Naze32 hardware discussion thread

sk8nride

Re: Naze32 v5 ppm problem SORRY FOR NOOB

Post by sk8nride »

Hi, Im looking for some help, it seems such a basic thing, ive not had a issue on other controllers and im sure its something simple being new to this board...

I cant get the PPM to work...

16:17:05 -- Running - OS: Windows, Chrome: 36.0.1985.125, Configurator: 0.48
16:17:09 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 1
16:17:09 -- Unique device ID received - 0x669ff534955805087254613
16:17:09 -- Firmware Version: 2.3

Enabled PPM via the (feature ppm). Saved and restarted plenty of times.

Viewed that its set to that on reboot and is.

Ive plugged a servo into the futaba r6208sb direct and the 8fg TX's fine and moves the servo.

Ive checked continuity for the 3 cables on the servo fly lead from the RX to the Naze board.

I have the green LED on the RX, shows i have power by voltage and ground.. Just dont know about the ppm stream..

I have the blue LED on the naze solid. The motor test works fine...

Ive plugged in a channel direct from the RX to ch1 on the naze and disabling PPM and I can get that channel to work... so its just sbus or ppm...

Im stuck!

Any help would be good... this is the acro board, I have the full naze32 turning up tomorrow so will have something else to compare against but would like to solve this beauty.

Thanks.

Scott

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by Scott »

Does the R6208sb do ppm?

I think it only does s-bus.
http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/r6208sb-manual.pdf

AvengerIl

Re: Naze32 v5 ppm problem SORRY FOR NOOB

Post by AvengerIl »

sk8nride wrote:Hi, Im looking for some help, it seems such a basic thing, ive not had a issue on other controllers and im sure its something simple being new to this board...

I cant get the PPM to work...

16:17:05 -- Running - OS: Windows, Chrome: 36.0.1985.125, Configurator: 0.48
16:17:09 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 1
16:17:09 -- Unique device ID received - 0x669ff534955805087254613
16:17:09 -- Firmware Version: 2.3

Enabled PPM via the (feature ppm). Saved and restarted plenty of times.

Viewed that its set to that on reboot and is.

Ive plugged a servo into the futaba r6208sb direct and the 8fg TX's fine and moves the servo.

Ive checked continuity for the 3 cables on the servo fly lead from the RX to the Naze board.

I have the green LED on the RX, shows i have power by voltage and ground.. Just dont know about the ppm stream..

I have the blue LED on the naze solid. The motor test works fine...

Ive plugged in a channel direct from the RX to ch1 on the naze and disabling PPM and I can get that channel to work... so its just sbus or ppm...

Im stuck!

Any help would be good... this is the acro board, I have the full naze32 turning up tomorrow so will have something else to compare against but would like to solve this beauty.

Thanks.

Are using an s.bus to cppm converter? between naze and rx?

Astrolabius

Post by Astrolabius »

Hey TC, I just bought a Naze32 mini off of somebody, and despite trying the usual remedies with respect to Baseflight connectivity, I still can't get the board to connect to BF. Someone mentioned that you can fix these non-connecting boards, is that true? If so, where can I send it to have this done? Thanks.

backfired

Post by backfired »

Just reflashed to latest firmware in baseflight gui and vbat stopped working. Vbat is enabled and other telemetry info is reading on Taranis. Vfas on Taranis is 0. I was getting a reading prior to the update. Voltage measures full battery on vbat pins. Voltage reads correctly on the initial setup tab.

I would reflash to previous firmware but I don't know how.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

fiendie

Post by fiendie »

Astrolabius wrote:Hey TC, I just bought a Naze32 mini off of somebody, and despite trying the usual remedies with respect to Baseflight connectivity, I still can't get the board to connect to BF. Someone mentioned that you can fix these non-connecting boards, is that true? If so, where can I send it to have this done? Thanks.

No need to send it anywhere.
You can short the bootloader pins before connecting your USB-Serial. After that go into the firmware flasher of cTn's chrome app and tick the box "No reboot sequence". Then you should be able to flash it.

cybergibbons

Post by cybergibbons »

backfired wrote:Just reflashed to latest firmware in baseflight gui and vbat stopped working. Vbat is enabled and other telemetry info is reading on Taranis. Vfas on Taranis is 0. I was getting a reading prior to the update. Voltage measures full battery on vbat pins. Voltage reads correctly on the initial setup tab.

My Naze32 originally sent the voltage via VFAS to the Taranis, as this was what I had setup on my telemetry page. I then upgraded the firmware to the latest, and it changed to coming through Cell/Cells.

I also upgrade OpenTX on the Taranis so not sure which aspect did it.

akcom

Post by akcom »

backfired wrote:Just reflashed to latest firmware in baseflight gui and vbat stopped working. Vbat is enabled and other telemetry info is reading on Taranis. Vfas on Taranis is 0. I was getting a reading prior to the update. Voltage measures full battery on vbat pins. Voltage reads correctly on the initial setup tab.

I just updated my firmware as well and I have not had any problems

AvengerIl

Post by AvengerIl »

cybergibbons wrote:

My Naze32 originally sent the voltage via VFAS to the Taranis, as this was what I had setup on my telemetry page. I then upgraded the firmware to the latest, and it changed to coming through Cell/Cells.

You could connect your Naze32 Telemetry out pin to serial port at 9600N1 (FTDI..etc), and check you're getting a stable 0x5E 0x06 0xXX 0xXX 0x5E. (Umongst other data)
Thats the voltage sent down, one cell at a time. (FrSkyTelemetry style)

marcelokron

Post by marcelokron »

Hi guys, just two quick ones.

1 - It is normal the cube that show the position of the quad on baseflight be turning on the yaw axis even the quad being standing?
(I have notice if I still on hover it start to give just a little bit of yaw)

2- I add the command "deadband = 10" but my stick numbers still jumping a little bit including the throttle ... should I worry about it?

thank you guys!!

timecop

Post by timecop »

marcelokron wrote:Hi guys, just two quick ones.

1 - It is normal the cube that show the position of the quad on baseflight be turning on the yaw axis even the quad being standing?

2- I add the command "deadband = 10" but my stick numbers still jumping a little bit including the throttle ... should I worry about it?

thank you guys!!

1. normal w/o mag. yaw will drift. depending on temperature.
2. rc graphs show raw values. deadband is internally handled before sending controls to pid. no problem.

marcelokron

Post by marcelokron »

Thank you so much timecop!! As always, fast and precise reply!!
thank you!!

timecop wrote:
marcelokron wrote:Hi guys, just two quick ones.

thank you guys!!

1. normal w/o mag. yaw will drift. depending on temperature.
2. rc graphs show raw values. deadband is internally handled before sending controls to pid. no problem.

Rust

Post by Rust »

Sorry if already asked, but are there any plans for implementing EosBandi's "GPS NAV" work in NAZE32?

royce.meredith

Post by royce.meredith »

Hey guys, in all of your Naze32 dealings have you seen this happen before?
http://youtu.be/AzbAw7oQGh4?list=UU_gMQGFC0Q2902e7eZxBaqg
the Red and Green lights flash back and forth... Its a Flip32+. It started doing this after I upgraded to the lastest Baseflight FW and on my first flight after I had a wonderful spiral of death down to some hard ground. Any thoughts? I have already ordered a new one just in case I can't get it fixed but I wanted to ask you guys. Thanks for any help!

AvengerIl

Post by AvengerIl »

I have a curious thing happening,

my esc's are beeping as if not getting any pwm from naze32, it started happening when i started playing around with a bluetooth module. my radio can arm, so rx is receiving ok. and the android app can activate motors.. its as if the firmware got itself into a funny state..for a while disarming would get the escs to shut up... fishing for ideas

AvengerIl

Post by AvengerIl »

oops.. seems ez gui or one of those apps overwrites some critical settings. reflashing firmware fixed it.

AvengerIl

Post by AvengerIl »

android multiwii configurator. thrashes eeprom.

geekness

Post by geekness »

royce.meredith wrote:Hey guys, in all of your Naze32 dealings have you seen this happen before?
http://youtu.be/AzbAw7oQGh4?list=UU_gMQGFC0Q2902e7eZxBaqg
the Red and Green lights flash back and forth... Its a Flip32+. It started doing this after I upgraded to the lastest Baseflight FW and on my first flight after I had a wonderful spiral of death down to some hard ground. Any thoughts? I have already ordered a new one just in case I can't get it fixed but I wanted to ask you guys. Thanks for any help!

If I were you, I would hide in shame. 32+?
Don't you know how tc feels about readytoflyquads?

timecop

Post by timecop »

it's dead, do what you already did and buy a new one,

akcom

Post by akcom »

I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Besides flashing my naze32 to cleanflight, there is no way to use a satellite receiver and GPS together, correct?

If this is the case, could I change that by editing the serialUSART2 function to use different pins depending on whether its serialrx or gps?

Code: Select all

gpio.pin = Pin_3; //change this for satellite rx?
    gpio.mode = Mode_IPU;
    if (mode & MODE_RX)
        gpioInit(GPIOA, &gpio);

AvengerIl

Post by AvengerIl »

Anyone has some recommendations about PID settings etc to make a large unconventional frame hold its balance in the air?

Turnigy Multistar 570KV running at 2S with 18" Props. (lower voltage than recommended for that motor, bigger props. plenty of power though)
HK Redbrick 60A standard firmware. (Is it uber important I flash with eg. SimonK?)
500mm arms, Quad Vtail.
Naze32 of course.

With the standard settings it takes off but with a gust of wind it starts oscillating and cannot rebalance itself, comes down to earth as the oscilations lead to power loss.

It's 1.4kg with a 2S 13000mah battery and needs about 35A to hover. ie ~20mins. Thats the good news.

nebbian

Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by nebbian »

V tail or A tail? (ie do the rear motors blow towards or away from each other)

Have you set up a custom mix for this?

Chances are that by tweaking the mixing table you'll get it happy. I'm yet to see a default V tail mix that is set up nicely.

AvengerIl

Post by AvengerIl »

oh wow. actually it is an A tail. Theyre pointed out away from each other, blowing the air towards the middle. Inice suggestion mixing table ... gues theres 3 things that ill can tweak to get it right. tx~

nebbian

Post by nebbian »

AvengerIl wrote:oh wow. actually it is an A tail. Theyre pointed out away from each other, blowing the air towards the middle. Inice suggestion mixing table ... gues theres 3 things that ill can tweak to get it right. tx~

Yep I like A tails, they're easier to set up and get more prop clearance than V tails.

Try this:

Cmix load VTAIL4
cmix 1 1.000 0.000 1.000 1.000
cmix 2 1.000 -0.710 -0.710 -0.200
cmix 3 1.000 0.000 1.000 -1.000
cmix 4 1.000 0.710 -0.710 0.200

If you think that this is not that great, then you can revert to the old settings by doing this:

cmix reset
mixer VTAIL4

Nate0624

Post by Nate0624 »

Has anyone seen this msg when plugging into USB and hit 'Connect'?

11:52:26 -- No configuration received within 10 seconds, communication failed
11:52:26 -- Serial port successfully closed

The USB port appears to be working because it dings when I plug it into the FC board. All the proper lights come on - red and blue after a few blinks.
I can tell my PIDs and settings are on the board. I just can't plug it in to update.

I've wiggled the USB cord around and nothing. Again, it appears to be conntected.

EDIT: I did fry an OSD board yesterday by giving it 12V rather than 5V. It was only hooked up to the Tx/Rx pins on the Naze32 board. The board worked no prob after I disconnected the fried OSD.

Could this have blown something related to the port?

AvengerIl

Post by AvengerIl »

Nate0624 wrote:Has anyone seen this msg when plugging into USB and hit 'Connect'?

11:52:26 -- No configuration received within 10 seconds, communication failed
11:52:26 -- Serial port successfully closed

I get that more often than not because my laptop is dying and is XP with old version of everything. Restarting it sorts me out.
Other machines such as a work PC seem to work a lot better for me.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Nate0624 wrote:EDIT: I did fry an OSD board yesterday by giving it 12V rather than 5V. It was only hooked up to the Tx/Rx pins on the Naze32 board. The board worked no prob after I disconnected the fried OSD.

Yep, it's gone.

badstraw

Post by badstraw »

Hey guys just a quick question..

Im testing my blackout quad, but for some reason the smd green light on the FC won't light up, I can see only the red light (angle mode) and blue light when the board is armed.

If I try to calibrate the gyro or accelerometer with the sticks on my tx, it doesn't do anything, Im not getting any blinking response on the NAZE at all, the weird thing is that I can arm the board and fly the quad perfectly fine.

If I try to hover in no wind it stays level for a couple of seconds and then it starts drifting to the right, I calibrated the accelerometer in base flight, but it doesn't let me calibrate the gyro and It won't let me trim it.

I calibrated my taranis so that the minimum throttle is 1053, mid throttle 1504, max throttle 1954

My settings in baseflight are:
minthrottle = 1150
maxthrottle = 1850
mincommand = 1000
mincheck = 1100
maxcheck = 1900

I have the NAZE32 REV5 board, taranis x9D, d8r-Xp receiver

I'm a little confused and worried, because like I said when I arm the board the middle green led on the naze won't turn on, it stays off, did I get a defective board?

I'm a little confused and worried, because like I said when I arm the board the middle green led on the naze won't turn on, it stays off, did I get a defective board?

I would appreciate any help to make this thing work properly..

timecop

Post by timecop »

Does it blink red/green when you power it on?
Last batch of 1.5k I've only had 2 boards where the leds were not working and I reworked those and replaced with good leds.
It's unlikely that one with non-working leds would let pass.

Does it actually arm and work after you read the manual and properly set endpoints and midrc?

badstraw

Post by badstraw »

Not really, it won't come on at all, it stays off all the time after I plug the battery in, or if I arm the motors.
I can arm the motors with the sticks and fly the quad, it seems stable but after a while it starts to drift to the right and there's no way I can trim it or calibrate the gyro because I don't see any green light blinking..

When I connect the battery I just see the red LED flashing , and the blue LED comes on, that's about it.

How do i set the endpoints and midrc?

I really appreciate your help...

badstraw

Post by badstraw »

absolutely ,I've followed the video and for all the channels what I do is that I set a sub-trim on my radio to get 1005 on the low side and 1995 on the high side.
I don't know what could be happening, honestly Im starting to think that the board is damaged or something, or maybe Im doing something wrong.

My settings in baseflight are:
minthrottle = 1006
maxthrottle = 1994
mincommand = 1000
mincheck = 1100
maxcheck = 1900

I have the NAZE32 REV5 board, taranis x9D, d8r-Xp receiver

thanks for the help ..

timecop

Post by timecop »

I dont actually see what the problem is? Other than your Yaw is 1488 at idle (or is it?)
Anyway just go fly it, if you want green led then just solder a new one in place of it or something.

badstraw

Post by badstraw »

it shows 1488 because I was moving the throttle stick

thanks man.. just a question, how would I know if I the ACCtrim and gyro calibration work when I do the stick combinations.

Can I trim the quad in base flight? without the green led I won't be able to see that, right?
Last edited by badstraw on Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

creyc

Post by creyc »

You can see accelerometer trims on the first page of configurator, above the save button.

If LEDs aren't a good option for you, there is a place to install a DC buzzer on the naze and you can hear confirmation beeps during calibration and trimming.

rlyonsa@cox.net

Post by rlyonsa@cox.net »

cybergibbons wrote:

th

Thanks for the response. I changed from vfas to cells and am getting a reading now.

Tritium

Post by Tritium »

HK Naze32? "The HobbyKing version is fully authorized and royalties are paid to the developer on each Naze32 sold."

True or False?

Thurmond

kilby

Post by kilby »

Tritium wrote:HK Naze32? "The HobbyKing version is fully authorized and royalties are paid to the developer on each Naze32 sold."

True or False?

Thurmond

You sound a little confrontational (especially for a first post)

kilby

Post by kilby »

Tritium wrote:HK Naze32? "The HobbyKing version is fully authorized and royalties are paid to the developer on each Naze32 sold."

True or False?

Thurmond

treym

Post by treym »

True or False?

Thurmond

developer as in hardware designer .. not as in software

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oller.html

this is to be opposed with cloners as they are acquainted with theft.

AvengerIl

Post by AvengerIl »

its incredible, a civilized technical forum, a true or false question get 3 responses and none of them feature tue or false in the anwser...

bicycle

Post by bicycle »

AvengerIl wrote:its incredible, a civilized technical forum, a true or false question get 3 responses and none of them feature tue or false in the anwser...

false

treym

Post by treym »

bicycle wrote:
AvengerIl wrote:its incredible, a civilized technical forum, a true or false question get 3 responses and none of them feature tue or false in the anwser...

false

true :)

AvengerIl

Post by AvengerIl »

Im a Pirate mateys! arr arrrr arr
my comments had been censored and ive been reported.
Attachments
IMG_20140814_102626.jpg

Tritium

Post by Tritium »

kilby wrote:

True or False?

Thurmond

What is this RCGroups? :)

I just don't want to support cloners that do BAD soldering like HK is famous for!
I have never purchased except from timecop direct!

Thurmond

timecop

Post by timecop »

Don't worry. It took several tries and production houses to get it right but I'm satisfied with what they're delivering at this point.
Also each unit is ran through a testjig to test all the functionality, etc etc. This is not your typical clonespy/mullet crap that's shipped without firmware loaded or untested.
Making 3k of these things a month can only go on for so long before I get bored of it...

AvengerIl

Post by AvengerIl »

HK store has ur handmade version or are they made completely by magical elves in shenzhen? Eitherway does HK send you a cheque when they sell a few units?

lunithy

Post by lunithy »

strips

Sv: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by strips »

timecop wrote:no, beacuse it serves no purpose.
As plushchi said, you want oneshot, set motor pwm to 400hz, set looptime to match, and done.
also would be very interested in a "review" of oneshot by someone who isn't
1) flyduino / viacopter shill
2) felix the creator
3) warthox the sellout

You got me wondering. Will the 400Hz refresh rate change if you change looptime? Like pids? How is the refresh rate timed?

uvlight

Post by uvlight »

timecop wrote:Don't worry. It took several tries and production houses to get it right but I'm satisfied with what they're delivering at this point.
Also each unit is ran through a testjig to test all the functionality, etc etc. This is not your typical clonespy/mullet crap that's shipped without firmware loaded or untested.
Making 3k of these things a month can only go on for so long before I get bored of it...

I guess that means HobbyKing version gets timecop's personal approve. (I prefer full version over the acro myself)
I am still looking forward from AbuseMark for some different color, and maybe rev6 coming soon?