Raspberry PI as the ultimate navigation computer

copterrichie

Re: Raspberry PI as the ultimate navigation computer

Post by copterrichie »

Just a small update and a huge step towards HD FVP. :mrgreen:

In this test, I have the video resolution set to 1280 x 720p to see how much latency there is when compared to an analog video transmission.

polarisman30060

Post by polarisman30060 »

Copterrichie, I have a similar project except I am using a beaglebone black. It receives flight controls through the serial port via my open lrs with modified code to spit out the servo commands on the serial port. The bone then processes that and other data and spits out msp commands to the MW. I'm going to use open cv to process images from a downward facing camera to do position hold when you are hands off on the sticks. My goal is to make my MW as easy to fly as my ar drone because the ar drone is a toy that can not be flown in even a slight breeze. Awesome machine, but still a toy.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Testing the Tablet Wifi Connection to the WiiPiCopter, there are no advanced features at this stage with only channel 1-4 enabled. Will be adding trim tabs and control buttons later, in its present stage, it will allow me to continue working on the copter itself.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Thank you ezio and Theelectronicguy, version II with both virtual Joysticks active simultaneously coming soon. ;)

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

In this test, I have the HD video feed and the telemetry data enabled. The data is being sent to an Android Tablet and the Video to another Raspberry Pi connected to a 10" monitor. There much more latency than I had hoped for but later testing revealed, that is do to I had the data stream being transferred via my local private network verse an separate adhoc network with only the Raspberry Pi's and Android simulating as it would be connected in the field.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

A few steps closer to having an HD Video Copter. In this test, it shows minor latency issues that I believe to me related to network errors. I have allowed this test to run for some four hours and this error only occurred a few times. Not focusing upon the negative here but pointing, there is much work remaining before the first maiden. Will work to resolve this at a later date, for now, will let it remain as is but will retest this when I have these devices configured on an ad-hoc network.