Paris Board mandatory

Polleke

Paris Board mandatory

Post by Polleke »

Hi all,
I'm totaly newbee at this, so excuse me if I ask the "wrong" question. :mrgreen:
I want to build a Arduino WII X-copter, but without the Paris Board?
(Just trying to save some $ in these hard times, you know) ;)
Greetz, Polleke

miniquad

Re: Paris Board mandatory

Post by miniquad »

It is not mandatory. You can connect the sensors (via level converter if needed), receiver pins, motor esc connections to arduino uno/mini/mega directly. Or you can make your own pcb board to achieve the same. Paris board just organizes the connections for you, similar to what an arduino shield does which might save you a some wiring mess.

cardboard

Post by cardboard »

check out my tri, http://wbb.multiwii.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=510
i built my own board and it works really well. all my components are now interchangeable as there all plugged in to not hardwired.

Polleke

Post by Polleke »

Thank you miniquad and cardboard,
If I understand the layout the right way.
I need to connect the "+" and the "-" wire to the RX + and -
Do I need to connect ONLY the "signal" wires from the RX to the Arduino points 2,4,5,6,7 ?
in this plan
X-quad Arduino.jpg

cardboard

Post by cardboard »

Ill try and say this in the most straight forward way I can. You need to power the arduino board. you need to power the RX. so both the arduino and rx need + and -.
This is the tricky, but important bit.... you need to have the arduino and the reciver sharing a common ground. if they are both being powered by the same power source thats already taken care of.
If not you will also need a ground (or-) between the RX to the arduino (as well as the signal wires of course).
The diagram above is a perfect example of how to wire it up. If you follow that exactly you wont have a problem.

Also note only one ESC is being used to power everything, Im not 100% sure why you cant use more then one but id imagine its a loop/feedback issue that would end in bad things.

You dont need to connect pin 7 if you do not intend to switch modes. I set my tri to level mode in the GUI and it stays in that mode perminently. Means I can fly on 4 channel radio gear.