Horizon VS AcroTrainer

In-Flight

Horizon VS AcroTrainer

Post by In-Flight »

In r1317, what is the difference between Horizon Mode and enabling the AcroTrainer.
In reading the descriptions of each, they would seem to do the same thing.

PatrikE

Re: Horizon VS AcroTrainer

Post by PatrikE »

Horizon will give you a gradual decrease of Acc influecse.
AcroTrainer you set a threashold where Acc is abrupt deactivated.

Otherwise the functions is similar.

In-Flight

Post by In-Flight »

I see. Thanks!

ummagawd

Post by ummagawd »

I understand the difference... I guess what i'm trying to understand now is how this translates to flying.

With acrotrainer - it seems like doing flips and rolls will only happen at the rate at which this threshold is set at. Meaning... if I wanted to do a rather large "loop"... it wouldn't really be attainable unless the threshold is really low (like 25% of stick input). And if set high, then i'd be limited to tighter/faster flips and rolls?

Is that correct?

So with horizon mode, since its a proportion/mix, at what point does it let you flip/roll all the way over? Only at full stick input (100%?) Does that mean that long wide loops are not possible?

thanks

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

Hello,
Only true acro mode is ACRO mode in which you can do whatever loops you like.
Acro trainer is sharp switch between LEVEL (max 50 deg of tilt) and ACRO at the threshold point (like using switch just automatic).
Horizon mode is soft mixing of LEVEL vs. ACRO (zero stick input=LEVEL, 100% stick input=ACRO).
Have not tried to do acro in HORIZON mode but IMO it will be quite constrained. (Try, do a video and report back!)

Regards
Andrej

ummagawd

Post by ummagawd »

thanks Andrej - I believe I understand how it works just fine and even understand the difference between the 2 on paper...

what i don't understand (and am too afraid to just "try it" because i JUST finished my tricopter after about a month!) is how these modes translates to flying.

I guess this would be another way of asking....

are both of these modes meant to help "train" me for full ACRO?

Or are these modes meant to "aid" or help me achieve acrobatic flying?

See, i'm just starting out and flying in ACRO mode is downright scary for me at the moment. Horizon mode on the other hand is sooooo much fun without having to remember to correct as much as I would in horizon. But my goal is to be able to fly like hallstudio or warthox, or anyone else who can fly so smooth and agile with so much grace all at the same time. So i'm wondering if i'm hindering myself or cutting myself short by learning to fly in horizon mode when I should be practicing in acro this whole time.

does that make sense?

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

It is getting off topic but...
Until you are scared to fly in ACRO mode you are probably not ready for acro... :)
For acro you need completely different PID and TX settings than for normal "soft" flight (eg. highest P possible for your platform, TX rate > 1.25, roll and pitch rate > 0.50, TPA > 0.2).
With default settings (only increased P) I was unable to properly flip my quad in ACRO mode since radius was too big.
For starting acro I suggest to build small/cheap quad and do first tries above high/soft grass since crashes are sure and tail servo on tricopter will suffer the most.

Regards
Andrej

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

Set a low value on Acrotrainer(<30 ).
Then you can "Hover" in Horizon mode and fly in acro.
It will give you a selfleveling pussycat with sticks around center and have a wild Tiger while flying hard.

If Acrotrainervalue is high it's easy to be suprised by the threshold. :shock:

Follow crashlander's advise with a lowCost lightweight to experiment on.

ummagawd

Post by ummagawd »

thanks fellas

I've set my PIDs to "higher than normal".... and by that I simply followed the PID guideline on the wiki and it just so happen to be above the default PID settings.

However, my Tx rate is at 1, and my roll/pitch is currently at 50%. I admittedly had this tuned in horizon mode though so that's probably something I should change.

I will def take the advice. Does a ladybird quad count for practice? :D

I'll be setting acro trainer to 30 on my next session and see how she goes.