One hot ESC

PonoBill

One hot ESC

Post by PonoBill »

My quadcopter works well and flies fine (still a lot to learn) but one of the ESC's gets hot. Everything else runs cool. I've gone through the process os syncing the ESCs, and they seem fine. Is it possible that one ESC is acting as the BEC and thereby getting a higher load? I have a BEC, but haven't used it, I planned to use it to power my groundstation monitor.

Peter

Re: One hot ESC

Post by Peter »

I once had that problem with a motor with a bad bearing. Does the moror keep cool?
Can you swap 2 motors to see if then the other esc gets hot?

PonoBill

Post by PonoBill »

I should have mentioned that the esc gets hot even when the throttle is set to zero and there's no activity.

doughboy

One hot ESC

Post by doughboy »

Is the BEC completely disconnected? If not then it is most likely shorted.

zidlov

Post by zidlov »

Noticed the same problem on my newly buil quad. As it's a dex frame, the heat issue special anyway, but one of the escs got so hot that part of the shrink tubing melted. Now this is the only esc that has the bec connected to the the 5v pin of the fcb, and as it's a linear bec I assume it's somehow normal behaviour. Maybe I'm drawing a bit too much with a bt board and the frsky receiver attached. Already ordered a ubec and hope the issue will be gone then.

natael

One hot ESC

Post by natael »

Hi,
I have a similar problem with one esc getting much hotter than the other ones.
ESCs are HK blueseries 12A, that i flashed with Simonk.
Anyone having these ESCs had that problem ? I haven't tried to exchange ESC with another arm/motor to pinpoint the source of the problem, but i'd like your opinion, and will do more tests in the meantime.
I've read in another post that some ESC can burn with Simonk firmware.

Any hint ?

scrat

Post by scrat »

ESC will not burn with simonk fw. Try to swap motor and check.

natael

Post by natael »

That did not solve the pb, in addition, i removed this esc + motor and left the other two plugged in. Then one of the remaining esc is getting as hot, with motor cold.

Another thing, everything is cold when the servo cables of the esc aren't plugged in.

This doesn't make sense at all.

Any idea ?

EDIT : I removed this second esc + motor. Now the only left one is getting very hot as well. So, whatever happens, it's always one esc getting hot (with motor cold), and only with servo cables plugged in.

EDIT : There's no "flight" problem. It behaves just like with other motors+esc, fly very stable.

scrat

Post by scrat »

This is not good. Maybe your flight controller is having a problem?

natael

One hot ESC

Post by natael »

scrat wrote:This is not good. Maybe your flight controller is having a problem?

Nope... It works fine with another set of different esc-motors. No excessive heat.

dezeubby

Post by dezeubby »

I'm having this problem too ... i have turnigy multistar 30a with simonk and the one with SBEC is connected to power Flight Controller and receiver . That one is more hotter than others .

It is normal that the esc with sbec to be hot .

natael

Post by natael »

I actually have 30A esc, simonk, from RCTimer, with an external bec, no hot esc. Even after flight, temperature is still reasonable.