GPS NAV

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
brewski

Re: GPS NAV

Post by brewski »

jmfixitman wrote:Thank you! You were right, that fixed the connection speed issue and it connects to the GUI perfectly! I still cant get it to arm though? Even if I use an aux switch, very odd? Any other ideas?

Check your min throttle setting as well as TX min-mid-max. Get as close to 0-1500-2000 as you can for all functions & aux switch settings.

jmfixitman

Post by jmfixitman »

Awesome thanks again! It is arming and I even figured out how to disable the motors idling when armed. I have it uploaded and working great.

Deet

Post by Deet »

Sorry if this has been covered

I have tried to instal WinGui on a MAC using Parallels and windows XP, but it just won't run

Has anyone had any success? Is it XP that might be the issue?

axskin

Post by axskin »

Hello people, i am with an issue that i can't explain, my hexa, with multiwii pro board + mtk gps + external mag are function as expected on a big hexacopter, all sensors are functions relatively good, mag + baro (inc.), i had defined the mag declination, when i switch to position hold mode (angle + baro + mag) the hexacopter tends to position hold, but do a little oscilation on roll and pitch, like the P as high, i had tried a lot of PID tunes without sucess, anyone had experienced the same thing? What i should try more?

rubadub

Post by rubadub »

need advice... what's the best way code-wise to adjust the code in order to initiate LAND during GPSHOME or GPSHOLD *if* there's no GPS fix and/or if GPS fix was lost when running either HOME or HOLD?

It looks like the LAND routines are embedded into the GPS code, so it's going to take some work. This is why I'm looking for advice on how to best do it. I don't care if it's a 'blind landing' without GPS position information; I just would like a 'controlled descent' as an emergency landing option.

Rudi48

Post by Rudi48 »

Hello,

I have a question to the log parameters course (from GPS) and head (from MAG).
The first waypoint is in South-West, The number of satellites was 7 while the mission.
Mission, planned waypoints
Mission, planned waypoints

The flown course is extracted from the EZ-GUI log file, converted to a .kmz file and imported to Google Earth:
Google Earth, mission flown course
Google Earth, mission flown course

Please see the diagram below.
Spreadsheet diagram, mission course and head data
Spreadsheet diagram, mission course and head data

While the course is defined 0 to 360 degree (0 = North), the head is defined +/- 180 degree (0° = North. +90° = WEST).
The MultiWii parameter #define NAV_CONTROLS_HEADING is 1, source code comment in config.h:

Code: Select all

// copter faces toward the navigation point, maghold must be enabled for it 

The MAG was activated while the mission.

So, I understand that the heading should follow the mission course, which I can not see in the diagram.

I would appreciate, if an expert could please explain, what is going on.

More data can be found on http://www.rudiswiki.de/wiki9/QuadrocopterFrameEPP#Mission_control

Regards, Rudolf

brewski

Post by brewski »

rubadub wrote:need advice... what's the best way code-wise to adjust the code in order to initiate LAND during GPSHOME or GPSHOLD *if* there's no GPS fix and/or if GPS fix was lost when running either HOME or HOLD?

It looks like the LAND routines are embedded into the GPS code, so it's going to take some work. This is why I'm looking for advice on how to best do it. I don't care if it's a 'blind landing' without GPS position information; I just would like a 'controlled descent' as an emergency landing option.

It would also be a great feature if Land could be initiated when second level low battery voltage warning was detected.

ezio

Post by ezio »

Rudi48 wrote:Hello,

I have a question to the log parameters course (from GPS) and head (from MAG).
The first waypoint is in South-West, The number of satellites was 7 while the mission.
The attachment MultiWii_Mission_Ickstadt_2014-12-09_center.jpg is no longer available

The flown course is extracted from the EZ-GUI log file, converted to a .kmz file and imported to Google Earth:
The attachment Mission_2014-12-09-15-53_Ickstadt_GoogleEarth_center.jpg is no longer available

Please see the diagram below.
The attachment MultiWii_pre2.4r1729_mission_SAT7.png is no longer available

While the course is defined 0 to 360 degree (0 = North), the head is defined +/- 180 degree (0° = North. +90° = WEST).
The MultiWii parameter #define NAV_CONTROLS_HEADING is 1, source code comment in config.h:

Code: Select all

// copter faces toward the navigation point, maghold must be enabled for it 

The MAG was activated while the mission.

So, I understand that the heading should follow the mission course, which I can not see in the diagram.

I would appreciate, if an expert could please explain, what is going on.

More data can be found on http://www.rudiswiki.de/wiki9/QuadrocopterFrameEPP#Mission_control

Regards, Rudolf

I have checked it on my log and it behaves correctly:
Capture.PNG

Rudi48

Post by Rudi48 »

Hello Ezio,

Thank you very much, taking care about my question.
Today I have investigated another flight, with the same mission.
The mission waypoints:
MultiWii_Mission_Ickstadt_2014-12-09_center.jpg

The flown course (Google Earth):
Mission_201412091559_GoogleEarth.jpg

Spreadsheet diagram of GPS course, MAG -head+180, BARO attitude:
MultiWii_pre2.4r1729_mission_SAT7_-head+180.png

With the raw head value (+/- 180 degree) modified counter clockwise to 360 degree, I see now somewhat parallel curves.
But for me it is still difficult to understand.

Regards, Rudolf

ezio

Post by ezio »

Rudi48 wrote:Hello Ezio,

Thank you very much, taking care about my question.
Today I have investigated another flight, with the same mission.
The mission waypoints:
MultiWii_Mission_Ickstadt_2014-12-09_center.jpg

The flown course (Google Earth):
Mission_201412091559_GoogleEarth.jpg

Spreadsheet diagram of GPS course, MAG -head+180, BARO attitude:
MultiWii_pre2.4r1729_mission_SAT7_-head+180.png

With the raw head value (+/- 180 degree) modified counter clockwise to 360 degree, I see now somewhat parallel curves.
But for me it is still difficult to understand.

Regards, Rudolf

Take a look at this file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/diva72lh5h002ok/MultiWiiLog_2014_12_07_15_35_51.ods?dl=0

Rudi48

Post by Rudi48 »

Hello EZIO,

Thank you for providing your log file.
I can see, that you are using a different formula to convert heading from +/- 180 degree to 0...359 degree.

Hopefully I find today time to investigate that topic.

Regards, Rudolf

Leo

Post by Leo »

Today was a big MultiWii day for me. For the first time I gave a mission flight a try.

What especially surprised me was the high accuracy of the flight compared from the mission plan to the actual route shown on Google Earth!

The following video documents the successful flight (best viewed in full screen!):

Enjoy and happy New Year!

Leo

Leo

Post by Leo »

Well, I flew 2 more missions today, in the snow ;)

Went off like a charm. However I do have a question concerning POI. I placed the POI where I was standing thinking that my Quadcopter would always be looking at me but that didn't happen. Instead it was always looking at the heading to the WP. Am I misunderstanding something?

Mission planner was done with EZ-GUI and FW pre2.4.

Leo
Last edited by Leo on Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

Leo wrote:Well, I flew 2 more missions today, in the snow ;)

Went off like a charm. However I do have a question concerning POI. I placed the POI where I was standing thinking that my Quadcopter would always be looking at me but that didn't happen. Instead it was always looking at the heading to the WP. Am I misunderstanding something?

Leo

Hi Leo,
I've tested few times the POI and seems run well. You must add a POI before every waypoint.
Example:
POI 1
Waypoint1
POI2
Waypint2

Bye, Carlo

Leo

Post by Leo »

Thank you Carlo. I will have to look more closer to that....

Leo

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

carlonb wrote:
Leo wrote:Well, I flew 2 more missions today, in the snow ;)

Leo

Hi Leo,
I've tested few times the POI and seems run well. You must add a POI before every waypoint.
Example:
POI 1
Waypoint1
POI2
Waypint2
Bye, Carlo

HI Leo, I'm very sorry :oops: I was very excited with my last flight with MegapirateNG and make me confused !
You are right, the POI in MWii 2.4 (but is the same in Eosbandi navi b7) seems not working, only the first waypoint POI is running, but all the others not.
I've deeply investigate in the sketch, but I've not understood where may be the issue, I hope Alex and Eosbandi take a look here.
Bye
Carlo

Leo

Post by Leo »

Carlo, we all make mistakes now and then ;)

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

Leo wrote:Carlo, we all make mistakes now and then ;)

he..he..he.. Trying here and there it's so easy make confusion :lol:

But this is the funny side testing different platforms looking for the best, MultiWii is more simple and readable code, MPNG is more difficult to look at inside, but slowly we can learn it.
Bye
Carlo

Rudi48

Post by Rudi48 »

Hello Leo,

Thank you for the video.
It answers my question: What is the direction (camera view) when a mission is flown?

Now I see, that the camera looks always in direction to the next way point.

Regards, Rudolf

Leo

Post by Leo »

Gern geschehen :)

Leo

Post by Leo »

It's quite cold and windy today but that didn't deter me from trying the POI issues :D

I did two tests. The first was to just use 1 Waypoint with 1 POI (fly away, wait and then RTH):

After my frozen finger finally was able to flip the switch the QC turned towards the set POI and flew to it's WP, waited 10 sec and the returned home. It worked just like it was suppose to.

I then loaded a second flight plan with 4 WP's and 4 POI's:

Again after initiation the QC turned towards the POI and headed away to it's first WP. Through the whole flight the QC was always pointing towards the POI's. So now we know, it is in fact working... our MultiWii code 8-)

The tip from Carlo did the trick!

Sadly it's a bit of a pain to set up with EZ-GUI. You first need to set your WP's. Then you need to add POI to each WP. Lastly you set your RTH.

In the above example it looked like this:
POI 1
WP 1
POI 2
WP 2
POI 3
WP 3
POI4
WP 4
RTH

It worked! Fortunately the on-board video confirmed the whole flight :)
Unfortunately I'm having reliable data issues with my new CRIUS AIO Pro board and 3DR radio. Half the flight wasn't transmitted :(

I also got surprised by the QC waiting at the last WP in RTH mode wanting to reach the desired altitude before flying to launch site. Since it took so long I had to abort the mission and fly her home manually.
I'll have to check and see what happened...

Leo

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

Leo wrote:It's quite cold and windy today but that didn't deter me from trying the POI issues :D

I did two tests. The first was to just use 1 Waypoint with 1 POI (fly away, wait and then RTH):

After my frozen finger finally was able to flip the switch the QC turned towards the set POI and flew to it's WP, waited 10 sec and the returned home. It worked just like it was suppose to.

I then loaded a second flight plan with 4 WP's and 4 POI's:

Again after initiation the QC turned towards the POI and headed away to it's first WP. Through the whole flight the QC was always pointing towards the POI's. So now we know, it is in fact working... our MultiWii code 8-)

The tip from Carlo did the trick!

Sadly it's a bit of a pain to set up with EZ-GUI. You first need to set your WP's. Then you need to add POI to each WP. Lastly you set your RTH.

In the above example it looked like this:
POI 1
WP 1
POI 2
WP 2
POI 3
WP 3
POI4
WP 4
RTH

It worked! Fortunately the on-board video confirmed the whole flight :)
Unfortunately I'm having reliable data issues with my new CRIUS AIO Pro board and 3DR radio. Half the flight wasn't transmitted :(
Leo

Hi Leo,
Happy that POI is working, I never tried this approach with multiwii, I done this only with MPNG.
I've done a deep look at the code, but I've not seen the needs of POI GPS position refresh. I will take a look once and better, sure this is the trick :D
Carlo

Leo

Post by Leo »

Carlo,

what I still have to try is to use one POI only but this time set it right at the beginning:

POI 1
WP 1
WP 2
WP 3
WP 4
RTH

Maybe this might work as well?

Leo

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

Sorry, duplicated.

@Leo,
For me, only one POI at the beginning of waypoints not worked, or better to say, worked, but I found that the copter was to slow to keep the Poi direction and so do not keep the nose very well. today I can't try again due a strong wind. I will try again in few days.
Carlo

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

Fly tested the POI function,
Only one POI at the beginning of all waypoints is needed, anyway I found that the copter was very slow to react in order to direct the nose to POI, it seems that update the POI direction very near to the next waypoint.
All POI before next waypoints are ignored.
Carlo

RC Madman

Post by RC Madman »

I am looking forward to trying this all out once I get my 3.5 Mega and M8n GPS.

Leo

Post by Leo »

carlonb wrote:Fly tested the POI function,
Only one POI at the beginning of all waypoints is needed, anyway I found that the copter was very slow to react in order to direct the nose to POI, it seems that update the POI direction very near to the next waypoint.
Carlo

Carlo,

I did more tests a couple of days ago. Main goal was to find out if more than 1 POI would work.

Here the test route:

The results with my flights was that each POI before a WP is used.

In my example the QC flew to the first WP2 (left) and slowly pointing to POI1. After hovering 10 sec. the QC turned and pointed to WP4 (right). The QC then started to point at POI3 and hovered for 10 sec. before RTH.

The _.._.._ line shows the line of sight from the QC.

Leo

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

Leo wrote:
carlonb wrote:Fly tested the POI function,
Carlo

Carlo,
I did more tests a couple of days ago. Main goal was to find out if more than 1 POI would work.
Here the test route:
The results with my flights was that each POI before a WP is used.

In my example the QC flew to the first WP2 (left) and slowly pointing to POI1. After hovering 10 sec. the QC turned and pointed to WP4 (right). The QC then started to point at POI3 and hovered for 10 sec. before RTH.
The _.._.._ line shows the line of sight from the QC.
Leo

Ok Leo,
I realized, but not tried, that if we have only one POI, this will be used for all next waypoints,
if we need to change the POI during many waypoints, we must add POIs before the waypoint.

Still what I found that the copter is very slow to react in order to direct the nose to POI, it seems that update the POI direction very near to the next waypoint.

Bye
Carlo

Leo

Post by Leo »

carlonb wrote:Ok Leo,
I realized, but not tried, that if we have only one POI, this will be used for all next waypoints,
Carlo

Correct.

carlonb wrote:if we need to change the POI during many waypoints, we must add POIs before the waypoint.
Carlo

Correct.

carlonb wrote:Still what I found that the copter is very slow to react in order to direct the nose to POI, it seems that update the POI direction very near to the next waypoint.

Correct.

Look at my _.._.._ line in the above example. That is when the copter starts to turn to POI.

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

Leo wrote:...
Look at my _.._.._ line in the above example. That is when the copter starts to turn to POI.

Yes, I saw the _.._.._ line,
I made a four waypoint rectangle shaped with only one waypoint in the center of it, the copter is not able to keep the nose direct to the POI but it's alway in very delay. Regain the correct nose direction when is very near the next waypoint.
Carlo

kavehslt

Post by kavehslt »

hi every one

that is very good

Leo

Post by Leo »

I've uploaded the mission on Youtube as reference and for comparisons:

Leo

Leo

Post by Leo »

Well, today I got my spare parts via express mail from Hongkong.
After work I immediately started with the repairs. I only had 1 1/2 hours until the sun would hide behind the horizon. After an hour I was done with the repairs and then headed out to the field to give my Quad a try.

I did 2 mission tests. A circle of 100 meters dia. and 8 WP's. POI was in the middle. All worked out fine. The QC was always pointing to the center.
The other test was the same one I did in my above post. Except I moved the POI way further away from the WP's. I figured the QC should now be pointing to the POI's a lot sooner.

It was fast getting dark and the wind started to pick up quickly.

Here the result 8-)

I was glad my QC was up and running again. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

Leo wrote:Well, today I got my spare parts via express mail from Hongkong.
After work I immediately started with the repairs. I only had 1 1/2 hours until the sun would hide behind the horizon. After an hour I was done with the repairs and then headed out to the field to give my Quad a try.

I did 2 mission tests. A circle of 100 meters dia. and 8 WP's. POI was in the middle. All worked out fine. The QC was always pointing to the center.
The other test was the same one I did in my above post. Except I moved the POI way further away from the WP's. I figured the QC should now be pointing to the POI's a lot sooner.

It was fast getting dark and the wind started to pick up quickly.

Here the result 8-)

I was glad my QC was up and running again. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

Hi Leo,
I'm glad that you are flying again, you worked very fast :lol:

About the POI, I realized (with your last tests) that the pointing will be more accurate if the POI is not so near to the tracks of the copter. My previous test was done with a rectangle of 10 by 15mt about with the POI in the middle of that rectangle, this may be the reason for the very slow pointing accuracy.
I will do the POI test with a larger run.
Bye
Carlo

rubadub

Post by rubadub »

Is anyone else here using the GPS NAV version for simple RTH via switches on signal loss (*not* through the MW failsafe feature)? If so, have you ever run into a problem where RTH/autopilot gets stuck & can't be easily disabled?

This happened to me twice today. I was practicing acro maneuvers with a quad, and it appears that my UHF RC link briefly lost signal & engaged my RTH switch. I quickly regained signal, but the KV-OSD kept showing 'autopilot+RTH arrow' as the flightmode. I could still fly & maneuver the quad, but it appeared to fight me a bit and wouldn't let me descend. I had to toggle the RTH switch on my radio multiple times in order to disable it, but it was clearly stuck for a good while.

Has anyone experienced something like this? If so, any ideas on what might be causing it? I checked the code, and it appears to check for changes in the GPS flight modes during each RC processing cycle, so I don't see why it would ignore my radio switch & remain in autopilot, doesn't make sense to me :?

Leo

Post by Leo »

I wanted to see how accurate GPS was and made a mission path around a field:

Not too shabby I would say....

I'm going to see if I can reduce the overshooting at each of the WP's.

Leo

rubadub

Post by rubadub »

umm, so, are people basically just talking to themselves on this thread at this point? No more feedback & support anymore? I haven't seen any feedback from the main developer(s), which makes me think that they've abandoned this MW fork.

For whatever it's worth, for those that are interested in running this GPS/NAV version for the sole purpose of RTH, be warned that there's a glitch in the mode checking code that can cause the RTH/HOLD modes to get stuck & cannot be easily released by simply switching off the nav modes (either manually via switches or by failsafe being disengaged on RC signal re-acquisition).

Rudi48

Post by Rudi48 »

Hello Leo,

Thank you very much for the interesting video. :)
It needed several repetitions viewing the video to understand what is what.
It would be nice to have an extra picture of the mission plan, with an overlay of
the waypoint numbers, and the flight map.

So, what I understand up to now is:
1. Your Home point is in north-west position and looks to south-west.
2. After start the Quadrocopter turns around and flies to the Waypoint #1, the clock symbol.
3. At Waypoint #1 the Quadrocopter waits for 10 seconds.
4. Then the Quadrocopter flies, looking at waypoint #2, to waypoint #2,
5. The Quadrocopter turns 90 degree left and flies, looking at waypoint #3, to waypoint #3.
6. The Quadrocopter turns 90 degree left and flies, looking at waypoint #4, to waypoint #4.
7. The Quadrocopter turns 90 degree left and flies, looking at waypoint #5, to waypoint #5.
8. The Quadrocopter turns 30 degree left and flies, looking at waypoint #6, to waypoint #6.
9. The Quadrocopter turns 30 degree left and flies, looking at waypoint #7, to waypoint #7.
10. At waypoint 7 it waits 10 seconds.
11. While waiting the Quadrocopter drifts to east.
12. With a ReturnToHome command the Quadrocpter flies to the Home position.
13. At the Home position you give a Hold command, and the Quadrocopter turns 180 degree, looking in south-west direction.

What is now interesting for me:
1. Is my interpretation correct?
2. How large, in meter, was the overshoot at waypoint #2?
3. How large was the drift in the 10 seconds wait at waypoint #7?
4. What was the scale of the mission, e.g. distance from waypoint #3 to #4?

Regards, Rudolf

Leo

Post by Leo »

Rudi48 wrote:So, what I understand up to now is:
1. Your Home point is in north-west position and looks to south-west.
Actually I'm standing North of the mission and the QC is pointing to the East.
2. After start the Quadrocopter turns around and flies to the Waypoint #1, the clock symbol.
Correct.
3. At Waypoint #1 the Quadrocopter waits for 10 seconds.
Correct.
4. Then the Quadrocopter flies, looking at waypoint #2, to waypoint #2,
5. The Quadrocopter turns 90 degree left and flies, looking at waypoint #3, to waypoint #3.
6. The Quadrocopter turns 90 degree left and flies, looking at waypoint #4, to waypoint #4.
7. The Quadrocopter turns 90 degree left and flies, looking at waypoint #5, to waypoint #5.
8. The Quadrocopter turns 30 degree left and flies, looking at waypoint #6, to waypoint #6.
9. The Quadrocopter turns 30 degree left and flies, looking at waypoint #7, to waypoint #7.
Correct for the most part.
10. At waypoint 7 it waits 10 seconds.
Correct.
11. While waiting the Quadrocopter drifts to east.
North/East.
12. With a ReturnToHome command the Quadrocpter flies to the Home position.
RTH is controlled within the mission.
13. At the Home position you give a Hold command, and the Quadrocopter turns 180 degree, looking in south-west direction.
I don't give hold command, that's done automatically within the mission.

What is now interesting for me:
1. Is my interpretation correct?
I would say yes.
2. How large, in meter, was the overshoot at waypoint #2?
Approximately 5 meters.
3. How large was the drift in the 10 seconds wait at waypoint #7?
Approximately 5 meters.
4. What was the scale of the mission, e.g. distance from waypoint #3 to #4?
70 meters.
Regards, Rudolf

I wish EZ-GUI had the WP numbers in the symbol.

Leo

Rudi48

Post by Rudi48 »

Hello Leo,

Thank you very much for the detailed answer.
Unfortunately I am mixing up sometimes East and West (maybe the age) :(

Nevertheless it would be helpful for me if you could post the EZ-GUI screen and the flight map in full resolution for reference.
Even on a full HD screen it is not so easy to evaluate.

Regards, Rudolf

Leo

Post by Leo »

Here you go...

I added the WP numbers.

Rudi48

Post by Rudi48 »

Hello Leo,

Thank you for posting the pictures. :)
Now I can see, that the drift at waypoint #7 is in direction north-east.
Your video is excellent, but you have to see it on YouTube with full HD resolution to see all details.

The waypoint numbering makes it easier to follow the fly path.

It looks to me, that at each 90 degree turn, there is an position overshoot of about 5 m.

Regards, Rudolf

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Leo wrote:I wanted to see how accurate GPS was and made a mission path around a field:

Not too shabby I would say....

I'm going to see if I can reduce the overshooting at each of the WP's.

Leo

Increase the WP radius. It will consider the WP reached earlier so will reduce overshoot.
Increase crosstrack gain. It will decrease the time that needed to correct overshoot.
For more increased precisity, enable Slow navigation. This slows down near WP...

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

For POI related issues :
Make sure MAG mode is enabled.
To speed up turn speed, increase MAG P value.

Leo

Post by Leo »

Thank you EOSBandi.

You have done fantastic work!!!

I'm enjoying this very very much :)

Rudi48

Post by Rudi48 »

Hello EOSBandi,

Thank you very much for the hints to the overshoot issue. :)
You have designed a very good software for the community.

Regards, Rudolf

ezio

GPS NAV

Post by ezio »

Leo wrote:Here you go...

I added the WP numbers.

WP numbers will be added with next update

brewski

Post by brewski »

Well done Ezio. This makes programming & viewing logs of missions so much easier

IslandBill

Simulated Mission....

Post by IslandBill »

I was trying to follow the steps in your video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVw2dcRbgzo but I am running into a snag. I don't know how to enter simulated mode. I've downloaded the NaviSim but this seems to be an entirely seperate interface. Can you drop me a hint, anyone?

Thanks!

GUSHELFER

Post by GUSHELFER »

si Fence radius es < Safe wP distance tendria que abortar mision ???????