328p gps

old john

328p gps

Post by old john »

Hi i have a 328p fc and i have a gps fitted on a I2C board the board flashes and the gps reciver glows red evey thing is from HK it is i have no idea how to setup the gps with arduino and gui can anybody help. :(

Nickman1200

Re: 328p gps

Post by Nickman1200 »

Have you updated your firmware on the I2C-Nav board ?
What GPS do you have ?

I have this i2c-nav card flashed with Rev 62.
And this ublox GPS

I followed this excellent guide on RCGroups and it worked great.

old john

Post by old john »

Thank you for your reply you have the same eqp as me but i did not now you had to flash the ic2 board ?????? i will have a look at the site you said.
one more thing does the gps aerial change from a red light to green when it has connected ??????.

Nickman1200

Post by Nickman1200 »

My GPS LED is always green and the i2c-nav board will flash 3 short and 1 long when 3D locked. (more then 5 sat i think)

To flash your nav card you can use an FTDI programmer and connect to the FTDI port.
(You got the pins when you bought it but you need to solder it to the board if you havent already)

old john

Post by old john »

Thanks i was wondering how to flash the i2c i have only been doing this for just over 9 months and i can build them no prob just the electronics some time it takes me a while for it to sink in as my name i am over 65 daft old man but thank you again.

regards john

r3dskull

Post by r3dskull »

John, just get a FTDI/USB adapter if you don't have one for upgrading and programming the i2c-gps-nav card, you can use the same adapter to program the GPS module using u-center from u-blox web page in that way you'll have less problems getting the first fix every time the gps powers on. Is better to configure the GPS module to work with 115200 baud rate, you'll need to change that on the i2c-gps-nav code also, and use ublox GPS protocol also is prefer, remember that you need to save the GPS configuration using the u-center to the eeprom to keep them after power off/power on the GPS.

doughboy

Post by doughboy »

question on the i2c-nav-card.
I currently have a spare mini arduino. I cannot find any schematic diagram for using arduino mini (though it was mentioned in the i2c-nav-card page). Do I just connect the vcc+tx+rx+gnd to the ublox gps then the i2c to the main board i2c? The ublox uart rx tx lines are at 3.3v right?

r3dskull

Post by r3dskull »

Something like this:

Code: Select all

ublox     i2c-gps-nav      FCB
------------------------------
vcc   ->  vcc  |  vcc  ->  vcc
tx    ->  rx   |  scl  ->  scl
rx    ->  tx   |  sda  ->  sda
gnd   ->  gnd  |  gnd  ->  gnd

And yes, the i2c-gps-nav can work with 3.3v and 5v (preferable)

i3dm

Post by i3dm »

is it possible to connect the GPS' TTL output directly to the MW board TTL input?