Naze32 hardware discussion thread

timecop

Post by timecop »

NOTE: NO BUG REPORTS WILL BE ACCEPTED WITHOUT ACCOMPANYING "VERSION" OUTPUT FROM CLI.

Since rcgroups unfortunately demised, a thread is created about this piece of hardware.

Naze32 is a small (36x36mm) flight control based on 32-bit STM32 processor running at 72MHz. With current attitude code from MultiWii, CPU spends more than 90% time at idle. :)

However, with a proper 32bit platform, the following things are possible:
  • realtime hardware debugging via SWD connector
  • 1us resolution hardware PWM for both input and output
  • all supported sensors auto-detected, no need to recompile
  • all user-configurable parameters / features are changeable at runtime through serial console
  • plenty of CPU time to experiment with better filtering/attitude algorithms (kalman etc)
  • 20k SRAM (mostly unused), 128k Flash (currently ~60k used)

Detailed hardware description in the wiki:
http://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/wiki/AfroFlight32
Current revision is pink pcb rev5, with MPU6050, MS5611, and HMC5883L. For more hardware details see the above wiki page.

Software is open-source and based on (and kept mostly up-to-date with) MultiWii software for 8-bit AVR processors.
Software repository: http://github.com/multiwii/baseflight/

Patches / fixes / new features are welcome but MUST follow the same coding style.

User's manual (work in progress): http://www.abusemark.com/downloads/naze32_rev3.pdf
User PID/etc settings spreadsheet (managed by lebrett@rcgroups)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... 5c1E#gid=0

A friendly reminder: You cannot use this hardware with any DJI frames.
This includes: FlameWheel 330, 450, 550, or any future or past frames released by DJI.

GPS support is NOT FLIGHT TESTED - only to confirm data reception from GPS module. "I2C" GPS is NOT supported and never will be. There is no need for such hacks on proper hardware.

CP2102 USB driver

http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/page ... ivers.aspx
Download the vcp drivers for your OS.

Issues have been reported with old CP2102 drivers not working / causing "device cannot be started" nonsense in Windows 7 x64, if you plug the USB connector and get something similar with a previously loaded driver, go to device manager, and 'uninstall driver', making sure to check [x] delete driver files then reconnect USB and install latest driver from the URL above.]

Firmware update instructions

Easy way : Install Chrome baseflight configurator and use its built-in firmware flashing mode.

Or...

Requires STM32 Flash Loader from http://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/downloads/list
Currently hosting (older) version 2.4.0, because latest version available from ST directly (2.5.0) is broken.

Firmware: baseflight latest stable version @ http://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/downloads/list
latest development version (usually flight tested)
https://github.com/multiwii/baseflight/ ... flight.hex
(right click on 'view raw', save as... )
Latest firmware shows build version by typing "version" in cli.

Firmware update procedure uses STM32's built in ROM bootloader. This means that's not something a user can break/erase by uploading wrong data etc. If standard update fails, recovery always works as it goes directly to this bootloader.

Standard update instructions

1. Use terminal emulator (suggested Hercules Setup) connect to USB COM Port at 115200 8bit NO Parity 1 Stopbit
  2. Send 'R' (no need to enter key, but must be capital R). Easiest is to type R into one of the 3 transmit boxes and click [Send] button. Then close the port/Hercules Setup.
  3. All 3 leds will be ON.
  4. Start STM32 Flash Loader, choose USB COM port, make sure parity is EVEN, don't change any other setting.
  5. Click Next until it goes to erase/download/upload page. Here, make sure 'Download' is checked, check [jump to user program] and if needed [global erase]. The latter will clear all settings (newer firmware might also clear settings depending on config struct version. It's better to backup PIDs etc if needed).
  6. Browse to the baseflight firmware you want.
  7. Click next
  8. When all done, the leds will blink standard startup pattern, if not, unplug usb and replug.

Rescue / recovery update instructions

If transmitting 'R' in above method doesn't work, if flash fails, if firmware is too old, etc, the following method is to be used.

1. Short out bootloader pads on the board with tweezers or similar. Do not solder them together or any other nonsense. If it's difficult to keep them shorted while plugging in USB cable, then plug the board in then connect the other end of cable to PC while keeping pads shorted.
  2. Plug in USB cable. Only POWER light will be on - 2 status lights are OFF. If they blink, repeat step1 after removing USB - means the pads weren't shorted correctly.
  3. Bootloader pads can now be unshorted.
  4. Go to step 4) from the instructions above. Note, ONLY power (blue) led will be on at this point, the other 2 must be off.

Can't get ST Flash Loader demonstrator to work? Chances are you need UART DLL update:
http://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/do ... TBLLIB.zip
Place the DLL in specified location and re-run flashing procedure from step 1.

Configuration software / GUI

Any multiwii protocol 2.3 or above compatible GUI will work. All advanced settings are always accessible by serial console (connect to the serial port of Naze32 and press '#' key to enter console.

Chats
Official IRC channel for all things MultiWii is #multiwii on freenode irc network. If you don't know what that is, don't worry about it, but if you do, you're welcome to stop by and say hi.

Hardware is available from abusemark.com
Last edited by timecop on Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:48 am, edited 12 times in total.

copterrichie

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by copterrichie »

p25o1

Post by p25o1 »

+1 for the naze32,,, i like the size/sensors used, and the effort put to port multiwii to 32bit platforms.

just few question, and i hope i'm not opening a can of worms :-)

is dongs/timecop the only developer working on the 32bit port of multiwii?
what is the overall direction from multiwii community to support 32bit STM32 boards?
is dongs=timecop=neo??!!

timecop

Post by timecop »

haha. yeah, I just got my username changed here.
I certainly welcome people to contribute, but coding style has to be followed (same requirement as multiwii code, really) and patches/additions must be tested, not break stuff, and fit into the pre-existing driver/subsystem framework properly etc.

There's some guide for getting stuff built using free tools here : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... tcount=740

@copterrichie, eh.

nicog

Post by nicog »

He is not the only one, but he is the big kahuna.

p25o1

Post by p25o1 »

not sure if you saw this

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/miniature-fo ... 883l-.html

its a mini stm32 quad. should i order one :-) and will we see it run multiwii 32 soon.

timecop

Post by timecop »

p25o1 wrote:not sure if you saw this

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/miniature-fo ... 883l-.html
its a mini stm32 quad. should i order one :-) and will we see it run multiwii 32 soon.

Sure, if you're willing to try and get it working. If they reused same pinout as kcopter/freeflight/naze32, then its just a matter of changing PWM outputs for brushed motors, and maybe changing sensors axis. Otherwise you'll need schematic or trace the pins around to each input/output. With the PWM i/o driver now being much more generic, it should be very easy to support different hardware layout (with a build-time #define though, not runtime).

Just watch out - the picture looks like failmega328, not stm32 :)

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

timecop wrote:@copterrichie, eh.

It is about Freaking Time!

breezemont

Post by breezemont »

msev

Post by msev »

Power to the people! Rcgroups opression finally conquered :P

rocketray

Post by rocketray »

Hi,

First let me say the way rcgroups treated TC was a disgrace, it was a witch hunt, and all because he said what he though and it upset some manufacturers(DJI) who obviously have a lot of clout within rcgroups.

OK back on topic, I have 5 naze32's and i am a numbskull as far as programming is concerned,so if i can use and set up a naze32 all you clever programming types will have absolutely no problems, I did struggle a bit in the begining but as long as you can follow instructions it comes together, infact i had more trouble with arduino in the begining, i am a user Not a programmer.

Its coming to the end of 2012 now and i think that 32 bit is the obvious direction to go, although i still fly my 8 bitters and they fly fine, but the suprising thing is that 32 bit (or the naze32) is certainly cheaper, or should i say its cheaper now than it generally is with 8 bit not withstanding some of the later chinese offerings, its also got me into PPM , i love getting rid of all those leads and also a big thing for me, is i also got bluetooth sorted, although both of them are just as easy with 8 bit(i think) and best of all TC has been really good to me, putting up with and answering questions and queries that he needn't have (it was a 32 bit development thread not meant for idiots like me)
BUT beware he doesnt suffer fools gladly, so please read the manual first before you askfor his help.

Finally i love the fact that the Naze32 is the same size as the openpilot CC but has mag and baro as standard, no more towers for me.
Im not into GPS etc although i believe it is catered for, or at least some people were using it and it is coded for(i think).

Laters Ray ;)

timecop

Post by timecop »

GPS from r1097 of multiwii has been merged.
Still no auto-configuration or UBX but that's coming soon.
Careful testing could commence.

a944734

Post by a944734 »

Great news - will test it tomorrow. Though there is no auto-configuration, does the code send any MTK init-strings (set baudrate / set update-rate...) ?
Something like in
https://github.com/multiwii/multiwii-fi ... ed/GPS.ino ?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Not yet. The driver should be setup for it now, but I need to move the init bits over. I'll do some testing with GPS modules (mtk and neo6) tomorrow.

a944734

Post by a944734 »

Cool stuff. I have a FGPMMOPA6 with the MT3329, capable of 115200 baud and 5Hz. Defaults are 9600 and 1Hz :-( and I don't feel like messing with the EPROM to change defaults, there seems to be a limit of some 5 writes allowed...

Think I'll wait for your init tests first

timecop

Post by timecop »

r204 w/init stuff has been committed.

make sure to configure gps_type by serial console:

use "set gps_type=X" in cli to configure, where X=0 if NMEA (no special config),
X=1 if UBX (enters ubx binary mode), X=2 if MTK (sets up MTK for 5Hz operation).
also make sure to either clear settings or set gps_baudrate to something other than old default of 9600. 19200 and above works.

NOT tested other than getting 6 sats on my window and showing proper data in mwc gui.

doughboy

Post by doughboy »

timecop wrote:A friendly reminder: You cannot use this hardware with any DJI frames.
This includes: FlameWheel 330, 450, 550, or any future or past frames released by DJI.

just curious as to why this cannot be used with any of the dji frames.
thanks

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Kudos for the GPS Implementation!

timecop

Post by timecop »

doughboy wrote:just curious as to why this cannot be used with any of the dji frames.
thanks

Mostly because I said so, and also because the frames are vibrating, heavy pieces of plastic trash.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

LOL, bridge the gap and make a few friends. ;)

tcarnal

Post by tcarnal »

timecop wrote:
doughboy wrote:just curious as to why this cannot be used with any of the dji frames.
thanks

Mostly because I said so, and also because the frames are vibrating, heavy pieces of plastic trash.

Hehehehehe just as i thought :)

LeoWie

Post by LeoWie »

timecop wrote:r204 w/init stuff has been committed.

make sure to configure gps_type by serial console:

use "set gps_type=X" in cli to configure, where X=0 if NMEA (no special config),
X=1 if UBX (enters ubx binary mode), X=2 if MTK (sets up MTK for 5Hz operation).
also make sure to either clear settings or set gps_baudrate to something other than old default of 9600. 19200 and above works.

NOT tested other than getting 6 sats on my window and showing proper data in mwc gui.

Thanks for GPS.
Today it was too late for me to read this post and then too dark outside.
(I tested 1 accu without your recommended settings above: no disaster when switching to GPS, but the reaction is that the copter drifts away slowly from the hold or home point).

rotary65

Post by rotary65 »

doughboy wrote:
timecop wrote:A friendly reminder: You cannot use this hardware with any DJI frames.

just curious as to why this cannot be used with any of the dji frames.
thanks

Because DJI commercial frames reject the honest commands of the open source Naze32 and baseflight firmware, of course! Their frames include a special rubbery chemical which not only flexes, but prevent the Naze32 from sticking to them. (tongue planted firmly in cheek!)

crazylittle

Post by crazylittle »

This video is a good example of why DJI frames are no good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69HIryQn8rM

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

and DJI's marketing is sickening. Here locally, DJI is sponsoring building clubs offering people that don't have a clue so-called discount for their kits. A fool and his money is soon departed and DJI is making sure of that!

bob4432

Post by bob4432 »

subscribed (lets see if it will send me updates now....)

Bhuwan

Post by Bhuwan »

rocketray wrote:Hi,

First let me say the way rcgroups treated TC was a disgrace, it was a witch hunt, and all because he said what he though and it upset some manufacturers(DJI) who obviously have a lot of clout within rcgroups.

OK back on topic, I have 5 naze32's and i am a numbskull as far as programming is concerned,so if i can use and set up a naze32 all you clever programming types will have absolutely no problems, I did struggle a bit in the begining but as long as you can follow instructions it comes together, infact i had more trouble with arduino in the begining, i am a user Not a programmer.

Its coming to the end of 2012 now and i think that 32 bit is the obvious direction to go, although i still fly my 8 bitters and they fly fine, but the suprising thing is that 32 bit (or the naze32) is certainly cheaper, or should i say its cheaper now than it generally is with 8 bit not withstanding some of the later chinese offerings, its also got me into PPM , i love getting rid of all those leads and also a big thing for me, is i also got bluetooth sorted, although both of them are just as easy with 8 bit(i think) and best of all TC has been really good to me, putting up with and answering questions and queries that he needn't have (it was a 32 bit development thread not meant for idiots like me)
BUT beware he doesnt suffer fools gladly, so please read the manual first before you askfor his help.

Finally i love the fact that the Naze32 is the same size as the openpilot CC but has mag and baro as standard, no more towers for me.
Im not into GPS etc although i believe it is catered for, or at least some people were using it and it is coded for(i think).

Laters Ray ;)
It's a disgrace how he was treated.

Bhuwan

Post by Bhuwan »

Folks. I am a complete noob with quads - Right now I am messing around with the kk2 but eventually I might pickup a naze32. Have people had good experience with it and the ht-fpv. ?

I am waiting to beat the shit out of the kk before upgrading :D

timecop

Post by timecop »

LeoWie wrote:Thanks for GPS.
(I tested 1 accu without your recommended settings above: no disaster when switching to GPS, but the reaction is that the copter drifts away slowly from the hold or home point).

Thanks, you might be one of the only few people testing GPS - let me know if it does anything weird.
The code should be pretty much same unless I added bugs while moving it.

LeoWie

Post by LeoWie »

timecop wrote:
LeoWie wrote:Thanks for GPS.

Thanks, you might be one of the only few people testing GPS - let me know if it does anything weird.
The code should be pretty much same unless I added bugs while moving it.

Ok, I will test + report.

Test plan:
1. Rabbit GPS Receiver w/ u-blox GPS module for Rabbit Flight Controller (ready for takeoff) and
2. Crius CN-06 GPS Receiver Module (it's already waiting in a parcel in my post-office I think)
both with
a) NMEA (parameters set, ready for takeoff) and
b) UBX
(both with different max. baud rates from data sheets)

with a very crash resistent < 750g Copter named 'Bug' :mrgreen: ( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=4767 ).

timecop

Post by timecop »

My tests were done with rctimer CN06, seems to be a cheap + decent quality module. At first, I used it in nmea mode w/baudrate bumped up via ucenter to test the nmea parser, then switched to ubx mode with autoconfig. rabbit and cn06 are both same ubx neo6 module, as far as I remember.

ruffster

Post by ruffster »

I'm trying to connect one of these:
http://www.flytron.com/osd-headtrackers/15-simpleosd-gps-module.html

I've set gps_type=2 and experimented with the baudrate (I think the gps default is 9600) but it doesn't appear in the multiwiiconf.

I figure the gps needs its baudrate setting to 115200? But I can't seem to connect to it with my pc - I've connected it to a usb ttl cp2102 adapter; the unit lights up and after a while the satellite led goes out to show sat lock but no matter what baudrates I try I can''t seem to connect to it to see what its doing. I'm trying to connect with the mediatek minigps software - has anybody else got this module or used this software? if so could you point me in the right direction?

thanks

timecop

Post by timecop »

If you're not sure if it works or not - try it in NMEA only mode at first, (type=0) and see if you at least get sentences out. if not, swap rx/tx pins. If it defaults to 9600, make sure to set gps_baudrate to that. or try the common ones (19200, 38400, 57600, 115200). Once you know it works in nmea mode, switch to type=2 for mtk so it sends extra init stuff. could also need a different init string than the one I used - i dunno cause I don't have that module.

rotary65

Post by rotary65 »

I ordered a Crius LEA 6H GPS and will be testing it out on the Naze32. I don't have it yet, but will post my results when I do.

ruffster

Post by ruffster »

timecop wrote:swap rx/tx pin

Well that's got it talking to the computer - tx to tx and rx to rx...?! no wonder I struggle!

LeoWie

Post by LeoWie »

... wau - so many GPS testers out there! :)

So I think this is the place + the time to tell you the reason why I am here ... (a secret?) based on some years of work: analyzing my AP's eg. @ http://twitpic.com/photos/FotoDrohneWien or http://fotodrohnewien.wordpress.com/ has a tendency: heavy lifting 2500g+ Octos + Hexas are hanging on the wall ... in the last month of the fotos are taken with <1500g copters ... 70% with no GPS ... and GPS I need when I climb up starting at urban canyons ... and the wind is up there above the roofs ... and then I sometimes want to switch on GPS ... as an anchor or something that brings me home ... and all this in a copter <1000g ... with no rubbish + not used connectors + lamettta clim bim ... and a mini-quality board with future (90% idle ...) ... and 1st of all: a good Software! That’s why I am exactly here.

Sumary:
Join the Naze32 + "GPS task force" and the future of AP is yours!
Amen :)
Last edited by LeoWie on Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

a944734

Post by a944734 »

Afraid no success. Using the same flytron MTK module as ruffster

Scenario A (old)
Code baseflight stable 20120726
gps_baudrate 9600 (default)
Result:
- GPS module achieving 3D lock(red led off)
- NAZE red LED blinking - receiving sentences
- Android GUI showing 6+ satellites, position etc
- quad in pos hold showing no effect - no surprise

Scenario B (new)
Code baseflight R204
gps_baudrate = 115200 (tested all down to 9600 too)
gps_type = 0 or 2 (both tested)
Result:
- GPS module achieving 3D lock(red led off)
- NAZE red LED not blinking
. Android GUI showing 0 satellites, no position
- quad in pos hold showing no effect

In short - old code received GPS data alright, just did not know what to do with it
new code does not receive GPS data from the module

timecop

Post by timecop »

Well, you hooked up something wrong since it's been tested until that point at least (receiving sentences over serial).

a944734

Post by a944734 »

Afraid not, the physical connection is untouched. Plus if I go back to stable 20120726 data is received again.
Only difference is R204 vs. stable

timecop

Post by timecop »

And feature GPS is on, and you know that stable->r204 upgrade wipes settings, so you have to re-enable them again? If receive (serial) works there's no reason why a different module would cause it not to work.

At this point your guess is as good as mine.

a944734

Post by a944734 »

timecop wrote:And feature GPS is on, and you know that stable->r204 upgrade wipes settings, so you have to re-enable them again? If receive (serial) works there's no reason why a different module would cause it not to work.

At this point your guess is as good as mine.

I am aware that settings are wiped and have re-set them for both code versions.
Possibly there is a problem with the MTK init procedure, it seems to make it "shut up". I think we have to wait for others with MTK and see whether
they get further than me.

Regards
Sam

timecop

Post by timecop »

By default, after power up, what baudrate does the GPS work at?
use type=0 (nmea) and just connect it and see if it receives anything.

a944734

Post by a944734 »

gotta be out for 2 hours, will report back

a944734

Post by a944734 »

back, results as follows (all on R204)

GPS module defaults on power up are baudrate 9600, refresh 1 Hz

- gps_type = 0, gps_baudrate = 9600 -> ok, data coming
- gps_type = 2, gps_baudrate = 9600 -> ok, data coming
- gps_type = 2, gps_baudrate =19200 -> not ok, no data coming
- gps_type = 2, gps_baudrate > 19200 -> not ok, no data coming

timecop

Post by timecop »

OK, so does manually sending something like "$PMTK251,115200*1F" to your gps dongle witih usb>serial converter switch it to 115200 baud mode? If you're getting data at 9600, there are two possibilities:

1) tx signal to gps isn't working / connected correctly
2) those MTK init strings are wrong / aren't accepted by your gps

when using gps_type = 0 (raw nmea), you have to pre-configure the GPS to the gps_baudrate value first - there's no automatic way to set that, so that explains why no data at other baudrates with type = 0.

LeoWie

Post by LeoWie »

GPS Test Report r204

HW:
Rabbit GPS Receiver w/ u-blox GPS module
(label " ublox Neo 6M 0 001", never set to something via usb)

Settings:
CLI
gps_type = 1
gps_baudrate = 19200
(data not visible in WiiConf with gps_type = 0 or 2 and ot higler gps_baudrate)

Connection:
GPS:Rx-FC:3:TX + GPS:Tx-FC:4:RX works: see green [GPS] in MultiWiiConf (not Tx-Tx + Rx-Rx).

Switches:
(1) ACC / GPSHold+ACC+MAG / GPSHome+ACC+MAG
(2) - / BARO
(see green in MultiWiiConf when switched on)

Flight test:
Leveled ACC flight ok.
When switched to GPS copter levels about 5 degrees away from hold/home

Test quality:
high (no wind, 5+ tries)

Impression:
Like GPS params work in the opposit direction ... and very weak ... or not(?)

kjetil

Post by kjetil »

HELLO
i am new to this forum and i need some help from you guys

i have a tricopter and a afrofligthcontroller with tricopter firmware on it
my radio is a graupner mx 20 with a gr16 hott reciver

my problem is1:to get the radio setup rigth,so it wil work with the ppm on the afro!
2: what program on the pc do i have to download to get this thing to work?
3: i have some castle esc on my tricopter,and i wounder if i anly shoud have the red cabel from one esc going too the afro,or can i have all 3 red cabel from eatch esc into the afro

i hope someone can explane to me how to connet this thing so i can go out flying

thanks for answering
kjetil

Hulk

Post by Hulk »

See the first post in this thread then see
http://www.abusemark.com/downloads/naze32_rev1.pdf
It describes in detail how to set up the f/c for PPM.
I am not familar with your radio equipment though. You will need to set it up for PPM, then proceed to the Naze32.

timecop

Post by timecop »

kjetil wrote:my radio is a graupner mx 20 with a gr16 hott reciver

1:to get the radio setup rigth,so it wil work with the ppm on the afro!
2: what program on the pc do i have to download to get this thing to work?
3: i have some castle esc on my tricopter,and i wounder if i anly shoud have the red cabel from one esc going too the afro,or can i have all 3 red cabel from eatch esc into the afro

1 - you can use it in normal (individual channels) or PPM mode. How to switch? Look in graupner manual, but PPM out is probably on another plug under the channel connectors.

2 - multiwiiconf or mw-wingui, manual covers this
3 - up to you, doesnt matter for the fc.

timecop

Post by timecop »

LeoWie wrote:GPS Test Report r204

Settings:
CLI
gps_type = 1
gps_baudrate = 19200
(data not visible in WiiConf with gps_type = 0 or 2 and ot higler gps_baudrate)

Impression:
Like GPS params work in the opposit direction ... and very weak ... or not(?)

19200, odd. I didn't try anything besides 115200 on mine, but that setting worked (switching from poweron, it defaults to 9600).
I wonder if rabbit has some extra level shifting stuff that breaks it. Not sure.

About the rest of GPS stuff, that sounds about right :)
I'll look over default params and see if they changed from the last time I merged them, thats the only part I didn't compare from the 800-ish revision of mwc that original code was based on.