MWii development beyond v2.4

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Hi everyone,
it has been a long time - lots of alternate FCs in existance and the original MWii google code repository gone.

After some consultation with Alex and PatrikE we will continue maintaining the original code base - albeit with a slightly shifted focus. Main aspects are
  1. do not break compatibility with 328p and 32u4 mcu
  2. focus on 2560 mcu support (without waisting the endless resources of this mcu)
  3. continue following Alex' basic guidelines (not a product, not academic but usable and very flyable)
  4. fix what is broken
  5. add features sparingly but avoid what is beyond the scope of a FC
  6. evolve hardware support
  7. have fun

As a first step, I have access to the new repository at github. and have revived the nightly build with COPTERTEST compilations.
More to come over time (it is getting warmer and flying is just nice) Just wanted to let you know it is not completely over - yet.

Thoughts anyone?

copterrichie

Re: MWii development beyond v2.4

Post by copterrichie »

Good to know MWii is alive.

Kbev5709

Post by Kbev5709 »

Are people like EOSBandi going to still be involved? Would love to see updated WinGUI and things like that.

gregd72002

Post by gregd72002 »

What about MW website revamp, maybe it would be good time to do so? :)

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Website is Alex" domain alone. You will have to address him

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

very happy that MWii continue ...
I hope Alex, Hamburger and all developers will complete (togheter Eosbandi if read this post) some improvements in navigation features.
Improve Automatic Landing routine (i've suggested something time ago).
As per Naz...a, the possibility to move the copter (loiter) while in Hold position.
Improve altitude control (go up....go down...) while in Hold position.
Bye all
Enjoi MWii, season started.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

I believe the question should be, just how much outside pressure is being applied by members of the FAA and other protesting entities to suspend development? There are bills in the US congress and similar bills in other countries making it harder for drone owners/builders.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

I cannot see any law prohibiting my developing some FC software. Whether local law regulates your using it is a different matter

Leo

Post by Leo »

Well, I am very happy about the news!

I don't plan on switching to any new hardware. MW and 2560 work fine for me. However tweaks e.g. filtering and cleanup wouldn't hurt any.
And I'm sure other platforms e.g. Cleanflight have improved algorithms that could be implemented in MW.

I would also hope that EOSBandi will update WinGUI to the latest MW version.

I'm all for the mentioned main aspects and look forward to contributing in any way I can.

Many thanks to all active contributors!

mgros

Post by mgros »

Fantastic new MWII versions!!!!!

ezio

Post by ezio »

Finally!

Bart

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

Hi guys,
Where and when we can suggest something and so find some new devs ? :mrgreen:
Bye all
carlo

howardhb

Post by howardhb »

...and I'm still here too ;)

RCvertt

Post by RCvertt »

Hamburger wrote:...
a. do not break compatibility with 328p and 32u4 mcu
b. focus on 2560 mcu support (without waisting the endless resources of this mcu)
f. evolve hardware support

Thoughts anyone?

Hi. Good to see it continuing.

Not sure I understand (a and b). Arduino now supports 32 bit chips on the Arduino Zero and Arduino Due, so that sounds like the two boards that should be supported. Now that arduino officially supports 32 bit chips, I don't understand the legacy support of much older chips still?

I only like the 328p because it's on the promini and Nano boards that I use. I bet those boards will soon use the Arduino Zero chip.

I support what ever path is taken though.

Stars112

Post by Stars112 »

MultiWii 2.5 MUST HAVE:

- OneShot (Multi)
- Air Mode

handsomejackuk

Post by handsomejackuk »

long may it last i still have my home built flight controller with an arduino nano 328p arduino i still find it a challenge with cleanflight so easy to access the command line. but i have just reflashed tonite to get rid of my barometer as i dont use it anymore... what is the latest version that is known to work 100% with and arduin 328p please as i think my version may be a few years old now ?

thanks again

Al.

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

you can find the stable releases here.
https://code.google.com/archive/p/multiwii/

they should all work on a 328.
2.4 can be tight to fit with too many sensors though.
but without Gps and baro it should work.

gregd72002

Post by gregd72002 »

I'm using 2.4 on 328 with baro and gps but no LED or Alarm. It takes around 93% of the available space. Runs with no problems.

RCvertt

Post by RCvertt »

No visible movement in this thread in a year. No real movement on this project in 2 years. This project still on life support or is it time to call it?

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

right - I need to consolidate some changes and submit. Thanks for reminding me.

synersignart

Post by synersignart »

is there any thing I can Do? since im still studying how those MSP works might need some help

synersignart

Post by synersignart »

(EOSBandi) are you still active???

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

synersignart wrote:(EOSBandi) are you still active???

Andras Schaffer alias Eosbandi has a repo here https://github.com/EosBandi?tab=overview&from=2016-12-01&to=2016-12-31 but But seems inactive since 2016.
I loved his MultiWiiWinGui!
I hope he is fine. Andras please nock If you are there :)

RCvertt

Post by RCvertt »

Hamburger wrote:right - I need to consolidate some changes and submit. Thanks for reminding me.
Sounds great! Eager and willing to test when ready.

synersignart

Post by synersignart »

carlonb wrote:

Andras Schaffer alias Eosbandi has a repo here https://github.com/EosBandi?tab=overview&from=2016-12-01&to=2016-12-31 but But seems inactive since 2016.

me too I love it in a way its sad to find it outdated , if fact I want to contact him as well as other developers because I want to update his software and improve it more.
infact after Google map change API I have to rebuild partially his software inorder to keep up. I have other ideas on how. but unfortunately im no programmer So I'd need help from some of you guys. PM me if anyone interested to develop it further.

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

synersignart wrote:
carlonb wrote:

me too I love it in a way its sad to find it outdated , if fact I want to contact him as well as other developers because I want to update his software and improve it more.
infact after Google map change API I have to rebuild partially his software inorder to keep up. I have other ideas on how. but unfortunately im no programmer So I'd need help from some of you guys. PM me if anyone interested to develop it further.

I looked at MultiWiiWinGui but it's difficult for me.
I would like an upgrade and its compatibility with iNAV that uses the same communication protocol with some minor modification.
If someone starts, with a little boost I can help.

synersignart

Post by synersignart »

looks good with me, how do we get around. ? Id have the fixed up codes mostly on maps
But whats your specialty?

for the fact the original WinGUI is alot easier to understand than Mission Planner by Adupilot much less function though. but setup is pretty straightforward so are the missions.
anyone Plays around with C# Visual studio here then ?

I'd Like to add Trigger cam function to they waypoint though but this would require modifying the codes of the multiwii and the GUI just have no idea how go about it .

synersignart

Post by synersignart »

what about you Ezio , perhaps you can shed some inputs on updating this software.

synersignart

Post by synersignart »

ring ring . anyone , still interested in developing further?

RCvertt

Post by RCvertt »

Wish I could help in that respect but I'm not a programmer.

I have 2.4 installed in my Banana Hobbies V22. Not sure Level mode is working that great for the motors but it hovers good with level mode off and the accel only on the motor tilt servos.

I'll have to get the exact values but the accel appears to have roll and pitch swapped and going the wrong direction. Using the MPU6050 sensor option with no "forced" orientation, just default sensor orientation.

It's a little difficult to tell if the accel is going the correct direction. The roll and pitch indicators work good but don't respond to code changes. After changing the sensor orientation in code, the numeric values on the bottom left of the configurator did change.

synersignart

Post by synersignart »

me too , but I been working with some programmers trying to understand the last official MW codes in order to do developments on it. whats funny is none of them are RC Pilots but familiar in other field of robitics

ezio

Post by ezio »

synersignart wrote:what about you Ezio , perhaps you can shed some inputs on updating this software.
I haven't touched C# for ages. I think there is no point to keep multiwii alive any longer. Inav does the same thing as multiwii much better.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Pedro14755

Post by Pedro14755 »

This is great news. I am an avid user of 8bit boards running Atmega32U4. Specifically AlienWii. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that a lot of you guys use but I love them anyway :)

I hope that it is OK to ask here, but I am interested in the implementation of config profiles in 2.4 as discussed here http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2538 and was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me a little about it please?

juanquy

Post by juanquy »

YEAH!!!! Good News!

synersignart

Post by synersignart »

looks good , the reason I'd ask is to fix whis winGUI by EOSBandi thats falling apart. and make it work for newer boards

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

Pedro14755

Post by Pedro14755 »

Thanks a lot PatrikE

synersignart

Post by synersignart »

guys anyway I can save EPP roam on an arduino board then have that board write the EEPROM to the Multiwii Board visa Serial.
wuld want to know the MSP commands on how .

RCvertt

Post by RCvertt »

Another year gone by and no update. Have to call it. Kind of a shame. I've used and read some reviews of the new 32 bit boards and the hover stability is no better than Multiwii was. Oh well, it might drift like crazy but at least it's 32 bit :roll:

Leo

Post by Leo »

My recommendation is to switch to INAV (https://github.com/iNavFlight/inav/wiki). It does everything MutliWii can do and more.
You will need a new FC but the switch is worth it. I've since moved on to INAV and Betaflight.
For sentimental reasons I will keep one MW quad copter as it is still a lot of fun to fly.

RCvertt

Post by RCvertt »

I'm using iNav now for the past month. That's why I'm not that impressed with the 32bit boards that most were in such a hurry to leave this project for. At best the stability is the same as Multiwii but no where near noticeable. My blade inductrix is 100 time more stable.

But you are unfortunately right. iNav, Betaflight, Cleanflight are the way to go for anyone wanting to continue with this project.

RCvertt

Post by RCvertt »

For those like me that would like to go 32 bit but most importantly stay with the Arduino IDE, this project might be worth checking out. Time will tell. It's the most recent drone project I can find that still uses the Arduino IDE.

http://www.brokking.net/ymfc-32_main.html

He just got GPS working...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWnF3sAvONM

synersignart

Post by synersignart »

well alot suggest me to go APM and Pixhawk boards but the fact Multiwii is so open and w/o unnecessary Hex conversions use by the Ardupilot guys there is room to play with the codes . shame alot of guys calls it out dated. the funny part the robotics guys are having fun with arduino boards which is interest to them

RCvertt

Post by RCvertt »

synersignart- I agree with you. Open source and Arduino compatible is what made this project so powerful. It lost focus wanting to leave Arduino boards and the arduino IDE, the two very things that make Arduino so massively popular.

It'll take someone that understand that to bring this project back to life. So far that hasn't happened and I won't be holding my breath for it. I'd volunteer but I don't know code well enough to maintain this project.

I'm still waiting on parts to arrive for that other Arduino Quad project.

synersignart

Post by synersignart »

your Right , im currently trying to pull a team of Robotics , RC enthusiast and software developers to resurrect it , question is who else are interested to improve on this
first thing is to reverse engineer and understand how the codes work since its build up on top of another overtime by several developers.

I just realize how important is it cuz one time I've destroy one of my FC board accidentally but because much of the electronic shops supplies Arduino board and some sensors I was quickly able to rebuild the FC in a week its not perfect but it flew.

personaly I want to understand how the MSP protocol works and how to upload and download EEPROM from arduino and make it visible on serial monitor

https://github.com/mahowik/mahowii this was the last major development which is 2016 and have several improvements

RCvertt

Post by RCvertt »

Sounds good to me synersignart.

I believe a couple people here have the know how to keep this project moving technically. A couple that come to mind are...

synersignart :)
Hamburger
PatrikE
copterrichie

Forgive me for those I missed but that's just what I know off hand. But not only do we need technical but perhaps most importantly management skills. Managing the github is the biggest one. Not an easy task at all. I personally have some time to tinker on the project but zero time to manage a github.

I would also recommend moving to RcGroups instead of this forum. INav is thriving just fine on Rcgroups. This site, and all info in it will soon be gone as there is no reason for someone to keep paying for website maintenance of a dead project. And it appears that people may have been prevented from registering for this forum for a long time now due to some spam it got during a certain period of time. Locking out people from registering isn't exactly going to help keep a project going.

synersignart

Post by synersignart »

I seem to see some revival and interests in these Arduino base drones too recently due to their simplicity . we launch arduino drone Philippines last year too.
no doubt these guys fly on them too
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBrhbfi0nBw[/youtube]

right now im looking for someone who can do a Addressing for the compass QMC5883 or DA5883 since the HMC5883 or L883 seems hard to come by since late 2017 and people are hardly getting them to work.

synersignart

Post by synersignart »

so which page do you recommend to keep the discussion going for the arduino base Drones in Particular. Id like to add new functions to EOsbandi winGUI ever since His last work on it

BTW Im taking the WinGUI in if anyone can help stuffing the INAV in there

RCvertt

Post by RCvertt »

Starting a new thread in the (Scratchbuilt Multirotor Drones) section on rcgroups sounds good.

I'm not good enough with code unfortunately to help out with your WinGUI. I'm personally on the hunt for a good DIY copter that has a rock solid "Level" mode. I never got anything good from MultiWii's level mode. All of my VTOL aircraft I made with MultiWii only used P since I and D never did anything good for me either. I'm looking for something as rock solid as my little inductrix is. MultiWii would need some major upgrades in its code before that happens. Until that happens, I'll keep looking. Got the parts in for that other Arduino drone project so we'll see how that compares.

synersignart

Post by synersignart »

I think its more a tuning issue especially with odd Configurations.

I did alot of successful Arduino Drones Mainly multirotors . Quad,Tri,Y4 but yet to work on fixwings
two of my Tri copters are rocksolid and Waypoints quite well

but good to hear a new thread under Arduino drones hope people can help out.

the last Major upgrades is this one in 2016
https://github.com/mahowik/mahowii
I heard its more stable than the 2014 MWC2.4 Codes with lat of major fixes