Why 64bit multiwii_conf not included anymore

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
timecop

Post by timecop »

I heard on irc some excuse like "it doesn't work, so it's not built anymore" but thing is, it actually DOES work.

On a clean installed PC without java, download windows 64bit offline installer, install it.
then add C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin to path (which is where javaW.exe is)
then multiwiiconf runs just fine. It's been like this since I dunno when, I am NOT installing TWO copies of java just to run ONE app (mwcconf) since I am not using java for anything else.

Also as far as I know tarduino IDE runs just fine with single .exe and 64bit java, so what's the problem? Why even ship 2 binaries if tarduino guys seem to have figured out how to do both at once?

So, please continue building 64bit _Conf or fix windows binary so it uses either 32 or 64bit java if available.
Thanks!

doughboy

Post by doughboy »

Because the official Rxtx library only comes in 32 bit.

timecop

Re: Why 64bit multiwii_conf not included anymore

Post by timecop »

So? It hasn't stopped previous versions from shipping with 64bit builds.
What exactly is BROKEN in say multiwiiconf 2.1 which runs perfectly fine on my system with 64bit java?

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Then why not install processor and controlP5 and build the multiwii conf if desired?

timecop

Post by timecop »

copterrichie wrote:Then why not install processor and controlP5 and build the multiwii conf if desired?

See original post:

I am NOT installing TWO copies of java just to run ONE app (mwcconf) since I am not using java for anything else.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Then why not work with Andras on making the required updates to the MW-WinGUI?

http://code.google.com/p/mw-wingui/

timecop

Post by timecop »

The point is, if people bother making a java GUI , it needs to run on both 32 and 64 bit.
I suspect number of people still running 32bit windows are even less than of those running Lunix/mac, so 64bit win is likely the largest audience here. This thread is asking about why 64bit build is discontinued, which DID WORK up to version 2.1, not about improvements to mw-wingui

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

LOL

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

I agree with TC, I have updated my quad once since i got my new 64 bit laptop a few months ago because i was having so many problems, and my forum research led me to believe there was no fix (in fact every post on the subject i read said to find a 32 bit machine and use it instead), unlike what TC says above. I would like to see it fixed, not abandoned.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Then the solution is simply, Fix it. Ha!

ABL

Post by ABL »

copterrichie wrote:Then the solution is simply, Fix it. Ha!

Fix WHAT?
It's not broken. Just not built anymore

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Anyone with the Proper TOOLS, can built it themselves. Hmmmm.

ABL

Post by ABL »

copterrichie wrote:Anyone with the Proper TOOLS, can built it themselves. Hmmmm.

Anyone with proper knowledge and enough time could write copter controller firmware from scratch. Hmmmm...

Stop trolling pls, thanks.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

ABL wrote:Anyone with proper knowledge and enough time could write copter controller firmware from scratch. Hmmmm...

Mirrors are cheap or do you own one?

fiendie

Post by fiendie »

copterrichie wrote:
ABL wrote:Anyone with proper knowledge and enough time could write copter controller firmware from scratch. Hmmmm...

Mirrors are cheap or do you own one?

Seriously dude. Where's the hurt in just including the 64-bit binary again?
Why can't you just leave a thread alone if you have nothing intelligent to add?
No wonder you racked up >1000 posts with that information density.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Awe!! So now the Clan has to come one after the other to defend their beloved leader? LOL

Just love how one comes to the rescue! :mrgreen:

fiendie

Post by fiendie »

copterrichie wrote:Awe!! So now the Cain has to come one after the other to defend their beloved leader? LOL

Just love how one comes to the rescue! :mrgreen:

You should try reading what people write sometime, maybe you wouldn't have to post so much.
But that's apparently too much to ask from someone who can't type one straight sentence.

You can drop the Clan bullshit. 80% of the dudes in the IRC channel have never heard of you and the rest doesn't want to use the forum anymore because you hijack every fucking thread.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Pass this message along to your leader, for a person that does allot of BASHING of this community, he sure does allot of asking for service and usage (porting) of the code.

I said it, now take that to your IRC cockroach infested den.

fiendie

Post by fiendie »

copterrichie wrote:Pass this message along to your leader, for a person that does allot of BASHING of this community, he sure does allot of asking for service and usage (porting) of the code.

I said it, now take that to your IRC cockroach infested den.

You have paranoid delusions, mate.
Should probably go see a doctor with that ;)

Oh, btw., SimonK is one of the "cockroaches" and he would like to have 64-Bit MultiWiiConf back as well, thanks.
Just sayin'.

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

so much for anyone taking this thread seriously.

doughboy

Post by doughboy »

I am pretty sure 64 bit will not work. You probably got the GUI up and jumped to the conclusion that it works. Once a serial connection is made and the rxtx dll is accessed, you will get a java exception. 64 bit jvm cannot load 32 bit dll. Hence it is correct to not include 64 bit program as it gives users the wrong impression that it works.

Why it got included before? The answer is when Processing generates the apps, it will generate both 32 and 64 bit targets without regard or knowing you we're using 32 bit dll. Just because it was included does not mean it worked. It never worked.

Now there are unofficial attempts to compile the rxtx source into a 64 bit dll and I tested the dll it and it did not work either.

Any takers to build 64bit rxtx dll and get it to work with miltiwii_conf?

IMHO it is not worth it as 32 bit works just fine. All my systems have both 32 and 64 bit jvms installed. I think the only solution to not installing 32 bit jvm is to get a working 64 bit rxtx dll.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Huh?
I've been *USING* it for *months* in this configuration, and it DOES WORK.
I gave my setup earlier.
1) blank new x64 pc, install Java x64 offline windows installer
2) add javaw.exe to path
3) run multiwiiconf, connect to serial, work.

I run the mwc2.1 configurator DAILY to after flashing to configure boards, and you better believe me that it DOES WORK.

Here it is running and communicating over serial (COM2):
Last edited by timecop on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

doughboy

Post by doughboy »

If Arduino IDE works on 64 bits, then they may be using the proper 64 bit rxtx dll. You can probably dig through the Arduino files and get the dll and try using it it miltiwii_conf with 64 bit jvm.

doughboy

Post by doughboy »

Ok, the "official" multiwii_conf build comes with 32bit dll.

Your setup might have the working 64 bit dll in windows/system32 that gets picked up by multiwii_conf to explain why you got it to work.

Without the proper 64 bit dll, it is physically impossible to work.

timecop

Post by timecop »

I don't need to dig anywhere, the distribution from MultiWiiConf_2.1 availabvle on mwc download page works perfectly fine.
I am NOT installing TWO copies of JVM because I see absolutely no need for 32bit jvm on a 64bit system.

Your setup might have the working 64 bit dll in windows/system32 that gets picked up by multiwii_conf to explain why you got it to work.

Which part of "clean PC" was unclear? I *just* installed this machine last weekend and loaded windows 8. However while my main desktop was down I repeated exactly same process on a laptop I had with windows 7 which had no java installed, and it also worked. There are no "working 64bit dlls" unless rxts somehow magically started to get shipped with JVM, in which case this whole discussion is pointless and 64bit builds should just resume being shipped.

ABL

Post by ABL »

doughboy wrote:Your setup might have the working 64 bit dll in windows/system32 that gets picked up by multiwii_conf to explain why you got it to work.

I do not have any rxtx dll's in windows dir, still older downloads works OK. Test that.
Only dev builds are "32-bit-only" and requires another copy of Java.

Did you tried to download older MultiWiiConf and test it as TC described?

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

Hello,

It was removed because I thought it doesn't work.
It costs nothing to re-include it and I will do it in the next dev, no problem if it's indeed useful.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Thank you! (would it be possible to temporarily put a 64bit build up for current -dev (1311? or whatever) since some stuff has been changed in GUI. Looking forward to next -dev/-release including 64bit builds again.

doughboy

Post by doughboy »

ABL wrote:
doughboy wrote:Your setup might have the working 64 bit dll in windows/system32 that gets picked up by multiwii_conf to explain why you got it to work.

I do not have any rxtx dll's in windows dir, still older downloads works OK. Test that.
Only dev builds are "32-bit-only" and requires another copy of Java.

Did you tried to download older MultiWiiConf and test it as TC described?

this is direct from rxtx official website

x64 Binaries

Should you wish to use RxTx on a x64 based computer, note that the downloads on this page will not work, for x64 compiled binaries go to: Cloudhopper RxTx page. Binaries have been tested successfully on Windows Server 2008 R2, although they are slightly outdated (december 2008), and known to crash when unplugging an USB serial adapter. Another option obtaining prebuilt binaries for x64 is one of the #Known RXTX forks below.

So yes, anyone who got it working MUST be using a working 64 bit dll. There is no mention anywhere there that 32bit dll will work in 64 bit jvm. So either MW files got updated, or user's setup has 64bit dll, whether it was explicitly installed or not. Anyone who understands java programming and the Java Native Interface (JNI) Framework would know this, it is physically impossible to load a 32 bit dll into a 64 bit jvm. This is actually an OS limitation and not a JVM limitation. That is why you need a 64bit device driver on a 64bit OS. A 64bit process cannot load a 32bit dll.

As Alex mentioned, it is only a check box in Processing to generate 64bit app. It is enabled by default to generates both 32 and 64 bit apps. But it will still carry the limitation of what dll goes with the package. Just trying to sort things out and explain (with technical details) why things are the way they are. I am not objecting to having a 64bit package.

I'm not saying 64 bit setups will not work, but I'd like to get a more technical explanation (not just screenshots) on how a 32bit dll can be successfully loaded and executed in a 64bit jvm process. Without a technical explanation, someone should call the Pope and report a miracle.

doughboy

Post by doughboy »

I checked my copy of mw conf I downloaded a while back, and used dependencywalker to check if dll is 32 or 64 bit.
interesting enough, mw conf 64 does come with 64 bit rxtx dll (obviously not the official rxtx dll), and mw conf 32 comes with 32 bit rxtx dll.
however, I see MultiWiiConf exe that comes with 64 bit is showing as 32 bit. That exe does not work when I launch it. It will most likely work with the correct 64 bit exe.

Alex, you can do a quick test to see if both exe and rxtx dll are 64 bit when you generate the 64 bit target.

as for arduino, the official arduino exe and rxtx dll are 32 bit.

timecop

Post by timecop »

doughboy wrote:I'm not saying 64 bit setups will not work, but I'd like to get a more technical explanation (not just screenshots) on how a 32bit dll can be successfully loaded and executed in a 64bit jvm process. Without a technical explanation, someone should call the Pope and report a miracle.

Screenshot included properties of JVM running (doesn't say (32bit) after it, means 64bit jvm) and properties of rxtx dll.
And, according to header, it is an AMD64 dll, so it is 64bit. Problem solved, continue building 64bit stuff into release zips, etc.
Thank you.

EDIT: Just tested the 10meg release posted 80 minutes ago on google code and 64bit configurator works fine.