Naze32 hardware discussion thread

rortega

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by rortega »

I'm a bit confused with my new Afroflight Naze32 rev5. I've setup it as cppm and I've connected the FrsKy D8R-xp reciever. It works realy fine.
Only one question: In which pin of the naze32 must I connect the rssi output pin of the reciever?. I'm using kv team osd r370 and would like to see the rssi value on screen. Thanks.

alistairr

Post by alistairr »

Hi. Just wondering if there is anything else to check on my Rev 5 board. I tried to power a GPS and a Sonar from 2 spare ESC BECs. Unfortunately I didn't consider the possibility of a back feed and it damaged the 2 ESC. I replaced those but now I am not getting an motor output from pins 5 and 6 when in servo_tilt mode and no servo action from pin 1. I thought I might have burnt a trace to the chip. but I have tested those for continuity and they seem fine. When I disable servo_tilt all motors run great and it flys really nice but I'd like to get the servo_tilt working again. In the GUI it shows all motors should be getting an output.
I now have GPS, Sonar and the board powered from a separate BEC and that all seems fine.

I caused this issue so if I need to replace the board for servo_tilt so be it but if I can repair it even better.

Thanks
Alistair

jingej

Post by jingej »

rortega wrote:I'm a bit confused with my new Afroflight Naze32 rev5. I've setup it as cppm and I've connected the FrsKy D8R-xp reciever. It works realy fine.
Only one question: In which pin of the naze32 must I connect the rssi output pin of the reciever?. I'm using kv team osd r370 and would like to see the rssi value on screen. Thanks.

look here: https://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-deve ... dware_Mods at the "For RSSI from RC reciever:" part. connect the receiver this way - it works.

timecop

Post by timecop »

alistairr wrote:Hi. Just wondering if there is anything else to check on my Rev 5 board. I tried to power a GPS and a Sonar from 2 spare ESC BECs. Unfortunately I didn't consider the possibility of a back feed and it damaged the 2 ESC. I replaced those but now I am not getting an motor output from pins 5 and 6 when in servo_tilt mode and no servo action from pin 1. I thought I might have burnt a trace to the chip. but I have tested those for continuity and they seem fine. When I disable servo_tilt all motors run great and it flys really nice but I'd like to get the servo_tilt working again. In the GUI it shows all motors should be getting an output.
I now have GPS, Sonar and the board powered from a separate BEC and that all seems fine.

I caused this issue so if I need to replace the board for servo_tilt so be it but if I can repair it even better.

Thanks
Alistair

While servo stuff hasn't been tested recently, it should still be working fine.
After enabling servo_tilt motors shift by 2, so servos go into M1/2, and quad motors 3 to 6. If you burned your hardware, that's another story tho.

rortega

Post by rortega »

I know that mod very well, but I prefer connection the rssi output to the CF, using the same way I've done with my CRIUS AIO Pro (8 bits) for Multiwii. Through a RC filter, which converts the pwm signal to analogic, the reciever is connected to ping A0 of the Crius CRIUS AIO Pro. Then Multiwii reads the rssi values and sends them to the MinimOSD (KV Team OSD firm) through the serial interface.

After reading the settings web page of Baseflight on the wiki of afrodevices (http://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/wi ... tVariables), I've found the parameter rssi_aux_channel. I understand (could be wrong) that the NAZE32 is able to read the PWM RSSI signal  directly from the reciever, but I don't know if I must connect the rssi pin of the reciever to some pin on the NAZE32, or simply activating that option Baseflight can read the rssi data from one of the aux chanels from the cppm signal, and losing that aux channel for other purposes.

Thanks.

alistairr

Post by alistairr »

Thanks Time Cop. I have other rev5 boards using servo tilt with no problems so I think I have damaged the board. Not to worry. It still Flys perfect. I'll order another soon.;-)

rortega

Post by rortega »

Timecop, is it correct what I say about rssi or do I need to use the mod on the OSD?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Correct, it reads it out of CPPM.
Its definitely possible to read it from a free pin when in PPM mode, feel free to submit a patch to do so.

crisp

Post by crisp »

Hello everyone! I recently purchased a naze32 and I have everything working correctly on my quad except my yaw gyro is compensating the wrong way because I have the props rotating outwards instead of inwards. Is there a way I can just reverse my yaw gyro through the gui? If there is I can do that and not have to unsolder all my escs and reverse them. If it can be done and someone can let me know how i'd appreciate it. Im new to the MW side of things so the GUI is still very new to me. Im using the newest version of Baseflight. Oh im also using the naze32 rev5 board if that matters or not.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Just write a custom mixer for the way your motors spin.
use 'cmix' in CLI.
Custom mixer writing is covered by DJI, MK manuals, etc.

crisp

Post by crisp »

Figured it out. If you go into cli and click the "SET" button a window pops up then scroll down till you see yaw compensation or direction. i cant remember but its something like that. there will be a number 1 in the value box change it to -1 and your gyro for the yaw will be reversed. no need to write a custom motor mixer :)

lougedo

Post by lougedo »

Well done :D

lunithy

Post by lunithy »

crisp wrote:Hello everyone! I recently purchased a naze32 and I have everything working correctly on my quad except my yaw gyro is compensating the wrong way because I have the props rotating outwards instead of inwards.

Correct me if I,m wrong but isn't this what I did by having all my motors spinning opposite to the rather clear instructions "no puns at you crisp I'm still face palming over the fact I can't read pictures :roll: " I fixed this easily but I did not have to unsolder anything I just swopped esc wires around but it looks easier to do this in CLI anyway blah blah what I was curios about does it fly any different? since I got the motor direction right it has been rock solid even in windy conditions.

OH and Timecop ... couldn't be happier with this board purchased another one and thank you to everyone that made this board what it is.

crash22

Post by crash22 »

Just got my board today. Super fast shipping from Nihon to Idaho. Awesome board TC! Wish I would have done it sooner. You sir are a Gokurosama!

kaysee

Post by kaysee »

timecop wrote:servo stuff is 2.3 feature.

Hi TC. Only now i have the time to look @ MWC2.3 for the servo tab that you told me last time.

My problem is, its not there (attached screen shot). I have enable the servo_tilt feature in cli. Is there anything that i missed?
Attachments
MWC2_3.JPG

timecop

Post by timecop »

The GUI is buggy, you need to click 'read' if you're reconnecting to it to get servo tab to show up.
Or just use https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... figk?hl=en
edit: configurator doesn't do gimbal servos yet, so looks like multiwiiconf for now.

whakahere

Post by whakahere »

Has anyone else noticed that yaw drifts a lot more since the r396 to r428 update. When using the r428 update (since the yaw 32 bit fix) the yaw seems to pull to the left on all three of my quads. I went back to the r396 and it is much stronger locked in. Anyone having this?

scrat

Post by scrat »

Upgrade to 464 or later.

whakahere

Post by whakahere »

I have tried the latest and it still get yaw shift. I still find the update before the yaw to 32bit is much better.

kaysee

Post by kaysee »

Hi guys. I am back again with my telemetry questions :D

I just got myself a Frsky D4R-II:

- flashed it with the new 27ms firmware-
- set the jumper for cppm
- plugged it in to my acronaze32 with the tx/rx connected to Telemetry
- Switched on the PPM and TELEMETRY features in CLI
- Acronaze32 baseflight r464
- I used a switch to ARM my acronaze32
- Crius CN-06 GPS connected

Question 1.

Now, one thing i've noticed, with TELEMETRY enable, my ARM signals seems unstable (viewed in Conf s/w). It is the same on all my AUX ch. Even tried it with my D8R-XP to no avail. When i switch my ARM switch to ON, I can't get the ARM box in the Conf to light up green but the board led is telling me it is armed and i can spin the motors just fine.

This only exist when i turn the TELEMETRY feature on. Without it all is fine. It becomes a problem as I use a minimosd with kv-team osd and it can't work properly without knowing the board ARM state.

Does anyone here ever come across this?

Questions 2

The telemetry data is send to the tx only when the board is ARMed right? If i need my flight pack voltage reading on my tx i still need to connect A2 to a voltage sensor correct?

Thanx guys. Still learning ...
Regards
Kaysee

kaysee

Post by kaysee »

timecop wrote:Correct, it reads it out of CPPM.
Its definitely possible to read it from a free pin when in PPM mode, feel free to submit a patch to do so.

Question number 3 seems to be answered already :D
I'm wondering the same thing as Rortega. As just an end user, I'll just wait for the patch :cry:

timecop

Post by timecop »

kaysee wrote:This only exist when i turn the TELEMETRY feature on. Without it all is fine. It becomes a problem as I use a minimosd with kv-team osd and it can't work properly without knowing the board ARM state.

Um, once you're ARMED it drops baudrate to 9600 and starts sending frsky TELEMETRY, not GUI data anymore.
So you can't be expecting any valid data to appear in that case. I'm surprised you are actually seeing anything instead of the GUI/OSD just crashing.

kaysee

Post by kaysee »

Thanx TC. I conclude that I can't use my osd connected to the board with the TELEMETRY feature enable. On second thought, what am I thinking to have them both for :mrgreen:

Now I am trying to get my second quad with a Naze32 to work properly. I have done the acc calibration as per my Acronaze32 and did the mag calibration as well. But my quad seems to change direction on its own if i turn the MAG on.

Question:

1. Where and what i have to look for to make sure my mag is properly calibrated?

2. I get this info - "Magnetic declination: 0° 6' WEST. Declination is NEGATIVE." from here - http://magnetic-declination.com/

mag_declination = -006? Is this the right way to write it? I don't see any example with a 0 deg declination.

elmtree

Post by elmtree »

I recently got the Naze32 and tried to use the orangeRX openLRS RX module with it. When using either PPM or normal connection to the receiver the values that the Naze32 sees on the RX jump around like crazy and eventually stop changing. I then tried a dsm2 receiver and it worked fine. Is this a known problem? is there an easy (or any) fix?

Thanks

fiendie

Post by fiendie »

elmtree wrote:I recently got the Naze32 and tried to use the orangeRX openLRS RX module with it. When using either PPM or normal connection to the receiver the values that the Naze32 sees on the RX jump around like crazy and eventually stop changing. I then tried a dsm2 receiver and it worked fine. Is this a known problem? is there an easy (or any) fix?

Does the Rx work with other FCs in PPM mode? Because it sounds like you just didn't set it up for PPM properly.

elmtree

Post by elmtree »

fiendie wrote:Does the Rx work with other FCs in PPM mode? Because it sounds like you just didn't set it up for PPM properly.

yeah, it works with the Crius AIOP perfectly. Also I connected the receiver with 4 channel wires instead of PPM and it did the same thing.

EDIT: also while jumping around it kinda responds to inputs. The average of the jumps is kinda where it should be (ish). But then it stops jumping at all.

timecop

Post by timecop »

You *did* enable feature PPM right.

elmtree

Post by elmtree »

timecop wrote:You *did* enable feature PPM right.

That was my first thought also. Sadly, yes I did enable it (and disabled it when I tried without ppm)

timecop

Post by timecop »

Then you're doing something wrong somewhere, as a lot of people are using openlrs and openlrs-ng with this stuff without issues.

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

elmtree wrote:

That was my first thought also. Sadly, yes I did enable it (and disabled it when I tried without ppm)

Maybe check the wiki @ http://openlrsng.org and update the firmware?
Also try getting troubleshooting help on IRC freenode.net #OpenLRS

elmtree

Post by elmtree »

Wolf wrote:
elmtree wrote:

Maybe check the wiki @ http://openlrsng.org and update the firmware?
Also try getting troubleshooting help on IRC freenode.net #OpenLRS

I updated the firmware to the most recent version for both baseflight and openlrsng. I'll try again tomorrow when I have time and make sure all the settings are correct on both again then report back. I used the chrome baseflight config to flash the board this time and the chrome openlrs config to flash openlrsng. I'll try again with newest firmware and default settings for both.

elmtree

Post by elmtree »

Well here's what I did today:

First I reflashed the naze and the orangerx receiver and transmitter. I then connected 4 of the naze's plugs to the receiver. I turned it all on. It worked, but there was a tiny bit of jitter. This was powered by a 5v ubec to the receiver and plugged into usb.

Then I turned on PPM on the receiver and the Naze. Massive jitter again. I then set ER9X to only do 4channels of ppm out. It worked!!! I upped it to 6, and then to 8 and got no jitter.

I then powered off and hooked up the escs to the board so that the whole thing would be powered by the escs instead of the ubec. I powered up. Same jitter. I went back from ppm to normal on the receiver and the board. Jitter again. Tried a few more times. Still didn't work.

Reflashed everything a few more times trying the same thing with the ubec instead of ESCs again. No more luck with ppm, and normal connection jumps around the center, but better.

Then just now after another reflash trying different PPM sync times something odd happened. I was powering the board by the USB and connected the battery to the ubec. The connection was all the same.

MAGIC SMOKE!

Unplugged battery immediately. The board was still powered and responding to the baseflight GUI. I looked for the damage and it appears that wire between the receiver 5v and the esc 5v (and usb 5v I guess) melted. I checked with the multimeter and tried powering from the receiver vs USB and whatnot and that appears to be what happened.

Here's two pics:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5149816/2013-11-25%2017.38.43.jpg
the burnt part...
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5149816/2013-11-25%2017.53.04.jpg
red/black/white wire is the ubec

What to do now...

timecop

Post by timecop »

Ya, shorted that trace that's dead now (which was 5V or whatever your 'ubec' puts out) to ground.
All it does is transmit 5V from servo plugs to the RC plug. So something was shorted there.
Stuff should work still when powered from servo plugs, but won't send 5V to transmitter (unless there's enough of that trace leftover).

Did you do something dumb like plugging in ESCs with BECs in them into naze and THEN using separate ubec for transmitter?

elmtree

Post by elmtree »

Nope. I made sure that if the ubec was connected then the ESCs were not. They aren't connected anymore unfortunately according to the multimeter. Well this is annoying...

Can I use an ESC BEC to power the receiver and another to power the board, or would that be bad?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Thats what everyone is doing, I don't even understand why you'd want it separate like that...
wait i re-read your stuff again, why are you making shit too complicated?
if you had a working board, plug in ESC, plug in receiver, don't plug in any other bec/crap, done.
whats wrong with that setup?

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

elmtree wrote:Nope. I made sure that if the ubec was connected then the ESCs were not. They aren't connected anymore unfortunately according to the multimeter. Well this is annoying...

Can I use an ESC BEC to power the receiver and another to power the board, or would that be bad?

Just clean the burnt trace off the board and add a jumper wire from the 5v (Vin) @ the motor(esc) header row to the RX 5v pad

elmtree

Post by elmtree »

timecop wrote:Thats what everyone is doing, I don't even understand why you'd want it separate like that...
if you had a working board, plug in ESC, plug in receiver, don't plug in any other bec/crap, done.

On the working board, that's what I would have done, I just thought that the jitter might have been related to noise from the ESC or something (I was making random guesses at that point) so I powered the whole thing from a ubec. If I had gotten it working I would have just used the ESCs BECs.

@wolf So if I just add a wire between em it should work? That seems like a better solution (once I get the ppm working)

scrat

Post by scrat »

elmtree wrote:
timecop wrote:Thats what everyone is doing, I don't even understand why you'd want it separate like that...

On the working board, that's what I would have done, I just thought that the jitter might have been related to noise from the ESC or something (I was making random guesses at that point) so I powered the whole thing from a ubec. If I had gotten it working I would have just used the ESCs BECs.

@wolf So if I just add a wire between em it should work? That seems like a better solution (once I get the ppm working)

Unfortunately jitter is comming from naze32 board because cpu runs at 72mhz and this is in harmonyc with 433mhz. There is one thread at fpvlab about this.

vvk

Post by vvk »

elmtree I had the same problem with the twitching outputs, checked the naze32 with a scope and found out that there's no jitter on the ppm input, but the motor outputs are jerking when the rx (hawkeye in my case) is close to the naze32. It seems the naze is getting swamped by RF interference from the RX - initially I thought it was the opposite.

Try disabling the telemetry in the openlrsng config, it worked for me.

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

elmtree wrote:

Yes, the wire jumper is just standing in for the burnt trace on the board, 28-30awg wire wrapping wire is perfect for this.
I don't get the jitter problem either, are you inputting 8 channel CPPM in to the naze or more?
IMO RF "swamping" of other things from a TX source just means fail at antenna placement and radiation pattern...
I have no problem on a tightly packed octo w/ the openlrsng unit mounted 5-8cm from the naze32 and also having the 1w RC-TX about 2 meters away while testing for a few hours...
Example http://i.imgur.com/sKC3XQG.jpg

IceWind

Post by IceWind »

Hey TC,

Will it be long until you'll have PCB's in a color other than pink?

(that color doesn't go well with the color of my frames)

Cheers

timecop

Post by timecop »

lol, i've got over 1k blank pink panels.
It'll be a LONG while :)

jingej

Post by jingej »

They are not pink! They are magenta! :P

raulmd

Post by raulmd »

I don't have my rev5 here, but i would bet it is green.

scrat

Post by scrat »

raulmd wrote:I don't have my rev5 here, but i would bet it is green.

rev5 are pink or purple.

timecop

Post by timecop »

There were some green :)

raulmd

Post by raulmd »

Yeah! I have the green limited edition :D .
Unluckily, my quadcopter parts are somewhere between Hon Kong and Spain afected by hobbyking chaos on September.
So the only fun I can have is moving the board with my hand and see the GUI. Pretty funy...

IceWind

Post by IceWind »

timecop wrote:lol, i've got over 1k blank pink panels.
It'll be a LONG while :)

Got it. Thanks.
I'll try and look at them as magenta. :P

elmtree

Post by elmtree »

vvk wrote:elmtree I had the same problem with the twitching outputs, checked the naze32 with a scope and found out that there's no jitter on the ppm input, but the motor outputs are jerking when the rx (hawkeye in my case) is close to the naze32. It seems the naze is getting swamped by RF interference from the RX - initially I thought it was the opposite.

Try disabling the telemetry in the openlrsng config, it worked for me.

Well this worked perfectly! Thanks so much for the help everyone.

Wolf, I found some 30awg enamel coated magnet wire in my basement. That should work right? Should I try to lay it where the trace was or just connect it to the 5 volt receiver pin and then to the 5 volt ESC pin?

Also, where can I see more pics of that mini octo? it looks awesome!

raulmd

Post by raulmd »

You are right.
I would clean the burnt part of the board with a sharpen tool to avoid the trace (The part is left) make contact with the plane.
After that, use a thin wire to connect the two pins marked in the picture.
And if you want to do it perfect, use some non conductive glue to glue the wire to the board in the middle point.

Corrected after hinkel's warning
Last edited by raulmd on Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.