Magnetometer

LuFa

Magnetometer

Post by LuFa »

Hi ,

What is the best way to calibrate the magnetometer ?
In the gui we have the button "calib. mag." but cant find any info how it works .
My last info is , Klick on the calibrate button and move the Mwii in all directions , thats all .

I hope anywhere can tell me exactly how is the best way for calibrate the magnetometer.

Thanks

RCvertt

Re: Magnetometer

Post by RCvertt »

I would also like to know the answer to this.

My understanding is the same as you. Click the "calibrate" button then rotate the aircraft around each of its axis a couple times. But I'm not sure how many times to rotate the aircraft and if it has to then sit on the ground motionless for a while before flying?

Any help? I'm using HMC5843 with 1.7 code.

scrat

Post by scrat »

RCvertt wrote:I would also like to know the answer to this.

My understanding is the same as you. Click the "calibrate" button then rotate the aircraft around each of its axis a couple times. But I'm not sure how many times to rotate the aircraft and if it has to then sit on the ground motionless for a while before flying?

Any help? I'm using HMC5843 with 1.7 code.

Time frame for calibrating MAG is 30sec.

RCvertt

Post by RCvertt »

scrat wrote:Time frame for calibrating MAG is 30sec.

Great. Thanks.

Scrat also told me we only have to calibrate it once like an accelerometer. You don't have to do it before ever flight.

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

RCvertt, please update to newest code, 1.7 is really old and so many advances have been made up to 2.2

RCvertt

Post by RCvertt »

Thanks. Your right. All the advances and the movement away from standard arduino sintax make the code a little more difficult for this non-coder to read but I'll keep trying :oops:

miniquad

Post by miniquad »

I was looking for this information sometime ago and found on the forum that, you need to rotate your quad 360 degree on all three axes to calibrate the magnetometer.