MWC R1232 has a bug in ALT reading

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
dramida

MWC R1232 has a bug in ALT reading

Post by dramida »

Using Crius AIOP with MS6511 baro on Mega 2560, Altitude graph shows strange negatives values some times or even flat after a while :!:
Rolling back on previous MWC 1171 and everything works normal on the same controller.

nhadrian

Re: MWC R1232 has a bug in ALT reading

Post by nhadrian »

Hi,

the same here. After uploading the new R1232, alt shows constantly 0.00 .
Rolling back to R1177 shows real datas.

BR
Adrian

doughboy

Post by doughboy »

looks like r1188 has some major baro code change

Sebbi

Post by Sebbi »

The code changed to show relative (to ground level) altitude and is reading the barometer at a much faster rate now. It should be 0m at ground and can go to negative values with changing air pressure (which is ok). However it shouldn't show 0.00 all the time, what board/sensor combination do you use, nhadrian?

dramida

Post by dramida »

Immediately after software update to R1232, GUI showed on ALT graph -25000m or something like that and a wild baro graph with ups and downs, then i rebooted and worked nice for a while, i was impressed how smooth worked. In this period I observer that wen calibrating giro, the ALT graph had a sudden upwards spike.
After a few minutes i observed a flat graph....0...and stayed there regardless what i did: reset, blowing air in sensor, shaking it.
There were no indication of I2C errors, the other sensors worked as expected.

Sebbi

Post by Sebbi »

dramida wrote:Immediately after software update to R1232, GUI showed on ALT graph -25000m or something like that and a wild baro graph with ups and downs, then i rebooted and worked nice for a while, i was impressed how smooth worked. In this period I observer that wen calibrating giro, the ALT graph had a sudden upwards spike.
After a few minutes i observed a flat graph....0...and stayed there regardless what i did: reset, blowing air in sensor, shaking it.
There were no indication of I2C errors, the other sensors worked as expected.

That is strange, I am also using the Mega2560 with the MS6511 baro and haven't had these problems (just checked out r1232). There is an upward spike of around 60 cm when calibrating gyro or accelerometer, but you can't really trust any values during calibration. A flat 0 graph shouldn't be possible (only for the first 10 seconds after bootup). Can you reproduce this behaviour?

I'll let it sit on the floor for a few minutes to see how altitude changes.

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

Hi,

I can reproduce this every time... I holded on the floor for 1 minute and still 0.00 :(
BTW I printed the baroPressure/10 to debug , it seems valid data, so the reading of MS5611BA is working. Something should be with the calculations after...

BR
Adrian

dramida

Post by dramida »

I forgot to mention, as octo's are not quite common, the crius FC is configured in Octo flat plus. Does anyone have a working altitude on R1232 MWC? I need to hear some success stories :)

polo_fly2

Post by polo_fly2 »

Hello,

I´d like to test the new r1232 but :-( its just 10 bytes to big for my config ( i2c-GPS,HMC 5843,BMP 085 32u4 - nanowii board )

" Binary sktch size: 28,682 bytes ( of a 28,672 byte maximum) "

I have already undifened evrething of the unneeded usual cofig.h settings.

Does anybody know how to spare some more bytes of the code but without loosing the GPS,BARO + MAG on 32u4. ( dev r 1143 works already very fine on Nananowii)

thank you
Georg

Sebbi

Post by Sebbi »

I had a version which combines gyro and acc readout for the mpu6050 (nanowii) that saves a few bytes, but it is not yet included in MultiWii.

@nhadrian can you post you config.h settings and mabye debug the following values:
- baroGroundPressure (should be whatever the ground pressure is, after 10 seconds)
- BaroAlt (unfiltered alttitude)

Maybe your plattform initialisation is taking longer than 10 seconds so baroGroundPressure stays 0 ... that would explain why the altitude shows a 0 too ... I planned to include some code that would reset baroGroundPressure when arming the copter/plane, that could work or you test different values for INIT_DELAY in Imu.ino (maybe 20000000? for a 20 seconds delay?)

jevermeister

Post by jevermeister »

polo_fly2 wrote:Hello,

I´d like to test the new r1232 but :-( its just 10 bytes to big for my config ( i2c-GPS,HMC 5843,BMP 085 32u4 - nanowii board )

" Binary sktch size: 28,682 bytes ( of a 28,672 byte maximum) "

I have already undifened evrething of the unneeded usual cofig.h settings.

Does anybody know how to spare some more bytes of the code but without loosing the GPS,BARO + MAG on 32u4. ( dev r 1143 works already very fine on Nananowii)

thank you
Georg

have you installes a buzzer or a pl?

polo_fly2

Post by polo_fly2 »

jevermeister wrote:have you installes a buzzer or a pl?

hi jevermeister,

have no buzzer, no lcd, no vbat , (what is pl ?)

but I got the right size for 32u4, ( I could undefine this one : //#define DEADBAND 6 )

now the sketch is 18,668 bytes ( 4 bytes left ), so I can test now..

anyway thank you for thinking about :-)

georg

jevermeister

Post by jevermeister »

pl is a pilotlamp.

You should undefine as much as possible or get a bigger FC.

I know this sucks, but if you are using GPS and stuff you should invest some money into a new FC.

And if you are spending money into a new fc: perhaps get a 32bit controller. (you are VERY welcome TC)...

Nils

polo_fly2

Post by polo_fly2 »

jevermeister wrote:pl is a pilotlamp.

You should undefine as much as possible or get a bigger FC.

Nils

you are right. Before it was not my plan to go with all that GPS stuff. But I like the Nanowii, it is the third one I use, of course
with GPS, its on extreme limit, but it works. I had the Magneto and Baro since release MW1.6, but did not use them because it was a bit frustating.

Now the things changed rapidly positive with all the new code. For he next copter I will go probably again to a bigger Processor again.
For my current one I am too lazy to disassamble everything, It flies too good already. :-)

But sorry: this thread is relating to the "bug in ALT reading". I did not want to distract from :-)

georg

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

Sebbi wrote:@nhadrian can you post you config.h settings and mabye debug the following values:
- baroGroundPressure (should be whatever the ground pressure is, after 10 seconds)
- BaroAlt (unfiltered alttitude)
Maybe your plattform initialisation is taking longer than 10 seconds so baroGroundPressure stays 0 ... that would explain why the altitude shows a 0 too ... I planned to include some code that would reset baroGroundPressure when arming the copter/plane, that could work or you test different values for INIT_DELAY in Imu.ino (maybe 20000000? for a 20 seconds delay?)

Hi,

I tried to raise the Interval to 20s, still the same.
I plotted the BaroAlt and baroGroundPressure values, both are 0 for more than 2 minutes... :(:(
The raw pressure data is valid, when I move the copter up or down it reacts as it should.

BR
Adrian

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

Hi!
I have freeimu 0.3.5 MS running with promini and altitude is shown correctly.

By the way i did two cut down versions of the current dev without sacrificing any functionality, but it will get slower (slight increase of cycletime).

I did a -58 Byte Version and a -222Byte Version - the more bytes saved the slower it will probably get. No severe changes, just avoiding some datatype conversions in althold and a shortcut in main PID controller for small values (so time wasted for small values, but cutting the detection saves bytes). Perhaps users on promicro benefit from it. Try it if you want. Own risk - as always. Just make a hand-test to make sure everything works like expected.

So long
Rob
Attachments
MultiWii_2_1_dev_r1232_SHORT.zip
(247.71 KiB) Downloaded 215 times

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

It looks like the code works on mini based FCs, maybe there is something BUG in the code which is related only to MEGA boards?

Sebbi

Post by Sebbi »

Well, I "developed" that part of the code on a mega2560 and it works for me.

As long as baroGroundPressure is 0 the altitude will always be 0. Can you also plot/debug baroPressureSum on your copter? That should be around 20 times the value of baroPressure. You already wrote baroPressure seems valid ... very weird bug :/

Can you post your config.h? Maybe there is something interfering?

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

Hi,

I attached my Multiwii.
BaroPressureSum looks like is not 0, plotted to debug1 divided by 100 and shows around 19000 so maybe a really big number indeed.

BR
Adrian
Attachments
MultiWii.zip
(129.07 KiB) Downloaded 180 times

janekx

Post by janekx »

Tested now r1233 on AIOP and no problem, at ground it shows 0,0 - 0,2 m and when will lift it shows 2m as should.

scrat

Post by scrat »

in r1232 baro reading in gui wac -25000 or more. I've rebooted fc then value shown in gui was 0. But when testing outside, quad was going up. Like baro wasn't working. In r1177 baro readings in gui is around 800. I live at 660m abowe sea level. But it works. Slightly goes down and then up.
Last edited by scrat on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sebbi

Post by Sebbi »

nhadrian wrote:Hi,

I attached my Multiwii.
BaroPressureSum looks like is not 0, plotted to debug1 divided by 100 and shows around 19000 so maybe a really big number indeed.

BR
Adrian

Your config.h looks pretty default and 19000 is in the correct range when devided by 100 (equals 950 mbar pressure). I'll try to come up with something to fix it for your configuration, but so far ... I'm clueless. You could try to replace

Code: Select all

if(baroGroundPressure == 0 && currentTime > INIT_DELAY) { // 10 seconds delay

with

if(currentTime > INIT_DELAY) { // 10 seconds delay

and see if baroGroundPressure gets set to something then ... this wont show you the correct altitude since it will reset ground every cycle, but at least you can see if this is causing the problem.

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

Sebbi wrote:
nhadrian wrote:Hi,
Your config.h looks pretty default and 19000 is in the correct range when devided by 100 (equals 950 mbar pressure). I'll try to come up with something to fix it for your configuration, but so far ... I'm clueless. You could try to replace

if(baroGroundPressure == 0 && currentTime > INIT_DELAY) { // 10 seconds delay

with

and see if baroGroundPressure gets set to something then ... this wont show you the correct altitude since it will reset ground every cycle, but at least you can see if this is causing the problem.

I tried. baroGroundPressure stays constantly on 0 after aa minute too.

Sebbi

Post by Sebbi »

You can try

baroGroundPressure = 100;

or debug currentTime and INIT_DELAY ...

I don't get it why baroPressureSum has some value, but baroGroundPressure stays 0.

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

Hi,

Still nothing here. The interresting is that once I write in number instead of baroGroundPressure into the Baroalt = ..... equation, it still remains 0.

BR
Adrian

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

Hi,

I found the origin!!!
After some other tests I realised that getEstimatedAltitude is never excited!
To proove that, I replaced this part:

if (Baro_update() != 0 ) {
            break;
          } else {
            if (getEstimatedAltitude() !=0) {
              break;
            }
          }

to this:

Baro_update(); 
          getEstimatedAltitude();
          break;

and it works!!! Now it shows latitude after 10 minutes, also I have valid baroGroundPressure, etc...

So either there is no case when Baro_update gives 0 or similar problem.

Could you please look after?

BR
Adrian

Sebbi

Post by Sebbi »

The only possibility Baro_update() would never return 0 is when other stuff is taking longer than 10 ms ... i don't know how this could be the case. Is your average cycleTime higher than normal, e.g. in the 10000 range?

Sebbi

Post by Sebbi »

Or ... with GPS active and when it is slow enough (you had a baudrate auf 57600 and ublox, I don't know about that) and maybe Sonar it would be easily possible that Baro_update gets only called every 10000 µs and then getEstimatedAltitude would never execute. This needs to be fixed by giving getEstimatedAltitude its own case in the switch statement.

dramida

Post by dramida »

Yesterday i re-tested R1232 on a totally different copter: Criuss AIOP with Ublox serial GPS in quad configuration. Altitude readings behave strangely, first it shows a high negative altitude (-26000 or so) witch is not so stable (worst than bmp085) and after a few minutes it freezes to 0
I am surprised that from all 808 users who downloaded this MWC version, only I and Adrian reported this issue.

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

I have cícle time around 3000-4000, so this couldn't be the origin.
BTW, I modified the code, gave own case for getEstimatedAltitude, now it works fine.
Dramida, could you please also try to add own case for getEstimatedAltitude?
Like this way?

switch (taskOrder % 5) {
      case 0:
        taskOrder++;
        #if MAG
          if (Mag_getADC()) { // max 350 µs (HMC5883)
            break;            // only break when we actually did something
          }
        #endif
      case 1:
        taskOrder++;
        #if BARO
          Baro_update();
          break;
        #endif
     case 2:
        taskOrder++;
        #if BARO
          getEstimatedAltitude()
          break;
        #endif
      case 3:
        taskOrder++;
        #if GPS
          if(GPS_Enable) {
            GPS_NewData();
          }
          break;
        #endif
      case 4:
        taskOrder++;
        #if SONAR
          Sonar_update();debug[2] = sonarAlt;
        #endif
        #ifdef LANDING_LIGHTS_DDR
          auto_switch_landing_lights();
        #endif
        break;
    }

scrat

Post by scrat »

dramida wrote:Yesterday i re-tested R1232 on a totally different copter: Criuss AIOP with Ublox serial GPS in quad configuration. Altitude readings behave strangely, first it shows a high negative altitude (-26000 or so) witch is not so stable (worst than bmp085) and after a few minutes it freezes to 0
I am surprised that from all 808 users who downloaded this MWC version, only I and Adrian reported this issue.

You didn't read my post:

in r1232 baro reading in gui was -25000 or more. I've rebooted fc then value shown in gui was 0. But when testing outside, quad was going up. Like baro wasn't working. In r1177 baro readings in gui is around 800. I live at 660m abowe sea level. But it works. Slightly goes down and then up.

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

scrat wrote:in r1232 baro reading in gui was -25000 or more. I've rebooted fc then value shown in gui was 0. But when testing outside, quad was going up. Like baro wasn't working. In r1177 baro readings in gui is around 800. I live at 660m abowe sea level. But it works. Slightly goes down and then up.

So already 3 persons... ?!?!?!

Clarkye

Post by Clarkye »

+1, BMP085, B2 release is good, but R1232 is jump up and down.

Sebbi

Post by Sebbi »

Is this always a crius board with ublox serial?

In the baro case can you measure the time from one call of baro_update to the next?

It could be worse for bmp085 because it switches between deadlines of 8 and 14 MS ...

The solution with separate tasks should be the fix for this Kind of problem however.

Sebbi

Post by Sebbi »

I measured the timing of the code:
  • With serial GPS enabled (NMEA, with or without a GPS connected) the time between two baro_update calls is only seldomly below 10000 µs, so getEstimatedAltitude doesn't get called often enough. With Ublox, Sonar lower baudrate and/or BMP085 this issue could be even worse
  • Without GPS enabled the time between two calls is below 10000 more often, but occasionally goes over 10000

This is not optimal scheduling. For the MS6511 baro_update should be called every 10 ms, but it is more like 14-16 ms and only sometimes 10 ms when the cycles added up enough time. GetEstimatedAltitude has an internal "timer" which prevents executions if less than 25 ms have passed since the last execution. Well ... with GPS enabled this mechanism is not really needed, because the function gets called with only 10-15 Hz (on my copter) or never with some other configurations (nhadrian and others).

I suggest a complete rework of the scheduler and timing sensitive code ;-) In the meantime, this should work as a fix:

static uint8_t taskOrder=0; // never call all functions in the same loop, to avoid high delay spikes
    switch (taskOrder % 5) {
      case 0:
        taskOrder++;
        #if MAG
          if (Mag_getADC()) { // max 350 µs (HMC5883)
            break;            // only break when we actually did something
          }
        #endif
      case 1:
        taskOrder++;
        #if BARO
          if(Baro_update() != 0)
            break;
        #endif
     case 2:
        taskOrder++;
        #if BARO
          if(getEstimatedAltitude() != 0)
            break;
        #endif
      case 3:
        taskOrder++;
        #if GPS
          if(GPS_Enable) {
            GPS_NewData();
          }
          break;
        #endif
      case 4:
        taskOrder++;
        #if SONAR
          Sonar_update();debug[2] = sonarAlt;
        #endif
        #ifdef LANDING_LIGHTS_DDR
          auto_switch_landing_lights();
        #endif
        break;
    }

If baro is enabled, GPS still gets called every 6 - 20 ms which is faster than the 10 Hz they usually send data with.

itain

Post by itain »

nhadrian wrote:
scrat wrote:in r1232 baro reading in gui was -25000 or more. I've rebooted fc then value shown in gui was 0. But when testing outside, quad was going up. Like baro wasn't working. In r1177 baro readings in gui is around 800. I live at 660m abowe sea level. But it works. Slightly goes down and then up.

So already 3 persons... ?!?!?!

Here too! BIG negative values on GUI. Using CRIUS AIO PRO (MPU6050,MS5611,HMC5883L).

Sebbi

Post by Sebbi »

Large negative values can only occur if groundpressure was measured "too early" and/or it has a value significantly lower than the current air pressure. Increasing INIT_DELAY in Imu.ino should help and getting a new groundpressure value when arming and/or with a stick command should help too. Maybe add it to the gyro calibration command?

Sebbi

Post by Sebbi »

Here is a working and improved (baro calibration at startup and with gyro calibration stick combo) version:
https://github.com/sebastianherp/multiw ... roved_baro

Diff:
https://github.com/sebastianherp/multiw ... roved_baro

The particular commit:
https://github.com/sebastianherp/multiw ... 5dbc78983e

If someone on the MultiWii dev team would implement it, that would be swell ;-)

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

Hi,

There is obviously something wrong about R1232, mainly due to the scheduler part.
Thank you all for digging into the code problem.
@Sebbi, I like the new approach to calibrate the baro, and I've included the mods.
a new dev is coming for testing.