Naze32 hardware discussion thread

brm

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by brm »

timecop wrote:Wait, why the fuck do YOU care why people buy it?
People buy Macbook Air, and its "not very usefull" [sic] does it mean you have to ask them for their reasoning?

yes, we know.
no windoze installed.

strips

Sv: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by strips »

Fireb1adex wrote:
timecop wrote:Can't with current firmware.
There's some work to put low(er) speed GPS on softserial but its not optimal. Dump spectrum for PPM rx.
There are some DSM(x) receivers that output PPM, notably the lemon/orangerx stuff.

Ok makes sense, I had it lose connection when fpv'ing so not a bad shout...I was on 5.8 vid so would expect that to crap out first but hey ho.

If your Spektrum or Orange DSM RX has sbus. You can use the FrSky sbus to PPM converter.

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

rank wrote:Ok, narrowed down the problem to the physical conflict of the gps and ppm inputs. When either of them is unplugged everything gets normal. Here's a vide of how the channels are jumping. Please somebody help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaZBYiNy ... e=youtu.be

Dilbert66 wrote:Which rev board are you guys running? Did you try the cli setting emf_avoidance which overlocks the naze32 to 84 mhz (assuming a 12mhz xtal for the rev5) set up for this reason . Older revs overclock to 80mhz I believe with an 8mhz xtal.

Easy fix - turn telemetry off on the 433mhz long range receiver you are using. It interferences with the Naze32 causing the jitters you see.

Clever fix - overclock the Naze32 as Dilbert suggests.

I've used the easy method myself but i may go back and try the overclocking method instead. It would be nice to hear telemetry beeps on packet loss.

eBoon

Post by eBoon »

Help - Have a NAZE that I was attempting to update firmware - failed during the update (sorry can't remember the exact error). Now when I connect via USB, only the Blue LED is lit. Using Baseflight Configurator, I have unchecked Auto-Connect, loaded online firmware - but when I press flash I get: "STM32 - timed out, programming: FAILED". I have tried shorting the boot loader pads and then applying power (via USB), but that does not seem to make any difference.

I have checked the box that says "No reboot sequence"

If I try to connect I get:
10:34:30 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 33
10:34:40 -- No configuration received within 10 seconds, communication failed
10:34:40 -- Serial port successfully closed

Wondering if I am not successfully shorting the boot pads, but I thought that the fact that only the blue LED is lit indicates that it should take the firmware update.

eBoon

Post by eBoon »

eBoon wrote:Help - Have a NAZE that I was attempting to update firmware - failed during the update (sorry can't remember the exact error). Now when I connect via USB, only the Blue LED is lit. Using Baseflight Configurator, I have unchecked Auto-Connect, loaded online firmware - but when I press flash I get: "STM32 - timed out, programming: FAILED". I have tried shorting the boot loader pads and then applying power (via USB), but that does not seem to make any difference.

I have checked the box that says "No reboot sequence"

If I try to connect I get:
10:34:30 -- Serial port successfully opened with ID: 33
10:34:40 -- No configuration received within 10 seconds, communication failed
10:34:40 -- Serial port successfully closed

Wondering if I am not successfully shorting the boot pads, but I thought that the fact that only the blue LED is lit indicates that it should take the firmware update.

Got it figured out - apparently I was not making very good contact when trying to short the boot loader pads. Took me about 10 attempts with a tweezers and then I got it to flash

reig15

Post by reig15 »

Batch1 wrote:
strepto wrote:
KC_703 wrote:Yep... we're on our own for GPS help. With that said, RTH (no climb) and PH work to some degree, many reports that folks have it working. At the very least, it can help you regain line of sight flight.

Use "feature GPS" in the CLI to show the available switch settings in the Aux tab of Baseflight Configurator. I'm using a ublox connected to Ch3&4 with PPM and telemetry. While I haven't experimented extensively with RTH and PH, the GPS coordinates are passed to the Taranis and logged as Decimal Degrees.

Yep - we're definitely on our own :)

I have used GPS for FPV failsafe both successfully (as a test) and spectacularly unsuccessfully (as a test and also as a not-a-test) :).

PH and RTH do work, after a fashion, if you're in stabilised mode. In acro, for me, RTH rapidly became RTG (ground) ;) I'm not even sure what the throttle/altitude does in RTH mode - I haven't tested it enough. I suspect it is decoupled from the GPS naviating stuff though, so bear that in mind.

I agree that a basic PH or RTH would be very beneficial as an FPV safety net. GPS isn't just useful to let DJI n00bs hover around - it is a real way of safeguarding a whole bunch of expensive gear against loss or damage while doing "real" flying. But TC has made his position clear from the start so we have to respect that (his general attitude is another matter of course but I've always been polite to him and have found him helpful in return). And, unlike certain other "open" projects, the source is truly open and everyone is welcome to work on GPS code if they have the skill and time.

Anyway getting back to the GPS thing. Yes you can use it, no it is not user-friendly, and you also can't use it in conjunction with serial receivers (eg spectrum, sbus). You can use it with PWM or PPM input, and the latest builds do an ok job of holding position using the default pids. You wouldn't use it to lock your position for AP work but for the example of someone else blasting your video signal it would be handy to just let you "hold" up in the sky until your screams for them to switch off are actioned.

And if you bind it to a failsafe, make sure you also bind your flight modes appropriately too. Think of it this way: GPS should never be relied on, on any platform - it is a safety net that might or might not catch you.

Since we cannot link failsafe to RTH and RTH is not reliable why buy FunFly Controller "Naze 32"

Robert

I Think You need a Naza Lite+GPS if you are looking for RTH or hold position.

reig15

Post by reig15 »

Gaijin

Post by Gaijin »

Can someone confirm what I already suspect, the AfroMini without the magnetometer will not support any GPS functions e.g rth and pos hold in multicopter usage even though it will in theory work with the hardware or will it just reduce performance?

I have no issues with GPS functionality in baseflight, in my 2 plus years of usage with a naze32 its always been perfectly functional but I'd like to use a smaller AfroMini in a 250 sized fpv quad and a basic rth would be handy.

Batch1

Post by Batch1 »

Yep - we're definitely on our own :)

I have used GPS for FPV failsafe both successfully (as a test) and spectacularly unsuccessfully (as a test and also as a not-a-test) :).

PH and RTH do work, after a fashion, if you're in stabilised mode. In acro, for me, RTH rapidly became RTG (ground) ;) I'm not even sure what the throttle/altitude does in RTH mode - I haven't tested it enough. I suspect it is decoupled from the GPS naviating stuff though, so bear that in mind.

I agree that a basic PH or RTH would be very beneficial as an FPV safety net. GPS isn't just useful to let DJI n00bs hover around - it is a real way of safeguarding a whole bunch of expensive gear against loss or damage while doing "real" flying. But TC has made his position clear from the start so we have to respect that (his general attitude is another matter of course but I've always been polite to him and have found him helpful in return). And, unlike certain other "open" projects, the source is truly open and everyone is welcome to work on GPS code if they have the skill and time.

Anyway getting back to the GPS thing. Yes you can use it, no it is not user-friendly, and you also can't use it in conjunction with serial receivers (eg spectrum, sbus). You can use it with PWM or PPM input, and the latest builds do an ok job of holding position using the default pids. You wouldn't use it to lock your position for AP work but for the example of someone else blasting your video signal it would be handy to just let you "hold" up in the sky until your screams for them to switch off are actioned.

And if you bind it to a failsafe, make sure you also bind your flight modes appropriately too. Think of it this way: GPS should never be relied on, on any platform - it is a safety net that might or might not catch you.[/quote]

Since we cannot link failsafe to RTH and RTH is not reliable why buy FunFly Controller "Naze 32"

Robert[/quote]
I Think You need a Naza Lite+GPS if you are looking for RTH or hold position.[/quote]

Thanks reig15

For your information, there is more than Naza and Naze FC for multirotors.

Few examples

In the same price range of the FunFly Controller Naze32 look at this one : http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=go ... oductname=, it has the best sensor, all the input output you can dream, can run more than Multiwii software, bluetooth and GPS at same time.

If you want RTH, PH (Loiter). Mission, etc... the best of the best at this price range : http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/flight ... 5-287.html plus lots of information and support. That's the result of a team working on it, that's why they can fully support it

Don't forget my question at the beginning, why people buy Funfly controller ?

ps : I have bought an ACRO Naze32 which has a good reputation as an ACRO fc that's it. I received the board with 2rows headers only that you have to cut in 4 pieces for the motors headers (3rows) and no wiring. All the FC I have bought had the wiring and headers you need.

Robert

timecop

Post by timecop »

ps : I have bought an ACRO Naze32 which has a good reputation as an ACRO fc that's it. I received the board with 2rows headers only that you have to cut in 4 pieces for the motors headers (3rows) and no wiring. All the FC I have bought had the wiring and headers you need.

You received exactly what you paid for - RC breakout cable is optional, and most people who fly these with a PPM receive have absolutely no need for it. So why send something that majority of users don't need? This is why you get to choose, and pay less, to receive without a cable. All the headers for selected type (straight or right angle) are included. Yes, you have to cut them. Again, I'm not going to sit there and cut 100s of them a day. I could, but then I'll be selling acro at double the price. I hope that's oK with you.

Sorry, but unlike the shit you link from rctimer that's stamped out by thousands per day by underage workers in China, there's actually only ONE person who makes the acronaze32 you bought, and its taking up majority of my day to day life, which I'm not exactly happy about, either. So if you have a problem with the fact that my time isn't worthless, do feel free to take your business elsewhere.

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

If you are so unhappy... quit Timecop.

Nobody here is twisting your arm or forcing you to do what you do.

Just stop. Stop today, go on vacation.

dont come back.

ummagawd

Post by ummagawd »

So I have an interesting story. First off... all of my rigs have an acro naze. I love the board. So i'm posting this because I'm trying to figure out what happened.

I updated my rev4 to whatever was available online on 5/22/14. I go through 3 batteries. On the 4th battery, I gave it full throttle for a few seconds and it just locked out on me. My mini went straight for the moon. The mini H was only 10m away when this happened. Through some miracle, the mini H shows up on my doorstep 2 days later... (thats another story). I do some troubleshooting and it looks like the board isn't recognizing the PPM signal. I tried reflashing FW, reflow solder on the PPM connection.. but nothing. The red led stays lit on the board. I switched out another acro naze rev4 white board and this recognizes my PPM signal no issues.

What would cause a board to stop recognizing the PPM?

kilby

Post by kilby »

ummagawd wrote:So I have an interesting story. First off... all of my rigs have an acro naze. I love the board. So i'm posting this because I'm trying to figure out what happened.

I updated my rev4 to whatever was available online on 5/22/14. I go through 3 batteries. On the 4th battery, I gave it full throttle for a few seconds and it just locked out on me. My mini went straight for the moon. The mini H was only 10m away when this happened.

Just to say that something similar happened to me last Wednesday except I didn't get my Teslaquad back, and in my case the quad was around 20 feet away, and hovering at about 2 metres up, it just went up (and forwards) and ignored any input (dropped the throttle pretty low, no joy so dropped it completely with no effect)

As I can't do a post mortem my suspicion is with the Orange RX that I was using, but I will blame myself in the end as I had not bound the RX with failsafe values (as it was my first test flight)

I should have bound it with a zero throttle value as I would rather fix it than lose it)

kilby

Post by kilby »

subaru4wd wrote:If you are so unhappy... quit Timecop.

dont come back.

forgive me second post on this board (though I have been lurking for ages)

Perhaps timecop is simply tired of people whining because they can't be bothered engaging either their brains.

I have noticed that if you bring a sensible query along and you get answered, short and to the point, but bring a pointless whinge and you get told to be quiet.

Don't go for a Naze if you want all the fluff, the hint is in the names Acro & Funfly

Though a version of the Acro with a barometer might be nice, it's not the point of the Acro controller

Biffa

Post by Biffa »

dont come back.

Dickwad... :roll:

timecop

Post by timecop »

Probably related to fucked up firmware that caused lockups with PWM receivers during late april/may development versions. I *think* I fixed this stuff - still testing w/a few people - for now current 'online' firmware has been rolled back to a known working version (April 6th or so).

Biffa

Post by Biffa »

Just like to say, no issues with my board, fantastic bit of kit.

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

dont come back.

I disagree. I have no problems with timecops business model. The price of the boards is cheap enough to justify a little end user effort regarding cabling and chopping header pins up. And the build quality is noticeably better than I've seen elsewhere.

I think he just needs a bit more bold red type on his page before you get to click 'buy it now' to make it clear it's not designed for totally new fliers that need their hand holding the whole way through - it's for people that enjoy a bit of tinkering. Maybe include a few links to the KK2 boards on hobbyking via his website to offload the difficult customers who don't like using CLI's that way :lol:

It might also benefit from a more comprehensive manual. Anyone feel like writing one (or got a link to one already written?). Maybe he should include a link to mokka boys hour long setup video on his website - that would put a few people off;

http://youtu.be/rj6IXA2hDW0

I can pay less than £20 for an acro naze and get something that lets me fly acro FPV, add a decent OSD and everthing else i could possibly need for a few more quid for one of my mini quads. I find it hard to complain about that. I would be quite unhappy if it became impossible to buy new Naze32s. I hope timecop carries on doing what he's doing. But maybe he will need to outsource manufacturing at some point to cope with demand which seems risky. Or raise his prices :(

I have noticed that if you bring a sensible query along and you get answered, short and to the point, but bring a pointless whinge and you get told to be quiet.

Sometimes it can be quite amusing to read the responses other people get but i have also found that if you include enough detail and make it clear you've put some effort in yourself to resolve the problem, you'll usually get an answer off timecop or someone else when you ask a sensible question. He's even taken pity on a few of the silly ones i've asked - just try to keep the signal to noise ratio good enough and you'll be fine. Or post up on the RCgroups thread instead;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1653753

I would not hire timecop to work in customer services unless shooting a remake of faulty towers but i am more than happy to keep buying flight controller hardware and similar from him.

scrat

Post by scrat »

Batch1 wrote:
timecop wrote:
Batch1 wrote:Since we cannot link failsafe to RTH and RTH is not reliable why buy FunFly Controller "Naze 32"
Robert

Nobody is forcing you to buy anything.
Infact, if GPS is what you want, look no further than DJI Phantom Vision V2+, and stay the fuck away from opensource projects.

Timecop I didn't say I want to buy it

I asked why people buy it since it is not very usefull and I have smart answer from people, except you !

Your are a conceited person

Robert

You can link Failsafe to RTH...but if your Rx supports FS. That is it.

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

I saw a mini quad with the latest baseflight available fly away on Sunday. The pilot armed the quad and gave it throttle... it took off and banked to the left and kept flying perfectly level, left, until it struck a rock. The entire time, the pilot had his throttle stick in the DISARM position.

Sounds like you have some kind of flyaway issue timecop.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

TC has a lot going on as a one man operation. Sadly however, he does not allow anyone to help him unless they conform to his standards.

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

subaru4wd wrote:I saw a mini quad with the latest baseflight available fly away on Sunday. The pilot armed the quad and gave it throttle... it took off and banked to the left and kept flying perfectly level, left, until it struck a rock. The entire time, the pilot had his throttle stick in the DISARM position.

Sounds like you have some kind of flyaway issue timecop.

What radio system was he using? What version of the firmware? Was he using the Naze 32 failsafe or the receiver failsafe? Had either been tested?

Lots of possibilities without more info.

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

teslahed wrote:What radio system was he using? What version of the firmware? Was he using the Naze 32 failsafe or the receiver failsafe? Had either been tested?

whatever firmware version the chrome app was set to flash on Sunday. No failsafe is set in Baseflight, this is a mini-quad with no bells or whistles. Only features are PPM, Telem, vbat & Motor Stop.

Pilot was using a Turnigy 9X with Rangelink UHF. Not sure if he had any failsafe on his UHF. Its possible it was radio failure... it was the only conclusion I could come up with at the time. That was until I read what Kilby & Ummagawd wrote.

reig15

Post by reig15 »

timecop wrote:

You received exactly what you paid for - RC breakout cable is optional, and most people who fly these with a PPM receive have absolutely no need for it. So why send something that majority of users don't need? This is why you get to choose, and pay less, to receive without a cable. All the headers for selected type (straight or right angle) are included. Yes, you have to cut them. Again, I'm not going to sit there and cut 100s of them a day. I could, but then I'll be selling acro at double the price. I hope that's oK with you.

Sorry, but unlike the shit you link from rctimer that's stamped out by thousands per day by underage workers in China, there's actually only ONE person who makes the acronaze32 you bought, and its taking up majority of my day to day life, which I'm not exactly happy about, either. So if you have a problem with the fact that my time isn't worthless, do feel free to take your business elsewhere.

My AcroNze32
http://microquadfpv.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/acro.jpg

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

I suppose without an onboard magnetometer there is no risk involved with putting the buzzer right on the board like that?

I like the minimal setup you've gone with. I wonder how many grams of weight you've saved doing it like that?

reig15

Post by reig15 »

It's not only save weight, I like it so clean...

reig15

Post by reig15 »

With full Naze32, better no put the buzzer there....

spredana

Post by spredana »

subaru4wd wrote:
teslahed wrote:What radio system was he using? What version of the firmware? Was he using the Naze 32 failsafe or the receiver failsafe? Had either been tested?

whatever firmware version the chrome app was set to flash on Sunday. No failsafe is set in Baseflight, this is a mini-quad with no bells or whistles. Only features are PPM, Telem, vbat & Motor Stop.

Pilot was using a Turnigy 9X with Rangelink UHF. Not sure if he had any failsafe on his UHF. Its possible it was radio failure... it was the only conclusion I could come up with at the time. That was until I read what Kilby & Ummagawd wrote.

Its happened with my rev5 naze too, using chrome baseflight conf. instead doing a maiden I did a quick test 3 times. reflashing the board and set default on CLI. its just spinning uncontrolable after a while when I play with the stick, turn off TX for failsafe, no response. All I can do was pulled off battery.
So I was lucky its happened on the bench without props, better reflashing with old fw to be safe :)

spredana

Post by spredana »

timecop wrote:Probably related to fucked up firmware that caused lockups with PWM receivers during late april/may development versions. I *think* I fixed this stuff - still testing w/a few people - for now current 'online' firmware has been rolled back to a known working version (April 6th or so).

I feel much better after reading this, thanks tc :)

timecop

Post by timecop »

subaru4wd wrote:

If it was flashed with "Sunday firmware" then it was a radio issue.

Enginerd

Post by Enginerd »

Love the Naze boards, have two Acro Naze and one AfroMini. Anyone know if I can connect a buzzer (one from abusemark or discovery buzzer from hobbyking which hooks up to servo output) to a AfroMini? I'm using AfroMini with servo tilt enabled for quad setup and Spectrum satellite receiver. In my previous setup I ran the buzzer off channel 6 on my lemon ppm Rx. On this build I switched to a sattelite to save couple grams but only have M2 pad and throttle available on fc. Can't figure out if its possible to get either to respond to an Aux switch...manual says the two pads serve as camera servos when servo tilt is enabled which needs to be done to fly a multirotor. Any ideas? I know it will end up in bushes many times during low and fast FPV runs. Thanks for th help, love the boards!

timecop

Post by timecop »

Not possible now, but the new afromini refresh after I run out of current PCBs, I did add a pad for buzzer (it's inverted tho, and you need a transistor/fet to drive it). You could carefully solder something to pin (its the one near 5v/rx/tx/gnd connector, but i don't think it would be very safe unless you are very good at micro soldering.

If you use the discovery buzzer, maybe you can enable servo tilt, assign one of aux switches to "manual" tilt, then connect the buzzer pwm to M1 or M2, so when you flick aux switch to go full tilt/roll on camstab, it will follow same and output needed signal for the buzzer. Of course, this might also have a sideeffect of buzzing while doing flips and stuff, if that's ok with you :)

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

timecop wrote:

You cannot say that with 100% certainty.

timecop

Post by timecop »

I can, because while builds between apr6>may15th or so were fucked, I've rolled back to apr6 firmware for 'online' flasher. I have fixed the issue and confirmed via various testers who specifically had problems with this setup that its no longer showing.

Especially if he was using PPM, then none of the apr>may lockups are even relevant because that input method was not affected (and thus not found quickly , because most users had PPM). As far as I can tell, it only affected people with actual Futaba receivers in PWM mode, which is probably like 0.00x% of entire naze userbase.

Gaijin

Post by Gaijin »

Similar question to the above except using the spare throttle channel for vbat input using a servo tilt on an AfroMini (for multiwii osd current estimating)

Also TC if I can re -ask, will I get any kind of GPS functionality without the magnetometer on the AfroMini or can I add an external sensor say via I2C?

:?:

timecop

Post by timecop »

I thought afromini has ADC pin broken out on top/bottom of the board? Why not use that? There's going to be powermeter/current measurement support very soon - I was just reviewing these updates:
https://github.com/luggi/baseflight/com ... 0c6d4e491a
They just need to be confirmed + tested on hardwarea.

GPS on afromini in fixedwing mode doesn't need mag. You can probably hook something up to i2c pads but that's unsupported and I don't know, sorry.

Gaijin

Post by Gaijin »

Thanks TC, thats perfect and confirms what I thought, at least the GPS will pass through to the osd for speed etc.

What resistors / circuit will I need for the voltage input, could I use a frsky voltage sensor I have leftover?

I assume the standard naze32 mag is connected by I2C and the code would should recognise it, All I need is a break out board with the sensor aligned the same way, I would just buy a new Naze32 but it seems the RCmodelreviews video has shown the world how good this controller is and subsequently cleared everyone out!

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/390705003806?nav=SEARCH

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16671__FrSky_Battery_Voltage_Sensor_FrSky_Telemetry_System_.html

treym

Post by treym »

subaru4wd wrote:
timecop wrote:

You cannot say that with 100% certainty.

hello subaru4wb ,

i can says with 100% certainty that your trying to rant with no reason .. but without much succes .

ps : could you please stop sending me private messages ?

Enginerd

Post by Enginerd »

timecop wrote:Not possible now, but the new afromini refresh after I run out of current PCBs, I did add a pad for buzzer (it's inverted tho, and you need a transistor/fet to drive it). You could carefully solder something to pin (its the one near 5v/rx/tx/gnd connector, but i don't think it would be very safe unless you are very good at micro soldering.

If you use the discovery buzzer, maybe you can enable servo tilt, assign one of aux switches to "manual" tilt, then connect the buzzer pwm to M1 or M2, so when you flick aux switch to go full tilt/roll on camstab, it will follow same and output needed signal for the buzzer. Of course, this might also have a sideeffect of buzzing while doing flips and stuff, if that's ok with you :)

Thanks for the reply, good to know. I think I just need to learn how not to crash in bushes :) or possibly get a locating device but at that point could just go back to lemon ppm with buzzer on channel 6 for an extra 6 grams ( I know, seems silly to worry about 6 grams but the sattelite setup seems to be right on 1500 for mid rc where the lemon moved around every to me I powered on). Just dig performance considering the size and weight of this little guy.

rallie_86

Post by rallie_86 »

Hey guys!
Does any of you know how this board works with the TBS Discovery? Any sugestions on good PIDs for the disco?
Im really sick of the naza and i have heard alot of good thing about the naze 32 acro.

CoolD

Post by CoolD »

@TimeCop are you going to have the naze32 boards in stock this weekend ? been checkin your website every few hours

timecop

Post by timecop »

No, customs didn't like $10k worth of components declared as $100.
So stuff is delayed until midnext week.

41south

Post by 41south »

timecop wrote:No, customs didn't like $10k worth of components declared as $100.
So stuff is delayed until midnext week.

No sense of humour sometimes those folks :D

strips

Post by strips »

I have been unable to use the dedicated telemetry pins on my Naze32.

Following http://www.netraam.eu/nazewiki/pmwiki.php?n=Howto.FrskyTelemetry I can get the softserial option to work.

I have the same problem in Harakiri. The dedicated telemetry does not work.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Works for me. on rev5, use the telemetry pin.
On rev4 and below you'll need to use inverter on the uart signal.

.Joel

Post by .Joel »

Hi all, an issue with my Naze32 Rev5, any help/information to resolve this would be great.

This mini-quad has been flying brilliantly up until today. Whilst in mid-flight the quad decided to do a complete roll twice as it sent itself spiralling out of the air in to the ground. No props broken, nothing missing the flight controller just decided to throw a party of its own. Anyway, on powering it back up the blue light is solid and the red and green light alternate slowly.

I've managed to get it to connect to the base flight "firmware flasher" and tried updating the firmware. I had to short the boot loader pins on boot up to get it to work, and it flashed successfully. On reboot however I still get a solid blue light, with the green and red alternating and base flight can not connect to the board.

Any help appreciated.

fiendie

Post by fiendie »

This usually indicates that there is no gyro on the i2c bus.
Your MPU6050 probably died :/

timecop

Post by timecop »

Yes, sounds like gyro is dead or disconnected, try to reflow it (if you have hotair or something similar), or else it could be just dead.

.Joel

Post by .Joel »

fiendie wrote:This usually indicates that there is no gyro on the i2c bus.
Your MPU6050 probably died :/

Thanks fiendie, appreciate the diagnosis.

timecop wrote:Yes, sounds like gyro is dead or disconnected, try to reflow it (if you have hotair or something similar), or else it could be just dead.

Thanks timecop, i'll try and reflow it.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Maybe of no interest however, there were a bunch of crappy cheap MPU6050 on the market. Had a few failures myself.