Naze32 hardware discussion thread

satnaam

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by satnaam »

jmisuraca wrote:TimeCop - Thank you, your awesome.

I am new to quads - but have been flying heli's for about three years. I am building a quad, waiting on parts. Here is what I have:
Naze32 (Flashed and ready to go!)
AR6000
a set of 8", 9" and 10" props
4x SunnySky v2216 800kv II
4x AfroESC and programming stick from HK (in the mail)
3s 2200mah (in the mail)
4s 4000mah

I need a frame, any help in choosing one would be great!

I have a question:
Is it OK to only run one of the AfroESC BEC's .5a? or Should I hook up all 4 (Can they be run in series)? or Should I run an external BEC?
I am thinking .5a should be fine for running the Naze32 and Specktrum receiver. but would like some input from the experts.

Thank you for answering my questions.

Edit
I think I posted in the wrong forum. Sorry.

Yes that's fine or you can hook up all of them BEC's. What I did is ran a separate BEC. I don,t know how to post a picture or I would show a picture of my setup to you.
fred

jmisuraca

Post by jmisuraca »

satnaam wrote:Yes that's fine or you can hook up all of them BEC's. What I did is ran a separate BEC. I don,t know how to post a picture or I would show a picture of my setup to you.
fred

Thanks for the answer.

Upload a picture is easy: Click the Upload Attachment tab, Click Choose file, a window will open (find it (the picture) on your computer), Click add the file. Boom you now have a picture attached to your post.
Attachments
Untitled.png

AnthonysQuad

Post by AnthonysQuad »

I just got done making a custom plate to hold my receiver.Is it go :D ing to cause any problems being so close to the flight controller?

AnthonysQuad

Post by AnthonysQuad »

Oh well this is how things are coming along

doppler

Post by doppler »

Looking good, your power to weight ratio is going to be off the charts!

cyberpilot360

Post by cyberpilot360 »

Does anyone know If and how I can change the orientation of the board by 90deg? I know it was possible on arduino based firmware.

fiendie

Post by fiendie »

cyberpilot360 wrote:Does anyone know If and how I can change the orientation of the board by 90deg? I know it was possible on arduino based firmware.

That's what these settings in the CLI are for:

Code: Select all

align_gyro_x
align_gyro_y
align_acc_x
align_acc_y
align_mag_x
align_mag_y

You can obviously leave the _z values untouched.
Just play with the values until the output in the GUI behaves as is described here: http://www.multiwii.com/faq#How_should_be_the_sensor_axis_directions

cyberpilot360

Post by cyberpilot360 »

fiendie wrote:
cyberpilot360 wrote:Does anyone know If and how I can change the orientation of the board by 90deg? I know it was possible on arduino based firmware.

That's what these settings in the CLI are for:

Code: Select all

align_gyro_x
align_gyro_y
align_acc_x
align_acc_y
align_mag_x
align_mag_y

You can obviously leave the _z values untouched.
Just play with the values until the output in the GUI behaves as is described here: http://www.multiwii.com/faq#How_should_be_the_sensor_axis_directions

Thanks a lot for the info, appreciated!

AnthonysQuad

Post by AnthonysQuad »

Does anyone know if its possible to combine naze with some other system that flys waypoints.i really want to fly waypoints.

jef79m

Post by jef79m »

Perhaps you should 'fly' before you try to 'fly waypoints'

AnthonysQuad

Post by AnthonysQuad »

I can understand some peoples concerns on that subject but im building custom parts and takeing this build seriously.I dont want to have to recreate plates covers and mounting brackets so its important to get whatever i need on the quad.So all im asking is if naze is able to be used alongside another system that flys scripted waypoints.

jef79m

Post by jef79m »

Alongside? no. what you want to do is get rid of the naze and get a wookong M for flying waypoints.

AnthonysQuad

Post by AnthonysQuad »

Since i have ublox gps cant i tap into some sort of program to let me fly waypoints?I really thought getting the gps was a step in list to do for being able to fly waypoints.

jef79m

Post by jef79m »

I guess if you are really keen you could use the STM32 scripting engine with the C scripting language to set waypoints in your GPS. Probably a bit of mucking around though.

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

I can fly already waypoints (relative to navigation start) .. on traditional multiwii 2.2 ... with just few line of code 'hack'

Did TimeCop already implemented waypooints navigation on his ported version for stm32 ?

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

Timecop has no need or desire to fly waypoints, so we will probably never see it in Baseflight.

Just cause you have a uBlox GPS doesn't mean anything when it comes to waypoints. Its the firmware that needs to support it, and right now there is no 32bit firmware for the Naze32 that will do waypoint navigation.

Get a Wookong or an APM if you want waypoint navigation, but I agree with the other statement. You should just worry about flying and learning how to fly, rather than worrying about how your GPS can assist you.

timecop

Post by timecop »

There are so many issues in mwc that need to be addressed before "waypoints" or any other useless shit is even started to talk about. Copypasting more and more tarducopter code without fixing the foundation only leads to garbage. So you should be lucky you can't fly "waypoints" in baseflight.

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

timecop wrote:There are so many issues in mwc that need to be addressed before "waypoints" or any other useless shit is even started to talk about. Copypasting more and more tarducopter code without fixing the foundation only leads to garbage. So you should be lucky you can't fly "waypoints" in baseflight.

Im not sure why someone doesn't just re-code the entire thing from the ground up instead of just "porting" crap code.

timecop

Post by timecop »

subaru4wd wrote:Im not sure why someone doesn't just re-code the entire thing from the ground up instead of just "porting" crap code.

Skilled people have better things to do, generally.

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

timecop wrote:There are so many issues in mwc that need to be addressed before "waypoints" or any other useless shit is even started to talk about. Copypasting more and more tarducopter code without fixing the foundation only leads to garbage. So you should be lucky you can't fly "waypoints" in baseflight.

There will be always issues ...

Anyhow ... who did spoke about copy re-tard-U-copter code ?

I know that there are tons of copy-paste guys around ... but I'm an old, old school guy ...

Anyhow ... back to waypoint navigation ... MultiWii has already inside navigation, else RTH would not be possible.
MultiWii has 2 functions :
GPS_set_next_wp ... this allow to set the desired waypoint target (code use home location, but any location can be used here)

Then ... we have this simple line, that check if the copter is arrived:
if ((wp_distance <= GPS_wp_radius) || check_missed_wp())

Actually .. " check_missed_wp" sucks ... it make no sense to me, in fact I did disable it , else it will not work my hacked MW 2.2 with waypoint navigation.

Inside the code that make an action once the target WP is reached ... just set a next WP for the "new navigation mode" ... and ... WP navigation is done ... just few lines of code, no copy any tard-retardu stuffs ... no "gay" i2c GPS needed, not any special GPS needed ...

Hardcoded WP navigation is very simple .... make it configurable that is more "compicated" ... but you have already a CLI ... so add there a couple new commands and the game is completed ... at very very low coding cost.

The only reason why people pick re-tard-U-copter is because of navigation ... personally I think mutliwii is a better code

I hope I did clarify my point

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: I'm having some afro32 boards and some STM32 board ready to be connected to 10DOF board ... so ... I was planing to use them on more complex copter (like double wing-quad copter) ... and I'm exploring what I can get off-shelf ... so far for quick experimenting ... I'm still on old ATmega boards

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

timecop wrote:
subaru4wd wrote:Im not sure why someone doesn't just re-code the entire thing from the ground up instead of just "porting" crap code.

Skilled people have better things to do, generally.

If you don't care of UAV ... it is something ... totally acceptable BTW
But ... it has nothing to do with skills .... :ugeek:

AnthonysQuad

Post by AnthonysQuad »

Is there a script editor so i can open multiwii up and take a look at the code?
You mentioned something was hardcoded but you were able to write a new script?
i still need to figure out how to see all the command lines i jist havent been able to sit down and break it all down.
I know some people for around 7 years we created a bunch of scripts customizing things.it was based on c but not actally c.still it is very simmular so im happy to get into codeing and customizing things.its really the point of me getting into multiwii and naze for doing what i want.i wonder how many lines of script make up the firmware or if its handled in librarys.i think im missing out on info about setting the gps waypoints.just kind of need to see whats all there.
Understanding the code is.real cool to.i never knew it finds its location in a radius when flying to the gps area.thats probally how dji tightened up there systemis just by fine tuneing it.it probally take me a week just to find out how to edit the code.is there a section of members on mutiwii who edit it.they probally have helpful links.

ReadError

Post by ReadError »

strepto

Post by strepto »

Howdy all,

Ok, so I think I have stupidly just killed my shiny new Naze32 (Spiritfly) board...

Setup all went well, I was about to put the props on for a test flight when I checked the motors and realised they were numbered differently to the old control board. So I swapped two of the ESC headers without powering off.

Then the buzzer went off and the LEDs went wacky and now I think I have a board with a working brain, but no ESC output. By wacky I mean the green and blue LED are half as bright as they should be and the red one is showing some leaked voltage too even when it's supposed to be off.

If I fire it up via USB only, I can talk to it, but get a red light.

If I fire it up via ESC BECs, it powers up, but the LEDs are dim as above and the ESCs never get initialised, ie they just sit there beeping periodically. I can arm the board and attempt to power up, but that just makes the already-dim LEDs get slightly dimmer.

I'm pretty sure my laziness, slight dim-wittedness and bad luck have made my board into a paraplegic, but I thought I'd post here anyway for a bit of confirmation/public ridicule/maybe even a solution (unlikely I realise, but hey, maybe I can resurrect it somehow; I know some SM solder ninjas).

Thanks!

timecop

Post by timecop »

Sounds like you trashed the USB/5V diode (BAT54C) right above the PWM pins. Replace it and it should (?) work again.

strepto

Post by strepto »

Thanks heaps, will check it out!

strepto

Post by strepto »

Ok, thanks again for the help. The diode seems to be toast - open circuit in both lines (1-3, 2-3).

Stupid Q #1: If I short pins 1-3, will that let me run from battery/esc power, but not USB? I have a bluetooth board so I can get away with not using USB at all.
Stupid Q #2: If I also trashed the RT9193, will Bad Things happen if I do this?

timecop

Post by timecop »

If it runs shorted, it's probably OK.

strepto

Post by strepto »

Okie doke. Might give it a try. Nothing to lose really :)

strepto

Post by strepto »

Oh well, no beans. Same symptoms. Vcc after the reg is something like 2.8v so I guess I killed it (or something) else good and proper. (Vsen is 3.3).

Thanks for the help anyway, I appreciate it :)

timecop

Post by timecop »

How did you manage to break it is a better question.
Usually that kind of stuff doesn't happen.

strepto

Post by strepto »

Yeah I'm kinda glad you agree. I'm sure I've changed around ESCs on powered up controllers before and not fried them. Maybe I misaligned the pins, although that seems unlikely as it was in its box at the time, and I find it hard to believe that I'd somehow manage to plug one in backwards when I was just switching two around quickly. Still, it's a mea culpa somehow, so I guess I'll just be more careful in future...

At least you'll get a little kickback from me buying a second board (hopefully) :D

AnthonysQuad

Post by AnthonysQuad »

Can someone just post the name of current apps they use?I guess some arent useing multiwii 2.2 and sorting threw them will eat up alot of time.So know any apps naze32 will be good with?

I have a bluetooth chip but havent a clue how to use it but i know i need it.

bobbyperu

Post by bobbyperu »

Putty.exe

cGiesen

Post by cGiesen »

Baseflight GUI

strepto

Post by strepto »

I have the Aussie Spiritfly version - the software is MultiWiiGui but it looks a lot like baseflight to me.

http://madetofly.com.au/files/WinGUI_2.2.zip

The bluetooth should appear as a serial port to your computer once you connect and pair it. From there just use the software as if you were hooked in via USB.

timecop

Post by timecop »

This is the best looking GUI for multiwii so far: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... figk?hl=en

AnthonysQuad

Post by AnthonysQuad »

I just need to understand something.Can i use any gui for my settings in multiwii?
I currently have naze32 configuator app and another gui on my groundstation.Im not sure what version but i think its current.Im just wondering if these are compatible with the board.

Oh the link u posted timecop isnt viewable on my phones operating system.Anyone have a name to what gui he is refering to?

strepto

Post by strepto »

The baseflight gui thing is a chrome web store app - it'll only run on a computer at the moment.

For mobile I've been using this android app, which works quite well for the most part (it crashes a bit on me when you disconnect/reconnect):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nfigurator

While I'm here, I also have a query for Timecop :)

I have a Naze running nicely now. I've been trying to set up GPS, and I discovered that after changing the GPS-specific PIDs the board wasn't reading them unless I power cycled.

My mate had a look through the code (he's less lazy than me) and said it needs to call GPS_set_pids after the writeEEPROM routine so that the pids in ram are updated as well as the other values.

I know you're not exactly excited about the GPS stuff but is there any chance you could chuck that one in sometime? It'd make tuning position hold and RTH a touch less painful. :)

timecop

Post by timecop »

Alright, done.

strepto

Post by strepto »

Thanks TC :)

AnthonysQuad

Post by AnthonysQuad »

Long story short i still dont have that stupid orange cable and someone mentioned they built there own.what is it just a bunch of bec cables put together somehow.Still tryen to get one if anyone has a extraa ill buy it.

AnthonysQuad

Post by AnthonysQuad »

To tell you the truth i dont even know vwhat that orange cable is for.why does it have so many cords do they connect to the fc and to the tx to adjust settings.i just dont remember seeing any discussion about it.

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

Anthony...

Maybe you should join your local RC club where people can help you with these problems.

Servo wires: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hobbyking+servo+wire

What they're for: http://www.abusemark.com/downloads/naze ... pdf#page=3

Plüschi

Post by Plüschi »

Hi, i have an stm32 board F103CBT and some sensor boards:

GY-521 - MPU6050
GY-85 - ADXL345b , HMC5883L , ITG3205
Noname - HMC5883L , MPU6050

Which sensor is good for Baseflight, wich for Harakiri variant ?

Edit:
i did solder in the noname board. I did upload baseflight. The LED does blink when board is not level, and i get 6 nice 400hz pwm outputs. Now im searching the "get started" guide, i would like quadX and spek-sat or sbus input. Do i have to download the whole development suite (pain in the ass) or is there another way to configure it?

Edit2:
Yes, i did find out, and ppm-sum works nicely. :D
But the MAG orientation seems different.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Good luck orienting the mag.
Maybe if someone would spend time unfucking axis in 8bit software, it could come back here properly.

Plüschi

Post by Plüschi »

timecop wrote:Good luck orienting the mag

Done.

After 1/2 hour of head scratching and doing it wrong ... i put the tarduino and stm32 side by side and compared the mag values. 2 mins and orientation was OK :)

Now im searching where to plug this spek-sat in ...

satnaam

Post by satnaam »

Timecop,

I tried the https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... figk?hl=en this gui but when I calibrate I can't tell if it calibrating or not. Don't know what I am doing wrong.

I am using the latest base flight code and the yaw function is too slow, how can I increase the yaw function? I want it fast.

Thanks
PS how do i calibrate the manometer compass?
Thanks
fred

nicog

Post by nicog »

I am using the latest base flight code and the yaw function is too slow, how can I increase the yaw function? I want it fast. ----> add some rate to your yaw. default is 0. Go up to 0.5 for a first feeling or higher for extreme rates.

You can do that on your GUI of choice.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Plüschi wrote:
timecop wrote:Good luck orienting the mag

Done.

After 1/2 hour of head scratching and doing it wrong ... i put the tarduino and stm32 side by side and compared the mag values. 2 mins and orientation was OK :)

Now i'm searching where to plug this spek-sat in ...

RC_CH4 or PA3 in STM32 port names.