Baseflight aka multiwii port to stm32

brm

Re: Baseflight aka multiwii port to stm32

Post by brm »

this must be true love.

if debugging and testing is the process to remove bugs, then writing software
must be the process creating them :mrgreen:

no time for testing and bug catching - we are up in the mountains.
happy new year to all ...

frog32

Post by frog32 »

i tested this new build, if i try set gps_baudrate=-1 (autodetect) the cli crashes. i am not getting any response from the naze32. if i try the correct baudrate it works just fine as timecop said

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Does anyone know if "throttle mid" in baseflight chrome app GUI does anything at all even when throttle expo is at 0.0 ,
As according to the graph it seems to do nothing.
I am wondering as Im trying to improve my quads hovering to not go up and down so much.

Am i just adjusting it for no reason at ll if I like to have no throttle expo.

if unsure what i meen some one please adjust it and see what im talking about

Cheers :)

scrat

Post by scrat »

Hi. I need some info regarding ALT HOLD in latest baseflight firmware.

I can't tune good alt hold with my quad. I have I set to 0 and P to 5.0 and D to 40. For about 30 sec it holds alt very good, but then quad starts the yo-yo effect. I have baro covered with foam and my fc is in the box.
How you have set alt hold pids?

And could someone explain me what are these values means:

accxy_deadband = 40
accz_deadband = 40
acc_trim_pitch = 0
acc_trim_roll = 0
baro_tab_size = 21
baro_noise_lpf = 0.600
baro_cf_vel = 0.995
baro_cf_alt = 0.950

Thanks.

IceWind

Post by IceWind »

Hey,

Is there any option to connect an external led switch to the board?
The manual has no reference to this and checking in the code LEDMAX, LLIGHTS and so on seems to be there only for compatibility
with the serial protocol.

The switch is one of those from HK so it needs a PWM input to control it. I'm using a FrSky RX (4chn) in PPM mode so there
is no way for me to plug the switch directly to the RX.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Why not use gimbal_flags to forward aux1-4.. to RC5..8 and then hookup a switch to one of those? Then you can control it from the transmitter...

IceWind

Post by IceWind »

I saw the outputs for the gimbal but can I control it?
I thought they moved "automagically" according to the ACC readings.
(never had to use or configure a gimbal)

I'll check that out. Thanks.

timecop

Post by timecop »

the variable name is part of servo control stuff, but one of the bits is to set direct forward. So aux channels 1 to 4 become like standard receiver outputs (in addition to being processed in standard mwii loop as switches/etc)

IceWind

Post by IceWind »

Thanks TC.
So I set gimbal_flags to 2 to get the AUX forwarding enabled. But when testing doesn't seem to work.
I plugged a servo signal to the RC5 to test and when I do that it just starts going nuts.
I later tried on other RC's like 6 and 7. On RC7 the input signal is 1500 so I would expect the servo to center.

Any idea what I might be missing?

scrat

Post by scrat »

Just for info...yesterday I have tested (in garage) the latest baseflight hex from git. ALT HOLD works now almost prefect. At default settings. Quad is in + - 20 cm :) I'm happy camper now.

But I saw on git that there exist new VEL_PID's for baro, but I can't tune them in chrome configurator.

crazyal

Post by crazyal »

scrat wrote:Just for info...yesterday I have tested (in garage) the latest baseflight hex from git. ALT HOLD works now almost prefect. At default settings. Quad is in + - 20 cm :) I'm happy camper now.

But I saw on git that there exist new VEL_PID's for baro, but I can't tune them in chrome configurator.
scrat wrote:Just for info...yesterday I have tested (in garage) the latest baseflight hex from git. ALT HOLD works now almost prefect. At default settings. Quad is in + - 20 cm :) I'm happy camper now.

I'm happy to hear that my stuff finally works for someone else than me :)
Right, the VEL_PIDs are only in the development version of cTns Baseflight-Configurator as they were "dead code" and I added the patch just recently.
It seems like no current GUI supports the VEL_PID. You can use the patched Version I have on my github https://github.com/luggi/baseflight-configurator or use the devopment version which only works with Chrome Beta.

scrat

Post by scrat »

Thanks man. I think you nailed this alt hold. But I can say I have set acc_lpf_factor to 50. I hope GPS POSh will work the same sometimes ;)

What about VEL_PID settings in CLI?

IceWind

Post by IceWind »

IceWind wrote:Thanks TC.
So I set gimbal_flags to 2 to get the AUX forwarding enabled. But when testing doesn't seem to work.
I plugged a servo signal to the RC5 to test and when I do that it just starts going nuts.
I later tried on other RC's like 6 and 7. On RC7 the input signal is 1500 so I would expect the servo to center.

Any idea what I might be missing?

What is going on is that I should be ashamed of reading incorrectly a bit shift operation.

set gimbal_flags = 4 and it's working. :)

timecop

Post by timecop »

^_^ cool

Plüschi

Post by Plüschi »

Attached the Graupner SUMD receiver code i have been testing recently.

Connections to NAZE is Gnd, 5V and serial input pin #4

Edit: now its a real patch :)
Attachments
sumd.zip
(1.4 KiB) Downloaded 192 times

rortega

Post by rortega »

crazyal wrote:I'm happy to hear that my stuff finally works for someone else than me :)
Right, the VEL_PIDs are only in the development version of cTns Baseflight-Configurator as they were "dead code" and I added the patch just recently.
It seems like no current GUI supports the VEL_PID. You can use the patched Version I have on my github https://github.com/luggi/baseflight-configurator or use the devopment version which only works with Chrome Beta.

It works great, I've just tested in a windy day and the results are awesome. :)

timecop

Post by timecop »

Plüschi wrote:Attached the Graupner SUMD receiver code i have been testing recently.

Connections to NAZE is Gnd, 5V and serial input pin #4

Edit: now its a real patch :)

placing if () on same line doesn't make it faster.
FYI.

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

Hi, not that I give a damn shit about Graupner RC in any way but TC while you are at it you can add graupner sumh support as well to your BF, done by "Copterwerkstatt" here: https://github.com/Crashpilot1000/SGTod ... pnersumh.c . Should be mainly a copy/paste job based on plüschies/cescos commit. I wonder how many sum protocols Graupner has.... maybe that Graupner stuff is complete then? Just saying...

timecop

Post by timecop »

that code, holy shit.

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

FYI: There is Graupner sumH(copterwerkstatt) and sumD(cesco) - the codes are not very far apart but....

Plüschi

Post by Plüschi »

timecop wrote:
Plüschi wrote:placing if () on same line doesn't make it faster.

LOL. Yes :)
Thanks for picking that up. I was astonished to find it in github already:)

As i hear from the experts on a german forum graupner has ditched SUMH and new revisions do have only SumD. The protocols are the same anyway, except for the checksum. Since i dont check the checksum anyway its a non issue.
Checksum on RF path makes sense, but on a hardwired 10cm link? Not really.

My acronaze copter flies exceptionally well with it.
Last edited by Plüschi on Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Do you ever look through your .map file after you build your copypasted mess? You should try it sometime.

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

Have you ever developed anything on your own in your copypasted mess?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Yep, have you?

Plüschi

Post by Plüschi »

The sumd / sumh code is originally for tarduino by ernieift here:
http://fpv-community.de/showthread.php? ... f-ProMicro
He has a much more complicated version for taulabs including checksum verification.
I did just adapt the simple version to variable length messages and made it fit in.

I forgot about this :oops:, but i think ernieift deserves to be credited somewhere in the sumd source.

fiendie

Post by fiendie »

Crashpilot1000 wrote:Have you ever developed anything on your own in your copypasted mess?

I guess I am not the only one noticing the glaring irony in that statement?

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

Be precise.

cGiesen

Baseflight aka multiwii port to stm32

Post by cGiesen »

By the way SUMH is not longer supported by Graupner

QuadsDestroyer

Post by QuadsDestroyer »

Hi,

Can somebody explain to me why motor_pwm_rate is limited to 500Hz in baseflight when the AfroEscs by the same author than baseflight (i.e. timecop) are boosting a refresh rate of up to 1khz ?!?

thanks

timecop

Post by timecop »

1) at 1kHz your usable resolution would be less
2) it does support up to 32kHz but above 500Hz it goes into direct brushed mode (this is ~week old change in current firmware).

QuadsDestroyer

Post by QuadsDestroyer »

Timecop,
Would you be capable to make baseflight compatible with the OneShot output method developed by Felix Nielssen (ronco) as implemented in the UltraESC-FlyduinoNanoWii combo?
The method is schematised here Image
Warthox, the reference in multicopter sport flying, describes its benefits in terms of performance at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=42.
You can find the practical implementation of the method in the file Output.ino within http://ultraesc.de/downloads/MWC21Nano_v099.zip

If you could do this it would be brilliant and clearly make the Naze the best FC available.
Also it would save me from switching from Afro Naze to Nanowii...

Thank you very much

timecop

Post by timecop »

Did you even BOTHER searching the thread?
This horse has been beaten to death, there's zero improvement, and no I'm not going to do it, it makes no sense. Thank you.

brm

Post by brm »

QuadsDestroyer wrote:Timecop,
Would you be capable to make baseflight compatible with the OneShot output method developed by Felix Nielssen (ronco) as implemented in the UltraESC-FlyduinoNanoWii combo?
The method is schematised here Image
Warthox, the reference in multicopter sport flying, describes its benefits in terms of performance at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=42.
You can find the practical implementation of the method in the file Output.ino within http://ultraesc.de/downloads/MWC21Nano_v099.zip

If you could do this it would be brilliant and clearly make the Naze the best FC available.
Also it would save me from switching from Afro Naze to Nanowii...

Thank you very much

the salesmen warthox has described it very positive.
both chips have hw pwm - you cannot destroy the current pwm frame.
thus the new signal is active with a new cycle.

and as usual .. there is jitter on the the time axis...

buy an acro naze and figure it out.

QuadsDestroyer

Post by QuadsDestroyer »

timecop: yes I did and just found one person asking you after which you refused without more explanation than just saying there's no improvement...
However, could you develop the reasoning behind which OneShot doesn't bring anything? Videos and testimonies say the opposite though...Especially for 3d enabled ESCs...
If it has really been extensively covered in this thread, then let me know and I will look again...
Cheers
brm: are you saying that what ronco claims to have achieved is impossible because of the hw pwm on both chips and that he is basically lying?!?

hinkel

Post by hinkel »

Hi !
Does anyone know why the "pidBaseflight" have been removed from master branch to the newpid branch ?

crazyal

Post by crazyal »

Simply because it didn't work as well as hoped. I never really got the default pids tuned right and timecop didn't like the float pid factors, because they don't blend in nicely with the 8-bit defaults. If you like playing around with beta stuff, give it a shot and we might find some values that work "magically" :)

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

@QuadsDestroyer: Well, you could enable the alternative PID controller (uses delta T) and set the looptime to 1ms (1000) - I think it's setable in baseflight. In that case you can be sure that even a 500Hz ESC has always fresh data. If it's an improvement? - You will have to ask/trust in the guys with Flyduino branding on their underwear.
Cheers Rob

hinkel

Post by hinkel »

crazyal wrote:Simply because it didn't work as well as hoped. I never really got the default pids tuned right and timecop didn't like the float pid factors, because they don't blend in nicely with the 8-bit defaults. If you like playing around with beta stuff, give it a shot and we might find some values that work "magically" :)

Thanks for the answer, it was just mysterious for me, I have not tried this PidBaseflight, but I play with the mwii and Alex.k Pidcontroller from Harakiri and they are fine. So I have some stupid idea to let running both and mix the result with a tuneable coef factor for exemple :
60% mwiipid and 40%Pidrewrite(Alex.k) .
But i am not programmer and it is certainly not a good Idea because i dont know if it is possible to do it so, also you need to tune both PID controller with differents values separately and there is no garantie of better result . Eventually someone is more about to do this or to say that is stupid idea ?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Crashpilot1000 wrote:You will have to ask/trust in the guys with Flyduino branding on their underwear.
Cheers Rob

I lol'd

QuadsDestroyer wrote:timecop: yes I did and just found one person asking you after which you refused without more explanation than just saying there's no improvement...
However, could you develop the reasoning behind which OneShot doesn't bring anything? Videos and testimonies say the opposite though...Especially for 3d enabled ESCs...
If it has really been extensively covered in this thread, then let me know and I will look again...
Cheers
brm: are you saying that what ronco claims to have achieved is impossible because of the hw pwm on both chips and that he is basically lying?!?

Yes, because it needs no further explanation as there's no improvement.
Just the fact that they're selling a "OMG ULTRA NANOWII BUNDLE" should give you a hint that its nothing but a marketing scam.

Plüschi

Post by Plüschi »

QuadsDestroyer wrote:Warthox describes its benefits in terms of performance at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=42.

Guy complains the esc cycle and the mwii cycle are not synced. There is a variable delay of 0 to 2ms. True. But there is also a variable delay of 0 to 20ms because in mwii rc input and rc processing are NOT sync.

But there is hope. Baseflight. Set looptime to 2.5ms and leave esc rate 400hz and your cycle and esc are synced. Can you feel the difference?

Lets do a reality check:

The highest sensor lowpass is 250hz. With the tarduino mwii averaging we get down to 125hz (averaging IS a lowpass). The fastest the FC will react to movement is 1000ms/125 = 8ms.

Guy talks about crisp reactions. The RC transmitter needs 20ms for reading ADC and to mix it up and then at least 20ms over the air time. The receiver needs another 20ms to assemble the stuff and send it to the FC. Then mwii averages it over 4 cycles, which adds 40ms delay. Before the FC starts the calculations there is already a summed up 100ms delay.

The 2ms delay doesent matter at all. I call the "feeling a 2ms delay difference" and "crisp" complete BS.

QuadsDestroyer

Post by QuadsDestroyer »

Thank you for the enlightening explanations everyone. I am seeing clearer through this marketing fog now ;-)

ronco

Post by ronco »

Plüschi wrote:
QuadsDestroyer wrote:Warthox describes its benefits in terms of performance at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=42.

Guy complains the esc cycle and the mwii cycle are not synced. There is a variable delay of 0 to 2ms. True. But there is also a variable delay of 0 to 20ms because in mwii rc input and rc processing are NOT sync.

But there is hope. Baseflight. Set looptime to 2.5ms and leave esc rate 400hz and your cycle and esc are synced. Can you feel the difference?

Lets do a reality check:

The highest sensor lowpass is 250hz. With the tarduino mwii averaging we get down to 125hz (averaging IS a lowpass). The fastest the FC will react to movement is 1000ms/125 = 8ms.

Guy talks about crisp reactions. The RC transmitter needs 20ms for reading ADC and to mix it up and then at least 20ms over the air time. The receiver needs another 20ms to assemble the stuff and send it to the FC. Then mwii averages it over 4 cycles, which adds 40ms delay. Before the FC starts the calculations there is already a summed up 100ms delay.

The 2ms delay doesent matter at all. I call the "feeling a 2ms delay difference" and "crisp" complete BS.

well so why dont you use 125Hz PWM refrash rate? and for what are loop times faster then 8ms good? -.-

its right, the RX signas dont come faster with oneshot pwm ;) but the PID function likes fast response.. the faster the loop is closed, the less error's are there.
for just hovering arround you wont note a difference, but for fast load changes (f.e. fast flips) it will wobble less which also means that you have more thrust in this situations..
but it also depends on the used motors and the RPM ..

another advantage of it is that you can use any compare of the timers for lower frequencys (digital or analog servos) with just skipping some of the loops.

i made some tests with the stm32f103 .. here is some code i made i dont tested it much but it seems to work..

Code: Select all

static uint16_t PWMValues[8] = {1000,1000,1000,1000,1000,1000,1000,1000}; 
static uint8_t   PWM_type[8] = {1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1}; // 0= oneshot125 (125-250us), 1= oneshot 1-2ms with ~450Hz, 2= 1-2ms at ~225Hz(DServo), 3 =  1-2ms at ~56Hz(AServo)

void setup_PWM_OUT(){
   /* PWM Output Pins:
   PWM1 ->TIM 3 CH1 -> A6
   PWM2 ->TIM 3 CH2 -> A7
   PWM3 ->TIM 3 CH3 -> B0
   PWM4 ->TIM 3 CH4 -> B1   
   PWM5 -> TIM 2 CH1 -> PA0
   PWM6 -> TIM 2 CH2 -> PA1
   PWM7 ->TIM 4 CH3 -> B8
   PWM8 ->TIM 4 CH4 -> B9
   */
   //oneshot 125 = 1007 - 2014 (125-250us);
   //450Hz = 8056 - 16112 (1000-2000us)

//GPIO settings ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   GPIO_InitTypeDef gpioinitTIM;
   gpioinitTIM.GPIO_Mode = GPIO_Mode_AF_PP;
   gpioinitTIM.GPIO_Speed = GPIO_Speed_50MHz;

//GPIOA
   gpioinitTIM.GPIO_Pin = GPIO_Pin_0 | GPIO_Pin_1 | GPIO_Pin_6 | GPIO_Pin_7;
   GPIO_Init(GPIOA, &gpioinitTIM);
   //GPIOB
   gpioinitTIM.GPIO_Pin = GPIO_Pin_0 | GPIO_Pin_1 | GPIO_Pin_8 | GPIO_Pin_9;
   GPIO_Init(GPIOB, &gpioinitTIM);

//TIMER 2, 3 & 4 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   //timer base config
   TIM_TimeBaseInitTypeDef timerbaseinit;
   timerbaseinit.TIM_Prescaler = 8;
   timerbaseinit.TIM_CounterMode = TIM_CounterMode_Up;
   timerbaseinit.TIM_Period = 0xFFFF;
   timerbaseinit.TIM_ClockDivision = 0;
   timerbaseinit.TIM_RepetitionCounter = 0;

TIM_TimeBaseInit(TIM3, &timerbaseinit);
   TIM_TimeBaseInit(TIM2, &timerbaseinit);
   TIM_TimeBaseInit(TIM4, &timerbaseinit);

// channel base config
   TIM_OCInitTypeDef channelbaseconf;
   channelbaseconf.TIM_OCMode = TIM_OCMode_PWM2;
   channelbaseconf.TIM_OutputState = TIM_OutputState_Enable;
   channelbaseconf.TIM_Pulse = 8056; // 1ms basic output
   channelbaseconf.TIM_OCPolarity = TIM_OCPolarity_Low;

TIM_OC1Init(TIM3, &channelbaseconf);
   TIM_OC2Init(TIM3, &channelbaseconf);
   TIM_OC3Init(TIM3, &channelbaseconf);
   TIM_OC4Init(TIM3, &channelbaseconf);

TIM_OC1Init(TIM2, &channelbaseconf);
   TIM_OC2Init(TIM2, &channelbaseconf);   

TIM_OC3Init(TIM4, &channelbaseconf);
   TIM_OC4Init(TIM4, &channelbaseconf);

//start timers ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

// enable Tim3
   TIM_CtrlPWMOutputs(TIM3, ENABLE);
   TIM_Cmd(TIM3, ENABLE);

// enable Tim2
   TIM_CtrlPWMOutputs(TIM2, ENABLE);
   TIM_Cmd(TIM2, ENABLE);

// enable Tim4
   TIM_CtrlPWMOutputs(TIM4, ENABLE);
   TIM_Cmd(TIM4, ENABLE); 

}

//assumes a cycletime of minmum 1111us

void writePWMOutputs(){
   static uint8_t skipCounter      = 0; // skips one loop for 450Hz for 1-2ms
   static uint8_t stretchCounter = 0; // stretches the pulse to 225 or 56Hz for servos
   static uint8_t refresh_compare[3] = {0,0,0};
   uint8_t drive_fast[3] = {1,1,1};
   uint16_t usePWMValues[8];
   uint8_t i;

// calculate the needed duty values for the timer channels and check if 900Hz for one are possible
   for(i = 0;i< 8; i++){
      if(PWM_type[i] != 0){
         usePWMValues[i] = constrain((PWMValues[i]*8056)/1000,8056,16112);
         if(i < 3) drive_fast[0] = 0;
         if(i > 3 && i < 5) drive_fast[1] = 0;
         if(i > 5) drive_fast[2] = 0;
      }else{
         usePWMValues[i] = constrain((PWMValues[i]*1007)/1000,1007,2014);
      }
   }

// if there is one 1-2ms signal needed at one of the timer groupes, skip one reload to have at last 2055us time
   if(!(drive_fast[0] == 0 && skipCounter != 0)){
      uint16_t TIM3_actCounter = TIM_GetCounter(TIM3);
      if((TIM3_actCounter > 2020 && drive_fast[0] == 1) || TIM3_actCounter > 16200){ // protect the signal from reload before the compare values are reached
         TIM_Cmd(TIM3, DISABLE);
         TIM_SetCounter(TIM3, 0xFFFF);
         refresh_compare[0] = 1;
      }else refresh_compare[0] = 0;
        }else refresh_compare[0] = 0;
   if(!(drive_fast[1] == 0 && skipCounter != 0)){
      uint16_t TIM2_actCounter = TIM_GetCounter(TIM2);
      if((TIM2_actCounter > 2020 && drive_fast[0] == 1) || TIM2_actCounter > 16200){   
         TIM_Cmd(TIM2, DISABLE);
         TIM_SetCounter(TIM2, 0xFFFF);
         refresh_compare[1] = 1;
      }else refresh_compare[1] = 0;
   }else refresh_compare[1] = 0;
   if(!(drive_fast[2] == 0 && skipCounter != 0)){
      uint16_t TIM4_actCounter = TIM_GetCounter(TIM4);
      if((TIM4_actCounter > 2020 && drive_fast[0] == 1) || TIM4_actCounter > 16200){         
         TIM_Cmd(TIM4, DISABLE);
         TIM_SetCounter(TIM4, 0xFFFF);
         refresh_compare[2] = 1;
      }else refresh_compare[2] = 0;
   }else refresh_compare[2] = 0;

// stretch the low time to the needed frequency
   if(refresh_compare[0]){
      if(PWM_type[0] < 2 || (PWM_type[0] == 2 && stretchCounter % 2) || (PWM_type[0] == 3 && stretchCounter == 7)) TIM_SetCompare1(TIM3, usePWMValues[0]);
      else TIM_SetCompare1(TIM3, 0);
      if(PWM_type[1] < 2 || (PWM_type[1] == 2 && stretchCounter % 2) || (PWM_type[1] == 3 && stretchCounter == 7)) TIM_SetCompare2(TIM3, usePWMValues[1]);
      else TIM_SetCompare2(TIM3, 0);
      if(PWM_type[2] < 2 || (PWM_type[2] == 2 && stretchCounter % 2) || (PWM_type[2] == 3 && stretchCounter == 7)) TIM_SetCompare3(TIM3, usePWMValues[2]);
      else TIM_SetCompare3(TIM3, 0);
      if(PWM_type[3] < 2 || (PWM_type[3] == 2 && stretchCounter % 2) || (PWM_type[3] == 3 && stretchCounter == 7)) TIM_SetCompare4(TIM3, usePWMValues[3]);
      else TIM_SetCompare4(TIM3, 0);
   }
   if(refresh_compare[1]){
      if(PWM_type[4] < 2 || (PWM_type[4] == 2 && stretchCounter % 2) || (PWM_type[4] == 3 && stretchCounter == 7)) TIM_SetCompare1(TIM2, usePWMValues[4]);
      else TIM_SetCompare1(TIM2, 0);
      if(PWM_type[5] < 2 || (PWM_type[5] == 2 && stretchCounter % 2) || (PWM_type[5] == 3 && stretchCounter == 7)) TIM_SetCompare2(TIM2, usePWMValues[5]);
      else TIM_SetCompare2(TIM2, 0);
   }
   if(refresh_compare[2]){
      if(PWM_type[6] < 2 || (PWM_type[6] == 2 && stretchCounter % 2) || (PWM_type[6] == 3 && stretchCounter == 7)) TIM_SetCompare3(TIM4, usePWMValues[6]);
      else TIM_SetCompare3(TIM4, 0);
      if(PWM_type[7] < 2 || (PWM_type[7] == 2 && stretchCounter % 2) || (PWM_type[7] == 3 && stretchCounter == 7)) TIM_SetCompare4(TIM4, usePWMValues[7]);
      else TIM_SetCompare4(TIM4, 0);
   }

// re enable the timers
   TIM_Cmd(TIM3, ENABLE);
   TIM_Cmd(TIM2, ENABLE);
   TIM_Cmd(TIM4, ENABLE);

if(++skipCounter == 2){
      skipCounter = 0;
      if(++stretchCounter == 8) stretchCounter = 0;
   }
}

it may be not pin compatible with the naze ..

regards

Felix

timecop

Post by timecop »

That code is so dumb you should just remove it from the forum before someone gets hurt.

Plüschi

Post by Plüschi »

Starting a pwm pulse after a calculation loop with variable execution times gives me shivers. Is that what this one-shot thing does?

Instead lets use the rock stable and easy adjustable 16bit pwm timer to start the loop calculation. Each timer overrun sets a flag to start main loop calculations. Synced pwm and mainloop, stable, simple, good :)

Ok, 328 and 32u4 tarduinos with 8bit / 10bit timers cant do it ....

Edit:
I have tested it on a tarduino 2560. Checking the TIFR3 register TOV3 flag to sync the main loop. Doesent even need an interrupt. Simple & works. Now i am a STM32 noob, what would be the simple way to check and reset one of the pwm generating timers overflow flag?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Plüschi wrote:Starting a pwm pulse after a calculation loop with variable execution times gives me shivers. Is that what this one-shot thing does?

Right, exactly. FAIL.

Instead lets use the rock stable and easy adjustable 16bit pwm timer to start the loop calculation. Each timer overrun sets a flag to start main loop calculations. Synced pwm and mainloop, stable, simple, good :)

Ok, 328 and 32u4 tarduinos with 8bit / 10bit timers cant do it ....

Edit:
I have tested it on a tarduino 2560. Checking the TIFR3 register TOV3 flag to sync the main loop. Doesent even need an interrupt. Simple & works. Now i am a STM32 noob, what would be the simple way to check and reset one of the pwm generating timers overflow flag?

maybe add a TIM4_IRQHandler(), set TIM_IT_Update on TIM4, then set some flag/whatever in interrupt handler that you wait on. but uh, why even bother..

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

hinkel wrote:
crazyal wrote:Simply because it didn't work as well as hoped. I never really got the default pids tuned right and timecop didn't like the float pid factors, because they don't blend in nicely with the 8-bit defaults. If you like playing around with beta stuff, give it a shot and we might find some values that work "magically" :)

Thanks for the answer, it was just mysterious for me, I have not tried this PidBaseflight, but I play with the mwii and Alex.k Pidcontroller from Harakiri and they are fine. So I have some stupid idea to let running both and mix the result with a tuneable coef factor for exemple :
60% mwiipid and 40%Pidrewrite(Alex.k) .
But i am not programmer and it is certainly not a good Idea because i dont know if it is possible to do it so, also you need to tune both PID controller with differents values separately and there is no garantie of better result . Eventually someone is more about to do this or to say that is stupid idea ?

What you have in mind is basically possible but you will end up with twice the PID parameters. Don't know if that's really worth it. The last days I did some work on the pidcontrollers as well and tried out the mwii2.3 yaw algo. Due to weather I can mostly do benchtesting but it seems to be an improvement. I enabled that for both pid controllers (mwii2.2 and alexK) and doubled the scaled the alexK "D". Hmm I think with proper scaling and "I" limits the alexK could replace the orig mwii but still include the mwii2.3 yaw code. The code is in my really messed up github "JustTestCode" for now in mw.c maybe you can have a look as well if it's any good. Not sure since it's unflown, NOTE: the GPS ins is not expected to work in that because there were changes that need rescaling parameters (not done due to weather).
Just posting the altered main Pid stuff here, hopefully nobody gets hurt looking at this.

Code: Select all

MwiiTimescale = FLOATcycleTime * 3.3333333e-4f;
        dT            = FLOATcycleTime * 0.000001f;
        RCfactor      = dT / (MainDptCut + dT);                                 // used for pt1 element
        prop          = (float)min(max(abs(rcCommand[PITCH]), abs(rcCommand[ROLL])), 500);
        for (axis = 0; axis < 3; axis++)
        {
            if (axis == YAW)                                                    // We use mwii 2.3 YAW for both pid controllers
            {
                tmp0  = (int16_t)(((int32_t)rcCommand[axis] * (2 * (int32_t)cfg.yawRate + 30)) >> 5);
                error = (float)tmp0 - gyroData[axis];
                if (abs(tmp0) > 50)
                {
                    ITerm            = 0.0f;
                    errorGyroI[axis] = 0.0f;
                }
                else
                {
                    errorGyroI[axis] += (error * (float)cfg.I8[axis] * MwiiTimescale) * 0.001f;
                    errorGyroI[axis]  = constrain(errorGyroI[axis], -268370.0f, 268370.0f);
                    ITerm             = (float)constrain(errorGyroI[axis] * 0.1221f , -250.0f, 250.0f);
                }
                PTerm = (error * (float)cfg.P8[axis]) * 0.015625f;
                if(NumberOfMotors > 3)                                          // Constrain YAW by D value if not servo driven in that case servolimits apply
                {
                    tmp0flt = 300.0f;
                    if(cfg.D8[axis]) tmp0flt -= (float)cfg.D8[axis];
                    PTerm   = constrain(PTerm, -tmp0flt, +tmp0flt);
                }
                axisPID[axis] =  PTerm + ITerm;
            }
            else
            {
                rcCommandAxis = (float)rcCommand[axis];                         // Calculate common values for pid controllers
                if ((f.ANGLE_MODE || f.HORIZON_MODE))
                {
                    error = constrain(2.0f * rcCommandAxis + GPS_angle[axis], -500.0f, +500.0f) - angle[axis] + cfg.angleTrim[axis];
                }
                switch (cfg.mainpidctrl)
                {
                case 0:
                    if (f.ANGLE_MODE || f.HORIZON_MODE)
                    {
                        PTermACC           = error * (float)cfg.P8[PIDLEVEL] * 0.007813f;
                        tmp0flt            = (float)cfg.D8[PIDLEVEL] * 5.0f;
                        PTermACC           = constrain(PTermACC, -tmp0flt, +tmp0flt);
                        errorAngleI[axis] += error * MwiiTimescale * 0.01f;
                        errorAngleI[axis]  = constrain(errorAngleI[axis], -100.0f, +100.0f);
                        ITermACC           = (errorAngleI[axis] * (float)cfg.I8[PIDLEVEL]) * 0.002441f; // Scaled down by 10
                    }
                    if (!f.ANGLE_MODE)
                    {
                        error             = (rcCommandAxis * 64.0f / (float)cfg.P8[axis]) - gyroData[axis];
                        errorGyroI[axis] += error * MwiiTimescale * 0.01f;
                        errorGyroI[axis]  = constrain(errorGyroI[axis], -160.0f, +160.0f);
                        if (abs((int16_t)gyroData[axis]) > 640) errorGyroI[axis] = 0.0f;
                        ITermGYRO         = (errorGyroI[axis] * (float)cfg.I8[axis]) * 0.012207f;
                        PTermGYRO         = rcCommandAxis;
                        if (f.HORIZON_MODE)
                        {
                            tmp0flt = 500.0f - prop;
                            PTerm   = (PTermACC * tmp0flt + PTermGYRO * prop) * 0.002;
                            ITerm   = (ITermACC * tmp0flt + ITermGYRO * prop) * 0.002;
                        }
                        else
                        {
                            PTerm = PTermGYRO;
                            ITerm = ITermGYRO;
                        }
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        PTerm = PTermACC;
                        ITerm = ITermACC;
                    }
                    PTerm           -= (gyroData[axis] * dynP8[axis] * 0.0125f);
                    delta            = (gyroData[axis] - lastGyro[axis]) / MwiiTimescale;
                    lastGyro[axis]   = gyroData[axis];
                    lastDTerm[axis] += RCfactor * (delta - lastDTerm[axis]);
                    axisPID[axis]    = PTerm + ITerm - (lastDTerm[axis] * dynD8[axis] * 0.09375f);
                    break;
// Alternative Controller by alex.khoroshko http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3671&start=30#p37465
// But a little modified...
                case 1:                                                         // 1 = New mwii controller (float pimped + pt1element)
                    if (!f.ANGLE_MODE)                                          // control is GYRO based (ACRO and HORIZON - direct sticks control is applied to rate PID
                    {
                        tmp0flt = (float)(((int32_t)(cfg.rollPitchRate + 27) * (int32_t)rcCommand[axis]) >> 4);
                        if (f.HORIZON_MODE) tmp0flt += ((float)cfg.I8[PIDLEVEL] * error) * 0.039063f;
                    }
                    else tmp0flt      = ((float)cfg.P8[PIDLEVEL] * error) * 0.022321f;
                    tmp0flt          -= gyroData[axis];
                    PTerm             = (float)cfg.P8[axis] * tmp0flt * 0.007813f;
                    errorGyroI[axis] += (float)cfg.I8[axis] * tmp0flt * dT * 4.883f;
                    errorGyroI[axis]  = constrain(errorGyroI[axis], -20972.0f, 20972.0f);
                    ITerm             = errorGyroI[axis] * 0.01221f;
                    delta             = ((tmp0flt - lastGyro[axis]) * 0.01638f) / dT;
                    lastGyro[axis]    = tmp0flt;
                    lastDTerm[axis]  += RCfactor * (delta - lastDTerm[axis]);
                    axisPID[axis]     = PTerm + ITerm + (((float)cfg.D8[axis] * lastDTerm[axis]) * 0.023438f); // D scaled up by 2
                    break;
                }                                                               // End of Switch
            }
            axisPID[axis] = (float)((int32_t)(axisPID[axis] + 0.5f));           // Round up result.
        }

Cheers
Rob

mj666

Post by mj666 »

@timecop

I have seen you read my post regarding the SFR02 Sonar update for Harakiri. I would also contribute this updates also to Basefligth. How do you like this to be integrated in the code. The existing Sonar code looks to be not build for multiple sensors yet? Do you like to have a separate set of source files like drv_sfrxx.c and drv_sfrxx.h. I think there are many dependences which require updated in some other source files like cli.c, sensor.c, etc. My understanding from reading the forum you have some more strict rules for updates on Baseflight in mind. Please advice.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Hiya,

I dislike the current method of sonar code stealing a motor pin (or needing 3V/5V shifting), and rev5 has a 5V-tolerant pin for this purpose on PA15 (bottom of the board, on the "GPIO/FT" pin). It would be nice if sonar code can be updated to use that.

Also, how much different could sonar stuff really be? If properly implemented it could probably be all fit into the same file and drv_hcsr04 renamed to drv_sonar or something.

edit: I see that junk needs 2 pins anyway, so I guess it has to be stealing something else one way or another.

mj666

Post by mj666 »

This is why I was looking fro an affordable i2c based sonar sensor. I found the SRF02 and there are a few more from the same vendor which are more or less compatible from the protocol. The SRF02 can measuring directly in cm and is auto calibrating for temperature. The transmission to the FC is completely digital no additional conversions to PWM are needed. I think the updated code can also take the new pin assignment into account. Having a single driver for sonar sounds good. Harakiri is already going into this direction but there is also still more room for improvements. I.e. keep all hardware dependent staff in the driver file and have single set of function calls from the outside for all sonar function. Also the cli still need have some dependences about the underlying hardware. You need to configure the different types of the sonar sensors or they need to be completely autodetected in the driver.
Last edited by mj666 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mj666

Post by mj666 »

The SRFxx sonar sensor support for Harakiri is finished and published in the FPV-Treff Forum. There is also a Series of MaxBotix I2C (I2CXL series) sonar sensors wich should be easy to implement (but more expensive).

BTW: The MaxBotix MB1300 PWM sensor needs only a single pin. It can be wired to Trigger automaticaly.