Alternative ESC firmware (reflashing)

ziss_dm

Re: Alternative ESC firmware (reflashing)

Post by ziss_dm »

This ones:
F40A.jpg

If you want to switch-off safety, you can change:

Code: Select all

void wait_for_power_on() {
  wait_for(rx.rcp_start + US_TO_TICKS(cfg.rcp_deadband_us), rx.rcp_max, 15);
}

relpace 15 to something smaller (1 will give you start after just 1 ppm frame).

regards,
ziss_dm

jy0933

Post by jy0933 »

reuploaded the vid

at about 40s i showed the terrible whining .. any clue why?

also

thx for the tip on turning the safety off

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP9WDSkrEFY
This video has been removed by the user.

Have you soldered back cap? ;)

jy0933

Post by jy0933 »

sorry... i kept messing up

here's the right link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRbNtvuEat4

the vid uses a new F20A removed the cap (the 3 left to pads)

it seems jot.damaging motor.. just sound like broken ... might be problematic when there is really a problem with bearings

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi,
This is normal that there are increased noise on low power, but in your case it looks like too much. There are lot of reasons for this: loose windings on the motor, winding short, frame resonance, etc..

For the reference this is my setup:
ESC: F20A
Motor: NTM 28-26A 1200kv
http://youtu.be/rCrXZJkY0RQ

jy0933

Post by jy0933 »

i guess it might be resonating with that carbon/nylon prop.... got similar problem on other motors....i'll try plastic prop see if there is any change

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

BTW: Is it complimentary or low side PWM version?

jy0933

Post by jy0933 »

low side i believe

escc.JPG

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi y0933,

i'll try plastic prop see if there is any change

Try without garbage bin under frame. ;) But I do not think, that there are something to worry about. Yes, SDM makes noise at low power and near 100%, this is a price for higher resolution and higher efficiency. But again, under load other types noises are much higher (prop, commutation, torque ripple, etc..). So, in the real flight noise emission of the SDM is pretty much the same as 18khz PWM, but efficiency higher.

regards,
ziss_dm

thebgrian

Post by thebgrian »

thebgrian wrote:Thank you, ziss_dm for the great work, and for giving us another option:)
I would like to confirm that the BEMF capacitors for HobbyKing F-20/30 are the three capacitors in line, next to the pads used for flashing. I think I found that in the rcdesign.ru forum, but can't find it again.

Found it. It was in one of the posts of ziss_dm on another forum. In case somebody else need this information - HobbyKing F-20/30 BEMF capacitors:
Attachments
HobbyKing F-20/30 BEMF capacitors
HobbyKing F-20/30 BEMF capacitors

S3NS3

Post by S3NS3 »

Hello!

I have just finished my newest small Multiwii with Nanowii and Simonk flashed Blue Series 12A N-FET ESC and 8" props.
All seems to be fine! It flys realllyyyy welll so far! :)

Full throttle in my hand seems fine too. Outdoors i cant try because the bad weather.
The question is now must i remove the three caps? It seems that all running fine... :?:
But i know about problems with the original Quax firmware. I have an ARM-o-Kopter with Blue Series flashed with UART Quax and on that the motors stuck hard and get hot very fast if i gave full throttle with the copter in my hands. After removing the caps all runs fine for over a year so far. And Simonk is based on quax...
But i don´t find a clear information that the simonk reacts the same and must have removed this caps too!

Should i or not? :)

scrat

Post by scrat »

If you're using simonk FW then you don't need to remove three caps. But if you'l use ziss_dm's fw - then yes. Remove them.

S3NS3

Post by S3NS3 »

Ah, great! Because it would be a lot of work to remove this three ones build in in my frame... ;)

Thx!

I have some other Blue Series 40A here but on that i have removed the caps because the older quax firmware. Any known problems with the opposite, removed caps with simonk?

sim

Post by sim »

No problems with them removed. It advances the timing slightly and helps starting on some motors. I just don't typically bother mentioning to remove them since it causes all of this these questions and confusion. ;)

By the way, the safety feature to prevent accidental starting...I just went with a very fast timeout instead of a minimum count of start pulses. Maybe people would like that better, and it doesn't hide bugs like the i86 full throttle bug, it just makes it less dangerous.

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi Sim,

We have not finished discussion about EEPROM block. ;) Could you please refresh my memory, what was a problem? Currently I'm converting phisical units to the internal representation on the load, so I can easily change it. But, what was a point? ;)

Another question would be: Is it ok to strip USBLinker bootloader from your FW and include it in flash tool? ;)

regards,
ziss_dm

S3NS3

Post by S3NS3 »

sim wrote:No problems with them removed. It advances the timing slightly and helps starting on some motors. I just don't typically bother mentioning to remove them since it causes all of this these questions and confusion. ;)

By the way, the safety feature to prevent accidental starting...I just went with a very fast timeout instead of a minimum count of start pulses. Maybe people would like that better, and it doesn't hide bugs like the i86 full throttle bug, it just makes it less dangerous.

Thanks for that info. This is great, so i can use my bunch of Blue Series ESC´s where i want - UART or PPM, simply flash your firmware and go, fantastic :D
Big thanks anyway for your work with the firmware. My new Wii, that i flyed yesterday very hard outdoors, runs really excellent. I have no fun copter since my X-BL some years ago that fly so good :D

jy0933

Post by jy0933 »

stupid question time.. i know i got stupid questions all the time :)

how is the break going to benefit multirotor?

from what i have seen.... the break works 1. reduce rpm to desire speed faster; 2. charge a bit of current back to battery...

it seems it might help to achieve better and faster response..

but has anyone actually used it in multirotor?

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi jy0933,

Which type of break you referring to? ;) There are couple of options around.

1) standard "plane" break - shorts the motor at zero throttle. Usefull for gliders, to reduce prop drag.
2) RC car regenerative - you can adjust "amount of break force". Usefull for cars.
3) Complimentary PWM - allows faster rotor deceleration, putting energy back to the battery. Usefull for multi-rotors.

regards,
ziss_dm

jy0933

Post by jy0933 »

yeah.. im talking about complimentary...

i mean.. how exactly does it benefit mr? acro or stable flight?

also
another quicky
about mystery and hk blueseries

from multiple sources saying they are identical.. but looking at the google spreadsheet...

mystery 12A is P/N fet using bs.hex
but
HK blueseries 12A is N fet using bs.nfet

just wonder if anyone can confirm about the fet/hex file to choose .. dont wanna burn out a good motor:)

thx

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

jy0933 wrote:yeah.. im talking about complimentary...
i mean.. how exactly does it benefit mr? acro or stable flight?
HK blueseries 12A is N fet using bs.nfet
just wonder if anyone can confirm about the fet/hex file to choose .. dont wanna burn out a good motor:)
thx

By using compPWM you will benefit in all modes by decreasing reaction time of motors to changed pulse from MWII controller (thus enabled higher P of all PID's) and you will get much more stable and locked-in feeling of flying.

Most of the ESC manufacturers have changed MCU or/and FET's over time so the only sure thing is to open ESC and check actual FET markings. Last time I burned 2 (old) HK blue series ESC's because old ones have P/N FET's and flashed them with N only flash (that corresponds to new ones).

Regards
Andrej

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

to get compiling working, I had to change the following because avr-objdump and avr-nm are not in my path:
(my TCHAIN and BOARD settings are specific for my layout only)

--- /wii-esc-ng-20-ro/trunk/makefile.avr   2012-12-17 12:55:14.000000000 +0100
+++ /81-wii-esc-v2-r480/trunk/makefile.avr   2012-12-17 13:53:19.000000000 +0100
@@ -1,16 +1,19 @@
 # System configuration - UNCOMMENT AS DESIRED

-TCHAIN=
+TCHAIN= /Volumes/Arduino-101/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/
 CC  = $(TCHAIN)avr-gcc
 CCP = $(TCHAIN)avr-g++
 OPT = -O2
 OBJCOPY = $(TCHAIN)avr-objcopy
+OBJDUMP = $(TCHAIN)avr-objdump
+NM = $(TCHAIN)avr-nm
 AR = $(TCHAIN)avr-ar
 RM = rm -rf
 SIZE = $(TCHAIN)avr-size
 AVRDUDE ?= c:/bin/avrdude
 COMPORT ?= com5
-BOARD ?= _BS_NFET_
+BOARD ?= _BS_
+#_BS_NFET_

# Add .d to Make's recognized suffixes.
 SUFFIXES += .d
@@ -70,8 +73,8 @@
    @$(OBJCOPY) -j free_flight_eep --change-section-lma free_flight_eep=0 -O ihex "$(OBJECT_DIR)/src/wii_esc_ng.o" "$(BIN_DIR)/conf/free_flight.eep"
    @$(OBJCOPY) -j ultra_pwm_eep --change-section-lma ultra_pwm_eep=0 -O ihex "$(OBJECT_DIR)/src/wii_esc_ng.o" "$(BIN_DIR)/conf/ultra_pwm.eep"
    @$(OBJCOPY) -j multiwii_eep --change-section-lma multiwii_eep=0 -O ihex "$(OBJECT_DIR)/src/wii_esc_ng.o" "$(BIN_DIR)/conf/multiwii.eep"
-   @avr-objdump -d -C "$(BIN_DIR)/$(OUT_FILE).elf" > "$(BIN_DIR)/$(OUT_FILE).asm"
-   @avr-nm -C -n -S -l "$(BIN_DIR)/$(OUT_FILE).elf" > "$(BIN_DIR)/$(OUT_FILE).mem"
+   @$(OBJDUMP) -d -C "$(BIN_DIR)/$(OUT_FILE).elf" > "$(BIN_DIR)/$(OUT_FILE).asm"
+   @$(NM) -C -n -S -l "$(BIN_DIR)/$(OUT_FILE).elf" > "$(BIN_DIR)/$(OUT_FILE).mem"
    @$(SIZE) --mcu=$(MCU) -C "$(BIN_DIR)/$(OUT_FILE).elf"
    @cp "$(BIN_DIR)/$(OUT_FILE).hex" "$(BIN_DIR)/$(call lc,$(patsubst _%_,%,$(BOARD))).hex"

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

solved now !
Hi,
I need some help again, please.
I have a F40-A, removed the bemf caps with some heat and some force.
Then I built bs.hex with extra #define COMP_PWM in config.h added.
Then uploaded two files:
- the bs.hex to flash and
- the conf/multiwii.eep to eeprom

avrdude reports back that fuses are (after eeprom upload)

avrdude: safemode: lfuse reads as 2E
avrdude: safemode: hfuse reads as C9
avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK

I do not want the bootloader.
Now here is the problem:
with attached limited power supply the flashed ESC does a rising 4 tones (?) sequence; but it never moves when applying throttle.
What did I miss?

update 1:
for sake of ESC I reflashed to simonk fw I had at hand (again bs.hex) and ESC works ok. So it is not broken from my removing the caps. Must be my setup thing with wii-esc then?

update 2:
Of course I want the full range (closely to 0-2000us) on the input signal. From looking at config.data.h it seems I would have to use extended_eep for the eeprom part.

update 3:
from looking at precompiled package it seems there is no bs.hex with COMP_PWM, so I remove that.
the kkmulticopterflashtool gives md5 checksum error so no luck there.
so it seems I need to set the fuses differently from their defaults for wii-esc to work?

summary:
with no bootlaoder it seems I need not change the fuses; using the extended.eep for bs.hex (no COMP_PWM) and a MWC configured for EXTENDED.MOTOR.RANGE did the trick. The motor is running now (maybe max rpm is lower than before?).
Startup sequence is rising tones sequence _plus_ one separated beep.

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi,

I had to change the following because avr-objdump and avr-nm are not in my path

Tnx, fixed that..

my TCHAIN and BOARD settings are specific for my layout only

the idea is to pass them through parameters:

make -f Makefile.avr TCHAIN=E:/\!Work/Unsorted/arduino-1.0/hardware/tools/avr/bin/  MCU=atmega8 BOARD=_BS40A_ F_CPU=16000000

BTW: You can use Code::Blocks for that. (should be available for Mac aswell);)

Startup sequence is rising tones sequence

Should be 6 tones, it is beeping using all 6 commutation steps.

_plus_ one separated beep

This is "armed" notification.

maybe max rpm is lower than before?.

You can adjust timing in EEPROM.

with no bootlaoder it seems I need not change the fuses

True, unless you want to preserve EEPROM, or something like that. The recommended hfuse, also in distro package. ;)

BTW: Do you still need bs.hex with comp pwm? ;)
http://wii-esc.googlecode.com/files/bs-comp-pwm.zip

regards,
ziss_dm

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

ziss_dm wrote:
maybe max rpm is lower than before?.

You can adjust timing in EEPROM.
with no bootlaoder it seems I need not change the fuses

True, unless you want to preserve EEPROM, or something like that. The recommended hfuse, also in distro package. ;)

from opt_noboot.hf:

:01000000C33C
:00000001FF

I did not understand how that would map to avrdude's hfuse and lfuse values :(
BTW: Do you still need bs.hex with comp pwm? ;)
http://wii-esc.googlecode.com/files/bs-comp-pwm.zip

thank you kindly! Complimentary PWM would have some benfits, right? I only made a mental note it was a good thing to have but forgot the exact advantages. I will use this ESC together with a 2223-2900kv motor on 3S in a fbl heli with 325mm blades.

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

@Hamburger: Do you expect some important improvements with this flashed ESC on CP heli?! (Does this firmware works same way as governor?!)

But be careful since those (flashed) ESC's are lacking soft start that is almost mandatory on CP heli.

Regards
Andrej

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

crashlander wrote:Do you expect some important improvements with this flashed ESC on CP heli?! (Does this firmware works same way as governor?!)

I had problems with what I think was the LVC (low voltage cutoff) sometimes during the first minute. I simply would not get enough power to lift off. With the wii-esc the esc as possible source will be out of the equation and I will know for sure what caused this. My MWii FC has voltage and capacity monitoring, so I have no need for that in the ESC firmware.
No governor. It is a feature MWii is still lacking but it may find its way into the code, same as HeadingHold ...
But be careful since those (flashed) ESC's are lacking soft start that is almost mandatory on CP heli.

yes, I gave it some thought. I hope the minthrottle can be set low enough. I will find out soon.

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

@Hamburger

Just run something like this:

avrdude -c arduino -P COM1 -b 115200 -p m8 -u -U hfuse:w:opt_noboot.hf:i

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

@Andrej , ziss_dm,
thanks for your help.
I got the ESC reflashed (again) now with the CompPWM version of bs.hex, the extended config and the hfuse set.
Motor & ESC work with MWii now.

As a side note: flashing was constantly killing my usb bus (too much power drain?), It is way more reliable when I power ESC from external power and do remove Vcc pin from the usbasp programmer 6pin adapter.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

sorry; next step, next problem:
setup is F40-A with bs.hex CompPWM version, extended params, connected to MWii with 2223-2900kv motor on 3S.

ESC gets HOT - hot as in so hot cannot touch
I am only testing without load for now. It is not the draw of the 4 servos on the SBEC - having everything connected for some time leaves the ESC mildly warm to the touch. But running the motor freely with only a pinion on the shaft at 25% to 50% throttle drives the ESC temperature within 30 seconds beyond comfortable to the touch. I dare not install and put it under load (read crash the heli).
Any ideas what I should try and change?
Update: running at 70% and above (again no load) seems to keep the ESC cooler - still getting pretty warm but not hot. So maybe it is safe after all - but gets me thinking if this was in a multicopter then the motors would run at below 50% much of the time

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

tried using the comPWM F40-A - it gets way too hot.
Any ideas what I should try and change?

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

switched to low side pwm and the heat problem is gone. Cool, ESC is cool now. :)

@Andrej: with the following settings I get a real soft start when arming. My trottle curve is 0-50-70-80-90.

#define MINCOMMAND 1008
#define MINTHROTTLE 1080
#define MAXTHROTTLE 2000
#define EXT_MOTOR_RANGE

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

have flown 3 packs in 5deg Celsius and works real well.
ESC stays cool (the weather may help some), and
spoolup feels real good, and
the drops in power during first minute (probably due to LVC of stock firmware) are gone too.
Loving it.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

would it be possible to add governor to the firmware?
With governor I mean Governor as in 'constant rpm''? So after setup each pwm would resemble a fixed rpm? Maybe top 5% of pwm ignore rpm but always go full rpm?
From earlier code I remember a note saying that ESC does not know or care about rpm but electric rpm (factor in #poles?), that should not be a problem, we can count #poles and do the math during setup/compile/config.

I was told BLheli does this but the current sources are for silabs only and no multiwii extended range support :(

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi Hamburger,

That depends on your willinnes to be involved. ;) Currently I do not have much time nor test rig for this, but I can setup brunch and create requred prototypes/stubs for governor/closed loop control. The FW is written in C, so it should be relativelly easy to create PI controller for RPM control.

regards,
ziss_dm

agressiva

Post by agressiva »

Anyone using towerpro 30amp complementary PWM ?
The ESC work some seconds with strange SYNTH sound then the capacitors (100uf/25v) explode.

I tried 3 esc and all have the same problem.

i have another 8 hobbyking 20amp esc working fine with complementary PWM.

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi agressiva,

Is it tp_nfet fw? And TowerPro with BL8003 FET drivers and all n-FETs?
Theoretically should work: http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/11561 ... ntry141323

regards,
ziss_dm

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Hi ziss_dm,
ziss_dm wrote:That depends on your willinnes to be involved. ;) Currently I do not have much time nor test rig for this, but I can setup brunch and create requred prototypes/stubs for governor/closed loop control. The FW is written in C, so it should be relativelly easy to create PI controller for RPM control.

I have a spare F-40A esc and motor H2223-2900 waiting for tests. Wondering how to configure the min and max rpms?
Anyway do not feel rushed, the hobbytable is loaded to the brim already.
Cheers, Hamburger

ronco

Post by ronco »

Hamburger wrote:Hi ziss_dm,
ziss_dm wrote:That depends on your willinnes to be involved. ;) Currently I do not have much time nor test rig for this, but I can setup brunch and create requred prototypes/stubs for governor/closed loop control. The FW is written in C, so it should be relativelly easy to create PI controller for RPM control.

I have a spare F-40A esc and motor H2223-2900 waiting for tests. Wondering how to configure the min and max rpms?
Anyway do not feel rushed, the hobbytable is loaded to the brim already.
Cheers, Hamburger

Hi,

that isnt that hard ;) you need the commutation time and max pwm.

one thing that may be different .. if the RPM goes up, the commutation time goes down so it may be more simple to set it positive for the PI controller .. (max commutime-commutime)..

you just need to save a min commutationtime (minRPM) and a max commutationtime (max RPM) in calibration

so then Err = min commutationtime+((max commutationtime/PWM resolution)*PWM input)-current commutationtime

PWM = P + I

regards

Felix

agressiva

Post by agressiva »

ziss_dm wrote:Hi agressiva,

Is it tp_nfet fw? And TowerPro with BL8003 FET drivers and all n-FETs?
Theoretically should work: http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/11561 ... ntry141323

regards,
ziss_dm

Exactly this Ziss.
the link from openpilot are broken : http://wii-esc.googlecode.com/files/tp_ ... m_test.zip

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi agressiva,

The changes are included in latest release, so I have removed test binary. Wiuthout oscilloscope, it is really hard to tell what is going on (and I still do not have such boards), but comp-pwm is defenetly hard on capacitor as a inductive kick-back is discharging throug it on every PWM cycle. So if you do not have other issues (excessive current, FET's overheating) you can try to replace it with better one. Something like low-ESR, 330-500uf, 50v should be ok.

regards,
ziss_dm

sim

Post by sim »

Hi, aggressiva! What power supply were you testing with, or was that with a LiPo? If using a bench supply, it may have not sunk any of the current/over-voltage as the motor slowed down, but I would not expect the capacitor to go unless it was well over its rating for some time. Perhaps it was damaged first by bench testing, then went on the LiPo?

Hamburger, which F-40A do you have? Blue board (newer), or green like mine? http://0x.ca/sim/esc/HK_F-40A/ I was surprised to see that the F-60A needed a few more nops added for dead-time, even with the IR2101S drivers. Maybe the F-40A is similar. I will test mine if yours looks to have the same FETs.

Cheers all :)

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

sim:
for both of my F-40A the board is red (with red heat shrink). Bought those in June 2012.

agressiva

Post by agressiva »

Hi Ziss,
i make some tests and one ESC work fine ... all other work very, very hot.
I will order some low ESR caps.

Sim, i not used power supply or lamp bulb because i beliave the firmware work good as i tested in other ESCs.

agressiva

Post by agressiva »

Well,
as some people know, i have make the first MOD to QUAX frmware work with towerpro 30 and 40 amp (i2c version).

2 weeks ago i am searching for news about DIY ESC firmware and find Wii-ESC firmware.
This is the best i ever used.

i am a bit confused about "what i will use to compile the firmware and make some mods). :roll:

i found a zip with CODEBLOCKS and the code from SVN.

Its exactly the same code ?
i asking about this because i not find and cmd to compile a towerpro esc in the SVN.

I like to make a i2c interface for wii-esc because i use i2c on my flight controllers.
best regards.

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi agressiva,

You need avr-gcc (WinAVR) to build this project. I'm using latest official one.

The easiest way to build:
1)Download Code::Blocks (in downloads)
2)Open project wii-esc-ng.cbp
3)Setup path to avr-gcc in Code::Blocks

Aalternatively, you can build using make file:

make -f Makefile.avr MCU=atmega8 BOARD=_TP_  F_CPU=16000000

regards,
ziss_dm

ezio

Odp: Alternative ESC firmware (reflashing)

Post by ezio »

hi
I have a quick question.
Do I need to remove bemf caps ? And if yes, they need to be just removed or replaced with something?
I have tested Wii esc with caps and it works correctly.
I have blueseries 20A with hexatronik dt750.

Bart

crashlander

Re: Odp: Alternative ESC firmware (reflashing)

Post by crashlander »

ezio wrote:hi
Do I need to remove bemf caps ? And if yes, they need to be just removed or replaced with something?
Bart

Removing is enough but ziss_dm says: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=516&start=420#p22593

Regards
Andrej

alll

Post by alll »

I compiled latest wii-esc ver. in Eclipse. Uploaded the firmware, got the start beeps, but it stuck/ don't pass further.
Is there an easy way to debug? I saw some debug directives?

Thanks,
manu

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Did you compare your eclipse binary against arduino binary successfully?

alll

Post by alll »

I don't pass this line :
void check_for_stick_cal() {
if (!cfg.stick_cal_dis) {
wait_for(rx.rcp_min, rx.rcp_max, 10);

Even if i compile with CodeBlocks , same, only start beep!

I do have the SimonK bootloader (usb linker) installed on the esc, and use the usb-linker to upload the firmware.

manu