Multiwii repository

Wipo

Multiwii repository

Post by Wipo »

Hi,

I have a HK nanowii board for a while, but I never really dug into the MW forum/comminity because I also have an arducopter board and I'm spending more time on there website. But currently I'm working on a small indoor quad with that nanowii board and it's for several day's now that I'm reading on th MW website/wiki/forum.

Reading al lot about the MW project gives me the idea that MW is much more opensource minded then the arducopter project from DIY. But MW lacks the community that DIY has.

So you might notice in the next few days or weeks that I will post all my personal ideas. Please note that these are just some ideas it's not a comment on how MW should do it. If you think my idea is stupid don't shoot me :)

my first idea: The multiwii repository or the multirotor reposistory.
- A website that provides a large database of user multirotors. Be it a homemade or RTF as long as it runs on multiwii :)
- Users can add there multirotor to this database. Specifications, image links, video links, howto links, ...
- Users can search for multirotors via a specification filter (frame type, prop size, fc board, ...)
- Users can sent comments or ask questions about a users multirotor

e.g.1: I'm a multiwii user and visiting the MW website at a frequent base where I see a set of the last added multiwii multirotors. I notice that one has a gas engine attached to it. WOW! So I just comment to that multirotor on how he managed to do this and that user can reply to me, ....

e.g.2: I want to build a Y6 with a total weight of < 2kg. But I would like to get some ideas on what types of landing gears other users have mounted. So I search for multirotor with specs frame type Y6 and < 2kg. I then got a huge list of multirotors that I can checkout and see what type of landing gear other users have on there y6.

e.g.3: I have a seeeduino 1280 board and want to use it to make a quad. To get ideas I go to the multirotor repository I specify FCboard: seeeduino 1280 frametype quad X and then I got again a list of multirotors matching these specs. If I see a nice project of another user I'll be able to send a question to that user.

I know that when a users has a question or needs support he can always come to this forum to ask his question. But forum topics can become large and difficult to search. Or questions can remain unanswered because that one users that knows the answer has not seen the topic. So the multirotor repository is an extra feature to enlarge the MW community and it can be used to give and get support between users.

I understand that the main goal of the multiwii project is creating a opensource FC software. So I would also understand that the MW developers would not have the time for this kind of stuff, but others might have and when the MW communitity grows others might join. Another thing is that it should really be integrated in the root of multiwii website to let this repository work. So a registered multiwii user should have access to the forum, wiki and repository with the same account.

Hamburger

Re: Multiwii repository

Post by Hamburger »

Ok. You could simply start that MWii database and see how it goes. Announcing and linking from here and some other highly frequented sites should do for starters. Go for it to find out.

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

Wipo wrote:So I would also understand that the MW developers would not have the time for this kind of stuff, but others might have and when the MW communitity grows others might join.

you got it :) it's a question of time

Another thing is that it should really be integrated in the root of multiwii website to let this repository work. So a registered multiwii user should have access to the forum, wiki and repository with the same account.

here comes the second problem: do you realize how complicated it would be to fusion wordpress account + wiki account + phpbb account ?

sismeiro

Post by sismeiro »

Wipo wrote:my first idea: The multiwii repository or the multirotor reposistory.
- A website that provides a large database of user multirotors. Be it a homemade or RTF as long as it runs on multiwii :)
- Users can add there multirotor to this database. Specifications, image links, video links, howto links, ...
- Users can search for multirotors via a specification filter (frame type, prop size, fc board, ...)
- Users can sent comments or ask questions about a users multirotor

Hi,

We don't need to always reinvent the wheel, we can use some "tools" that are already in place like the site http://www.multicopterclub.com/. I think it already answers most of your suggestions if not all.

Regards,
Luis Sismeiro

Wipo

Post by Wipo »

hmm nice. First time I see that website.

http://www.multicopterclub.com/ looks to be stand alone platform. They will have to create their own community to make it a succesfull website.

Users will not come to that website or join that community only to view Multirotors. Off course some will, but the magority not. Most multirotor users are already member of a community. Most often the community that is linked to the flight controller they have. That community provides features like providing software, providing documentation/wiki, providing support/forum. So if multirotorclub.com would be linked and integrated in the MW community then MW offers there users a extra feature. MW users will benefit from that feature and it's more likely that that feature will then be used much more than in this stand-alone version. As a feature it will profit from the MW community to grow in a fast way and the MW platform will also profit from that feature to gain more publicity.

But that is just my opinion.

Wipo

Post by Wipo »

Hi,

I have created a website (multiwii portal) where I'm trying to introduce some ideas.

The site is made with drupal 7. The site is not a final product it is just a concept to some ideas.

The goal was to make compatibility tables and connection diagrams for all kinds of subjects and make everything 100% dynamic via sql.
Add an object in one place and it's shown automatically at all corresponding table overviews.
A Mwii aircraft repository is also present but currently it's limited in specifications.
The site does not use local created accounts. Users can just login with there social media account. Currently only google is enabled.
Because it's drupal we can add a lot of stuff to it even a phpbb forum could be integrated, so no need for an extra forum account.

have a look at www.multiwii.be
(constructive feedback is always appreciated)

Wipo

Post by Wipo »

Hi,

As from now you can follow the MultiWii Portal website on Facebook & Twitter.

All new multirotors, drones, airplaines or helis that you and others add to our RC aircraft repository are automatically posted to our Facebook or Twitter page.

Check it out!
https://www.facebook.com/MultiWiiPortal
https://twitter.com/multiwiiportal

And don't forget to share your RC aircraft with the rest of the world:
http://www.multiwii.be/