Quadcopter Not flying

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
Nash

Quadcopter Not flying

Post by Nash »

Hello Team,

I am trying to build an arduino quadcopter using arduino nano flashed with multiwii firmware with mpu6050 connected and standard flysky fs-i6s transmitter with FS-IA10B as reciever with ppm signal. I have connected the receiver 1st (PPM Pin) to the pin D2 of the arduino nano and also uncommented the following lines in multiwii config.h file.

#define QUADX
#define NANOWII
#define SERIAL_SUM_PPM ROLL,PITCH,THROTTLE,YAW,AUX1,AUX2,AUX3,AUX4,8,9,10,11

My copter is getting armed but it is not hovering and flying. I have calibrated the mpu in multiconfig gui by rotating the copter in all direction for 30sec and followed this link http://www.multiwii.com/wiki/index.php? ... alibration for esc calibration.

Kindly let me know the reason for which my copter is not flying. Also help me solve my problem. Also about the ESC calibration by multiwii code provided, do I need to do the calibration by uncommenting the fllowing line

//#define ESC_CALIB_CANNOT_FLY // uncomment to activate

What output does this line gives after uncommenting , how would we know that esc's are calibarted.

Thank You

RCvertt

Re: Quadcopter Not flying

Post by RCvertt »

"I have calibrated the mpu in multiconfig gui by rotating the copter in all direction for 30sec"

Hi. Do not move the copter during calibration of mpu6050. Calibrate gyro with stick command and waite 20 seconds. Calibrate accel with GUI then wait another 20 seconds.

You only move the copter during magnetometer calibration. You do not have a magnetometer, so don't move the copter.

//#define ESC_CALIB_CANNOT_FLY // I have no idea what that is. I never touched it. I calibrate each ESC directly from the receiver one at a time. It's the easiest method. Calibrate your TX first, then calibrate the ESC one at a time, directly from the receiver.

RCvertt

Post by RCvertt »

NANOWII is not the same as an Arduino Nano.

Try...
#define QUADX
#define GY_521 // Chinese 6 DOF with MPU6050, LLC

The Arduino Nano is auto-detected. You don't have to define anything for it in the code. In (def.h) file, your Nano is automatically recongnized as a Pro Mini when you select the chip type in the IDE, which is close enough.

Code: Select all

// Proc auto detection
#if defined(__AVR_ATmega168__) || defined(__AVR_ATmega328P__)
  #define PROMINI

Nash

Post by Nash »

Hi RCvertt,

I have tried as per the above suggestion and enabled #define GY_521 and also calibrated the each ESC separately by giving it to the receiver throttle pin. But still no luck drone is flying. Am using the flysky tx and rx with the mode set as PPM and also i have enabled the below line in the multiwii code, also checked in multiwii config gui am getting the variations from the tx if i vary roll,pitch,throttle and yaw changes are showing in multiwii config but my quad is not hovering. Kindly let me know what other parameters i have to check.

Thank You

RCvertt

Post by RCvertt »

Hi Nash.

You say throttle moves in the GUI. Do the motors also show they are getting power in the GUI?

If motors show they are getting power in the GUI, arming copter should make all motors jump up to minimum power level, then I'm not sure what else to try. It should work.

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

RCvertt wrote://#define ESC_CALIB_CANNOT_FLY // I have no idea what that is. I never touched it. I calibrate each ESC directly from the receiver one at a time. It's the easiest method. Calibrate your TX first, then calibrate the ESC one at a time, directly from the receiver.

If you uncomment this line means that you can only do the esc calibration, it's not usable for flight.
If I remember well, you must switch the FC on with the motor stick of RC at max, then put the motor stick at min. That's all.
After this, comment again that line, recompile and reflash.

Nash

Post by Nash »

Hey, can any one help me with understanding the motor sequence ( showing motor position m1,m2,m3,m4) with Arduino pro-micro and Arduino nano pins for quad x configuration. Also i wanted to know that in output.cpp under Motor Pin order section there is defined motor pins for quad + so if we are using quad x do we need to add it by ourself??

/**************************************************************************************/
/*************** Motor Pin order ********************/
/**************************************************************************************/
// since we are uing the PWM generation in a direct way, the pin order is just to inizialie the right pins
// its not possible to change a PWM output pin just by changing the order
#if defined(PROMINI)
uint8_t PWM_PIN[8] = {9,10,11,3,6,5,A2,12}; //for a quad+: rear,right,left,front
#endif
#if defined(PROMICRO)
#if !defined(HWPWM6)
#if defined(TEENSY20)
uint8_t PWM_PIN[8] = {14,15,9,12,22,18,16,17}; //for a quad+: rear,right,left,front
#elif defined(A32U4_4_HW_PWM_SERVOS)
uint8_t PWM_PIN[8] = {6,9,10,11,5,13,SW_PWM_P3,SW_PWM_P4}; //
#else
uint8_t PWM_PIN[8] = {9,10,5,6,4,A2,SW_PWM_P3,SW_PWM_P4}; //for a quad+: rear,right,left,front
#endif
#else
#if defined(TEENSY20)
uint8_t PWM_PIN[8] = {14,15,9,12,4,10,16,17}; //for a quad+: rear,right,left,front
uint8_t PWM_PIN[8] = {6,9,10,11,5,13,SW_PWM_P3,SW_PWM_P4}; //
#else
uint8_t PWM_PIN[8] = {9,10,5,6,11,13,SW_PWM_P3,SW_PWM_P4}; //for a quad+: rear,right,left,front
#endif
#endif
#endif
#if defined(MEGA)
uint8_t PWM_PIN[8] = {3,5,6,2,7,8,9,10}; //for a quad+: rear,right,left,front //+ for y6: 7:under right 8:under left
#endif

Am using Arduino Nano with below setup

Motors Arduino Nano Pins Position
M1 ( CCW ) D3 Front Right
M2 (CW ) D10 Rear Right
M3 ( CCW ) D9 Rear Left
M4 ( CW ) D11 Front Left

Is the above connection setup is correct, if not kindly send me the correct connection.

Thank You

RCvertt

Post by RCvertt »

config.h is the only file you should modify. I suspect you have changed to much code and should start with a fresh code base.

There is a "Define QuadX" that you need to uncomment to get QuadX working.

There is a "Define QuadPlus" if you want to use + configuration.

Nash

Post by Nash »

Do I only need to un-comment some lines in config.h based on copter type, no other files to be change in multiwii right? Also can you please confirm me with the motor sequencing asked in previous post.

Am getting problem in yaw, once i ARM the quad rear right and front left motors speed is increasing by itself without me change in the throttle. Kindly help.

Thank You

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

That's normal behaivour..
The PID controller is trying to correct small errors and the copter is sitting static.
Results in some motors is "spinning up" to compensate.

Nash

Post by Nash »

Is this configuration correct

Motors----->Arduino Nano---->Pins Position
M1 ( CCW )-------> D3------>Front Right
M2 (CW )-------> D10------->Rear Right
M3 ( CCW ) ------->D9------->Rear Left
M4 ( CW )------->D11------->Front Left

and

Motors-->Arduino Promicro-->Pins Position
M1 ( CCW )-------> 9------>Front Right
M2 (CW )-------> 10------->Rear Right
M3 ( CCW ) ------->5------->Rear Left
M4 ( CW )------->6------->Front Left

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

If you haven't enabled #define HWPWM6 or #define A32U4_4_HW_PWM_SERVOS

uint8_t PWM_PIN[8] = {9,10,5,6,11,13,SW_PWM_P3,SW_PWM_P4};   //for a quad+: rear,right,left,front

The odrer shoulb be.
M1 ( CCW )-------> D9------>Front Right
M2 (CW ) -------> D10------->Rear Right
M3 ( CCW ) ------->D5------->Rear Left
M4 ( CW ) ------->D6------->Front Left

A tip Use the code wrapper to link code.
It's almost impossible to follow #if #else #endif in normal text

/***************                  Motor Pin order                  ********************/
// since we are uing the PWM generation in a direct way, the pin order is just to inizialie the right pins
// its not possible to change a PWM output pin just by changing the order
#if defined(PROMINI)
  uint8_t PWM_PIN[8] = {9,10,11,3,6,5,A2,12};   //for a quad+: rear,right,left,front
#endif
#if defined(PROMICRO)
  #if !defined(HWPWM6)
    #if defined(TEENSY20)
      uint8_t PWM_PIN[8] = {14,15,9,12,22,18,16,17};   //for a quad+: rear,right,left,front
      uint8_t PWM_PIN[8] = {6,9,10,11,5,13,SW_PWM_P3,SW_PWM_P4};   //
    #else
    uint8_t PWM_PIN[8] = {9,10,5,6,4,A2,SW_PWM_P3,SW_PWM_P4};   //for a quad+: rear,right,left,front
    #endif
  #else
    #if defined(TEENSY20)
      uint8_t PWM_PIN[8] = {14,15,9,12,4,10,16,17};   //for a quad+: rear,right,left,front
      uint8_t PWM_PIN[8] = {6,9,10,11,5,13,SW_PWM_P3,SW_PWM_P4};   //
    #else
      uint8_t PWM_PIN[8] = {9,10,5,6,11,13,SW_PWM_P3,SW_PWM_P4};   //for a quad+: rear,right,left,front
    #endif
  #endif
#endif
#if defined(MEGA)
  uint8_t PWM_PIN[8] = {3,5,6,2,7,8,9,10};      //for a quad+: rear,right,left,front   //+ for y6: 7:under right  8:under left
#endif

Nash

Post by Nash »

Hello, I have attached a video of multiwii config, in which I am getting gyro drift problem for the quad x configuration with promicro and mpu6050 connected. Kindly check and suggest.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/mRZb5flM8RQ[/youtube]

Thank You

RCvertt

Post by RCvertt »

Hi. I checked your video.

It might be normal. The GUI may drift a lot in yaw since you don't have a magnetometer. The quad won't actually drift that much during flight though. Your roll and pitch look level with no drift which is what matters the most.

To be safe, you should calibrate the accel every time you upload code. Do that by calibrating the gyro first then do the accel. Calibrate the gyro every time before each flight with the TX stick combo. Wait 20 seconds before trying to fly to give time for the calibration to work. I still think you will see drift in yaw in the GUI though due to no mag. Just ignore it.

Nash

Post by Nash »

Hi,

Thank you for your inputs, but still my quad is not flying.. As per this image i have attached motors in the same sequence

https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/atta ... oMicro.jpg

M1 ( CW )-------> D9------>Rear Right
M2 (CCW ) -------> D10------->Front Right
M3 ( CCW ) ------->D5------->Rear Left
M4 ( CW ) ------->D6------->Front Left

Is this correct??

RCvertt

Post by RCvertt »

Sorry. I have only used Arduino ProMini or Arduino Nano that have 328p chip.

I have never used ProMicro which has the ATmega32U4 chip, so I can't help with that.

Nash

Post by Nash »

Can you send me the config.h and motor sequence for Arduino ProMini or Arduino Nano i will try with the same.

RCvertt

Post by RCvertt »

This was my most recent build done 6 months ago. I have no idea what the motor sequence is. It's just a standard quadPlus for multiwii.

Info in this thread...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... t-a-goodie

Image of copter
Image of copter

MultiWii.zip
Multiwii single wire PPM
(166.6 KiB) Downloaded 260 times

Nash

Post by Nash »

It would be really help full if any one can share the complete connection and code with motor sequence for quad x with promicro and mpu6050. Also the PID values for which quad has flown correctly.

Am getting wobbles in my quad over 50% throttle and is not flying correctly. Kindly help.

Thank You

RCvertt

Post by RCvertt »

If it wobbles fast, turn P down.

If it wobbles slow, turn P up.

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

How's your vibrations in the frame?
You can test to add some filtering on Gyro.
Start with

#define GYRO_LPF_42HZ

And later you can test this.

/************************    Moving Average Gyros    **********************************/
      #define MMGYRO 10                      // (*) Active Moving Average Function for Gyros
      #define MMGYROVECTORLENGTH 15          // Length of Moving Average Vector (maximum value for tunable MMGYRO