Naze32 hardware discussion thread

markab

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by markab »

timecop wrote:
markab wrote:Got my 270 size flying pretty good but having an issue when I enable the MAG, after a turn and into forward flight I get a pretty quick yaw to the left anywhere between 5 and 45 degrees, its a quick snap and not a drift. Mag is calibrated and gives sensible numbers in base flight.

Should also say I don't think I had the problem with the board in the default rotation, possibly it started when I rotated the board 90 degrees to get side access to the usb.

Any ideas?

board_align has only been tested for acro. I wouldn't be surprised if it completely breaks mag.

Would you like me to log a bug?

timecop

Post by timecop »

I wouldn't know how to fix it, since the rotation stuff is a bit hacky.
I think the problem is with mag calibration being done in "original" axes and then rotated.

jihlein

Post by jihlein »

I do all my sensor calibrations in the "sensor" frame, and apply them in sensor frame. The calibrated sensor values are then rotated into the body frame for use by the estimation and control algorithms.

It's pretty straight forward for the gyro and mag, the accel gets a little complicated because the requested calibration orientations are in the body frame, so there's an extra body to sensor frame rotation.

timecop

Post by timecop »

jihlein, we'll need to talk soon :)

rubadub

Re: Sv: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by rubadub »

strips wrote:
rubadub wrote:sorry if this has been asked before, but, other than removing the chip itself, is there any way to easily disable the onboard mag sensor on the afro naze32? I'm assuming there isn't but figured I'd check just in case...

Short answer. No.

For the equipped and knowledgeable it's simple. Just remove the whole chip :) You need hot air and know how. Thingking of doing this my self but I I'm afraid I'll ruin the board.

almighty timecop, if you please, a hardware feature request: In the future, could you please consider the possibility of adding a jumper pad/solder blob (don't know what the technical term for these are) in order to optionally disable the onboard mag sensor from the full afro boards?

scrat

Post by scrat »

Just buy acro board.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Yeah. Anyway, since any new hardware (if any) would use SPI sensors, the point of disabling mag is kinda moot.

Adicakes

Post by Adicakes »

Mr Timecop + friends,

A feature request: could you please implement some flashing lights for stick-based gyro calibration on the AfroMini?

I know there are fewer lights on the AfroMini, but something -- anything -- flashing during the gyro calibration process would really help the flier see what's going on. :)

timecop

Post by timecop »

Yea, reassignable leds has been on my todo list for a while.... Especially for afromini... :(

multime

Post by multime »

Howdy all

New to the Naze32 and had a KK2,0 prior. With my TRI with the KK board I had the front 2 motors turning towards each other (inward). On the Naze it appears there is no choice and they are all to turn counter clockwise.
Whilst I can swap 2 ESC leads, it seems counter intuitive to have all 3 motors turning counterclockwise, making the servo at the rear having to compensate more. Can someone please describe the Cmix function to reverse motors? I saw this a few pages back but I didn't understand the syntax. Great well made board and I'm looking forward to flying it soon. Cheers

stronnag

Post by stronnag »

The motors can turn any way you like, the FC has no knowledge of that. My naze32 equipped tri has the motors as you described and it flys just fine.

rubadub

Post by rubadub »

scrat wrote:Just buy acro board.

nope, acro doesn't have baro. onboard baro is fine, but onboard mag has issues.

However, if TC says the sensor interface is moving to SPI, then it doesn't matter anyway...

nebbian

Post by nebbian »

Andyjones wrote:well as long as Im asking dumb questions, is there anyway of putting the trigger and echo out to other pins with the non-ppm setup?

Yes. You can use motor pins 5 and 6 so you can still use your non ppm receiver. Cleanflight now supports sonar only mode so you don't need a baro at all now, it works out of the box.

I was flying this last night in an underground carpark, it worked very well :-)

danhouldsworth

Post by danhouldsworth »

TC - quick question, I've belatedly noticed that since 08/10/2014 all AcroNaze32 boards are shipping with 16v capable regulators. Don't now why I thought otherwise as this will be a huge win for my current projects.
I've got loads of boards (all red rev 5 boards) bought from a few different sources and trying to clarify whether I have these or not before I fry them.

Second (quicker) question - have you tested these with a freshly charged 16.8v? Feel free to just point me to a data sheet, but struggling to read any markers on the part itself

timecop

Post by timecop »

If 2 5-pin parts in opposite corners (SOT23-5) say "DE=0??" on them, then its max 5.5V. If they say something ilke "|L32?" on them, then its max 16V. Absolute maximum rating for the 16V regs used says +-20V on input - but I would not recommend doing that too often. Also, at 16V, these WILL heat up. You're completely on your own there :) Mostly these were changed to allow running directly off 2-3S, on micro builds where a BEC isn't needed or wanted.

If you do decide to run them off 4S, under no circumstances should you try to attach anything to 3.3V pin (like BT module or etc), the regs will be heating up enough from just the load by sensors/mcu.

danhouldsworth

Post by danhouldsworth »

Thanks TC - I was indeed planning to run a Spek Sat of the 3.3v with a 4s...

I've got a handful of TO-220 package 5v regulators lying around I can use for now. Presumably I can get away without any additional smoothing caps as your onboard regs will still do this sufficiently.

While I think of it, is there anything on the board that uses 5v or do the 3.3v regs supply everything - am guessing I could alternatively supply the 3.3v pin with a (properly smoothed) supply in the unfortunate even that I did blow the onboard regs?

I know from my early days with APM2.5, they often had the 3.3v regulator blow, which was an absolute pain to diagnose as both mcu's were still happily running away on the 5v circuit just reporting that the IMU and baro weren't working as expected...

timecop

Post by timecop »

No, there's 2 separate 3V rails - but what you could do is just give it ~3.xV to begin with (instead of 5),, and the regulators will just work in dropout mode without regulating anything.. All the stuff on board will actually run down to 2.8V? I believe so even 3V output is fine.

Anand

Post by Anand »

The new Baseflight update now includes SBUS option, can i use a Frsky rx on the cppm plugs?

Also what is the common way to mount the naze32 mini in a quad? Velcro?

scrat

Post by scrat »

Anand wrote:The new Baseflight update now includes SBUS option, can i use a Frsky rx on the cppm plugs?

Also what is the common way to mount the naze32 mini in a quad? Velcro?

Nylon standoffs or double sided tape.

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

I would like to know if the new update and the SBUS option is worth investigating or not.

This little Frsky receiver might be a good match;

Frsky X4RSB Reciever

http://www.rctodayshow.com/forum/viewto ... =17&t=1706

denof

Post by denof »

nice update, and quit clear...

still one question, i did see can do a inflight callibratie? is there a readeble manual for it?
i did stick it to one of my aux chanals,

greetz from denof

othala

Post by othala »

I have hard time to setup an EzUHF RX PPM 4ch a Naze32 board and a minimOSD with KVOSD firm.

Actually it's not working there is exactly what I did :

1 - setup my EzUHF like this picture :

2 - I made on the CLI on the Naze set rssi_aux_channel = 4 and save

3 - On the KVOsd I setup to get input from MWI and I disable PWM see below :

As I understand the unique wire is my PPM cable from my port 1 of my EzUHF RX to the PPM port on my Naze.

When I see Aux 4 on Baseflight nothing is moving on channel monitor , and in the OSD RSSI signal is stuck at 49%. I assume that RSSI signal is not correctly interpreted by the Naze because I see anything on the GUI on the Aux 4.

Is someone have precise idea on what I made wrong ?

Thanks for your help .. really much

danhouldsworth

Post by danhouldsworth »

timecop wrote:No, there's 2 separate 3V rails.

Out of interest - is this for reasons of layout, or to provide multiple redundancy?

jmooreou

Post by jmooreou »

My first post - simple question from a noob

I just received 4 of these boards (3 Acro and one full) and I've built a FPV-230 for my first project with the Acro controller. I'm having a blast learning and experimenting and I think this is likely my go to controller for future projects.

I am currently flying (mostly crashing) using the default (Rate) mode with default PIDS.

I need to set up the easiest mode and slow things down a little. When my copter starts to drift, it actually seems to accellerate in that direction when I center the sticks.

So what is the easiest, most stable mode to fly and what would the first PID change from default that one might suggest to help get me started so I can avoid hitting nearby objects?

Thanks for any suggestions.

rubadub

Post by rubadub »

weird question, but what parts would I need in order to add the baro sensor and flash memory to an acro board? I'm looking for a specific list of part #'s and quantities in order to get this done, all of the caps, resistors, etc.. Please no comments about it being a hard task, I'll take it on at my own risk...

timecop

Post by timecop »

This has been covered in the thread before, even with pics of what needed to be added.
Pretty sure there's some forum thread and/or wiki entry somewhre on this too.

rubadub

Post by rubadub »

ok, sorry, will go ahead & search for that. thanks for the head's up...

al_voisine

I Think I Bricked My AfroFlight Naze32

Post by al_voisine »

I am new to this forum and multirotors, so bear with me please. I did search for a similar problem without luck.

Unpacked the Naze32 rev.5 and plugged it into the USB. I found the drivers online and got it to work. I ran Baseflight (Chrome) and it told me that I needed to update my firmware. But it wouldn't allow me to update it. Then I found STM's Flashloader Demonstrator software to send the Naze32 the "R" and got the lights all lit up for the boot-loader. Next I found two hex files in the Baseflight directory and used the Hercules Setup Utility to load the firmware. Then the trouble started. I tried both files and kept getting error messages.

So next up is to short the Boot pins and start clean. Now only the blue LED lights when I plug it in to the USB. The PC sees USB connection and loads the drivers. However, none of the three programs can talk to the Naze32.

Have I bricked it? Should I just order a new one (or two)?

Any help would be appreciated.

AL

timecop

Post by timecop »

FIrmware update has been covered a million times. Since you fucked it up, delete hercules, putty, stmflashloader, etc,
Short boot pins, check "no reboot sequence" in baseflight configurator, flash.

al_voisine

Post by al_voisine »

Thanks for the assistance. I was missing the part where the pins had to be left shorted until the firmware update was completed. As opposed to simply shorting it out with power on and then taking it off.

AL

timecop

Post by timecop »

No, you weren't missing anything.
Short them, plug in power, unshort. Bent paperclip or tweezers works best for it.
If you can't manage plugging in cable while they're shorted, keep the board/pads shorted and plug the opposite end of USB cable into PC/laptop/hub

al_voisine

Post by al_voisine »

When I left it shorted, I was able to make it work. Just temporarily shorting it didn't work for me. I even put the battery on a switch and had my wife flip the switch while I applied the short. It's working now, so thanks for the help.

CVMichael

Post by CVMichael »

I just built an H-quad, and I am using the AfroFlight Naze32 Acro from HobbyKing.com.
The problem is that the quad spins to the right (clockwise) when I try to take off.

The only thing that is unusual is that when I built the h-quad, I did not take into account the wires that come out of the Naze32 board, I did not make the center wide enough to fit the FC in the middle, so I had to turn the Naze32 board 45 degrees to left (counter-clockwise). In the baseflight configurator, under configuration tab, under "Board Alignment", I set the "Yaw Adjustment [deg]" to -45. Is that correct?

Could it be another reason why my quad spins clockwise?

PS. I calibrated the ESCs, and the Accelerometer. Running firmware is Oct 1, 2014
Attachments
My H-Quad
My H-Quad

timecop

Post by timecop »

Well, its either -45 or +45, you can try both, after its connected, tilt the model front/back/left/right and watch 3d model in configurator, it should follow..

CVMichael

Post by CVMichael »

Thanks for the reply! The 3d model shows correctly when I move the quad around with my hand, that's why I am confused on what is the problem... it's 12 midnight here now, I will try +45 tomorrow. Thanks again :)

timecop

Post by timecop »

triple check all props rotations/direction/connection order etc.

Gaijin

Post by Gaijin »

AAARGH,

i've just cooked another Naze, I suspect the KVteam OSD Is overvolting the telemetry port (It's a 12v camera system) , anyone else experienced this, I guess the telemetry port isn't very tolerent.
I also have some of the 6v AfroEsc's which have been fine otherwise, could be a supect?

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

6 V afros will fry the Naze32 pretty quick. I have also had problems connecting USB to the Naze and then connecting and disconnecting power whilst the TeamKVOSD is connected up. I disconnect power from the minimOSD now before i mess around with USB and stuff.

Michael van der hoek

Post by Michael van der hoek »

What can i have done wrong? Soldered 5+ nazes and never had any problems. Now i just updated my quad with an full naze rev5 and it isnt working!

When connected to the pc theres a small black ?capacitor? that gets real hot! Naze isnt lighting up or anything.

Its the black thing in the lower right, between the 2 brown parts.

timecop

Post by timecop »

It's gone, you plugged something backwards or fried it some other way. needs mcu replaced, not worth the effort (and all the melted headers)

CVMichael

Post by CVMichael »

Hi timecop,

I tried today with +45 degrees, and the 3D model was way off, so -45 is the correct one... but it still does not work :(
While I had my quad sitting on the table, and not moving, I noticed the 3D model was moving... the heading is changing is a sinusoidal way. I uploaded a video of the baseflight 3D model, for you to see. All the time the quad was flat, and not moving on a table:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2D8bzQl4eI

I double checked the propellers position and direction, I just don't see anything wrong.
Here is another video of it spinning, maybe it gives you a better idea on what is wrong?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3dffMVTXpw

Thanks for you help! :)

Michael van der hoek

Post by Michael van der hoek »

Weird that the board is fried, didnt do anything other that usual, and when i replaced the fried naze with an acro one all work, so cant be a wiring prob.

ReadError

Post by ReadError »

CVMichael wrote:I just built an H-quad, and I am using the AfroFlight Naze32 Acro from HobbyKing.com.
The problem is that the quad spins to the right (clockwise) when I try to take off.

The only thing that is unusual is that when I built the h-quad, I did not take into account the wires that come out of the Naze32 board, I did not make the center wide enough to fit the FC in the middle, so I had to turn the Naze32 board 45 degrees to left (counter-clockwise). In the baseflight configurator, under configuration tab, under "Board Alignment", I set the "Yaw Adjustment [deg]" to -45. Is that correct?

Could it be another reason why my quad spins clockwise?

PS. I calibrated the ESCs, and the Accelerometer. Running firmware is Oct 1, 2014

Simple, look at the props, this is not right for any configuration ever.

CVMichael

Post by CVMichael »

OMG! You are right, both left side the motors were spinning in the opposite direction! I can't believe I checked the direction a few times, I every time I gave it a "pass"...

I feel embarrassed for making such stupid mistakes :(

But I am glad it's working! :) I am going out for some flying fun :) yeey

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Hi guys,

I just want to share with you how amazing the AfroMini 32 board is. It will recuperate from high rate diagonal flips keeping its initial heading (with no mag ...). That's a statement for the quality of the board, the sensors used and Baseflight of course.

Here's a video of one of my 3D printed 250 size frames with AfroMini and Baseflight :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZQrhfW ... e=youtu.be

I got the AfroMini working with GPS on UART2 and Mag connected to Sda and Scl. 8-)

A few picture of my other copters (OctoX8, QuadX) ...
DSC_0041.JPG
(118.34 KiB) Not downloaded yet

DSC_0061.JPG
(118.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet

DSC_0071.JPG
(129.25 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by leocopter on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CoolD

Post by CoolD »

TimeCop
hobby king says naze32 take direct voltage input
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFtsiC1 ... Eh2uRBbRmw

is that true ? I thought the vbat pin was for voltage monitoring only. can I power naze32 from a 4s or 3s battery directly ?

timecop

Post by timecop »

You can from 3S, you kinda can off 4S (Vreg max is 16V, absolute max 20V), so for 4S maybe you better stick a diode in series. Voltage doens't go to Vbat but directly to PWM pin (i.e the 5V motor connector center pins). Do keep in mind that if you are connecting 3S directly there, your receiver must also be able to run off that voltage. I.e. 8FR-HV or whatever stuff from FrSky. If your receiver needs 5V, then you better off getting a 5V bec/etc.

Andyjones

Post by Andyjones »

nebbian wrote:
Andyjones wrote:well as long as Im asking dumb questions, is there anyway of putting the trigger and echo out to other pins with the non-ppm setup?

Yes. You can use motor pins 5 and 6 so you can still use your non ppm receiver. Cleanflight now supports sonar only mode so you don't need a baro at all now, it works out of the box.

I was flying this last night in an underground carpark, it worked very well :-)

hey thanks man, I saw your video, great stuff man! So I got clean flight going and it does the same thing to me as baseflight, the SONAR wont go green without PPM enabled. Hooked up to motor pins 5 and 6. I have the full sensor board so baro and all. Im stuck, you got any tips?

.Joel

Post by .Joel »

Anyone able to share if the Naze32 battery telemetry works with the new FrSky X8R SBUS receivers?
Just wondering as the old D4R-ii were their "analog" sensors, and the new X series runs their "smart port" sensors.

nebbian

Post by nebbian »

AndyJones:

have you typed in
feature sonar
in the CLI?

Are you running the latest cleanflight? The sonar stuff was only integrated into the main branch quite recently (2 or 3 weeks ago).

Also, just to confirm, you did actually flash cleanflight into your board right? (Someone on rcgroups equated "Running cleanflight" with just running the configurator).