Antenna orientation....what is best?

FengShuiDrone

Antenna orientation....what is best?

Post by FengShuiDrone »

Last edited by FengShuiDrone on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waltr

Re: Antenna orientation....what is best?

Post by waltr »

Just match the TX/RX antenna pair orientations. Both vertical or both horizontal.
And have one set in one orientation and the other set different can help reduce interference.

Is you RC control and the BT both on 2.4GHz? You may find that the BT tx on the copter may greatly impact the RC control range. So be sure to do a Range Test.

FengShuiDrone

Post by FengShuiDrone »

Last edited by FengShuiDrone on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FengShuiDrone

Post by FengShuiDrone »

Last edited by FengShuiDrone on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pihlerm

Post by pihlerm »

You can start by reading this http://open-txu.org/home/continuing-education/introduction-to-antennas/.

I always have great problems with antenna position; also had a loss-of-signal related crash once.
It is best to have two (diversity) antennas placed at a right angle. The end of receiver antenna (that usually looks like a wire about 3 cm in length) must be as straight as possible.
You should 'see' one of the two antennas at all times from all orientations.

If you don't go further than 300 meters that shouldn't be a problem, though.
Last edited by pihlerm on Thu May 28, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FengShuiDrone

Post by FengShuiDrone »

Last edited by FengShuiDrone on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cereal_Killer

Post by Cereal_Killer »

FSD sorry for posting in your thread but I have a related question. I read the link above and while it was more than a little helpful in general it didnt answer my question...

I know you can not change the length of the whip antennas but lets say I want to run them out threw the body of my drone to the outside, can I use a shielded antenna to extend them (Lemon DSMX Rx with dial whip antenna) as long as the exposed conductor at the end is the same 31mm as the current whip only? Would I just connect the shield to GND?

FengShuiDrone

Post by FengShuiDrone »

Last edited by FengShuiDrone on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boaterguy

Post by boaterguy »

I don't quite understand what you mean. The shield of the coax cable is connected to ground, the only part of the antenna that's active is the last 31mm, think of the rest as an extension cable.

Cereal_Killer

Post by Cereal_Killer »

Thank you boaterguy, that's exactly what I was asking!

I wanted to get the physical antenna out of inside of my body but I knew you cant just solder a longer wire whip on it it'll be worse so I wanted to use a shielded cable to get the antenna portion outside of the body.