10Hz GPS thread

cardboard

Re: 10Hz GPS thread

Post by cardboard »

Check the battery is holding a charge as well. It may be completely unrelated but I bought 2 of these units and one had a dead battery. Caused me all sorts of headaches.

nikosd

Post by nikosd »

This Gps is the same with Rctimer gps ?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... odule.html

only 20.99$

cardboard

Post by cardboard »

I have a couple on the way so well soon see if they preform

albertoLG

Post by albertoLG »

nikosd wrote:This Gps is the same with Rctimer gps ?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... odule.html

only 20.99$

this is the old v1 version

skoubri

Post by skoubri »

Could someone help with MTK3329 which is supplied with HK Multiwii pro (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__26588__MultiWii_PRO_Flight_Controller_w_MTK_GPS_Module.html)board? Which is the best firmware up to now for Multiwii 2.1/2.2? How can i confirm my settings and refresh speed?

Thanks in advance

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

@skoubri
Did you find solution ?

skoubri

Post by skoubri »

no.. just tried a failed update and managed to flash AXN1.30 2389...

haydent

Post by haydent »

skoubri

Post by skoubri »

Thanks... this is what i did before reading your post.. now from mini GPS seems to be setup on 115200 and 10Hz... but is it really supports it as EOSBandi mentioned before?

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Do anyone have any experience with this GPS Unit?

Import GPS Module SIRF3 TTL RS232

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... SS:US:3160

I have seen other listing that stated the Baud Rate is adjustable up to 115200.

enderffx

Post by enderffx »

Hi !
I had success of getting good 10Hz Data with the Neo 6M from HK ($18):
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh ... duct=31135

connected via I2C eBay ($6): (it read "crius" on the board)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111240992823

All this using a Hobbyking MultiWii 328P Flight Controller w/FTDI & DSM2 Port ($27):
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... _Port.html

The i2c was not reacting on FTDI so i reflashed the Bootloader with a USBASP in the arduino.exe
I had to write a different config to the GPS that enabled UBX binary protocol and 10Hz.

(NOTE, i used 38400 on GPS and i2c instead of 115k because the speed makes no sense at this rate and now i could exchange the GPS between my APM board and MultiWii without changes).
THIS is the config file i used (UBX, 10Hz, 38400) from a APM forum:
http://diydrones.com/forum/attachment/d ... %3A1222523
BE AWARE: 38400, most people want you to use 115k on i2c, whyever i dont know. To use THIS file you have to use 38400 in the i2c arduino file you flash instead of the default 115k.
Advantages of 38400:
-less I/O error probability
- 1:1 compatibility with APM boards if you use both, like me...

THEN i had to exchange Tx/Rx for the i2c <--> GPS cable, grrrr !
THEN i had to exchange the i2c SDA / SCL pins for the i2c <---> MutiWii cable
THEN i had to put the i2c "+" pin to +5V on the MultiWii instead of the 3,3V pin on the i2c cable.

With the usual changes in MultiWii.ino (did not use the GPS filter as the i2c is supposed to do this) i have ultrafast and stable lock and get 9-12 satellites in open space.
Fine, if it only werent such a PITA to set the MultiWii PID's for POS Hold where APM did that in 1 cubic meter with stock settings, ARGH !

:-)

I hope that helps someone with similar setup.

Ender

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

Hi,

enderffx wrote:I had to write a different config to the GPS that enabled UBX binary protocol and 10Hz.

I read somewhere UBX GPS are more accurate at 5Hz than 10Hz. maybe an info from EOS
any comment about this ?

Advantages of 38400:
-less I/O error probability

any info about I/O errors probability on AVR UART + UBLOX ?

With the usual changes in MultiWii.ino (did not use the GPS filter as the i2c is supposed to do this) i have ultrafast and stable lock and get 9-12 satellites in open space.

Better settings can really lead to a faster lock ?

enderffx

Post by enderffx »

Hi Alex.
-Accuracy:
I did not try out 5Hz myself but if you look in the APM thread i reference i have a solid belief that guy really maxed out the options.
If i look at the precision in u-center it reaches 0,4m very fast. In my APM Y6 the sat lock is very precise (1 cubic meter even in wind, if there is no wind you can hardly notice ANY drifting at all).

-I/O errors: The faster the speed the more errors you get. Serial lines are in the field since dozens of years and this law never changed.
I do not know if this poses any kind of problem at normal cable length but why not use a lower baud rate if a higher does not have any benefit.
And there is a lot of electrical interference around the Flight Controller. 38400 / 10 / 10 is still 300 Byte per position update which is plenty. If it weren't for the compatibility with my APM craft i would go lower.

-Fast lock:
The Neo 6 M has a LOT of parameters to set.
I do not know which setting was on there from the factory, i can only tell you what i saw:
using ucenter before i applied ANY setting i got only 7 sats and a relock after power cycle took about 5 minutes (first i let it sit there for an hour).
At the very same place (hlf shielded from our roof) it had 10 sats with the above config file and in-flight it alternates between 10 to 12 sats.

Greetings,

Ender

Ddpemberton

Post by Ddpemberton »

enderffx

Post by enderffx »

Looks good together. Dont rely on the GPS or the i2c board to have the right settings / firmware installed ! So better have the needed info and stuff at hand to reprogram or reconfigure stuff.
That can save you a lot of tears :-)
And the gps board & i2c pinouts are very often labelled wrong (Rx <--> Tx and SCL <--> SDA).
I saw cheaper combinations of GPS & i2c bought separately adding up to $20

Like this & that (german ebay links but ftom HK, should go to the US or elsewhere as well):
http://www.ebay.de/itm/390698327390?ssP ... 1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.de/itm/CRIUS-MultiWii-M ... 19e67ad839

Greetings,

Ender
Last edited by enderffx on Fri May 09, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ddpemberton

Post by Ddpemberton »

Ender,

Thanks! That German stuff looks good! It looks like you posted the same auction twice though. Could you post the GPS antenna two? How hard is it to reprogram? I have standard ASP, FTDI, and USB direct 4 pin tools. Is there anything else special I would need, or would one of those be able to communicate? You've already been a huge help, but I don't know my way around GPS nav module firmware. Could you point toward the name and place of the firmware I should use? I'll try to take it from there.

enderffx

Post by enderffx »

Hi !

woops, i corrected the link !
Your tools should be fine !
The GPS nav code for i2c boards is universal and then i used ublix config file for the gps.

Greetings,

Ender

P.S. just look at my posts a few lines above what i did to make things work...

Ddpemberton

Post by Ddpemberton »

Doh! Thanks for redirecting me to what was right in front of me! -10 points for me.

I actually have one of these: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... odule.html

So.....if I'm understanding this right, I might be able to get mediocre to acceptable results pairing that GPS with an i2c board, but it might work (I've one person told me yay and one person tell me nay. Still don't get all the details, but I guess if I can get ublox on there then it should be good....maybe?)

Oh the things I'll go through to save a couple bucks....why do I do this to myself?

enderffx

Post by enderffx »

Hi !
I just dont know what chipset that GPS uses and if it is configurable in a way to deliver usable data to the i2c board.
You are going to habe to invest (and may spoil) a lot of time to find out.
Dont get me wrong, i am the same type of guy:
I buy the cheapest stuff and fail a lot of times but when i manage to get the same result as the expensive stuff after a LOT of tinkering i am happy as a puppy.
So in total i spend nearly as much and invest more time but i like the tinkering a lot and i learn very much...

That said: good luck but i would go for the $10 NEO gps in this case OR dissect and analyse your GPS beforehand to make sure it can deliver what the i2c nav wants...

Ender

P.S. you dont need ublox, you can use nmea or others if you change that in the i2c nav sketch and flash that...

kasperghost

Post by kasperghost »

hello guys,
I wanted to ask some questions if someone has done it already.

I have the GY-GPS6MV2 board with ublox-NEO-6m-0-001 module on it, according to the datasheet from ublox the module also has lines for I2C and USB bus except uart.
actually the idea I got from the nav hacks of EOSBandi pdf.

1) I was wondering if I could connect two cables to the module's SDA/SCL lines and use it under I2C from the arduino. Do I have to use pullups in this case? Please note I have already connected there an I2C breakout board(GY-88 (MPU6050, HMC5883L , BMP085) 5v) for sensors and the arduino board I use is the Arduino pro mini 5v.

2) the second scenario i was thinking was to use a second arduino pro mini and put on it, the ublox breakout through uart AND the I2C sensors thus offloading the fusions(sensors+GPS calculations) to a second arduino and connect to first arduino with I2C. first arduino as master, second arduino as slave.
Has anyone managed to do something similar? If yes how I would tell multiwii on first arduino to stop doing the fusions and just accept the data from second arduino?
So as to have on first arduino communication with GCS and navigational calculations and on second arduino sensors+GPS calculations.
In first arduino I have also connected the 3dr radios for telemetry(thus already populating the 1 uart), the 4 motors and a 6ch PWM receiver.

thanx in advance for the help
Simon

Ddpemberton

Post by Ddpemberton »

Vaattari wrote:
brettwal wrote:
dramida wrote:Upgraded GPS Ublox Neo 6M from RCtimer with EEprom. From now on, the settings won't be lost anymore. http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=go ... oductname=

It also has a larger 25x25 antenna. I ordered one last week. We'll see how it behaves.

Got my Ublox Neo 6M from RCtimer with EEprom working after tweaking the new I2C GPS code made by EOSBandi: http://code.google.com/p/i2c-gps-nav/downloads/list

For some reason the UBlox initialization needed to be reversed i.e. first send the Ublox configuration (hex stuff) using 9600baud and after that changed the baud rate to 115200. Hopefully this does the same trick as EOSBandi's original init :|
If I first change the baud rate 9600-->11500 the GPS does nothing with the Ublox config (hex stuff). :?:
The command to change the baud rate to 115200 in EOSBandi code did not work so I needed to change that as well. I do not know why the format is different with my RCTimer GPS so better not to troll here. You can see the correct message format with u-center UBlox messages when you send the baud change message to GPS.

Also I noticed that I could not save all of the configuration into the GPS EEprom. For example baud rate was always 9600 after power off/on. NMEA will be enabled after power off/on.. :roll:

Can anyone help how to save all the config data into the EEprom permanently? U-center messages are tried. Maybe a custom message is needed??

I had the same issue with having to flash first at 9600 then move to 115200. In the version of u-center I was using there was a check box right before flashing to save to memory. It was on my wife's pc since I have a mac and couldn't find any OSX software, and I don't have it in front of me now, but I remember it didn't say save to EEPROM, so at first I didn't select it, but then I re-read and realized it was saying the same thing, checked it and vuala....or however you spell that.

However.....this is my first GPS and now I'm having a problem. Took me a little bit to realize I needed to switch the SCL and SDA lines that came wired into the harness that came with the GPS. With that fixed, I'm getting a GPS fix and coordinates in my MW GUI. My problem is that as long as the GPS is plugged in all of my sensors are wonky. Either hypersensitive or the weirdest is the head value that just jumps all around. I get a weird blip on my AUX 2 value too. I'm sure the details are not so relevant, but anywho, why would my GPS be interfering with my sensors?

I'm running a MW 328p on MW2.3. Which means I had to solder header pins into the blanks labeled GND/3.3/SCL/SDA (I know the GPS calls for 5V, but my experience has been 5V components typically work just fine on 3.3V pins). The GPS and NAV board seem to be fine since I'm getting solid fix verification and coordinates in the GUI (Another evidence that the 3.3V is doing just fine). What on earth am I missing?

Ddpemberton

Post by Ddpemberton »

I just plugged it in again and noticed that my I2C errors are going nuts too. I know I've seen mention of things about that in posts around the webertubes, but I can't remember what that means and/or how to fix it. So the next leg of the search begins....if anyone wants to cut that search short....please feel free!!!!!!!!!!!!

One thing, I've read that 115200 isn't the best baud rate for some boards, but I don't know how to change it in the firmware I've uploaded. I know how to tell my GUI to communicate at a different baud, but I don't know how to change the baud inside the code.

brewski

Post by brewski »

Hi Guys,
I have a Ublox Neo 6M V3 (with eeprom & rechargeable lithium battery). I have Crius AIOP V2 FC and running the standard 38,400baud & 5hz that came with this HK $20 combined receiver/ceramic patch antenna. Has anyone done some actual comparison in Pos Hold accuracy between this latest Neo 6m running 5Hz and 10Hz?
I would be very interested in some actual testing under same conditions. My quad will Pos Hold within 1.5m horiz with light (5km/hr) wind but if switching to 10hz will improve this I am willing to try :geek:

brewski

Post by brewski »

repost
Last edited by brewski on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scrat

Post by scrat »

I think with 10Hz...there will be no improvement. This GPS doesn't support 10Hz refresh rate.

kopinke

Post by kopinke »

There are a lot of post which describe how to configure the GPS with u-blox center software (like rate 10Hz).
I think when using for examle ublox 6M this seems to overwritten:
In the source file GPS.cpp the configuration will be send in UBX protocol and rate is hardcoded 5Hz.
I'm wondering why?

Arakon

Post by Arakon »

The 6m can't do 10Hz. If you set it to 10Hz, it just sends the same position twice.

kopinke

Post by kopinke »

Yes that is true for 6m- I've read that in another thread.
But maybe ublox 8m or 6h can handle 10Hz.
So I seems that configuration in u-center is useless?

Arakon

Post by Arakon »

Exporting the config in u-center and pasting the contents into gps.cpp might work there.

kopinke

Post by kopinke »

Hi Arakon,
good idea, but it needs some tweaking and every time at least one flash...
I will give it a try ^^

Best regards,
kopinke

Arakon

Post by Arakon »

I just got my Neo 7M module today (just the ublox chip, replaced it directly on my 6M gps board and it works flawlessly). However, I got the same issue now.. I can't figure out how to edit the preset data in gps.cpp. Ideas/Documentation would be nice.

Edit: I just commented the 5hz line out and it seems to update faster now.. Can EOSBandi confirm please that disabling a config line will make the GPS fall back to the settings in u-center?

Spotter6

Post by Spotter6 »

I'm new on this board, lurking for awhile.

I've been trying 10hz rate with my GPS module that is part of Skylark OSD, but U-center has that option grey'd out. So from what you guys are saying, that module won't do 10hz.

Which modules on market CAN do 10hz, if re flashed ?

brewski

Post by brewski »

APM use 4HZ with Ublox 7 & 6M and accuracy on good days is usually within 1.5m horizontal. Not bad when specs for these modules quote 2.5m.
It is not the update rate that determines accuracy unless you are travelling at >100Km/hr , but the fix you are getting from the constantly changing satellite signal strengths which are affected by solar Xray & gamma radiation as well as microwave transmissions. I only use 38,400baud connection as this has best compromise between update & errors with serial transmission using 8 bit MCU.
If you use Ezi-GUI on your smartphone or tablet you can see before arming what possible disruption you can expect from these solar effects under GPS data. This info is derived from up to date NASA data & very reliable. When Solar activity is high I always check home position on EZI-GUI map & if wandering more than 3-5 metres do not use any GPS function when flying unless in a large open field. Since doing this (as well as ensuring at least 8 satellite lock, which can take up to 5 minutes after power on) I have not had any flyaways or uncontrolled crashes, only a couple which I caused showing off :lol:

loknar28

Post by loknar28 »

@Brewski......So you have EZGUI working over Bluetooth? Are you using an iPhone by chance. I have tried to get my Mac and my iPhone 6 to detect a C2540 BLE module that I plugged into the 3.3v power of the I2C bus on my controller. I assume as long as the voltages are correct the module shpmd be advertising itself even if serial communication is not setup yet. Do you know anything about this?

Cereal_Killer

Post by Cereal_Killer »

Loknar, I had a hell of a time getting my iphone (5C) to recognize BLE for the first time (I'm running an HM-10 BLE module). It works great now but initially it wouldnt see the module, what I had to do was download a BLE scanner app (I used the free "BLE Scanner"). After running it and connecting to the HM-10 once (and then disconnecting) iOS could then see it and I've never had a problem (nor needed to run BLE scanner) again since.

Edit: For some reason the forum told me that was a new post, you've probably got it figured out since Feb lol.