KV Team Multiwii OSD

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
kataventos

KV Team Multiwii OSD

Post by kataventos »

Welcome,
this is the KV Team Multiwii OSD software development topic.

Most of the development is being made together with you on this forum because the idea of this Team project is to make these OSD´s (Minim and Rushduino) using an ATmel 328p and a MAX 7456 (with all the limitations it have) fully Multiwii dedicated/compatible and providing the most needed information to assist your FPV flights.

You can find most of the answers for set up and usage on the repository Wiki pages and on this topic.

Developments of this code will stop on 2.3 version already released.
Our developments will focus on the MULTIWII HUD, a faster and lighter code.

This work is a software adaptation of Rushduino OSD http://code.google.com/p/rushduino-osd/ written by Jean-Gabriel Maurice

Work released under the Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by- ... /legalcode

A big thanks to Alex Dubus for feeding and leading great open source (Multiwii). This project would never existed without he´s work.

KV Team Multiwii OSD

Team Developers:
- Carlo Nebuloni_CarlonB
- Serguei Jourba_INT77
- Itai Nahshon_Itain
- Ross Power_Power67
- John Apfelbaum_Linuxslate
- Henrique Catela_KV

Team Contributors:
- Liam O´Brien_Liam2317
- Andi Sch_Neverlanded
- Special thanks to Mochaboy RC for making it simple to everyone with such excellent tutorial :

Users and Team friends:

- Okan Vitaliy
- VVK
- Scrat
- Truglodite
- Copterrichie
- Shagee
- Craspilot1000
- Crashlander
- Dramida
- Shackfu
- DoctorAudio
- Dr. Tom
- Postal
- Er9xuser
- Noctaro
- Rbirdie001
- HaydenT
- Shikra (Have recently started the MWOSD project based on r345 release, check it out at Multiwii forum)
- Tiger Pilot
- IceWind
- Mantovani
- Disq
- Bicycle
- Jevermeister
- Scrat
- Howardhb
- Teslahed
- Gartenflieger
- Hinkel
- Deet
- Nicog
- Katana
- Jphellirc
- Batch1
- Kasparsl
- Nick_P
- Hullabaloo
- Tonkajeep34
- Er9xuser
- Michael vd Hoek
- Subaru4wd

IMPORTANT NOTICE: People out there that are not on this list but in one way or another have done great job providing us with super useful information as well as pointing relevant bugs, should be also mentioned. To them my big thank you.
I would like to put their names on project front page even after last release, so, if you are one of them please send me a PM right away.

YouTubers:
- Jacobo Iglesias
- Alejandro Alvarez
- ChristopherTelford
- Javor36
- Tsisapik
- Phantom-RC
- TNTNeon
- VSTanman888
- Zwiebacksaege0815
- Bruno222
- David Lougedo
- Joe Bastulli
- Momongatao
- Moochasas

Team Supporters:

• Howard Hen-Boisen (South Africa)
• Calvin Martini (Canada)
• David Shutters (United States)
• Daniel Iordanov (United States)
• Nanno Peters (Germany)
• Stéphane Duvoisin (Switzerland)
• Phill Mc Manus (United Kingdom)
• António Sousa (Portugal)
• Jacobo Bardallo (Spain)
• Dr. Tom (Croatia)
• Jason Howard (United States)
• Bamfax (Germany)
• Tuan Vu (Vietnam)
• RC Digital (Argentina)
• Raúl Lobato (Spain)
• John Apfelbaum (United States)
• Todd Dalton (United States)
• José Seron (Spain)
• Christopher Telford (United Kingdom)
• Paul Baxter (United States)
• Johan Addink ( ? )
• Chan Lofland (United States)
• Jose Pino Prados (Spain)
• Arnaud Vigneau ( ? )
• Jamison Mueller (United States)

Next project (The HUD) information and specifications soon...

We love what we are doing, thank you for trusting us your flights!

OSD Open source project home (Google repository) : http://www.kvteamosd.com

KVTeamOSD wish you all great time flying.
Have fun and fly safe,
-KV
Last edited by kataventos on Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 12 times in total.

copterrichie

Re: SW Development on Minim Osd

Post by copterrichie »

Awesome, orded a MinimOSD a few days ago, hope to have it in hand soon.

Great Job BTW!

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

copterrichie wrote:Awesome, orded a MinimOSD a few days ago, hope to have it in hand soon.

Great Job BTW!

Great, hope you enjoy it.

Thanks, YW.

howardhb

Post by howardhb »

Good job!
Just ordered minimosd from Goodluck buy!
Thanks for smiplifying this!

shackfu

Post by shackfu »

Hi,
is there a way to connect an external current sensor to the MinimOSD?
Perhaps through a free Atmega-Pin (Miso,Mosi)?

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

shackfu wrote:Hi,
is there a way to connect an external current sensor to the MinimOSD?

Yes, absolutely ;) I intended to do that using same assignments as the original Rushduino.
Do not have time to start that now, besides, I implemented powermeter sometime ago and I am using it, should say that it works great! you should try.
Once you have VBAT and POWERMETER tuned on MWC, you will have a #define and a divider on OSD config.h to fine tune. You can use your Hard sensor on MWC...

vpb

Post by vpb »

Thanks for your great job, Kata!
I guessed this sw will come and ordered minim 3 weeks ago, but still not arrives yet, cant wait... :-)

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

vpb wrote:Thanks for your great job, Kata!
I guessed this sw will come and ordered minim 3 weeks ago, but still not arrives yet, cant wait... :-)

Thank you, you´re welcome.
It´s not just my work ;) it´s a Team Work for MWii community, and we just hope that you enjoy to use it as much as we do!

monkey

Post by monkey »

Thank you for starting a dedicated forum, I have been interested in this for some time and been following the other 74 page thread covering two differet OSDs back and forth, and needless to say Im a little confused.

Can you add the multiwii code we need to add to the first post please? Im on a Flyduino Mega, but I think there where two versions of the software changes in the other forum.
Im guessing we use this on a serial port? With a set speed of 9600?
Has the code been added to the latest Dev 1311r?
Also should link the original forum, in case it gets lost through the pages over time.

I ordered one awhile ago and am still waiting on it to arrive when It does Im sure I will have more questions. Thanks to all those involved in this project it has great potential.

Marc with RCHacker.com just put up a great video on the minimOSD clone and goes over a lot, great info well worth the 21 min watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMUvrjivOQM
He talkes a little about the overheating issues with the clone version (first version of minimOSD) and show how to put it into 5volt mode, this is a common issue with the first version of minimOSD and you can read about the overheating issue all of the web.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Thank you for your interest on this.

-As you can see on the main page of the code, this OSD SW (Rush_KV_2.1) was made for MWC r1240 or higher, until now there are no issues with greater developments of MWC (not there I know about).

-As for the serial port and speed, at this time you can use any port and the speed must be 115200.

-The clone you see on the first post is a 5v version you just need to use a regular 5V_FTDI, until now there are no complains about overheating, Carlonb is a member of this OSD_SW_Team and uses the Minim OSD clone that you see above, I have one of those (not used on any drone at this time) and none of us experienced that issue at this time.

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

monkey wrote:...
Marc with RCHacker.com just put up a great video on the minimOSD clone and goes over a lot, great info well worth the 21 min watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMUvrjivOQM
He talkes a little about the overheating issues with the clone version (first version of minimOSD) and show how to put it into 5volt mode, this is a common issue with the first version of minimOSD and you can read about the overheating issue all of the web.

Hi monkey,
Yes, I confirm no overheating issues if you supply minim OSD vers. 01 with 5V using the serial port connector (5V done by FC), overheating issue appear if you supply it with 12V on VRx or Video cam connectors, the voltage regulator of this minim osd is under rated.
Cheers
carlo

monkey

Post by monkey »

Yeah I plan to use 5volts myself since Im using a gopro 3 and that runs on 5v as well, got a seperate sbec so I can try to stay away from noise. Just waiting on the minimOSD clone from HobbyKing to show up.

Im still a little lost on what will I need to do in multwii software to make it work?
Can you still use the ArduCAM OSD Config software? if not can you set what/where things are displayed and how?

I got a 20.1 LCD today for the ground station Im making, couldnt beat a $40 deal on a 20.1...thought about goggles but I figure a large screen might get my wife and son into with me a little.
my build site http://quadcopter.netreadydesign.com

I wasnt going to originally do FPV but doing it with OSD and dvr for under $200, Im sold...Already had the gopro and planed on using it for flight videos..

Thank you guys for your answers and a big salute to those who worked on this project.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hi,

1-in Multiwii software you don´t need to do anything unless you want to see amperage consumed;
2-you can not use Arducam config software;
3-Everything you need, according your needs and MWC config (sensors, etc) are on config.h. Folow the instructions/comment or uncomment;
4-Nice build and diary :mrgreen:

I will work on a wiki (on the repository) to new arrived pilots to MWc cosmos :lol:

Please check this link from time to time, there will be that information soon!

http://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-development/w/list

monkey

Post by monkey »

kataventos wrote:Hi,

1-in Multiwii software you don´t need to do anything unless you want to see amperage consumed;
2-you can not use Arducam config software;
3-Everything you need, according your needs and MWC config (sensors, etc) are on config.h. Folow the instructions/comment or uncomment;
4-Nice build and diary :mrgreen:

I will work on a wiki (on the repository) to new arrived pilots to MWc cosmos :lol:

Please check this link from time to time, there will be that information soon!

http://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-development/w/list

1-I do, I do want to see amperage consumed...please add it to the wiki when you do it.
2- didnt think so but there are no stupid question just people too stupid to ask questions
3-what instructions? Im guessing you just mean to uncomment sensor's used, GPS model, flight mode, ect. Nothing specific to ouput the info to a specific serial port?
4- thanx, yeah Im not a pro for sure, but everything Im using is open source so I feel its a duty to share my info, my build, ect with the community, its how things get better, I get valid inputs from those who know better (its a long list :D ), Im sure Im doing plenty right and plenty wrong, its been a 1+ year of research and purchases, and its finally coming together, and at a good time as the features I knew I wanted when I started are all coming out now (good thing, I couldnt do it... :lol: )

I look forward to checking out your wiki page, thank you for making it for us noobs. ;)

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

@Monkey

3- instructions/comments on the Rush_KV_2.1 config.h, not on MW config.h
If you are using latest developments on MWc you can use any port, no specific details for it to work, just hook it up :mrgreen: the speed should be default (115200).

Cheers,
KV

rortega

Post by rortega »

I know that MinimOSD with your conde can show rssi info from Multiwii serial stream, but how can I read and measure the rssi signal from the DR8-II. I have got a CRIUS AIO PRO and MinimOSD working together thanks to your code and I see ON screen the vbat voltage, GPS data ... But want to see also the rssi info. Is it posible? Do I need some sensor or can I connect directly the ch2 ouput signal pin form the FrSky module to one of the analog input of the CRIUS AIO PRO? Need I to do some mod in the Multiwii code? I'm using multiwii dev r1240...

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

rortega wrote:I know that MinimOSD with your conde can show rssi info from Multiwii serial stream, but how can I read and measure the rssi signal from the DR8-II. I have got a CRIUS AIO PRO and MinimOSD working together thanks to your code and I see ON screen the vbat voltage, GPS data ... But want to see also the rssi info. Is it posible? Do I need some sensor or can I connect directly the ch2 ouput signal pin form the FrSky module to one of the analog input of the CRIUS AIO PRO? Need I to do some mod in the Multiwii code? I'm using multiwii dev r1240...

Sorry, you can´t have RSSI on Minim at this time... But we will work on that.

Cheers,
KV

dramida

Post by dramida »

rortega wrote:I know that MinimOSD with your conde can show rssi info from Multiwii serial stream, but how can I read and measure the rssi signal from the DR8-II. I have got a CRIUS AIO PRO and MinimOSD working together thanks to your code and I see ON screen the vbat voltage, GPS data ... But want to see also the rssi info. Is it posible? Do I need some sensor or can I connect directly the ch2 ouput signal pin form the FrSky module to one of the analog input of the CRIUS AIO PRO? Need I to do some mod in the Multiwii code? I'm using multiwii dev r1240...

FrSky delivers PWM signal on channel 2 as RSSI. It could be "read" either as PWM or through an integrator as linear voltage. I observed that most of minimOSD's has atmega chips with exposed terminals so an analog read would be easy to implement...

Last edit: could be used a pin from ISP witch has already pads (MISO-MOSI-SCK-RST) or they are already used for comunicating with MAX7456 ?

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

dramida wrote:...
FrSky delivers PWM signal on channel 2 as RSSI. It could be "read" either as PWM or through an integrator as linear voltage. I observed that most of minimOSD's has atmega chips with exposed terminals so an analog read would be easy to implement...

Last edit: could be used a pin from ISP witch has already pads (MISO-MOSI-SCK-RST) or they are already used for comunicating with MAX7456 ?

Hi dramida,
We can't use ISP pins on Minim as they are already used to comunicate with MAX7456.
Somewhere I saw electronic "magicians" tryed to solder directly on "micropins" of atmega to add his input connector for other stuffs like RSSI o Cam battery, but it's not so easy, after that implementing the s/w for that is not so difficult to do.
Ciao, Carlo

dramida

Post by dramida »

It is not so difficult to solder one thin wire on top on the chip and then put some epoxi glue over it. You need an 8-10 watt soldering iron and a good eye.
Please write a RSSI routine with calibration values for this analog/pwm approach firstly, and later, after a proven usefoulness, we could implement a MSP_rssi value :)

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

On the Pro-Mini, there are four available analog ports (on a NANO and MEGA, there are more), if they are not being used for motors/servos. Why not create code within the WMC to read the RSSI signal and pass that information to the OSD via the protocol?

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

copterrichie wrote:Why not create code within the WMC to read the RSSI signal and pass that information to the OSD via the protocol?

Yes, that´s the idea.

KasparsL

Post by KasparsL »

Today tried the OSD. I received the minimOSD v0.1, updated fonts and programmed with Rushduino 2.1. Overall i like it! It is my firs OSD ever also =].

Thank You!

Only I have noticed that menu browsing sometimes jumps several items not one. Can it be made like - do command (go left, right, up, down or sellect) if detected do it once, and if it is still present after 2 sec - then start to repeat it 1 or 2 times per sec. If released before 2sec - reset counter and wait for command again. Just an idea =]

Nice job for us Multiwii fans!

Hers is the video of test flight http://youtu.be/ayxhRc5IrsE I still need to sort the Video RX part - change antenna and add secont RX for diversity. I need tripod for the RX and monitor also! =]

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

KasparsL wrote:Today tried the OSD. I received the minimOSD v0.1, updated fonts and programmed with Rushduino 2.1. Overall i like it! It is my firs OSD ever also =].

Thank You!

Only I have noticed that menu browsing sometimes jumps several items not one. Can it be made like - do command (go left, right, up, down or sellect) if detected do it once, and if it is still present after 2 sec - then start to repeat it 1 or 2 times per sec. If released before 2sec - reset counter and wait for command again. Just an idea =]

Nice job for us Multiwii fans!

Hers is the video of test flight http://youtu.be/ayxhRc5IrsE I still need to sort the Video RX part - change antenna and add secont RX for diversity. I need tripod for the RX and monitor also! =]

Hi,

I don´t understand your video description :?
You have a minim OSD and you are running on it RUSH_KV_2.1 but you still have problems with your AV gear... is this what you wanted to say? :mrgreen:

Are you using narrow screen? If you had PMeterSum working you would have a problem... Please use wide screen and report, you can change that on your OSD page 4. (We were thinking in taking the narrow screen out)

EDIT: About the menu jumping. It is a little sensitive since ever, you need to be patient (slow and precise with the stick) until we look into that.

Cheers,
KV

KasparsL

Post by KasparsL »

I am saying that I like the OSD :D only the menu control response is quite "sensitive". And video was the first flight to check it how everything is working. People like reading posts with pictures and videos ;)

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

KasparsL wrote:I am saying that I like the OSD :D only the menu control response is quite "sensitive". And video was the first flight to check it how everything is working. People like reading posts with pictures and videos ;)

You did not answer my question´s, they are important. (posted on your video)

Almost no-one use narrow screen :geek: and we were thinking in taking it off permanently to save some bytes for other features.
I know you have a 4:3 LCD but, I think you should have 16:9 option on it.

And:
-did you just flagged my youtube comment as spam? :o
Take that off immediately or I will kick your ass... :mrgreen:

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

KasparsL wrote:I am saying that I like the OSD :D only the menu control response is quite "sensitive". And video was the first flight to check it how everything is working. People like reading posts with pictures and videos ;)

You did not answer my question/suggestion, important stuff. (posted on your video)

Almost no-one use narrow screen (OSD Page configurable) :geek: and we were thinking in taking it off permanently to save some bytes for other features.

And:

KasparsL

Post by KasparsL »

kataventos wrote:

You did not answer my question/suggestion, important stuff. (posted on your video)

Almost no-one use narrow screen (OSD Page configurable) :geek: and we were thinking in taking it off permanently to save some bytes for other features.

And:

I did not mark your comment as a spam - YouTube did it (i think) :lol: So watch out of spam keywords! :geek:

And why should i use wide screen if the FPV camera is 4:3 (and most of them are) and monitor is 4:3 ? I tried to switch in the osd 16:9 and 4:3 but did not notice any changes. Should all osd info become narrower? I will try in evening once more.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

[quote="KasparsL"

I did not mark your comment as a spam - YouTube did it (i think) :lol: So watch out of spam keywords! :geek:

And why should i use wide screen if the FPV camera is 4:3 (and most of them are) and monitor is 4:3 ? I tried to switch in the osd 16:9 and 4:3 but did not notice any changes. Should all osd info become narrower? I will try in evening once more.[/quote]

:lol: I know what went wrong... I posted one first comment but I forgot something, deleted it making copy and paste of what I have wrote before... that´s it, for youtube is a spam.

About what I said... yes, displayed information places are different in narrow and wide, every one of them have a different code (place where stuff are displayed) the same for pal and ntsc because of TVlines number)

Just try to use it wide even with 4:3 stuff (camera and monitor) and report back. This is useful information for development.

Anyway, for the moment I can say that are big surprises to come from Power67 on this part of the code.

Cheers,
KV

KasparsL

Post by KasparsL »

kataventos wrote: :lol: I know what went wrong... I posted one first comment but I forgot something, deleted it making copy and paste of what I have wrote before... that´s it, for youtube is a spam.

About what I said... yes, displayed information places are different in narrow and wide, every one of them have a different code (place where stuff are displayed) the same for pal and ntsc because of TVlines number)

Just try to use it wide even with 4:3 stuff (camera and monitor) and report back. This is useful information for development.

Anyway, for the moment I can say that are big surprises to come from Power67 on this part of the code.

Cheers,
KV

Hi, tried the "wide" setting, and actually it looks better positioned.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

KasparsL wrote:
kataventos wrote: :lol: I know what went wrong... I posted one first comment but I forgot something, deleted it making copy and paste of what I have wrote before... that´s it, for youtube is a spam.

Cheers,
KV

Hi, tried the "wide" setting, and actually it looks better positioned.

OK, that is what I was talking about, much better now ;)

KasparsL

Post by KasparsL »

Just saw this video - plain flying with OSD. http://youtu.be/n3gq8fZpUhM or this one http://youtu.be/4t_d4AonTXY

Does this OSD in video has better resolution than minimosd with MAX7456? I like the way the pitch and roll are displayed! Any chance to program it to look like that on minimOSD?

Peter

Post by Peter »

I just uploaded the fonts and it showed the percentage and the ready message, but it gives strange characters and icons when using the osd.
Do you have any tips?

EDIT: Got it working. When using the OSD with 5V and 12V, you also need to power the 12V side when uploading the font.

trailblazer

Post by trailblazer »

KasparsL wrote:Just saw this video - plain flying with OSD. http://youtu.be/n3gq8fZpUhM or this one http://youtu.be/4t_d4AonTXY

Does this OSD in video has better resolution than minimosd with MAX7456? I like the way the pitch and roll are displayed! Any chance to program it to look like that on minimOSD?

Sadly the answer is "no" - the MAX chip has a fixed charactermap, so real graphics as seen in the vids is not possible.

dramida

Post by dramida »

I saw some original arducopter minimOSD artificial Horizon videos and i observed that the horizon line works smoother on Y axis with more intermediary steps between on tilt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3CN4hFHEMg

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

Peter wrote:I just uploaded the fonts and it showed the percentage and the ready message, but it gives strange characters and icons when using the osd.
Do you have any tips?

EDIT: Got it working. When using the OSD with 5V and 12V, you also need to power the 12V side when uploading the font.

Hi peter,
I can confirm that usually we don't need double supply uploading char map into MAX7456 (I do that since months), may be your actual 5V supply is just a little bit less than 5V, MAX supply seems critical about chars uploading.

Cheers
Carlo

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

dramida wrote:I saw some original arducopter minimOSD artificial Horizon videos and i observed that the horizon line works smoother on Y axis with more intermediary steps between on tilt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3CN4hFHEMg

Hi dramida,
Yes I know, we need to work on it.
Bye
Carlo

realpastaman

Post by realpastaman »

Thanks everyone for your great work on Minim Osd! I'm over the moon! - Mine arrived today from Good Luck Buy - Just 10days to UK!

Ive just about got things working using only 5 Volt power is coming from the MW FC just joined the solder bump on the board - I used Teraterm to update the fonts (I thought it was working as the upload bar was showing this) after a few goes I realised that it wasnt actually working becuase I hadn't changed the baud rate doh !) Anyone else having this problem , you need to look in the term window that its working.
Now all seems to be working great..... But here comes two questions (from stupid!).
1. How to change to wide mode? Or is it set already?
2. When I arm the quadcopter, its not showing on the display as armed. Any ideas? I'm using R1316 btw and NTSC camera
Thanks again for all your great work

itain

Post by itain »

realpastaman wrote:1. How to change to wide mode? Or is it set already?
2. When I arm the quadcopter, its not showing on the display as armed. Any ideas? I'm using R1316 btw and NTSC camera

Start with 2. You need to edit Config.h and set the mode bits that would match your copter settings.
My best suggestion is to start MultiWiiConf, connect your quadcopter and see what boxes you have configured. Now assign each box with the next power of 2 and and use the results to replace the values in the Mode Active area of Config.h
config.png
(3.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet

For example, I have (see attached image):
ANGLE = 1 ==> #define STABLEMODE 1
HORIZON = 2 (not used)
BARO = 4 ==> #define BAROMODE 4
MAG = 8 ==> #define MAGMODE 8
ARM = 16 ==> #define ARMEDMODE 16
GPS HOME = 32 ==> #define GPSHOMEMODE 32
GPS HOLD = 64 ==> #define GPSHOLDMODE 64
(other values are not used by the OSD).
Upload the firmware to the OSD. Armed as well as other flight modes should be recognised.

Now to question 1. With the OSD connected to the quad you shooud ecter config mode and change the settings from NARROW to WIDE. Disarm the motors, then apply middle throttle, full right yaw and full forward pitch and wait a second. The OSD should go into config mode. The selection of WIDE or NARROW screen in in config page 5.

realpastaman

Post by realpastaman »

itain wrote:
realpastaman wrote:1. How to change to wide mode? Or is it set already?

Start with 2. You need to edit Config.h and set the mode bits that would match your copter settings.
My best suggestion is to start MultiWiiConf, connect your quadcopter and see what boxes you have configured. Now assign each box with the next power of 2 and and use the results to replace the values in the Mode Active area of Config.h
config.png

For example, I have (see attached image):
ANGLE = 1 ==> #define STABLEMODE 1
HORIZON = 2 (not used)
BARO = 4 ==> #define BAROMODE 4
MAG = 8 ==> #define MAGMODE 8
ARM = 16 ==> #define ARMEDMODE 16
GPS HOME = 32 ==> #define GPSHOMEMODE 32
GPS HOLD = 64 ==> #define GPSHOLDMODE 64
(other values are not used by the OSD).
Upload the firmware to the OSD. Armed as well as other flight modes should be recognised.

Now to question 1. With the OSD connected to the quad you shooud ecter config mode and change the settings from NARROW to WIDE. Disarm the motors, then apply middle throttle, full right yaw and full forward pitch and wait a second. The OSD should go into config mode. The selection of WIDE or NARROW screen in in config page 5.

Thanks so much itain for your compehensive assistance on this. Thanks to your help I've just got "wide" working and I'm now looking at "armed".

BTW just why I'm working on the bench. Ive soldered a wire between the Minim"+12volt" and the Minim "+5volt on the serial pins" and powering everything from one of the video "+ power leads" since everthing is on 5volts. Its quite handy to do this and no danger of the quad taking off. Seems to work fine.

realpastaman

Post by realpastaman »

Thanks for your help itain all working now :) Thanks also to everyone who is working on this part of MultiWii. This Minim OSD is awesome !

dramida

Post by dramida »

Just downloaded featured RushKV 2.1 from here (http://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-devel ... loads/list), i put the Metro library in Arduino 1.0.1 and i have this compiling error:

Code: Select all

analogReference(INTERNAL);

Rush_KV_2_1.cpp: In function 'void setup()':
Rush_KV_2_1:65: error: 'INTERNAL' was not declared in this scope

What am i doing wrong here?

Latest edit:

Ha-ha-ha - The board was set to Mega256 :) now it's solved

vpb

Post by vpb »

My minim arrived, I flashed it yesterday but forgot replacing the font. Plugged in serial 0 and it's up, my very first osd :D, the screen was fullfilled with weird characters, but I could see osd line moving, I meant it worked.

I flashed the board with font_update.ino and sent the mcm file via Tera, then flashed KV-2.1 again. The screen was clean but only showed horizon 2 signs , like that ">....v....<", nothing more. Did I miss something?

But I accidently plugged in the VideoIn (+) wire to MinimVideoOut (-) port, no more blue led, the board is now malfunctioning I think, cannot flash anymore (arduino error: programmer not respond). Another 2-3 weeks waiting...

Anyway, thanks Kata & his team's job, it's awesome osd!

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

vpb wrote:But I accidently plugged in the VideoIn (+) wire to MinimVideoOut (-) port, no more blue led, the board is now malfunctioning I think, cannot flash anymore (arduino error: programmer not respond). Another 2-3 weeks waiting...

Anyway, thanks Kata & his team's job, it's awesome osd!

:o I´m very sorry to see that you will have to buy another one... but it will be on your hands in time for next release ;)

Cheers,
KV

dramida

Post by dramida »

I am stuck in uploading character set in MAX7456. Could anybody explain the "trick" behind this? What is all about in a engineering manner?

I am trying to find font_update.ino with no luck. After uploading this sketch (wich i can't find) i want to use ArduCam to upload mcm file. Is my plan correct?

Bingo, i guess file is named Max7456_Font_Update.zip
And ArduCam dosen't work for uploading charset

So back to square 1

Later on the day...
So i figure out the upload!
Firstly i uploaded font_update.ino with changes :

#define MAX7456SELECT 6//10-ss
#define MAX7456RESET 10//10-ss

Then i used TeraTerm, i selected the serial protocol with the right port, then File- Send command @ 19200baud.

BUT

The OSD shows wired characters. What am i doing wrong?

Peter

Post by Peter »

Does it show the percent done messages while uploading? Or garbage?
You might try to connect the 12v side too, that did the trick for me.

vpb

Post by vpb »

dramida wrote:Later on the day...
So i figure out the upload!
Firstly i uploaded font_update.ino with changes :

#define MAX7456SELECT 6//10-ss
#define MAX7456RESET 10//10-ss

Then i used TeraTerm, i selected the serial protocol with the right port, then File- Send command @ 19200baud.

BUT

The OSD shows wired characters. What am i doing wrong?

Dramida, you must flash the board with Max7456_font_update.ino, then connect it with tera, the console will show some text, then send the mcm file, console will log out the % complete.

The last step is flashing Minim with Kv2.1 code. I've spent 1-2 hours to get it works too. :)

dramida

Post by dramida »

It is exactly what i did, except that i modified Max7456_font_update.ino the way i read in this topic here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=922&p=28512&hilit=font_update.ino#p28516

albertoLG

Post by albertoLG »

@dramida, I don't know if it is explained somewere here, but you need to close the 2 jumpers if you want to feed the OSD with only the 5v and not both 5v and 12v

Peter

Post by Peter »

I configured voltage monitoring in MultiWii. It is working in the GUI.
Is it possible to use it in Rushduino?