Naze32 hardware discussion thread

TimPainter

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by TimPainter »

Hi
tried to loadfirmware using the direct method using pad shorting and flash loader demonstrator, this goes well untill i try to load the hex file then messages me with unable to load data from this file??
i an using firefox to download hex should be ok?
Getting close to ordering a naza!!
Tim

osprey engineer

minthrottle maxthrottle mincommand explanation

Post by osprey engineer »

I am struggling a little with the set up
Motors not spinning up at the same time (1% throttle for the first motor and 50% throttle for the last)
adjusted Tx endpoints and min max throttle settings through CLI in baseflight and can with motor_stop off I can get all 4 to spin, but a yaw input to disarm causes the Naze to react (trys to yaw).

So I had varying results with several settings. I even got it flying, but I don't like my setup yet with respect to arm/disarm and throttle position.

I found an explanation of the CLI commands minthrottle, maxthrottle, and mincommand here https://github.com/multiwii/baseflig.../CLI-Variables but I am not sure how this relates to what my Tx is sending.

Can someone knowledgeable look the picture below and chime in if the relationship of these parameters sounds right.

Thanks
Attachments
Setting explanation.JPG

KC_703

Post by KC_703 »

TimPainter wrote:Hi
tried to loadfirmware using the direct method using pad shorting and flash loader demonstrator, this goes well untill i try to load the hex file then messages me with unable to load data from this file??
i an using firefox to download hex should be ok?
Getting close to ordering a naza!!
Tim

You're using the Firmware Flash Tool in Baseflight Configurator? No need to short the boot pads each time. If you do short the pads to get into bootloader, make sure to check the "No Reboot Sequence" box. I make it a habit of doing the "Chip Erase" everytime I flash new firmware.

KC_703

Re: minthrottle maxthrottle mincommand explanation

Post by KC_703 »

osprey engineer wrote:I am struggling a little with the set up
Motors not spinning up at the same time (1% throttle for the first motor and 50% throttle for the last)
adjusted Tx endpoints and min max throttle settings through CLI in baseflight and can with motor_stop off I can get all 4 to spin, but a yaw input to disarm causes the Naze to react (trys to yaw).

So I had varying results with several settings. I even got it flying, but I don't like my setup yet with respect to arm/disarm and throttle position.

I found an explanation of the CLI commands minthrottle, maxthrottle, and mincommand here https://github.com/multiwii/baseflig.../CLI-Variables but I am not sure how this relates to what my Tx is sending.

Can someone knowledgeable look the picture below and chime in if the relationship of these parameters sounds right.

Thanks

Not to hog the help thread...

From my understanding, the diagram seems to be an accurate representation of the TX endpoints, min/maxthrottle and mincommand:
TX endpoint & subtrim- Set on the TX... different manufacturers use different terminology and different parts of the TX menu. Subtrim is also set through the TX menus.
mincommand - the µs value sent on battery connection. Unless in ESC calibration, you want this to be 1000.
min/maxthrottle - minthrottle is value at min throttle input, ie value at the TX min endpoint. This value should be set to a µs where all motors spin as determined in the motors tab using the master slider. Ideally, this would be identical to the pre-calibrated SK firmware which is 1060-1864 as documented here, but often not the case.

I'm fuzzy on whether the actual throttle µs are passed directly to the ESCs or if the FC transposes the values. For instance, if the TX endpoints are 1050 and minthrottle is 1150. When increasing the Tx to 1051 is that sent to the ESC or does the FC send 1151 according to the minthrottle. Likewise when TX hits max endpoint of 1950 is this send to ESC or is the maxthrottle (1850µs) value sent. It seems to me the FC is transposing/scaling the µs to the ESC.

hwurzburg

Post by hwurzburg »

FC scales throttle between MINTHROTTLE and MAXTHROTTLE(if armed and actual throttle is above MINTHROTTLE)...scales again for MIDTHROTTLE and EXPO...then sends throttle and PID error terms to mixers and on to motors...

and the diagram is a little off....active stablization (acc and/or gyro) only becomes active above MINCHECK...yet another parameter

MINCHECK and MAXCHECK are also used to recognize stick commands in the UNARMED state...

kilby

Post by kilby »

Osprey. .. are you testing your motors from the configurator software or from the transmitter.

If it's from the transmitter then try it from the configurator.

Are you using SimonK flashed esc's or something else (biheli or something else)

osprey engineer

I have SimonK flashed ESCs and I calibrated using CLI mincommand. Using the motor test tab they start spin up at 1116. I tried calibrating with different mincommand values but no matter what, 1116 is the magic number. So a little more experimenting and I proved my diagram wrong like hwurzburg said.

But here is a question for you hwurzburg. If Tx subtrims/endpoints are used to make the throttle range say 1000 - 2000 and the MINTROTTLE MAXTHROTTLE is set to say 1100 - 1900, does this mean there is a 100 deadband on the top and bottom side, or does the FC scale the 1000 -2000 input to match 1100 -1190?

So I got it working as I wanted it to(same as my DJI flamewheel with CRIUS SE). Motors spin when armed and increase with throttle. Motors stop with left yaw. I final made the connection that my motors don't spin unless they get 1116 based on the motor test tab. I also found out that if MINCOMMAND was more than MINTHROTTLE my motors would spin when I disarmed. They would stop spinning when I armed because MINTHROTTLE was set below 1116.
I did not play with MIN/MAXCHECK.
My Tx range is 1050 to 1950 and the following settings worked.
midrc = 1500
minthrottle = 1124
maxthrottle = 1950
mincommand = 1100
mincheck = 1100
maxcheck = 1900

KC_703

Post by KC_703 »

Glad you're up and running...

Maybe I'm beating a dead horse... MIN/MAXCHECK, MINTHROTTLE aren't related. MINCOMMAND are vaguely associated to THROTTLE, but only because its the unarmed value sent to ESCs. Its all described in the wiki... worth a review.

Only MIN/MAXTHROTTLE affect the spinning motors.

According to what you've written/observed, I would have used the following settings:
midrc = 1500 (default)
minthrottle = 1116 (from motor tab)
maxthrottle = 1950 (default)
mincommand = 1000 (default)
mincheck = 1100 (default)
maxcheck = 1900 (default)

hwurzburg

Post by hwurzburg »

osprey engineer wrote:But here is a question for you hwurzburg. If Tx subtrims/endpoints are used to make the throttle range say 1000 - 2000 and the MINTROTTLE MAXTHROTTLE is set to say 1100 - 1900, does this mean there is a 100 deadband on the top and bottom side, or does the FC scale the 1000 -2000 input to match 1100 -1190?

okay...scaling is actually a little more complex than what I said to simplify....and,yes,there is an effective deadband versus actually TX values, below MINCHECK and above MAXTHROTTLE if your TX exceeds those values ( and it should on the low end, at least)

if MOTOR_STOP was false,

unarmed: MINCOMMAND is sent
armed: below MINCHECK, MINTHROTTLE is sent onward in the FC code...
above MINCHECK and below MAXTHROTTLE, it is scaled between MINTHROTTLE and MAXTHROTTLE, and then expo/mid point shifted if EXPO is nonzero and sent onward, and for
TX inputs above MAXTHROTTLE, result in MAXTHROTTLE be sent onward...

on my overpowered racers, that hover at 25% throttle (until I shift it with a throttle curve to midstick...either in Multiwii or my TX)...using motors that spin up at say 1100 for MINTHROTTLE when armed (I prefer to see the motors goind when armed...hence no MOTOR_STOP)...I would have a significant deadband before I get response to stick movements...since I have to move past MINCHECK (also 1100) and hover is only at 1250...so a lot of movement on the stick to go from 1000 to past 1100 before I start increasing motor speed...

in those cases, I use my TX curve to set low stick AT 1090 or so instead of 1000, so as eliminate the "deadband" in low end stick movement...gives me more control on descents, etc...

this is only apparent with "overpowered" quads...

TimPainter

Post by TimPainter »

Hi flew naze 32funfly today with latest firmware,
my yaw issue seems to be when the air inflow is reversed (rapid decent with hard check or a hard reversal of direction)
this seems to cause blade stall and is noisy and presumably vibrates.worst case in angle only mode 90 degs yaw
full power climb is perfect
so will try moon gell suspension for controller (thin foam at present)
headfree mode still a confusing mystery configerator shows accurate linear headings but free sky telemetry hdg=0?? , alt works okI
I dont know if this is relevant
horizon mode is cool first roll today!
Tim

TimPainter

Post by TimPainter »

Just an idea
if a rotor is aerodynamically stalling due to air inflow from below ,then the torque will be considerably different?? much higher
this may throw the yaw way of balance
I an using 9 x 5 inch props 1000kv motors 4s battery, finer pitch may be the answer
Tim

osprey engineer

Great description hwurzburg. I understand now. Thanks.

Did some hover tests indoors. Fantastic. Can't wait till the wind dies down to get this outside.

dklein

Post by dklein »

Wondering if anyone is experiencing any issues with serial port stuff on the Oct 23 hex. I have a couple of customers who have had problems the last two days with both Spektrum satellite and PPM. We observed little spikes on different channels while monitoring the receiver tab when the motors were spun up. No brownout indicated on the rx. The throttle would also pulse and twice there was a lockout with throttle on - once it settled down, the other the battery had to be pulled. The twitching happens a few seconds after the motors are brought up to speed. Doesn't happen at low throttle. Swapped satellites and receivers, wiggled and changed cables. When it appeared in the second new build, we started thinking firmware. Don't have the chance to flight test tonight but bench test looks like it might be ok with Sep 31/Oct 1 hex.

helijoc

Post by helijoc »

I am fairly new with the Naze32, I have years with KK but am converted now.
I am setting up a tri that has been flying several years with the KK, it flew great with KK but I think the naze can be better. I had been trying to set it up with baseflight and had random motor and servo "ticking" mostly around 1/4 throttle. i spent weeks trying to solve it, (this never happened with KK all other hardware the same).
Anyway I just loaded the latest baseflight and copied my settings over. The "ticking" seems to be gone, I have no idea what changed. Now there is another problem, I am using aux arming and it arms fine but I can flip the arming switch to disarm when at any throttle setting up to full and the board disarms. Flipping the switch back to arm will not arm it until I lower the throttle to low. I can anticipate this being a potential problem. Any ideas?

timecop

Post by timecop »

there's some arm/disarm related stuff in cli.
set disarm_kill_switch

lookitsneil

Post by lookitsneil »

I'm having an issue that I keep seeing pop up on the board, but doesn't seem to be any clear answer to...

Ive been flying a Naze 32(Fun Fly version Rev.5) board in my 250 style quad for about 4-6 weeks now and everything has been great. I just recently put an fpv set up on it, so naturally I wanted to get a OSD for it as well. Im using the MinimOSD chip wired thought a fat shark 5.8 setup. I have the tx and rx ports from the center of the Naze soldered to 2 1 pin connectors and I use that to connect it to the MinimOSD. I was having some issues with dirty power coming off the naze so today I decided to move the power for the MinimOSD off the naze board and patch it through the 5v stepdown that the fat shark came with. This worked fine but for some reason my ESCs where no longer firing at the same time, two motors started before the other two.

So heres where my problem starts...

when I went to connect the Naze to my computer to reset my ESCs with baseflight it wouldn't connect. I get the same error as Ive seen many times posted in this tread.

02:13:14 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 4
02:13:21 -- Unrecoverable failure of serial connection, disconnecting...
02:13:21 -- Serial port successfully closed

I've restarted my computer, re-installed baseflight, re-installed drivers, changed USB ports, tried re-flashing the firmware both thought the software and my shorting the boot-loader pads (doesn't allow me to, says No response from the bootloader, programming: FAILED). I have no idea why it wont let me connect to it. It doesn't look like anything is fried, and all the LEDs are lighting us as they normally do.

The only thing I can think that happened is I plugged it into baseflight with the Minimosd plugged in and powered maybe messing with the baud-rate? Since, I have removed the MinimOSD but it still will not let me do anything.

Please Help, I have no idea whats going on with this thing haha, Its just so weird that it was fine one second and now it wont connect at all...

pjman

Post by pjman »

Need help please - my quad is too fast :(

I just finished a build and it seems the quad is too light for the thrust available. As a result I barely get 1/4 throttle and the quad is hovering - half throttle and the quad is outta there. The issue I have is that it is VERY hard to get down now :( Pretty much if I lower the throttle any more the thing falls out of the sky. I tried disabling Motor_Stop but it didn't help much.

Initially I thought I would just use expo to make the stick movement easier but thats not going to help with things like the baro which uses mid throttle. Also it won't change the crossover from motor stop to flying.

Any options or should I just add weight to it ?

Thanks

Brenden

Edit - If I try and push full throttle the sound of the props changes a lot - sounds awefull. I believe the props are straightening or something - better props on the way.

helijoc

Post by helijoc »

I have the Naze on a tri with flexible landing gear. When the board is armed the yaw servo will start bouncing causing the frame to move inducing more bounce. The yaw PID settings are not excessive and the tri flies great. Is there a setting that will "turn off" the yaw gyro at low throttle?

KC_703

Post by KC_703 »

pjman wrote:Any options or should I just add weight to it ?

Thanks

Brenden

Edit - If I try and push full throttle the sound of the props changes a lot - sounds awefull. I believe the props are straightening or something - better props on the way.

Did you try lowering Throttle MID and adding Throttle Expo? Maybe lowering maxthrottle (could require recalibrationof ESCs)... Unfortunately, I've never been lucky enough to have your problem.

What type of props are you using, maybe something a bit more conservative until you get the hang of flying the new quad.

hwurzburg

Post by hwurzburg »

pjman wrote:Need help please - my quad is too fast :(

I just finished a build and it seems the quad is too light for the thrust available. As a result I barely get 1/4 throttle and the quad is hovering - half throttle and the quad is outta there. The issue I have is that it is VERY hard to get down now :( Pretty much if I lower the throttle any more the thing falls out of the sky. I tried disabling Motor_Stop but it didn't help much.

Initially I thought I would just use expo to make the stick movement easier but thats not going to help with things like the baro which uses mid throttle. Also it won't change the crossover from motor stop to flying.

Thanks

Brenden

My 4s racing MiniQuad with 5x4 props hovers at 25%.....I use a throttle curve in my TX to move hover to mid stick....and also to set the idle throttle to close to MINCHECK to avoid the deadband Multiwii creates below that value (puts out MINTHROTTLE once armed until MINCHECK is obtained on RCinput unless MOTOR STOP is used,which I dont)..using the Multwii MIDTHROTTLE (Set it to .25) and EXPO (try .3 as a start...expo must be nonzero for MIDTHROTTLE to work) is another option, but it doesnt let me tweak the low stick point like a TX curve does..and the motors WILL scream on an overpowered setup :D Ilove it!

pjman

Post by pjman »

hwurzburg wrote:
pjman wrote:Need help please - my quad is too fast :(

Thanks

Brenden

My 4s racing MiniQuad with 5x4 props hovers at 25%.....I use a throttle curve in my TX to move hover to mid stick....and also to set the idle throttle to close to MINCHECK to avoid the deadband Multiwii creates below that value (puts out MINTHROTTLE once armed until MINCHECK is obtained on RCinput unless MOTOR STOP is used,which I dont)..using the Multwii MIDTHROTTLE (Set it to .25) and EXPO (try .3 as a start...expo must be nonzero for MIDTHROTTLE to work) is another option, but it doesnt let me tweak the low stick point like a TX curve does..and the motors WILL scream on an overpowered setup :D Ilove it!

Ok - so throttle curve on TC will work ok to start with. Could you expand on the Mincheck etc?

I am using AfroESC's so I will adjust the minthrottle / maxthrottle to 1064/1864 as per https://github.com/multiwii/baseflight/wiki/CLI-Variables. It doesn't clearly explain the Mincheck for me. It seems that if I want to arm the quad it checks that the current input is lower than Mincheck (1000)??? I couldn't find anything on idle throttle.

Zenman

Post by Zenman »

Put mincheck at something like 1020 and make sure mincommand is at 1000 that way you have the space between 1000 and 1020 for arming without too much deadband.

Zenman

Post by Zenman »

Here is some more on those settings: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=7163

madisonlee

Post by madisonlee »

Dear all,

I'm new to NAZE32, switched from CC3D. However I bumped into a few issue with the setup, hope someone knowledgeable can help with my issues.

1. Magnetometer acting strange.

2. Throttle fluctuate crazy with TX input. (Frsky Taranis X9D + X8R Receiver)

Throttle fluctuate a lot when using the following setup, no fluctuation with Baseflight/Cleanflight builtin MOTOR TEST tab. I changed the mounting in case vibration caused the fluctuation but didn't help.
Changed the power distribution board, didn't help. The same rig with CC3D, I have no problem at all.
Any advise or solution would be very grateful.

QAV280 Frame
6" props
NAZE32 Full Board Rev.5
Baseflight firmware released on: Oct 23 2014
Rotorgeeks 12A BLHeli ESC V3
4S Turnigy Nano-Tech 1300mah
ACC calibrated
MAG calibrated
PPM enabled
Frsky Taranis X9D
Throttle range trimmed 1000-2000 and 1500 mid stick.
Frsky X8R
Frsky S.bus to CPPM Converter

helijoc

Post by helijoc »

helijoc wrote:I have the Naze on a tri with flexible landing gear. When the board is armed the yaw servo will start bouncing causing the frame to move inducing more bounce. The yaw PID settings are not excessive and the tri flies great. Is there a setting that will "turn off" the yaw gyro at low throttle?

BUMP - does anyone know how to turn off the yaw gyro when armed and 0 throttle?

KC_703

Post by KC_703 »

madisonlee wrote:Throttle fluctuate a lot when using the following setup, no fluctuation with Baseflight/Cleanflight builtin MOTOR TEST tab. I changed the mounting in case vibration caused the fluctuation but didn't help.
Changed the power distribution board, didn't help. The same rig with CC3D, I have no problem at all.

Frsky X8R

Try connectingthe X8R THR normally (ch3). If the fluctuations stop, it would point too the SBUS to CPPM converter. I've used a similar setup, but didn't notice and throttle fluctuations...

hwurzburg

Post by hwurzburg »

helijoc wrote:
helijoc wrote:I have the Naze on a tri with flexible landing gear. When the board is armed the yaw servo will start bouncing causing the frame to move inducing more bounce. The yaw PID settings are not excessive and the tri flies great. Is there a setting that will "turn off" the yaw gyro at low throttle?

BUMP - does anyone know how to turn off the yaw gyro when armed and 0 throttle?

sorry, I dont know...I thought that stab was off below MINCHECK....but the tri yaw servo may be an exception

lookitsneil

Post by lookitsneil »

lookitsneil wrote:I'm having an issue that I keep seeing pop up on the board, but doesn't seem to be any clear answer to...

Ive been flying a Naze 32(Fun Fly version Rev.5) board in my 250 style quad for about 4-6 weeks now and everything has been great. I just recently put an fpv set up on it, so naturally I wanted to get a OSD for it as well. Im using the MinimOSD chip wired thought a fat shark 5.8 setup. I have the tx and rx ports from the center of the Naze soldered to 2 1 pin connectors and I use that to connect it to the MinimOSD. I was having some issues with dirty power coming off the naze so today I decided to move the power for the MinimOSD off the naze board and patch it through the 5v stepdown that the fat shark came with. This worked fine but for some reason my ESCs where no longer firing at the same time, two motors started before the other two.

So heres where my problem starts...

when I went to connect the Naze to my computer to reset my ESCs with baseflight it wouldn't connect. I get the same error as Ive seen many times posted in this tread.

02:13:14 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 4
02:13:21 -- Unrecoverable failure of serial connection, disconnecting...
02:13:21 -- Serial port successfully closed

I've restarted my computer, re-installed baseflight, re-installed drivers, changed USB ports, tried re-flashing the firmware both thought the software and my shorting the boot-loader pads (doesn't allow me to, says No response from the bootloader, programming: FAILED). I have no idea why it wont let me connect to it. It doesn't look like anything is fried, and all the LEDs are lighting us as they normally do.

The only thing I can think that happened is I plugged it into baseflight with the Minimosd plugged in and powered maybe messing with the baud-rate? Since, I have removed the MinimOSD but it still will not let me do anything.

Please Help, I have no idea whats going on with this thing haha, Its just so weird that it was fine one second and now it wont connect at all...

So Im still having this issue. I acutally sent back the chip that I had to get a replacement, and I also bought another one to play around with in the mean time.

I set it up fine last night everything seemed to be working fine, but this afternoon when I went to package the whole quad together and test out some new antennas I had made I noticed that the quad went into esc programming mode. NOTE: This is the first time I had connected the MINIMOSD chip to my naze. I then went to remove the MinimOSD and it still did the same. When I went to connect it to base flight I had the same issue as I did with the last chip.

I have a feeling that it has to do with my MiminOSD chip. Idk why its not working...The only thing that I had changed is where the power for the OSD is coming from. I was getting Noise off the ESCs so I moved the 5v power supply from the motor rail to making a line off the fat shark power board.

All I wanna do is fly, and I feel so dumb that this keeps happening and IDK what it is....Any Help Please!
]
Attachments
The Way I have it Wired...
The Way I have it Wired...

hwurzburg

Post by hwurzburg »

If that is really how you have things hooked up, you have problems....
1. the Video side of the MINIMOSD needs either 12V, or you solder some tiny solder pads bridging input side to output side (5V and gnd) on the board and do not connect ANY power to the video side of the board.
2. the data side of the board needs 5V and ground to power it correctly...you show nothing there

I imagine that this setup is reverse powering the UART input on the NAZE and blowing it, even thou its supposed to be 5v tolerant....
I suggest some more study on MINIMOSD connections in the wikis...

Snowboard_Nut

Question about Custom Mixer settings

Post by Snowboard_Nut »

Is it possible to view, examine and alter a predefined mixer in Baseflight? Or is the only option to choose a predefined mixer OR choose Custom Mixer? Here's what I intend to do on a QuadX model; I currently have a brushed ESC running LED's that is hooked to an Aux Output pin using gimbal_flags=4 but I'm going to be moving my FrSky Telem over to soft serial and I will loose my Aux Output passthroughs that drive the brushed ESC. I would like to hook the brushed ESC to a 5th Motor Output and have that 5th output mimic any one of the 4 main Motor Outputs that drive the regular motor ESC's for the quad. Preferably I'd like an average throttle of all 4 main ESC's to be output to the 5th output, but I'd also be happy just to mimic/duplicate any one of the 4 main ESC's so my LED's will brighten/dim with throttle. I know I could make a Y harness on 1 of the 4 motor outputs currently there, but I'd rather do it in software if possible since a Y harness would add wire clutter to a clean layout... Any advice guys :?:

lookitsneil

Post by lookitsneil »

hwurzburg wrote:If that is really how you have things hooked up, you have problems....
1. the Video side of the MINIMOSD needs either 12V, or you solder some tiny solder pads bridging input side to output side (5V and gnd) on the board and do not connect ANY power to the video side of the board.
2. the data side of the board needs 5V and ground to power it correctly...you show nothing there

I imagine that this setup is reverse powering the UART input on the NAZE and blowing it, even thou its supposed to be 5v tolerant....
I suggest some more study on MINIMOSD connections in the wikis...

Im really bad at making diagrams haha...The TX RX and 5V power and ground are on one side, the other side is Vin and Vout....Im an Idiot. haha.

Im starting to wonder if the MinimOSD board I got is a bad one. I got it off ebay and they sent me a chip by the company "newer" instead of the KV Team one that was displayed on their auction. Im wondering if Im sorting the STM chip out though the RX and TX port on the controller.

Although I did have the MinimOSD chip working when I was tapping the power of the Motor rails. UGH so many things. I'm waiting to get my first chip replaced and I'm gonna run some tests.

Pierre_A

Post by Pierre_A »

lookitsneil wrote:Im really bad at making diagrams haha...The TX RX and 5V power and ground are on one side, the other side is Vin and Vout....Im an Idiot. haha.

Im starting to wonder if the MinimOSD board I got is a bad one. I got it off ebay and they sent me a chip by the company "newer" instead of the KV Team one that was displayed on their auction. Im wondering if Im sorting the STM chip out though the RX and TX port on the controller.

Although I did have the MinimOSD chip working when I was tapping the power of the Motor rails. UGH so many things. I'm waiting to get my first chip replaced and I'm gonna run some tests.

Remember you can't use simultaneously the MinimOSD (connected on Tx-Rx pins) and Baseflight GUI (via USB) as this is the same UART port on the Naze.

lookitsneil

Post by lookitsneil »

The first time I did this I didn't know that but even after removing the MinimOSD from my Naze I couldn't get into baseflight. Since then I sent that chip back thinking it was defective and bought a new one. This time after I had it set up, I attached my MinimOSD. When I powered the quad on, the quad went into program mode for the ESC (At least thats what it seemed to be). I then removed the minimOSD and put the quad into base flight. The Quad did not connect after that point either.

Im also noticing that the STM chip is getting hot on this Naze when its plugged in either USB or with power.

Two things that Im thinking of now is maybe my OSD chip is bad and sent some voltage back into the Naze to fry the chip. Im not running the OSD off the Nazes power supply, I am tapping 5v off my fatshark setup. I couldent use the Naze for the power source because when I would give the quad throttle it would make the OSD shutter, making me think that the power coming off the Naze wasn't clean....IDK if this could be causing any issues.

Also I have all 4 ESCs connected to the naze, power ground and signal. Should I not do this? am I putting too much voltage into the Naze. Someone told me it doesn't matter.

scrat

Post by scrat »

lookitsneil wrote:The first time I did this I didn't know that but even after removing the MinimOSD from my Naze I couldn't get into baseflight. Since then I sent that chip back thinking it was defective and bought a new one. This time after I had it set up, I attached my MinimOSD. When I powered the quad on, the quad went into program mode for the ESC (At least thats what it seemed to be). I then removed the minimOSD and put the quad into base flight. The Quad did not connect after that point either.

Im also noticing that the STM chip is getting hot on this Naze when its plugged in either USB or with power.

Two things that Im thinking of now is maybe my OSD chip is bad and sent some voltage back into the Naze to fry the chip. Im not running the OSD off the Nazes power supply, I am tapping 5v off my fatshark setup. I couldent use the Naze for the power source because when I would give the quad throttle it would make the OSD shutter, making me think that the power coming off the Naze wasn't clean....IDK if this could be causing any issues.

Also I have all 4 ESCs connected to the naze, power ground and signal. Should I not do this? am I putting too much voltage into the Naze. Someone told me it doesn't matter.

If STM chip is hot, this is not a good signal.

About ESC...if they have LINEAR BEC then you can have all 4 connected. But if they have switchig BEC, then only one can have + and - and signal connected. The rest just signal.

Pierre_A

Post by Pierre_A »

scrat wrote:
lookitsneil wrote:The first time I did this I didn't know that but even after removing the MinimOSD from my Naze I couldn't get into baseflight. Since then I sent that chip back thinking it was defective and bought a new one. This time after I had it set up, I attached my MinimOSD. When I powered the quad on, the quad went into program mode for the ESC (At least thats what it seemed to be). I then removed the minimOSD and put the quad into base flight. The Quad did not connect after that point either.

About ESC...if they have LINEAR BEC then you can have all 4 connected. But if they have switchig BEC, then only one can have + and - and signal connected. The rest just signal.

agree, "hot" is not as it should be.
I think you should come back to the simplest configuration in order to verify your Naze is OK. So disconnect everything other than USB for powering the board and communicating with GUI. Then you should get it connected and if not, I'm afraid you could have fried a part of it.

madisonlee

Post by madisonlee »

KC_703 wrote:
madisonlee wrote:Throttle fluctuate a lot when using the following setup, no fluctuation with Baseflight/Cleanflight builtin MOTOR TEST tab. I changed the mounting in case vibration caused the fluctuation but didn't help.

Frsky X8R

Try connectingthe X8R THR normally (ch3). If the fluctuations stop, it would point too the SBUS to CPPM converter. I've used a similar setup, but didn't notice and throttle fluctuations...

KC_703, thanks for your reply, I changed my whole RX/TX system to DEVO10 with RX1002 running PWM, same thing happened. Now leave me no option, I'm going to send the board to one of the developers, find out what's going on.
I've got my board from the following vendor, wondering what batch it was...mmm.

http://www.radioc.co.uk/Naze-32-funfly- ... p/3010.htm

madisonlee

Post by madisonlee »

madisonlee wrote:Dear all,

I'm new to NAZE32, switched from CC3D. However I bumped into a few issue with the setup, hope someone knowledgeable can help with my issues.

1. Magnetometer acting strange.

2. Throttle fluctuate crazy with TX input. (Frsky Taranis X9D + X8R Receiver)

Throttle fluctuate a lot when using the following setup, no fluctuation with Baseflight/Cleanflight builtin MOTOR TEST tab. I changed the mounting in case vibration caused the fluctuation but didn't help.

QAV280 Frame
6" props
NAZE32 Full Board Rev.5
Baseflight firmware released on: Oct 23 2014
Rotorgeeks 12A BLHeli ESC V3
4S Turnigy Nano-Tech 1300mah
ACC calibrated
MAG calibrated
PPM enabled
Frsky Taranis X9D
Throttle range trimmed 1000-2000 and 1500 mid stick.
Frsky X8R

Okay, to answer my own question 1 (Magnetometer jumping issue).
It turns out my MAG sensor corrupted, sensor graph shown no activity, I went into CLI then set mag_hardware = 3 (To disable the MAG Sensor). Then the 3D Model representation works perfectly, will find out if that's the reason why my throttle fluctuate. :|

usab

Post by usab »

Hi,

I found a software problem/fault concerning Battery Voltage:

# version
Afro32 CLI version 2.3 Oct 22 2014 / 19:03:34

Baseflight: 0.55

Others at rcgroups are having problems, too. :(

KC_703

Post by KC_703 »

That seems like a baseflight configurator issue... possibly just a typo in the code (maybe missing a digit). Thread here.

If you set in CLI, "set vbatmincellvoltage = 35", it sticks... A workaround for the time being is to set a the values offered on the Receivers Tab through the CLI:
set rc_rate = 90
set rc_expo = 65
set thr_mid = 50
set thr_expo = 30
map AETR1234
set rssi_aux_channel = 0

lookitsneil

Post by lookitsneil »

Pierre_A wrote:
scrat wrote:

agree, "hot" is not as it should be.
I think you should come back to the simplest configuration in order to verify your Naze is OK. So disconnect everything other than USB for powering the board and communicating with GUI. Then you should get it connected and if not, I'm afraid you could have fried a part of it.

So my ESCs are linear, so that's not an issue. I disconnected everything and I still get nothing so I'm gonna say that its fried. Sending it back today for a replacement. Like I said I'm gonna check all my voltages when I get the new one and see how it stands. maybe I have a crossed wire somewhere that's sending bad voltage to the board. If I cant find the issue I'm just gonna have to ditch using an OSD. Id rather fly then try and figure out why this stupid chip keeps frying my Naze.

Pierre_A

Post by Pierre_A »

lookitsneil wrote:So my ESCs are linear, so that's not an issue. I disconnected everything and I still get nothing so I'm gonna say that its fried. Sending it back today for a replacement. Like I said I'm gonna check all my voltages when I get the new one and see how it stands. maybe I have a crossed wire somewhere that's sending bad voltage to the board. If I cant find the issue I'm just gonna have to ditch using an OSD. Id rather fly then try and figure out why this stupid chip keeps frying my Naze.

just to be sure.. did you check the voltage delivered by the ESC to power the Naze ?

Chilternflyer

Post by Chilternflyer »

I've just upgraded all of my Naze32's to the latest version (22 oct 2014)

I'm using PPM input from an FR SKY D4R mkII with telemetry enabled.

Now I've tried to add a GPS for the first time.
I've got two known working GPS units (UBLOX LEA6 and a mediatek) both run at 38400 baud. I can't get either of them to work.

I'm using a PPM RX and pins 3&4 for the GPS connection.(I've tried them both ways around).
feature GPS is on and I've tried all combinations of GPS format/baudrate etc.
I'm out of ideas now :-(

My questions:
(1) Are there a known issue with GPS in the latest version??
(2) It says 3.3v in red in the manual but every wiring diagram I've seen shows the GPS being powered from a 5v source (off the motor connectors).
Is this my problem? Should I be using the 3.3v source to power the GPS units off the Naze board?

hwurzburg

Post by hwurzburg »

UBLOX gps is powered by 5V but signals compatible with either 3.3V or 5V systems...

Chilternflyer

Post by Chilternflyer »

thanks hwurzburg
I've got it working now. It appears that something in my office is making the UBLOX receiver a bit deaf. It works OK with the U-center app but seems to take a lifetime to acquire any sats when connected to the Naze. I left it on for an hour and it has a lock now.
I think I might invest in a better GPS unit!

hwurzburg

Post by hwurzburg »

Be aware that Baseflight reconfigures Ublox upon detection but does not save it in the GPS..so the config you see in Ucenter is not exactly what is being used..some things you set in Ucenter..like the sat rssi message are not impacted ...just noticed this once reading the code

hwurzburg

Post by hwurzburg »

Chilternflyer wrote:thanks hwurzburg
I've got it working now. It appears that something in my office is making the UBLOX receiver a bit deaf. It works OK with the U-center app but seems to take a lifetime to acquire any sats when connected to the Naze. I left it on for an hour and it has a lock now.
I think I might invest in a better GPS unit!

It might be noise from the naze,Rx,or vtx causing decreased GPS sensitivity,try different positions...on my minquad,I even put a grounded shield below the GPS and above the naze and that dramatically improved lock time....

scrat

Post by scrat »

I have just set in BF Conf GPS TYPE=UBLOX and EU EGNOS and my lock time is now 20sec- 8 sats :) then 30sec - 10 sats.

hwurzburg

Post by hwurzburg »

Not sure BF has GPS_SBAS_MODE clisetting....Cleanflight does, however

scrat

Post by scrat »

hwurzburg wrote:Not sure BF has GPS_SBAS_MODE clisetting....Cleanflight does, however

Just check and you'll be suprised. :) BF has this settings.

timecop

Post by timecop »

hwurzburg wrote:Not sure BF has GPS_SBAS_MODE clisetting....joblessflight does, however

protip, if you're not sure of something, not posting would be a better solution.