Max Throttle Lift issues

zach

Max Throttle Lift issues

Post by zach »

Hello all,

I've been trying to config / research my way through my issue with no luck so my final resort is to see if you guys mite have any suggestions... Now I've tried searching through this forum but maybe being new to the Multiwii I'm unable to to do proper search terms to get what I'm looking for..

First let me give you a little back ground, I've been flying my KK 3.0 board for about 6 months and absolutely fell in love with the hobby. I then noticed that what I could do with the KK board and the feature sets it offered lacked so I decided to look around for another alternative after spending some time reading I decided to go with the multiwii Crius SE board my other hardware includes

400mm home built towl rack frame
Emax 2822 1200KV motors
Mystery 30A ESC
10x4 prop
2600 3S @ 30C battery / also run a 4000 3S @ 60C
DX6i TX / orange receiver "RX" from HK

when I was running my Quad on the KK board I could full throttle and get very nice lift with lots of power, very fast quad when I made the switch to the Multiwii I get to half throttle and any thing past that the motors make the sound like they are working at their hardest but I barley get any lift almost as if I went from hovering to just a notch higher just slowly get higher...

I've tried adjusting my MAXTHROTTLE range with no luck moving it from a MAX or 2000 to 1600 still just when I go full throttle the motors start to hist and make a lot of noise like they are working hard.

before each flight I make sure to calibrate the Gryos and ACC *mode2* stick on the left bottom left stick on the right straight down repeat stick on the left to upper left corner and stick on the right straight down... I've adjusted my travels to 120% as the instructions indicated (min throttle and max throttle).

Besides the lift issues I'm having, the quad flys great and I don't even have ACC's enabled and I almost get no drift what so ever...

Thanks for your time!!

--Z

Noctaro

Re: Max Throttle Lift issues

Post by Noctaro »

Hey,
i think i understand your problem. I got the same behaviour if using unbalanced props. It seems ITG3200 is very sensitive, even if turning lpf down to 44khz. With well balanced props i can get enough power to pull up. Unbalanced i can barely hover and get pushed down by windgusts with no chance to counteract. It seems like a very fast wobble of death (very small oscillations). I have tried different PID settings, but for now it seem the only solution for me were well balanced props. Still looking for some ohter solution, as i can remember my WMP+ did not behave like this, even on very cheap props. Its also a problem that props may become inbalanced when beeing hit by a windgust, so the best balanced prop may cause those vibrations.

greetz Noc

chris ables

Post by chris ables »

I have also seen this when props installed upside down ! Be sure lettering on prop is facing upward ! If lettering down , they do not create as much lift !

zach

Post by zach »

Thanks for the suggestions guys

I've balanced my props and motors! and the board sits on a 1/4 inch thick foam pad... I think my issues are with my PID settings as I've not really gotten into full understanding of these settings I guess I will need to start playing around with them to see if this improves my performance. As im not really looking for stable flight I really enjoy the aerobatics and fast flight owning a KK board I quickly learned the value of well balanced props and motors! any suggestions with pid settings would be wonderful...

Thanks again for the help

--Z

chris ables

Post by chris ables »

I fly a crius board and i fly aerobatics with it ! My pitch and roll pid's are P-( 2.0 ) I- (.020 ) D-( 10 ) and the rate box at the end of pid's is .020 . The rc rate box is on 95 and the rc expo box is 40 . That setup flies great for me with this board ! :D

zach

Post by zach »

chris ables wrote:I fly a crius board and i fly aerobatics with it ! My pitch and roll pid's are P-( 2.0 ) I- (.020 ) D-( 10 ) and the rate box at the end of pid's is .020 . The rc rate box is on 95 and the rc expo box is 40 . That setup flies great for me with this board ! :D

Thanks I will try adjusting my pid settings to reflect yours and see if this helps!!!

--Z

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

Did you ever solve this issue? I am having the same problem with almost no lift when flying on 3s. With 4s I get plenty of lift, but I know I can get much much more from my KK2 board. Flashing MPNG solved this issue but with MW2.1 my quad barely hovers.

scrat

Post by scrat »

subaru4wd wrote:Did you ever solve this issue? I am having the same problem with almost no lift when flying on 3s. With 4s I get plenty of lift, but I know I can get much much more from my KK2 board. Flashing MPNG solved this issue but with MW2.1 my quad barely hovers.

Try the latest dev version. I have xxd 2212 motors with 9x4.5 props. Quad with battery wighs 940g and hovers on 52% of throttle.

doughboy

Post by doughboy »

I think if flashing using megapirate firmware resolves the issue, then this rules out hardware as the problem.
if subaru4wd can test flashing using latest mw dev, then this problem can be isolated.

zach

Post by zach »

subaru4wd wrote:Did you ever solve this issue? I am having the same problem with almost no lift when flying on 3s. With 4s I get plenty of lift, but I know I can get much much more from my KK2 board. Flashing MPNG solved this issue but with MW2.1 my quad barely hovers.

I never did, and after re-flashing and testing pid setting my multiwii failed completely no TX/RX transmission from computer to the board - also tried my bluetooth dongle board was toast I sent it back to the seller witch they replaced it free of charge but I've not messed with the board since. I'm not looking for super stable flights i'm a sport flyer I like to be crazy in the air KK5.5 gives me this ability at a low cost so destroying it is not a expensive replacement. I will give multiwii another chance down the road but for now its collecting dust in a shoe box.

--Z

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

I would love to hear if either you or subaru resolved this issue.

Zach, did you ever adjust your LPF?

zach

Post by zach »

No I never tried messing with that setting... I did try changing the defult 400mhz on the ESC to 100mhz I thought maybe i had crappy ESC's but still nothing seem to get me able to really just launch off...

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

400mhz is what you want, but do try the LPF setting, if the acc is picking up any vibrations at all and translating them to the FC, it could be causing your ESCs to adjust for the vibrations so fast they are resisting thrust change.

zach

Post by zach »

I c I've balanced props and motors but there is still some vibrations also this was done on my towel rack frame since then i've upgraded to the DJI 350 mite have to give it a try.

Thanks,

--Z

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

doughboy wrote:I think if flashing using megapirate firmware resolves the issue, then this rules out hardware as the problem.
if subaru4wd can test flashing using latest mw dev, then this problem can be isolated.

I hate flying "dev version" software. But I suppose I can give it a shot.

Not sure where to even find the Dev software. Is there a changelog somewhere to see what type of developments are being made?

I have just been flying with 4s batteries and dealing with the issue.

And by the way, this board flew great with MegaPirate on it & 3s... but i had issues with flight modes so I switched back to MWC 2.1

scrat

Post by scrat »

I'm flying with dev_r1295 and for me it's working.

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

Where do i find dev versions? Is there a place I can see a changelog of some kind?

scrat

Post by scrat »

Here http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/source/list - http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/source/detail?r=1298

If you're on Win machine then use TortoiseSVN so you can download all file directly from here: http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/sourc ... Wii_shared