GPS NAV

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
-ralf-

Re: GPS NAV

Post by -ralf- »

:o

Very very good ;)

Thank's for all .....

-ralf-

Post by -ralf- »

Hi András,

will you be so kind and write a new documentation like you did for r33?

Noctaro

Post by Noctaro »

:shock:
EOSBandi, that rocks! Looking forward to test your nav feature. (As soon as my ordered OSD, and BT-module arrives.) Thank you for your great ideas and conversions! Nice trailer! :D Keep it up dude!
Your copter seems to behave very predictable, i like this.
Could there be a way to calculate and set the travelspeed between waypoints in common KM/H and/or MP/H? Would be great i think.(With a limit around 25KM/H?) Or will it complicate things because of wind and weather circumstances? I dont know if its a good idea, but maybe we could depend travelspeed also to GPS-fix. If GPS drop below 7 sats, limit it to 10km/h travelspeed for example, to reduce the offset errors.

Greetz Noc

-ralf-

Post by -ralf- »

BTW ...... NAV-PID's are defined twice in multiwii.h ........

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

Great Work EOSBandi... :D

I know that probably is premature to make requests but "Duplicate way-point" button is one of the things i wanted to see in the next releases.

Thank you.

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

NikTheGreek wrote:Great Work EOSBandi... :D

I know that probably is premature to make requests but "Duplicate way-point" button is one of the things i wanted to see in the next releases.

Thank you.

Errrr, what is it supposed to do ? and how can be it usefull ?

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

-ralf- wrote:BTW ...... NAV-PID's are defined twice in multiwii.h ........

Cleaning up code right now :D

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

Errrr, what is it supposed to do ? and how can be it usefull ?

Hmmm...
The user can duplicate the LAT LON coordinates easily and change only the Altitude for example...

steps

1)Go to LAT-LON...stay for 5 sec there
2)-- Duplicate button --
3) keeps LAT -LON the same and change the ALT only

Does it make sense now ? :oops:
Thank you.

hinkel

Post by hinkel »

Crashpilot1000 wrote:Comment deleted. Reason: Input obviously not needed/wanted.
Cheers
Rob

Sorry Crashpilot1000 !
I have not see your comment, I think all your inputs are extremely important !
Feel free to share your comment ! :)

Regards
hinkel

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Noctaro wrote::shock:
EOSBandi, that rocks! Looking forward to test your nav feature. (As soon as my ordered OSD, and BT-module arrives.) Thank you for your great ideas and conversions! Nice trailer! :D Keep it up dude!
Could there be a way to calculate and set the travelspeed between waypoints in common KM/H and/or MP/H? Would be great i think.(With a limit around 25KM/H?) Or will it complicate things because of wind and weather circumstances? I dont know if its a good idea, but maybe we could depend travelspeed also to GPS-fix. If GPS drop below 7 sats, limit it to 10km/h travelspeed for example, to reduce the offset errors.

Greetz Noc

Travel speed is a config parameter for NAV.- NAV_SPEED_MAX and NAV_SPEED_MIN the unit is cm/sec.
connecting nav_speed to gps reception quality is an interesting idea, will worth a try.

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Crashpilot1000 wrote:Comment deleted. Reason: Input obviously not needed/wanted.
Cheers
Rob

If I don't answer to something that does not mean that I did not read or considered it...

-ralf-

Post by -ralf- »

EOSBandi wrote:
Noctaro wrote::shock:

Greetz Noc

Travel speed is a config parameter for NAV.- NAV_SPEED_MAX and NAV_SPEED_MIN the unit is cm/sec.
connecting nav_speed to gps reception quality is an interesting idea, will worth a try.

Code: Select all

#define NAV_SPEED_MIN              100    // cm/sec
  #define NAV_SPEED_MAX              300    // cm/sec
  #define NAV_SLOW_NAV               true
  #define NAV_BANK_MAX 3000        //30deg max banking when navigating (just for security and testing)

András,

maybe a better place is in config.h then in gps.cpp ....

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Just a short note !
FORGET Bluetooth - Get a 3DR Radio !
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/single-ttl-3 ... -apm2.html

There will be a MultiWii optimized firmware ;) (it's pretty high on my project list)

prodrone

Post by prodrone »

EOSBandi wrote:Just a short note !

There will be a MultiWii optimized firmware ;) (it's pretty high on my project list)

I think this will interfere with long range UHF RC control Rx/Tx, frequently used for FPV flying, like the immersion EzUHF, right ?

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

prodrone wrote:

I think this will interfere with long range UHF RC control Rx/Tx, frequently used for FPV flying, like the immersion EzUHF, right ?

If you live in EU you can use 868Mhz, if in US then 900. No interference.

TTRCmedia

Post by TTRCmedia »

EOSBandi wrote:I2CGps_nav will be discontinued by me. There will be one update to 2.3 including all patches and recommendations. But it will not include waypoint nav.

Oh well, so no chance for me to test GPS NAV on friday :(

jaames74

Post by jaames74 »

TTRCmedia wrote:
EOSBandi wrote:I2CGps_nav will be discontinued by me. There will be one update to 2.3 including all patches and recommendations. But it will not include waypoint nav.

Oh well, so no chance for me to test GPS NAV on friday :(

+1 :(

well,, time has come for us pathetic i2c_gps users, to put our 328 boards in our a...s and start ordering mega boards :cry:

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

It simply won't fit.
some parts of the navigation logic, and code for WP uploading/downloading could not be moved to the i2c_gps code. Plus you need a working alt hold with high prec. baro and a mag. Including all these functions brings the code size to the limit. Plus nav needs a lot's of RAM space for variables. RAM space is the most sparse resource with MultiWii on 328p. If you run out of RAM space that is a disaster and almost impossible to debug.

So considering all the factors it is very unlikely that waypoint navigation can be implemented on i2c_gps. Even if it crammed in, it wont be safe....

In these times, the last thing that I would like to see a is runaway multiwii copter in the news.
Last edited by EOSBandi on Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

The End of an Age.

-ralf-

Post by -ralf- »

OK, ordered ..... so go on to make it work :P

Noctaro

Post by Noctaro »

Hi!
Thank you for the informations :)
I just cant imagine cm/sec as well as km/h. But indeed thats not a need, as its quite easy to calculate.
Great if connecting navigation speed to sat receipton would work. Also kind of a nice safety feature i think, maybe it should be a define like Failsafe.

Greetz Noc

[offtopic]
Pfffff...i even did not test my bt-module, but want this 3DR Radio!!! :o
[/offtopic]

dramida

Post by dramida »

About 600m BlueTooth (BT) link:

I can go 200m with my android phone and an air BT to which i scrapped off its PCB antenna (serpent like) and soldered a lambda/4 dipole directly on module .

If you would do same procedure to ground BT module on a PC, and connect that BT module through a simple USB extender cable at more than 1.5 m above ground, you would increase at least three times the range mentioned above to a incredible 600m with BT.

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

dramida wrote:About 600m BlueTooth (BT) link:

I can go 200m with my android phone and an air BT to which i scrapped off its PCB antenna (serpent like) and soldered a lambda/4 dipole directly on module .

If you would do same procedure to ground BT module on a PC, and connect that BT module through a simple USB extender cable at more than 1.5 m above ground, you would increase at least three times the range mentioned above to a incredible 600m with BT.

It is also a viable solution. It's ok if you use a BT module + ftdi combo at the PC side. A BT dongle or the notebook's internal BT usually arises driver issues (at least on Windows)

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

IT HAPPENED !
I updated the first post.

prodrone

Post by prodrone »

I noticed that older (2.1) setting files *.mws cannot be read into WinGUI 2.2 and 2.3 Next i attempted to do a 'Save to File with 'both versions and that gives an exception error on both (it works with 2.1 version).
Intention was to compare fileformat of 2.1 to 2.2, 2.3 versions. The reason is that i want to import my current settings in the new MultiWii versions.

Is this intended behavior and should i discard my old settings and start from scratch ?

Sebbi

Post by Sebbi »

EOSBandi wrote:IT HAPPENED !

Good ... and now Patricks patches to make navigation work with Airplanes/Flying Wings should be integrated before the next big release ;-)

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

prodrone wrote:I noticed that older (2.1) setting files *.mws cannot be read into WinGUI 2.2 and 2.3 Next i attempted to do a 'Save to File with 'both versions and that gives an exception error on both (it works with 2.1 version).
Intention was to compare fileformat of 2.1 to 2.2, 2.3 versions. The reason is that i want to import my current settings in the new MultiWii versions.

Is this intended behavior and should i discard my old settings and start from scratch ?

It is definitely a bug, opened an issue for it. Will be fixed.
Thanks for noting.

U.Sentenza

R: GPS NAV

Post by U.Sentenza »

Thank you very much

nolspath

Post by nolspath »

EOSBandi wrote:IT HAPPENED !

I registered just to say thank you. Awesome work.

Firmware installed just fine on my MW EZ3 Black from witespy and was able to load missions. Will test it out on my quad this weekend. Do you have instructions on updating the 3DR firmware? It would be nice to have an RSSI reading for it at the base station.

howardhb

Post by howardhb »

+10000000!!!
Thankyou for this. Multiwii has evolved from using "hacked" sensors from Nintendo Wii to a fully usefull platform. I salute you.

H.

Have a beer (or two) on me! C'mon guys donate!

nolspath

Post by nolspath »

I've sent a little beer money. Wish I could give more. I attempted a similar modification myself to the mw code a few months ago (waypoints were hard coded though), kind of worked but ended in the destruction of one of my quads when I didn't set the altitude right on one of the way points and it flew into a baseball field backstop at full speed. :-/

ttcorse

Post by ttcorse »

I tried with my quadx "with CRIUS AIOP" the MultiWii 2.3 navb1: it tends to turn on itself, you can not fly.
The wingui2.3 pre4 does not make me select the waipoints with double click,i use windows8
thanks

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

ttcorse wrote:I tried with my quadx "with CRIUS AIOP" the MultiWii 2.3 navb1: it tends to turn on itself, you can not fly.
The wingui2.3 pre4 does not make me select the waipoints with double click,i use windows8
thanks

Read the first post, you can put down waypoints with shift+left click. Double click has no function.
First try a standard 2.3 multiwii, when it flies good with it, then change to 2.3navb1, settings will remain the same.

schnupperm

Post by schnupperm »

hello,

1.) great work EOSBandi, thank you!

2.) I found a bug: setting GPS_FILTERING results in the following error:

GPS.cpp: In function ‘void GPS_NewData()’:
GPS.cpp:508: error: ‘nav_mode’ was not declared in this scope
GPS.cpp:508: error: ‘NAV_MODE_POSHOLD’ was not declared in this scope

I hope changing line 508 from

if ( nav_mode == NAV_MODE_POSHOLD) {      //we use gps averaging only in poshold mode...

to

if (NAV_state == NAV_STATE_HOLD_INFINIT || NAV_state == NAV_STATE_HOLD_TIMED){  

is the right thing to do?

3.) I love the option WAIT_FOR_RTH_ALT, but only if the copter is below RTH_ALTITUDE. Would the following change in GPS.cpp to line 702 from

if (RTH_ALTITUDE == 0 ) set_new_altitude(alt.EstAlt);

to

if (RTH_ALTITUDE == 0 || (RTH_ALTITUDE * 100 > alt.EstAlt)) set_new_altitude(alt.EstAlt);

work?

prodrone

Post by prodrone »

MultiWiiGUI 2.3pre4 bug ?
I found on tab RC Control Settings AUX1 .. AUX4 can be assigned to one or more functions. To the right on that pane i have AUX1 .. AUX8 available.
SO: AUX 5 .. AUX8 cannot be assigned and thus not used...

nolspath

Post by nolspath »

prodrone wrote:MultiWiiGUI 2.3pre4 bug ?
I found on tab RC Control Settings AUX1 .. AUX4 can be assigned to one or more functions. To the right on that pane i have AUX1 .. AUX8 available.

I don't believe the GUI is setup to display/assign above AUX4, at least I don't see any refernce to any labels above AUX4.

aux_labels = new System.Windows.Forms.Label[4];
lmh_labels = new System.Windows.Forms.Label[4, 3]; // aux1-4, L,M,H

ttcorse

Post by ttcorse »

EOSBandi wrote:
ttcorse wrote:I tried with my quadx "with CRIUS AIOP" the MultiWii 2.3 navb1: it tends to turn on itself, you can not fly.
thanks

Read the first post, you can put down waypoints with shift+left click. Double click has no function.
First try a standard 2.3 multiwii, when it flies good with it, then change to 2.3navb1, settings will remain the same.

i resolv my problem of routing:
/* NEW: not used anymore for servo coptertypes <== NEEDS FIXING - MOVE TO WIKI */
#define YAW_DIRECTION 1
//#define YAW_DIRECTION -1 // if you want to reverse the yaw correction direction
sorry I had not read the shift function, today day of test for my!!!

ttcorse

Post by ttcorse »

This morning, the first mission, no problem everything is perfect!
Wonderful job!
I made a donation for your work
Thanks

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

schnupperm wrote:hello,

1.) great work EOSBandi, thank you!

2.) I found a bug: setting GPS_FILTERING results in the following error:

GPS.cpp: In function ‘void GPS_NewData()’:
GPS.cpp:508: error: ‘nav_mode’ was not declared in this scope
GPS.cpp:508: error: ‘NAV_MODE_POSHOLD’ was not declared in this scope

I hope changing line 508 from

if ( nav_mode == NAV_MODE_POSHOLD) {      //we use gps averaging only in poshold mode...

to

if (NAV_state == NAV_STATE_HOLD_INFINIT || NAV_state == NAV_STATE_HOLD_TIMED){  

is the right thing to do?

3.) I love the option WAIT_FOR_RTH_ALT, but only if the copter is below RTH_ALTITUDE. Would the following change in GPS.cpp to line 702 from

if (RTH_ALTITUDE == 0 ) set_new_altitude(alt.EstAlt);

to

if (RTH_ALTITUDE == 0 || (RTH_ALTITUDE * 100 > alt.EstAlt)) set_new_altitude(alt.EstAlt);

work?

Hi,
Thanks for pointing out the issues. I just committed both fixes. The GPS_FILTERING solution was perfect, the rth needed more lines... :D

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

nolspath wrote:

I don't believe the GUI is setup to display/assign above AUX4, at least I don't see any refernce to any labels above AUX4.

Because MultiWii does not handle more than four aux channels for rcOptions

MultiWii.cpp line 987

uint16_t auxState = 0;
    for(i=0;i<4;i++)
      auxState |= (rcData[AUX1+i]<1300)<<(3*i) | (1300<rcData[AUX1+i] && rcData[AUX1+i]<1700)<<(3*i+1) | (rcData[AUX1+i]>1700)<<(3*i+2);
    for(i=0;i<CHECKBOXITEMS;i++)
      rcOptions[i] = (auxState & conf.activate[i])>0;

prodrone

Post by prodrone »

EOSBandi wrote:
nolspath wrote:

Because MultiWii does not handle more than four aux channels for rcOptions

MultiWii.cpp line 987

uint16_t auxState = 0;
    for(i=0;i<4;i++)
      auxState |= (rcData[AUX1+i]<1300)<<(3*i) | (1300<rcData[AUX1+i] && rcData[AUX1+i]<1700)<<(3*i+1) | (rcData[AUX1+i]>1700)<<(3*i+2);
    for(i=0;i<CHECKBOXITEMS;i++)
      rcOptions[i] = (auxState & conf.activate[i])>0;

Thank you EOS for the explanation.
But what is the use to have these four additional channels in the PPM stream, to decode them and show them in the GUI, if they cannot be used ? :?
I feel it should be expanded or abandoned (removed).

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

You can hardcode your own functions to the other AUX channels.
ex.

if(rcData[AUX5] > 1700){
// Your code or options goes here if AUX is High...
}

prodrone

Post by prodrone »

Thank you PatrikE. I did this already but with one AUX2, changed that to AUX5 now and switched a few stick on my transmitter, like this:

// end of failsafe routine - next change is made with RcOptions setting

// Clip throttle low-level at MINCHECK with AUX5 switch
    // To keep control loops active with throttle at lowest position & prevent accidental arming/disarming (in flight)
    if (rcData[AUX5] > 1500)
    {
      if (rcData[THROTTLE] < MINCHECK)
      {
        rcData[THROTTLE] = MINCHECK + 1;
        errorGyroI[YAW] = 0;
      }
    }

// ------------------ STICKS COMMAND HANDLER --------------------

But still think these switches should be equal to the other 4, since we have ARM, ANGLE, HORIZON, BARO, MAG, HEADFREE, HEADADJ, GPS HOME AND GPS HOME to select.
That is a total of 9 options assignable to only 4 switches.

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

Thats a old debate on the forum about the number of AUX switches.
I'm sure you can find it if you search.

Meanwhile we're stuck with hardcoding functions.

acessford

Post by acessford »

I have 2.3 nav on my fc and i am also using wingui2.3pre4 and i am unable to mark waypoints on the map. Any ideas?

Thank you

Figured it out, have to hold the Shift key while clicking.

Gimbal

Post by Gimbal »

Tnx for the effort much appreciated, Q: how many WP can i have.

Well c'mon hit the Donate button...

ok found it 16, is there any possibility to extend to fx 32 or more?

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Gimbal wrote:Tnx for the effort much appreciated, Q: how many WP can i have.

Well c'mon hit the Donate button...

ok found it 16, is there any possibility to extend to fx 32 or more?

The number of mission steps dpeends on your actual multiwii setup, the number is queried when you connected to your fligth controller. The 16 step limit is valid only if you r not connected to your fc ( will change it to a gui parameter).
The actual number with an atMega2560 based fc is well above 100 steps.
Last edited by EOSBandi on Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

acessford wrote:I have 2.3 nav on my fc and i am also using wingui2.3pre4 and i am unable to mark waypoints on the map. Any ideas?

Thank you

Figured it out, have to hold the Shift key while clicking.

Please read the first post of this topic, the preliminary docs is there.

ttcorse

Post by ttcorse »

One question: Use horizont instead of angle, that's fine too?

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

ttcorse wrote:One question: Use horizont instead of angle, that's fine too?

Yes, any self leveling mode is OK.