Naze32 hardware discussion thread

kaysee

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by kaysee »

Scotth72 wrote:Is it possible to get gps and osd working at the same time? I can get the gps working no problem. I can get the minimosd working no problem. I can't get them to work together. If the gps is working, the minimosd just hangs on start up. Is there a serial port issue? Tried both 20131126 and latest firmwares.

I've the same issue once. Naze32 n AcroNaze32 with latest firmware. KVTeam OSD r370 Minim v0.1. First make sure 'PWM RSSI' disabled. If problem still exits. Try disable either 'Display GPS Coords', 'Display Heading', 'Display Heading 360' or all three.

rnelias

Post by rnelias »

Does anyone could help me find what's wrong with my Naze32?

Basically, if I move my sticks up to the end points the according motors stop spinning when I was hoping they should keep some spinning at a different speed to produce the corresponding maneuver. Here goes a movie to help you understand what's happening...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqucSWhIarg

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

Scotth72 wrote:Is it possible to get gps and osd working at the same time? I can get the gps working no problem. I can get the minimosd working no problem. I can't get them to work together. If the gps is working, the minimosd just hangs on start up. Is there a serial port issue? Tried both 20131126 and latest firmwares.

my gps and osd work great together

Scotth72

Post by Scotth72 »

I got it to kind of work on the older kv firmware, but not on r370. Even then, it only sometimes display coordinates. It might be a certain checkbox arrangement to get it to work, but I got tired of dicking with it. I put it on the shelf, as it seems the minimosd also radiates noise in the uhf spectrum. I eagerly await TC's osd.

timecop

Post by timecop »

rnelias wrote:Does anyone could help me find what's wrong with my Naze32?

Basically, if I move my sticks up to the end points the according motors stop spinning when I was hoping they should keep some spinning at a different speed to produce the corresponding maneuver. Here goes a movie to help you understand what's happening...

stop using outdated, buggy configurator software.
Looks like your minthrottle was reset to 0.
Use https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... figk?hl=en
or MultiWIiConfGUI LATEST (2.3 or newer) version.

rnelias

Post by rnelias »

timecop wrote:
rnelias wrote:Does anyone could help me find what's wrong with my Naze32?

stop using outdated, buggy configurator software.
Looks like your minthrottle was reset to 0.
Use https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... figk?hl=en
or MultiWIiConfGUI LATEST (2.3 or newer) version.

minthrottle is set to 1150 and I'm already using Chrome app ;) (however, it only works on Windows for me...)

Here's my CLI:

Code: Select all

Entering CLI Mode, type 'exit' to return, or 'help'

# features
Enabled features: VBAT MOTOR_STOP

# set
Current settings:
looptime = 3500
midrc = 1500
minthrottle = 1150
maxthrottle = 1850
mincommand = 1000
mincheck = 1100
maxcheck = 1900
deadband3d_low = 1406
deadband3d_high = 1514
neutral3d = 1460
deadband3d_throttle = 50
motor_pwm_rate = 400
servo_pwm_rate = 50
retarded_arm = 0
flaps_speed = 0
serial_baudrate = 115200
softserial_baudrate = 19200
softserial_inverted = 0
gps_type = 0
gps_baudrate = 0
serialrx_type = 0
telemetry_softserial = 0
vbatscale = 110
vbatmaxcellvoltage = 43
vbatmincellvoltage = 33
power_adc_channel = 0
align_gyro = 0
align_acc = 0
align_mag = 0
align_board_roll = 0
align_board_pitch = 0
align_board_yaw = 0
yaw_control_direction = 1
acc_hardware = 0
moron_threshold = 32
gyro_lpf = 42
gyro_cmpf_factor = 600
gyro_cmpfm_factor = 250
pid_controller = 0
deadband = 0
yawdeadband = 0
alt_hold_throttle_neutral = 40
alt_hold_fast_change = 1
throttle_angle_correction = 0
rc_rate = 90
rc_expo = 65
thr_mid = 50
thr_expo = 0
roll_pitch_rate = 0
yawrate = 0
failsafe_delay = 10
failsafe_off_delay = 200
failsafe_throttle = 1200
failsafe_detect_threshold = 985
rssi_aux_channel = 0
yaw_direction = 1
tri_unarmed_servo = 1
gimbal_flags = 1
acc_lpf_factor = 4
accxy_deadband = 40
accz_deadband = 40
acc_unarmedcal = 1
acc_trim_pitch = 0
acc_trim_roll = 0
baro_tab_size = 21
baro_noise_lpf =  0.600
baro_cf_vel =  0.995
baro_cf_alt =  0.950
mag_declination = 0
gps_pos_p = 11
gps_pos_i = 0
gps_pos_d = 0
gps_posr_p = 20
gps_posr_i = 8
gps_posr_d = 45
gps_nav_p = 14
gps_nav_i = 20
gps_nav_d = 80
gps_wp_radius = 200
nav_controls_heading = 1
nav_speed_min = 100
nav_speed_max = 300
nav_slew_rate = 30
p_pitch = 40
i_pitch = 30
d_pitch = 23
p_roll = 40
i_roll = 30
d_roll = 23
p_yaw = 85
i_yaw = 45
d_yaw = 0
p_alt = 40
i_alt = 25
d_alt = 60
p_level = 90
i_level = 10
d_level = 100

#

frog32

Post by frog32 »

Then you might want to recalibrate your esc's

rnelias

Post by rnelias »

frog32 wrote:Then you might want to recalibrate your esc's

ok... second person that suggest me to do it. The next obvious question is: how? :lol:

I've watched a bunch of "esc calibration" videos on YouTube. Some related to KK, other related to Multiwii and APM, and the "all-at-once" method using servo extension cables.

Is there any "esc calibration" procedure specifically for Naze32.

I know when this problem started to happen. It was after I've forgotten the board armed and calibrated the TX (Taranis). After that the motors started to behave as the video I posted. Before that, they were spinning normally.

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

there is a way to calibrate via the cli... the hint is "mincommand" but do not even think about trying it unless you have PROPELLERS REMOVED. imho there should be a routine like the multiwii one.. worked for me 100% of the time, but it's a safety decision not to. You could just flash your ESCs with f/w that has the calibration routine removed and fixed 800us range... simonk readme.md goes into that a little.

rnelias

Post by rnelias »

felixrising wrote:there is a way to calibrate via the cli... the hint is "mincommand" but do not even think about trying it unless you have PROPELLERS REMOVED. imho there should be a routine like the multiwii one.. worked for me 100% of the time, but it's a safety decision not to. You could just flash your ESCs with f/w that has the calibration routine removed and fixed 800us range... simonk readme.md goes into that a little.

Thanks for the input. I neither know where my propellers are :lol: . This quad is new and never did a maiden flight. Thus, it's a bench queen yet ;)

These are 30A Afroescs. I also have HK F30 escs here and the tool to flash it but I was avoiding to desolder the esc's to change (they were working finely until I've calibrated my TX with the Naze32 armed :( )

I'm going to try the method using the servo extensions first. If it won't work, next step is going to be using CLI

kaysee

Post by kaysee »

I had a bad crash this morning due to a prop came loose while i am doing a flip. As the result some of the pads for rc channels is gone.
I am using a cppm setup and attaching my gps to the board. I can workout the GND, +5V, Ch1 and Ch3 pad. My problem is with Ch4 pad. I don't know where should I tap the signal.
Attachments
CM131219-035045.jpg

rnelias

Post by rnelias »

rnelias wrote:
felixrising wrote:there is a way to calibrate via the cli... the hint is "mincommand" but do not even think about trying it unless you have PROPELLERS REMOVED. imho there should be a routine like the multiwii one.. worked for me 100% of the time, but it's a safety decision not to. You could just flash your ESCs with f/w that has the calibration routine removed and fixed 800us range... simonk readme.md goes into that a little.

Thanks for the input. I neither know where my propellers are :lol: . This quad is new and never did a maiden flight. Thus, it's a bench queen yet ;)

These are 30A Afroescs. I also have HK F30 escs here and the tool to flash it but I was avoiding to desolder the esc's to change (they were working finely until I've calibrated my TX with the Naze32 armed :( )

I'm going to try the method using the servo extensions first. If it won't work, next step is going to be using CLI

Ok... back to the game!

I did the esc calibration following some YT videos... just made a 4-1 cable using servo extensions and followed this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfTdCVwZYHQ now it's working as expected. ;)

scrat

Post by scrat »

If you have afro esc..then you don't need to calibrate them. Just set in CLI minthrottle=1064 and maxthrottle=1864. That's it.

timecop

Post by timecop »

kaysee wrote:I had a bad crash this morning due to a prop came loose while i am doing a flip. As the result some of the pads for rc channels is gone.
I am using a cppm setup and attaching my gps to the board. I can workout the GND, +5V, Ch1 and Ch3 pad. My problem is with Ch4 pad. I don't know where should I tap the signal.

On the top of the board, bottom right pin of STM32, or any of the red-marked points
http://i.imgur.com/tmaiPaV.png

kaysee

Post by kaysee »

timecop wrote:
kaysee wrote:I had a bad crash this morning due to a prop came loose while i am doing a flip. As the result some of the pads for rc channels is gone.

On the top of the board, bottom right pin of STM32, or any of the red-marked points
http://i.imgur.com/tmaiPaV.png

Thanx TC. Now where is my magnifying glass :shock:

Noc

Post by Noc »

I'm new to the Naze32 boards. I just got my pink regular one not the acro. I've been reading and found a lot of info on these boards. How do I connect my ImmersionRC 5.8GHz VTX to the Naze32 to draw power. I am running with a 5V cam that will be powered off of the VTX. It's getting the power to the VTX from the Naze Im not sure about.

BTW I am using PPM with ImmersionRC ezUHF so I'm only connecting 1 cable to the Naze right now.

rnelias

Post by rnelias »

Noc wrote:I'm new to the Naze32 boards. I just got my pink regular one not the acro. I've been reading and found a lot of info on these boards. How do I connect my ImmersionRC 5.8GHz VTX to the Naze32 to draw power. I am running with a 5V cam that will be powered off of the VTX. It's getting the power to the VTX from the Naze Im not sure about.

BTW I am using PPM with ImmersionRC ezUHF so I'm only connecting 1 cable to the Naze right now.

Your vtx can be powered directly by 2S or 3S battery if you're using one of these voltages ;)

Noc

Post by Noc »

Im actually running 4s.

Noc

Post by Noc »

OK i've figured it out. I don't need the Naze in the picture. I can connect the IRC VTX right to the same 4s powering the Naze. Problem solved.

Scott

Post by Scott »

Like an idiot, I fed ~11vdc into the 5v input on my rev3? (blue) board.
Bought this one in January of this year, and I'm just getting around to using it.

Did I kill it? Or is it just IC1?

edit*
After removing the 3.3 reg, I used a precision supply and put 3.3v where pin 5 is- and it works! :D

Looks like it will be worth the $.12 part and $6 shipping from Digi-key.

Noc

Post by Noc »

ok another question.

I'm using PPM and I have all my ESC's connected to the Naze they are arm and spin up just fine. I now want to connect a hitec HS-65MG servo for a gimbal to move a gopro up and down. Where on the Naze do I plug this servo into? I'm using a futaba 8fg and have the LD knob controlling the AUX4 on the Naze. I want this servo on AUX4.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Have you tried reading the manual?

Noc

Post by Noc »

I did. The reason why I ask such trivial questions is b/c the manual says if you put things in wrong you can destroy the board. This is my second servo the first one burned out luckily the board still works.

I'll shift my ecs's down and try plugging the servo into the S1-2 slots and see what happens.
Last edited by Noc on Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Check out top of page 5 in manual, then.

Noc

Post by Noc »

OK got that servo plugged into S1 and my ECS's plugged two slots lower. I've changed the mode to servo and they motors arm and throttle up just fine. Now the servo in S1 I'm not sure what channel it is on. It does not show up on MWC. If I am understanding correctly I now need to map EATR4123 to be able to assign AUX4 to S1.

timecop

Post by timecop »

No, you don't understand correctly.
In new 2.3+ multwii, gimbal servo tilt is done by the 'servo' tab in multiwiiconf or baseflight configurator.
There you can assign 'center' (for fixed position) for the axis, or a RC channel (to beable to adjust it remotely), which can be any RC channel.\

channel map has nothing to do with which servo is used for what.

Noc

Post by Noc »

OK when I get back in front of the setup I'll have a look. I did see the gimbal section under the servo tab but I could not get the servo to move on any channel. My Futaba 8fg AUX8 is controlling AUX4 on the MWC. Again I'm new to this so bare with me.

mmon77

Post by mmon77 »

Random question...When I plug my AcroNaze32 into USB and fire up the GUI, the compass appears to work. I thought that board did not have a MAG sensor? It's up and flying and I don't need the MAG sensor for anything. I was just wondering.

timecop

Post by timecop »

gyro is used for compass-less headfree mode.

mmon77

Post by mmon77 »

Got it. Thanks. Just seemed weird because it was even reading the correct direction. I guess my work area faces north though, so that's probably why.

Adicakes

Post by Adicakes »

Hi all,

New to Naze32 but slowly getting things together. :) I've got a few questions and thought it'd be an idea post them publicly rather than pester timecop any more during his break.

Firstly, is there a setting way to make the buzzer beep when arming/disarming?

Second, are the positive/negative power lines from the motor pins linked to the positive/negative pins at the RC input header? If so, it seems that the Naze32 can be powered by ESC BEC and forward on power to the RX...but it also seems that you could connect a BEC to the RX and let the Naze32 get power from the input pins. Which method is preferred? I have a separate BEC and trust it more than the ESC's inbuilt BECs.

Also, am I correct in thinking that it's bad to have power coming from the standalone BEC and ESC BECs, if the standalone BEC is a switching type, and the ESC BECs are linear?

Thanks!

A.

scrat

Post by scrat »

Just use ESC BECs. It is enough for naze32. Great thing is that processor is running at 3.3V and not like atmega who runs at 5V.

mmon77

Post by mmon77 »

I thought I read a post somewhere in this thread about a guy using a BEC to test something. He was powering the board through the receiver and ended up frying it. I don't entirely believe that he didn't do something else wrong accidently that killed it, but the end result was toasty.

Any ESC (if it has a BEC) that I've used can supply a minimum of 500ma which should be more than enough for the Naze32 and an RX. Unless you're running big servos off it as well.

elmtree

Post by elmtree »

That was probably me that you're thinking of! I agree, something else must have been wrong, but what it was IDK. and whadya know, I have another problem.

Just got a minimOSD. Flashed it with the newest KV firmware. Got the pins for the RX/TX on the Naze. plugged everything in correctly with RX to TX and TX to RX on the Naze to Minim. Again I used a separate UBEC for testing (which apparently is a bad choice). I didn't have ESCs or receiver attached. The minim is getting 5v from the ESC rail and ground from the ESC rail.

I was powering everything from the receiver 5v/G. I plugged in the Naze and it powered up as well as the minim. I powered up the VTX/camera which were also attached to the minim. video showed up on my monitor, but no osd. Then I smelled the magical smoke! I didn't see any though. I immediately unplugged the Naze and then the TX/camera.

I smelled the minim and the Naze. The smell was definitely from the Naze. I unplugged everything from the Naze and then plugged it into the USB port and opened the configurator. It didn't connect, and then my comp BSOD'd. I restarted and tried again to see if it would happen again.

This time the Naze connected fine and all the sensors worked in the configurator. I looked over the Naze and only saw the previous burn mark that I had seen before from the 5v dying. I smelled around (lol) and it seems strongest from the USB port, or the silabs chip right in front of the usb port. I then tried reconnecting the UBEC to power it from the receiver port. It wouldn't turn on. Tested the USB again and it still worked. Then I tried powering from the ESC rails. It worked from there. I then checked for 5v continuity and the 5v lines are still connected. I then checked the ground between the receiver pins and the ESC pins. There is no connection there. I also tested the ground to the USB port and the VBAT in and they are all connected.

Is the receiver ground supposed to be disconnected from everything else? or is that what I smoked? What's the best course of action?

Sorry about the incompetence, I guess powering the Naze from the receiver port is a BAD idea.

raulmd

Post by raulmd »

Adicakes wrote:Hi all,

New to Naze32 but slowly getting things together. :) I've got a few questions and thought it'd be an idea post them publicly rather than pester timecop any more during his break.

Firstly, is there a setting way to make the buzzer beep when arming/disarming?

Second, are the positive/negative power lines from the motor pins linked to the positive/negative pins at the RC input header? If so, it seems that the Naze32 can be powered by ESC BEC and forward on power to the RX...but it also seems that you could connect a BEC to the RX and let the Naze32 get power from the input pins. Which method is preferred? I have a separate BEC and trust it more than the ESC's inbuilt BECs.

Also, am I correct in thinking that it's bad to have power coming from the standalone BEC and ESC BECs, if the standalone BEC is a switching type, and the ESC BECs are linear?

Thanks!

A.

You can use the BEC inside the ESC to power the board, but experienced guys recomend using an external BEC

scrat wrote:Just use ESC BECs. It is enough for naze32. Great thing is that processor is running at 3.3V and not like atmega who runs at 5V.

Your argument is invalid (oh, I wanted to say that :roll: ) keep in mind that the board is using some LDO regulators, so 3.3V is not a big benefit in power saving

Adicakes

Post by Adicakes »

Thanks guys. I disconnected the +5V lines from the ESCs and connected the BEC to a spare lot of pins next to the 4 motor connections. Naze and RX seem to be getting power a-okay. :)

Any comments about the buzzer-on-arm question?

Adicakes

Post by Adicakes »

Deleted.
Last edited by Adicakes on Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

vvk

Post by vvk »

Install the configurator - http://goo.gl/4yZMYD
Connect the board, open CLI tab, type "mixer HEX6X" (without quotes), enter, then "save", enter...
something like that

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Can anyone tell me if TPA setting is actually in baseflight 20130719 firmware , as its there in the baseflight gui but i can not find it at all when looking at all the settings in CLI

fiendie

Post by fiendie »

QAV400 wrote:Can anyone tell me if TPA setting is actually in baseflight 20130719 firmware , as its there in the baseflight gui but i can not find it at all when looking at all the settings in CLI

Just because it's not in the CLI doesn't mean it's not being used.

Have a look at the MSP code: https://github.com/multiwii/baseflight/ ... ial.c#L316
And that dynThrPID value is used here: https://github.com/multiwii/baseflight/ ... /mw.c#L105

According to the history it was already present in June. That was half a year ago though. You might want to consider upgrading to a more recent version. It's pretty stable.

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Thank you, Can I run the newer firmware even tho i have a rev 4 white board?

fiendie

Post by fiendie »

QAV400 wrote:Thank you, Can I run the newer firmware even tho i have a rev 4 white board?

Yeah, of course.
It should run on all revs.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Firmware works on any version from rev0. I even occasionally test it (though hardware drivers haven't changed for a while).

QAV400

Post by QAV400 »

Thanks guys,

I am having some proplems with a very fast ocilation or vibration and I was wondering if some one more experienced could tell me which it is,
As i have spent many hours upon hours and days now trying to figure this out. The only thing i have not tried is new motors.
It only happens under high throttle bursts

The link at the bottom will show you the video

Its a rev 4 naze32 acro
QAV400 frame g10 arms
f30a simonk
sunnysky x2212 980kv II
apc 8x4.7 props Balanced
4s 3300 lipo

The problem is better with E-props , but still there a bit and its annoying the shit out of me.

Nothing is loose on the frame, and the problem still seems to happen even without the Gopro on the frame (you can hear it)

Im sus on the bearings as 2 of the motors have some side to side play a bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Pmtz8-tu4

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Pmtz8-tu4[/youtube]
Last edited by QAV400 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

timecop

Post by timecop »

The frame is definitely vibrating

scrat

Post by scrat »

Good news. Latest baseflight from github...gps ublox v2 from rctimer. Gps has default settings like from the store. Uploaded latest hex and set gps_baudrate=0 =115200 adn gps_type=1 for ublox and it works like a charm.:) In about 30 sec I get at least 4 blinks on board. But I have a toilet bowl behaviuor with gps pos hold. I have to check my PID's.

Thx TC.

kaysee

Post by kaysee »

@scrat

I just had the same experience last night. I am happy to see my quad in altitude hold and gps hold for the first time. But got the toilet bowl as well.

disq

Post by disq »

iirc, (TC correct me if I'm wrong) for altitude GPS is never used, so if you haven't covered the baro unit on the Naze with dark foam it is not surprising to have such effects.

Chrisj800

Post by Chrisj800 »

Hi, first post here.

Firstly I want to say how impressed I am with the abusemark despatch service. Ordered Dec 26, they reopened their office on 27th and it arrived in my hands in Australia on the 30th. Fantastic fast service! :D

A couple of immediate q's:
1) On my pink rev 5 Acro version do I still need to reflash to the latest firmware or can I take it as being already shipped with the latest firmware on it?
2) Is the GUI configurator from Nicodh the recommended configurator? My tablet is Android 4.1 and it wont load, saying incompatible version.

Thanks, Chris

scrat

Post by scrat »

1. Do it.
2. Use Google Chrome baseflight configurator - android app is outdated and it is not working at least for me...I have the latest hex from git.