GPS integration

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
jaames74

Re: GPS integration

Post by jaames74 »

EOSBandi wrote:Hi Folks,
I just committed an update to the GPS parsers. it includes :
- updated initialisation for MTK gps modules correct EGNOS init and set navigation threshold (Thanks for Crashlander for the help and test)
- Added MTK binary protocol for both versions of DiyDrones binary MTK firmwares (v1.6 (AXN1.3-2389) and v1.9(AXN1.51-2776)) (Thanks again to Crashlander for notify me about the new fw)
- Added a forward predictive filter to gps position calculation, which eliminates the gps lag. (based on the code from Jason Short)

Due bad weather it is only tested on the desk, so please use it wisely.

hi Eos,
will you make this update available for "poor" I2C GPS users like me?? :lol:

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

jaames74 wrote:hi Eos,
will you make this update available for "poor" I2C GPS users like me?? :lol:

Stay tuned it is on it's way.... :D

dramida

Post by dramida »

I just flew R1292 with GPS prediction filter and new mag calibration routine. I am using Crius AIOP with Ublos Neo 6M binary protocol GPS.
In my opinion the positioning is twice as better than previous as i could stay on GPS PH on a narrow street between buildings.
Anyway i made a test with my 1050 mm tricopter in witch i flew from take-of to landing in position hold.
Here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GpTA8-glQs
One aspect to mention: when yaw-ing in PH, the copter makes big circles but smaller than previous algorithm.

jaames74

Post by jaames74 »

dramida wrote:I just flew R1292 with GPS prediction filter and new mag calibration routine. I am using Crius AIOP with Ublos Neo 6M binary protocol GPS.
In my opinion the positioning is twice as better than previous as i could stay on GPS PH on a narrow street between buildings.
Anyway i made a test with my 1050 mm tricopter in witch i flew from take-of to landing in position hold.
Here is the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GpTA8-glQs
One aspect to mention: when yaw-ing in PH, the copter makes big circles but smaller than previous algorithm.

does this test video include nhardians' s ALTHOLD mate??

dramida

Post by dramida »

No, that Alt Vario test with Adrian's software is scheduled tomorrow, the day is too short :(
But as you well noticed, there is a basic Alt Vario implementation also in R1298 software. I have to test Adrian's more featured altitude mod before making a judgement about altitude vario implementation.

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Hi Folks,

i2c-gps-nav v2.2beta1 is just released for testing!
you can get it from : http://code.google.com/p/i2c-gps-nav/downloads/list

New features :
MTK Binary protocol 1.9 (from DIYDrones)
UBLOX init
MTK init
Lead predictive filtering (updated)
SONAR handling (See config.h for more info)

This is the first beta release, is sould work with MW 2.1 and recent devs BUT there will be some upcoming fixes which will impact data structures so the final I2C-V2.2 release will work only with MW 2.2 (or a TBD revision from SVN)

Disclaimer : Since I don't see a penny from third party manufacturers i2cgps board versions, i cannot provide support for such boards. The primary supported platform for I2C-GPS-NAV is a pure vanilia arduino mini or nano with direcly attached GPS and sonar modules.

dramida

Post by dramida »

I am very happy with curent Ublox 6M gps predictive filter-mag calibration implementation, way better than last dev version, good work Mr. Eos

wilco1967

Post by wilco1967 »

Hi

tried the new version 1298 by EosBandi on a Flyduino Mega with a flyduino FMP03 / 3329 GPS

got it working in binary mode using the 1.6 firmware (AXN1.30_2389_3329_384.1151100.1_v16.bin), but no succes in using the 1.9 firmware (AXN1.51_2776_3329_384.1151100.5_v19.bin).

update of GPS with 1.9 firmware was succesful, however it does not seem to send anything other than the same line over and over again.
Also it does not seem to respond to configuration command being sent (to which the 1.6 firmware responded correctly)...

in an earlier post it was mentioned that
This means that you can upload this firmware only to a Pa6B or other Global-Top made MT3329 chip based modules.

So I assume this is the problem I'm facing.... but what I don't understand is, what makes a flyduino 3329 based GPS any different from others ?

With the 1.6 firmware, could not observe anything different than previously using NMEA on MTK3329_A1.5E_20110118_10Hz_115200.bin

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

The vendor ID which is set in the module.
PA6B made by Global-Top, and they wrote the 1.9 firmware
FMP04 made by FTech and they did not wrote any firmware

A1.5E is an NMEA only firmware.... the latest fw for your module is the 1.3-(v1.6) for binary mode. (it also made by Global-Top but did not check for vendor ID)

Sharkcopter

Post by Sharkcopter »

I am very saddened to tell you that Fabio Varesano, the manufacturer of FreeImu died on Christmas Day.
He was only 27 years of age.
This morning we attended his funeral.
I remember him as a friend with a great desire to try and help others.

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Sharkcopter wrote:I am very saddened to tell you that Fabio Varesano, the manufacturer of FreeImu died on Christmas Day.

OMG ! I'm shocked. Please forward my condolences. The community will miss him.

alexia

Post by alexia »

Sharkcopter wrote:I am very saddened to tell you that Fabio Varesano, the manufacturer of FreeImu died on Christmas Day.

it s so sad......it s so young to died :cry:
how it s possible?it was sick?

diyboy

Post by diyboy »

it s so sad.........! :cry:

Sharkcopter

Post by Sharkcopter »

alexia wrote:

it s so sad......it s so young to died :cry:
how it s possible?it was sick?

No he was not sick, a cerebral infarction.

wilco1967

Post by wilco1967 »

What to say more.....
My deepfelt condolances....

mahowik

Post by mahowik »

Shocked!!! It's very strange, but very often when best people are died so young... it's very very sad... 27 years... ((((

jevermeister

Post by jevermeister »

:-( damn...

my condolences to family and friends...

dramida

Post by dramida »

Wellcome back Mahowik aka Alex.

We'll miss Fabio.
I propose a few words in credits.txt about the generosity of Fabio Vanessano.
Fabio, now you are free to fly where only your imagination could go from this earth.
/Mihai

alexia

Post by alexia »

dramida wrote:Wellcome back Mahowik aka Alex.

We'll miss Fabio.
I propose a few words in credits.txt about the generosity of Fabio Vanessano.
Fabio, now you are free to fly where only your imagination could go from this earth.
/Mihai

fully agree with that

Sharkcopter

Post by Sharkcopter »

I apologize for the announcement.
I came just now aware, through an Italian forum, that the Fabio family has no pleasure of commemorations on the forums that he frequented.
We respect their wishes.

ezio

Odp: GPS integration

Post by ezio »

EOSBandi wrote:The vendor ID which is set in the module.
PA6B made by Global-Top, and they wrote the 1.9 firmware
FMP04 made by FTech and they did not wrote any firmware

A1.5E is an NMEA only firmware.... the latest fw for your module is the 1.3-(v1.6) for binary mode. (it also made by Global-Top but did not check for vendor ID)

Is there a way to change the vendor id?
Or maybe we can patch the firmware?

EOSBandi

GPS integration

Post by EOSBandi »

Well, I think it is not possible to change the vendor id. Firmware patching is possible, you need ida pro and some knowledge of arm8 assembly.

faraz

Post by faraz »

Dear Eosbondi, the distance to home turns zero after 655m and restarts. Please look into issue also. Thanks

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Hi !
Yes I know. Only with i2c-gps, and it will be fixed with the 2.2 release of the i2c-gps...
BTW. 665M is usually more than LOS and flying without LOS is not legal in many countries....
EOS

faraz

Post by faraz »

Thanks..

mahowik

Post by mahowik »

EOSBandi wrote:I just committed some rework on the HMC5883L gain calibration (init). The code is based on Fabio's FreeIMU code and I think this is as good now as it could be on this platform. After some experimenting I decided to keep the current offset calibration method (MAG DANCE) since the ellipsoid to sphere method did not gave significantly better results, but added difficulty to the calibration process. I tested it but i would appriciate if somebody will took a look.

Hi EOSBandi,

I have tried this new solution but after set of calibration attempts I couldn't get linear values... e.g. if on north it shows 0 degree, for south it's ~165, but not 180
With old calibration non-linearity was max 3-5 degree for all directions...

Probably at my location ellipsoid much elongated and old calibration was closer... What do you think?

thx-
Alex

majoo

Post by majoo »

Hello
can please help me someone to take my GPS Modul module"I2C PA6C GPS + LLC breakout board 3, 3/5V by Drotek" into operation? I read a lot of threats here, but I’m still unsuccessful.
I’m using the flight control board"MultiWii 328 p flight controller w/FTDI & DSM2 port" from Hobbyking
I get only I2C errors and no single satellite in the MultiWiiGui.
If I connect the the GPS Modul with the FTDI and do not cross RX / TX by using some extra cables, I see 8 satellite with the "mini GPS tool V1. 7. 1" (I select115200 baud to access.)
I tried to put the I2C_GPS_NAV on the GPS Modul by using the Arduino 1.01, but at the end of the transferring process I get the error “avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00” Before I do that, I had to open the solder bridge on the GPS Board. Beside this point I'm not shure if the step is realy nessesarry, because drotec postet at the description of the Board following:
    "Bootloader and firmware of Atmega328 already flashed"
    "Firmware of GPS is configured with 115200 Baud and 10 Hz parameter
    s"
In the config.h of the MultiWii 2.1 I did following changes:

Code: Select all

#define I2C_SPEED 400000L
#define I2C_GPS   

It would be great, if anyone help me out here.
Martin

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

mahowik wrote:
EOSBandi wrote:I just committed some rework on the HMC5883L gain calibration (init). The code is based on Fabio's FreeIMU code and I think this is as good now as it could be on this platform. After some experimenting I decided to keep the current offset calibration method (MAG DANCE) since the ellipsoid to sphere method did not gave significantly better results, but added difficulty to the calibration process. I tested it but i would appriciate if somebody will took a look.

Hi EOSBandi,

I have tried this new solution but after set of calibration attempts I couldn't get linear values... e.g. if on north it shows 0 degree, for south it's ~165, but not 180

Probably at my location ellipsoid much elongated and old calibration was closer... What do you think?

thx-
Alex

Did you set your magdeclination ?
EOS

mahowik

Post by mahowik »

EOSBandi wrote:
mahowik wrote:Hi EOSBandi,

thx-
Alex

Did you set your magdeclination ?
EOS

Of course! But in any case magdeclination set only linear correction, but I have talked about non-linearity, i.e. when rotating for 180 degree from any position you can get yaw-diff 160-165 degree instead of 180...

//MONTREAL QUEBEC
    //Magnetic declination: 14? 52' WEST
    //Declination is NEGATIVE
    #define MAG_DECLINIATION  -14.86f              //For MONTREAL QUEBEC.

so probably ellipsoid to sphere calibration still make sense...

thx-
Alex

Rainer

Post by Rainer »

majoo wrote:Hello
can please help me someone to take my GPS Modul module"I2C PA6C GPS + LLC breakout board 3, 3/5V by Drotek" into operation? I read a lot of threats here, but I’m still unsuccessful.
I’m using the flight control board"MultiWii 328 p flight controller w/FTDI & DSM2 port" from Hobbyking
I get only I2C errors and no single satellite in the MultiWiiGui.
If I connect the the GPS Modul with the FTDI and do not cross RX / TX by using some extra cables, I see 8 satellite with the "mini GPS tool V1. 7. 1" (I select115200 baud to access.)
I tried to put the I2C_GPS_NAV on the GPS Modul by using the Arduino 1.01, but at the end of the transferring process I get the error “avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00” Before I do that, I had to open the solder bridge on the GPS Board. Beside this point I'm not shure if the step is realy nessesarry, because drotec postet at the description of the Board following:
    "Bootloader and firmware of Atmega328 already flashed"
    "Firmware of GPS is configured with 115200 Baud and 10 Hz parameter
    s"
In the config.h of the MultiWii 2.1 I did following changes:

#define I2C_SPEED 400000L
#define I2C_GPS   

It would be great, if anyone help me out here.
Martin

hello

this will help a little: http://www.drotek.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=39

majoo

Post by majoo »

Thanks Rainer, but I do not speak france and google translator is not exact enaugh to understand the relations.

Neo360

Post by Neo360 »

Hi to all, anyone can ask me why my home arrow was always wrong?? And see the Home distance, when was at 652m the counter restart to 0m, was normal?

See the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x0MTfyN ... Sw&index=1

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Neo360 wrote:Hi to all, anyone can ask me why my home arrow was always wrong?? And see the Home distance, when was at 652m the counter restart to 0m, was normal?

See the video:

I can ask you, why your home arrow always wrong ? :D:D:D
Both simptoms are known errors and will be fixed in the upcoming release of i2c-gps-nav.

Neo360

Post by Neo360 »

EOSBandi wrote:
Neo360 wrote:Hi to all, anyone can ask me why my home arrow was always wrong?? And see the Home distance, when was at 652m the counter restart to 0m, was normal?

See the video:

I can ask you, why your home arrow always wrong ? :D:D:D
Both simptoms are known errors and will be fixed in the upcoming release of i2c-gps-nav.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok i'm wait the new version. How long?

scanman

Post by scanman »

Hello EOS Bandi , do you know of anywhere else i can buy the i2c-nav boards other than RCTimer. I have bought 3 boards from them over the past 6 months and all three work for a while and then they blow (no light and then heating up). It has happened on 2 GPS units.

This last board that blew also blew my brand new Crius SE v2.0 on its way out on a brand new tri-copter build.

So i want to use i2cNav but dont want to blow any more hardware.

ApoC

Post by ApoC »

Hey PPL

This Thread is sooo huge atm. i was a long time not up-to-date with MWii and GPS.

What is the actual best GPS to I²C solution? With MTK and 1.9 FW, or UBlox GPS?

I can flash a "poor mans" Arduino with the Code from EOSBandi and connect it to MWii. Okay, but im searching for an allinone GPS to I²C Board. This from RCTimer seems to be dead after a while, so i ask u, what another complete board is done?
The Drotek Board has "only" a MTK Chip, i thought, UBlox is better, or?

And can plz somebody (maybe Alex) collect the whole actual information in the first thread? Im very confused about the informations, that are splitted in so many answers.

What i mean is: What is the actual solution, to get the best GPS System for Multiwii?

scanman

Post by scanman »

Hello Apoc, i am now going to try the All-in-one boards like this one, it is less to go wrong and one set of code . the GPS plugs straight in to the spare serial port.
I have ordered one and will see how it goes.
There are some other advantages to the i2c-nav board , but for general navigation maybe keep it simple is better.

http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_ ... oductname=

ApoC

Post by ApoC »

scanman

Post by scanman »

you dont need the "Extend Board for AIO PRO FC" because that just allows you to update the quad copter's GPS waypoints using your laptop while its flying. for basic gps return to home and pos hold just get the basic GPS "u-Blox CN-06 GPS Receiver"

albertoLG

U-BLOX CN06 V2

Post by albertoLG »

My CN-06 V2 has arrived, mounted and it's working fine, should I change something in the "u-center" software?

thank you

Deet

Post by Deet »

For those looking for a reliable I2C GPS board, look at the one from multiwiicopter.com. It also has an external Mag sensor which helps with accuracy.

http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/ ... iwiicopter

Mystic3D

GPS integration

Post by Mystic3D »

Deet wrote:For those looking for a reliable I2C GPS board, look at the one from multiwiicopter.com. It also has an external Mag sensor which helps with accuracy.

http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/ ... iwiicopter

Yes pretty much plug and play, just pid tuning, even for someone(me) a week into my first Multi.
Steep learning curve, but, flies great, just trying to get Baro and PH tuned with R 2.1

Sharkcopter

Post by Sharkcopter »

Hi
I am a bit confused, at the moment i have two Navigatron V.2 from Flytron that works with AXN1.51_2722_3329_384.1151100.5 and I2C_GPS_NAV-v2.1rc2 on Atmega 328.
Is this the last possibility for Navigatron V.2 or can improve ?
Thanks in advance

MalcolmX

Post by MalcolmX »

Sorry if i'm out of context,
but does anyone have a Fastrax iTrax comptatible GPS receiver that sends data to a Server via GPRS, so that you can use data to show GPS position and status in Google Maps?

Thanks in advance,

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Sharkcopter wrote:Hi
I am a bit confused, at the moment i have two Navigatron V.2 from Flytron that works with AXN1.51_2722_3329_384.1151100.5 and I2C_GPS_NAV-v2.1rc2 on Atmega 328.
Thanks in advance

You can update your GPS module firmware to AXN1.51_2776_3329_384.1151100.5_v19 and enable MTK_BINARY19... ATM this is the best that you can get from your hw.

PonyoFS

Post by PonyoFS »

Hi,
would it be possible to use the i2c sonar (like SRF08) without slowing down the process?
I have actually a navigatron and it's so hard to connect something on the unused inputs of 328.

realpastaman

Post by realpastaman »

EOSBandi wrote:
Thanks in advance

You can update your GPS module firmware to AXN1.51_2776_3329_384.1151100.5_v19 and enable MTK_BINARY19... ATM this is the best that you can get from your hw.

Hi I wonder if someone can help me? Trying to get the best out of my Navigatron V.2 I managed to updates its firmware to AXN1.51_2776_3329_384.1151100.5_v19 ok! Thats the good news!
The bad news is that when I use minigps it seems that it only communicates at 38400 I also noticed that the red led on the Navigatron starts flashing and then stops completely. Not daunted I uploaded I2CGPS - Inteligent GPS and NAV module for MultiWii by EOSBandi V2.1 to the Navigatron after #define GPS_SERIAL_SPEED 115200 and #define MTK were set.

On Multiwii r1315 I have done #define MTK_BINARY19 - result no fix! :( and Navigatron red led is off.

Ive tried to reflash the Navigatron back to how it was but can no longer flash it ? Can someone please help? Have i bricked my Navigatron? and why does it now only auto detect with minigps @ 38400 and no longer updates or reports its firmware version :(

Any help would be much appreciated thanks

realpastaman

Post by realpastaman »

realpastaman wrote:
EOSBandi wrote:
Thanks in advance

Hi I wonder if someone can help me? Trying to get the best out of my Navigatron V.2 I managed to updates its firmware to AXN1.51_2776_3329_384.1151100.5_v19 ok! Thats the good news!
The bad news is that when I use minigps it seems that it only communicates at 38400 I also noticed that the red led on the Navigatron starts flashing and then stops completely. Not daunted I uploaded I2CGPS - Inteligent GPS and NAV module for MultiWii by EOSBandi V2.1 to the Navigatron after #define GPS_SERIAL_SPEED 115200 and #define MTK were set.

On Multiwii r1315 I have done #define MTK_BINARY19 - result no fix! :( and Navigatron red led is off.

Ive tried to reflash the Navigatron back to how it was but can no longer flash it ? Can someone please help? Have i bricked my Navigatron? and why does it now only auto detect with minigps @ 38400 and no longer updates or reports its firmware version :(

Any help would be much appreciated thanks

Sorry all, I forgot to do blink sketch before using minigps again ! Now the Navigatron when query by minigps gives me AXN_1.51 2276 and communicates on 115200 :) So I guess the AXN1.51_2776_3329_384.1151100.5_v19 firmware is working fine -

With blink sketch on the Navigatron, the red led on the top of the Navigatron blinks until it aquires sats and then goes out - Is this correct?

My problem now is exactly which sketch to upload to the Flytron?

What to change on on the multiwii r1315/6 and flytron when I enable MTK_BINARY19 ?

Should be easy for someone - sorry to be so thick!

vineetaquarius

Post by vineetaquarius »

hi all this is the first time i am posting some thing on this forum , pardon me if i am over ruling this forum rule
guys please help

i have been trying to make gps works now , with different baud setting , but no luck yet

please advise what to edit

gps connections

gnd - gnd
vcc - 5 volts
gps rx - aip pro v2.0 tx2
gps tx - rx2

board

aio pro v 2.0

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...5&productname=

gps

u-Blox CN-06 GPS Receiver V2.0

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...3&productname=

software

multiwii 2.1

now what is the correct baud rate and wiring please some body let me know who have got it worked

do i need ubox and ftdi also ? , i read some where that there is no need to set this gps as it is already configured.

ps : i am using v2 for both board and gps

please any body

realpastaman

Post by realpastaman »

EOSBandi wrote:
Thanks in advance

Having had a chance to get more familiar with the Navigatron V.2 from Flytron I do not think it will work when updated to AXN1.51_2776_3329_384.1151100.5_v19
it seems that SBAS is not properly set by minigps tool after down powering the Flytron SBAS is no longer set. With version AXN1.51_2722_3329_384.1151100.5 SBAS is set OK. Does anyone else find this?