Multiwii Pro 2.0 broken USB port - FTDI shield possible?

sutr90

Multiwii Pro 2.0 broken USB port - FTDI shield possible?

Post by sutr90 »

Hi,
I managed accidentaly to break off the micro USB connector on my Multiwii PRO based on Atmega 2560. The socket is actually still holding, but the wires on the port are broken. I have to admit it was really badly soldered...

Anyway, is it possible to solder on some pins and buy FTDI shield for Arduino? For example this one http://www.hwkitchen.com/products/ftdi-basic-breakout-5v/. As I've noticed this shield has the DTR on pin, so it can reset the Arduino when loading new firmware.

My questions:
Is it possible to use this solution?
Will this shield be powerfull enough to supply power for whole MW?
If this happened to you too, how did you solve it?

Thanks for replies,
sutr90

linuxslate

Re: Multiwii Pro 2.0 broken USB port - FTDI shield possible?

Post by linuxslate »

Not sure exactly what board you have, but they almost all have the "normal" serial pins in addition to the USB connector.

You can still use the serial 0 pins even if they are shared with on-board FTDI --- You just cannot use both at once (Which is not an issue for you, in your current situation.)

Just hook up an external FTDI adapter to those pins.

It is kind of difficult on my Crius All-in-one-pro 1.0 because those pins are on one of the little white connectors. I would have to make a tiny break-out cable. on the "Pro" that is also Also called Pirate or mega pirate - the one that is not square - it is the row of pins (possibly holes) next to the A....A Radio input connectors. (you may have to solder pins in).

A simpler, and easier solution is to just replace the USB connector. I've done this on phones and tablets.

Just make sure you get the proper replacement connector. There are many possible combinations - top of board - bottom of board -- wide side or narrow side up -- through hole or side pads .... etc.

You will need some SMT soldering skills and equipment, but it is not that bad. It's actually a pretty good "First SMT rework" project. Best part is that you can add a bit more solder so that it does not happen again.

cururu

Post by cururu »

linuxslate wrote:Not sure exactly what board you have, but they almost all have the "normal" serial pins in addition to the USB connector.

You can still use the serial 0 pins even if they are shared with on-board FTDI --- You just cannot use both at once (Which is not an issue for you, in your current situation.)

Just hook up an external FTDI adapter to those pins.

THANK YOU!

I was very sad, tried many times connecting using bluetooth...after reading your post I connected to an external FTDI adapter and voilá! Even the cable sequence is the same! Thank you linuxslate!

edit: BTW my board is a "Multiwii and Megapirate AIO Flight Controller w/FTDI (ATmega 2560) V2.0" ... i think its similar to Crius AIO v1.

cycl1ngfred

Post by cycl1ngfred »

Do you have a picture of how your resolved this? I have the exact same issue.