post by shikra »

Great progress. This will be an awesome combination with Multiwii. Every day things get better!

JohnyGab

Post by JohnyGab »

V6 is ready and support GPS but

As I have no time to test it outside, i need help of one of you that actually have the GPS.

Distance to home is in meter now, but will support foot/feet unit in futur.

direction to home is programed and should work, but I assumed that the direction to home value in the multiwii code was a value from -180 to 180, that 0 is straight foward, -90 deg is full left, and 90 is full right.

I'll release that that way, but i have to way to test it now as I have no time with good weather, and the GPS have no fix inside my house

any help will be great on this one.

I'll post the rev this week

Bledi

Post by Bledi »

Excellent !!! Before my order just a question, this version use the GPS connected to the multiwii board or is the solution with a GPS directly connected to your board ? (still the problem of the promini vs mega)

JohnyGab

Post by JohnyGab »

Gps data are take via the multiwii.
But, for your info, there will be soon a I2C gpa that will work on the promini

JohnyGab

Post by JohnyGab »

Todays new code : http://code.google.com/p/rushduino-osd/ ... akechanges

Handle GPS ;)

and sensors activation bug solved

JohnyGab

Post by JohnyGab »

1 Week sale, 18% off on all Rushduino named product

Flight controller
Citrus-IMU
Flight Controller USB
OSD

;)

1 week only

Bledi

Post by Bledi »

Dingggggggggg Ordered

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi,

this V6 dont work at all, it have so many bugs :cry: .

I am on 20120203_Multiwii_code, with the serial changes (case´s Y,Z and 0) everything compile nice and quick :D but after upload and fire up, this is what I got:

1- sometimes it goes straight to PID adjustment and all values are ZERO. No RC control at all.
2- sometimes it it goes " " " and all values are correct (this is the odd part! I think that it have to do with serial com speed because if I connect the OSD after multiwii it have values and control).
3-sometimes I got a mag on screen (without having), sometimes I dont.
4-the armed and not armed motors is a random bug, it appear´s when it want ( never in the right time ).
5-the RC rate / EXP still the same (not working correctly / wrong values).

Hope you fix this fast because time dont stop and Multiwii 2.0 is almost ready ;)

About the implementation on multiwii code to avoid constant serial adds and changes!? I think you should talk with Alex.

Cheers,
Henrique

JohnyGab

Post by JohnyGab »

Thats the problem when I manage to work with multiple multiwii version. Each time there is a new version, something change and, some time I dont see it ;)

Y Z and O string are hard to standardize because of the rest of the multiwii code.

When multiwii 2.0 will be out, it will be easier because I will give out a new version, that fit Multiwii string, now...with GPS implementation, things have change.

I talked to alex, for now, Y and Z will not be implemented in multiwii code, because in fact, I should replace O on my side by M, and I should replace Y by M also...and Z by the W command, so the OSD will work correctly without any multiwii modification, but this way, the OSD will be multiwii version dependent.

Soo much things are comming, and I had to say, GPS I2C is ready, so now i'll work again with Rushduino OSD when I have time !

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

JohnyGab wrote:Thats the problem when I manage to work with multiple multiwii version. Each time there is a new version, something change and, some time I dont see it ;)

Hi Gab,

OK, I understand that, try to be like always (super great). What version or dev did you use to work on V6? You should on every release to mention the dev that the changes apply to! ;)

Cheers,
H

JohnyGab

Post by JohnyGab »

I think that was with MultiWii_dev_20111220.zip

timecop

Post by timecop »

JohnyGab wrote:Soo much things are comming, and I had to say, GPS I2C is ready, so now i'll work again with Rushduino OSD when I have time !

Great, obsoleted from the start.

I don't even know why people are bothering with max7688 or whatever OSDs in 2012, for the price of that max chip you can build a fully graphical OSD with a syncsep and stm32. and while you're there support stupid stuff like "i2c GPS" and other crap off same board because you got 72mhz of proper processor to work with, even if you have to spend most of it DMA'ing video out through SPI... oh, wait.. DMA doesn't use processor resources :)

Doing nothing whlie looking busy.

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi dongs,

Agree.. Shell we start? ;)

I was thinking to re-flash HK super simple, but 20k SRAM + DMA makes me feel better. ;)

regards,
ziss_dm

timecop

Post by timecop »

openpilot OSD already does all this and uses stm32f2 processor. there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi,

Is it finished?

regards,
ziss_dm