New RCtimer GPS Ublox Neo 6M fails to perform on Mega boards

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
dramida

Re: New RCtimer GPS Ublox Neo 6M fails to perform on Mega bo

Post by dramida »

@quadwalker:
Hi, i had the same problem as you and i found that EosBandi already coded an init function for Crius GPS on Mega Boards. Here it is : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2166#p20097

First of all i don't think Neo6M gps can work at 10 Hz refresh.
Secondly, i prefer to work on Bandi's code because is straight forward. But since you have to restart the board and wait a lot to have GPS signal OK shown by flashing leds (red and green simultaneously) i think that the GPS init code has some bugs in it.

quadwalker

Post by quadwalker »

HI Dramida

THanks. I didn't figure out that an attachment was available in the EosBandi post. His code is pretty nice
From my side, using 115200b and 10hz seems to be working. I can see working well in u-center but also when inside the FC my red and green led are flashing pretty well and in the MWGui I can see my position on the map
If ever, I will switch to 5hz

At the momnt I don't really flew so much with that new FC just received recently

dramida

Post by dramida »

I am not a programmer and i like neat and easy to understand code. Your GPS is working at first boot? I have to unplug the battery after a few minutes and replug it to work.
If you could improve Bandi's code, would have more sense for me. Thank you.

quadwalker

Post by quadwalker »

I think that it can work at the fisrt boot. I need more time to test since my code was working until tonight :-) From what I read, working at first boot is due to joining together pins 13 & 14
I will keep you informed but normally nothing very fundametaly different from Bani's code except he ensured to filter only the necesssary messages. His init code is nice as well to be able to work whatever the default speed your GSP is configured

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

UBLOX NEO 6 configuration with soldering pins 13,14 and 15 (together) + code that was submitted to _shared by Alexinparis works from r1014 up without problems (from first boot):
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2166&start=10#p20105

Regards
Andrej

quadwalker

Post by quadwalker »

Hi Dramida

I made a test this morning to see the result on the fisrt plug. After 2/3min I got my GPS active. Red and green leds were "dancing" pretty well :-)
FYI I have soldered only pins 13&14 together

I need to learn now how to use the POSHOLD. When flying and switch on the POSHOLD, is the quadcopter supposed to maintain itself its position?
In my case if it was having an ascending or descending behavior, it is continuing to go up or down even after switching the POSHOLD!!! I probably misunderstood something :-(

quadwalker

Post by quadwalker »

Hi Andrej

Yes I saw that thanks to dramida. I was missing the GPS.zip attchment. Anyway, it was funny to test by myself and learned how all that stuff is working. GPS is a real magic box :-)
cheers

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

quadwalker wrote:Hi Andrej

Yes I saw that thanks to dramida. I was missing the GPS.zip attchment. Anyway, it was funny to test by myself and learned how all that stuff is working. GPS is a real magic box :-)
cheers

GPS.zip is EOSBandi's approach to NEO6 and it works with original 2.1 (not dev. _shared) and without any soldering to GPS. But I have not tested it myself.

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

quadwalker wrote:Hi Dramida
In my case if it was having an ascending or descending behavior, it is continuing to go up or down even after switching the POSHOLD!!! I probably misunderstood something :-(

POS. HOLD. will hold geographical position of your multi and not altitude. For that you need properly tuned ALT. HOLD that is independent from GPS functionality.

quadwalker

Post by quadwalker »

crashlander wrote:
quadwalker wrote:Hi Dramida

POS. HOLD. will hold geographical position of your multi and not altitude. For that you need properly tuned ALT. HOLD that is independent from GPS functionality.

ah great. thank you for pointing out this detail. I am going to test this at the end of this day

pm1

Post by pm1 »

quadwalker wrote:HI Dramida
From my side, using 115200b and 10hz seems to be working.

I can confirm that. I have measured the time between consecutive reading and put that to a debug variable, it's about 100 ms...

quadwalker

Post by quadwalker »

For those who would like to test using UBLOX Neo 6m at 115200/10hz, here the GPS.ino attachment file modified
As my Neo 6m gps seems supporting this rate, let's have a try from you side if you wish

The GPS.ino was modified to scan 115200 as well during the the GPS init phase to setup the binary mode if ever your GPS should be in that default speed

I think it is also fixing a bug in the scan loop to setup the binay mode. The loop is looking one element behind the end of the baudrates array. Only 4 elements in the array and then 0 to 4 is too much.

Code: Select all

const unsigned long baudrates[5] = {9600U, 19200U, 38400U, 57600U};
for (uint8_t i=0; i<5; i++) {

If you prefer to keep using the actual GPS.ino, it will be better to replace 5 by 4 or again better by sizeof(baudrates)

for (uint8_t i=0; i<sizeof(baudrates); i++) {

Using the new GPS.ino, you will have to add a new define statement GPS_RATE in config.h in the GPS section.

#define GPS_BAUD   115200   //can be 57600 or 115200
#define GPS_RATE   100        //can be 100ms for 10Hz or 200ms for 5hz

Hope that wil help and will be working from your side
have fun
Attachments
GPS.zip
few modifications in the UBLOX_init function
(14.17 KiB) Downloaded 390 times

brettwal

Post by brettwal »

EDIT: Although the module will run at 115,200 5Hz or 10Hz, this code is NOT properly initializing the module. If I revert back to EOSBandi's GPS.ino it intializes fine.

Looks like it works for the Ublox LEA-6 module on the Crius Extend board as well.

Don't forget to change the SBAS setup in GPS.ino for you area of the world. Also remember, that altitude is set to centimeters, not meters in this version.
Last edited by brettwal on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

quadwalker

Post by quadwalker »

brettwal wrote:Looks like it works for the Ublox LEA-6 module on the Crius Extend board as well.

Don't forget to change the SBAS setup in GPS.ino for you area of the world. Also remember, that altitude is set to centimeters, not meters in this version.

Great if it is becoming more and more "Generic"
Correct for the SBAS. I am going to have a look to setup for froggyland in my case :-)

Will have a look to the ALT unit as well. Perhaps also because I found that POSHOLD is not very very efficient on my first tests?????

Anyother issue. When althold is switched on, I can have my throttle too much sensitive. In other words moving the throttle stick just a litlle and my quad is going up or down too much. When althold is back to off, this become more smooth
Any suggestion to investigate on that issue?
Oops perhaps the ALT unit effect in fact???????

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

Hi quadwalker,

EDIT.: I tested with my LEA-6H in my Crius ext. board, looks like it's not working... :( nothing serial from GPS. Changing back to 58600 it works.

For ALT hold sensitivity, change this value in config.h:
#define ALT_HOLD_THROTTLE_NEUTRAL_ZONE 20
I'm using my copter with 80 value instead of 20.....

But be careful, once you'll reach the neutral zone with the stick, it'll became as sensitive as now!!! It's because of the current ALT hold code behaviour. I posted a solution in another topic for compensating angle in LEVEL/ALT hold. For better alt hold behaviour you should try if you would like.

BR
Adrian

PS.: GPS altitude is not used for any purposes in the MWI.

quadwalker

Post by quadwalker »

nhadrian wrote:EDIT.: I tested with my LEA-6H in my Crius ext. board, looks like it's not working... :( nothing serial from GPS. Changing back to 58600 it works.

HI nhadrian

Thanks for the information regarding ALT_HOLD_THROTTLE. I am going to test this
Sorry about LEA-6H not working at 115200bd. NEO-6M is able to do!!!
Perhaps it could be possible to setup autamticaly regarding the receiver version? We can get the hardware version using the MON-VER UBX message :geek:
Yes I got the information that GPS alt is not used. But for the position if unit is cm rather than meter than can have an impact to analyse. My quad is really moving in a large bow when POSHOLD is on!!!

cheers

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

you mean it mooves up-down too much when poshold is active not only alt hold?

IceWind

Post by IceWind »

quadwalker wrote:For those who would like to test using UBLOX Neo 6m at 115200/10hz, here the GPS.ino attachment file modified
As my Neo 6m gps seems supporting this rate, let's have a try from you side if you wish

The GPS.ino was modified to scan 115200 as well during the the GPS init phase to setup the binary mode if ever your GPS should be in that default speed

I think it is also fixing a bug in the scan loop to setup the binay mode. The loop is looking one element behind the end of the baudrates array. Only 4 elements in the array and then 0 to 4 is too much.

const unsigned long baudrates[5] = {9600U, 19200U, 38400U, 57600U};

If you prefer to keep using the actual GPS.ino, it will be better to replace 5 by 4 or again better by sizeof(baudrates)

for (uint8_t i=0; i<sizeof(baudrates); i++) {

Using the new GPS.ino, you will have to add a new define statement GPS_RATE in config.h in the GPS section.

#define GPS_BAUD   115200   //can be 57600 or 115200
#define GPS_RATE   100        //can be 100ms for 10Hz or 200ms for 5hz

Hope that wil help and will be working from your side
have fun

Are you using this and have the ublox with the pins 13,14 and 15 soldered?
I changed the I2C sketch to perform the same and so far the only remaining issue is the damm GPS not starting at first try.

quadwalker

Post by quadwalker »

nhadrian wrote:you mean it mooves up-down too much when poshold is active not only alt hold?

I mean even horizontaly. The quad is realy moving 5m in any direction from the position I'm switching on POSHOLD

dramida

Post by dramida »

It seems that serial GPS is not so-well supported as I2C navi GPS.
Today i had hard times trying to make ublox gps neo 6m working. the leds were flashing but the GUI arrow did not flash.
I even tried MT3329 gps and this one worked sporadically as if it worked 1 second and then shutted off and after another 5 seconds worked again...and off again...
My last hope is to try I2C navi board, even it seems to be over my shoulder as i use a mega board with 3 spare serial ports.

quadwalker

Post by quadwalker »

I changed the I2C sketch to perform the same and so far the only remaining issue is the damm GPS not starting at first try.

Hi iceWind.
I only have pins 13 & 14 soldered together. Pin 15 remains unchanged. My GPS is a Neo 6m from rctimer

IceWind

Post by IceWind »

quadwalker wrote:

Hi iceWind.
I only have pins 13 & 14 soldered together. Pin 15 remains unchanged. My GPS is a Neo 6m from rctimer

Thanks. I'll give it a try

brettwal

Post by brettwal »

dramida wrote:It seems that serial GPS is not so-well supported as I2C navi GPS.
Today i had hard times trying to make ublox gps neo 6m working. the leds were flashing but the GUI arrow did not flash.
I even tried MT3329 gps and this one worked sporadically as if it worked 1 second and then shutted off and after another 5 seconds worked again...and off again...
My last hope is to try I2C navi board, even it seems to be over my shoulder as i use a mega board with 3 spare serial ports.

Sounds like mis-matched baudrates.

brettwal

Post by brettwal »

nhadrian wrote:Hi quadwalker,

EDIT.: I tested with my LEA-6H in my Crius ext. board, looks like it's not working... :( nothing serial from GPS. Changing back to 58600 it works.

But be careful, once you'll reach the neutral zone with the stick, it'll became as sensitive as now!!! It's because of the current ALT hold code behaviour. I posted a solution in another topic for compensating angle in LEVEL/ALT hold. For better alt hold behaviour you should try if you would like.

BR
Adrian

I have the Crius AIO and extend board with LEA-6 and its working for me. 57,600 10Hz or 5Hz & 115,200 10Hz or 5Hz It does take a good 20 seconds or so from boot for data to show in the GUI

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

brettwal wrote:
nhadrian wrote:Hi quadwalker,

BR
Adrian

I have the Crius AIO and extend board with LEA-6 and its working for me. 57,600 10Hz or 5Hz & 115,200 10Hz or 5Hz It does take a good 20 seconds or so from boot for data to show in the GUI

Your ext. board contains LEA-6H module too? really strange then... Do you have anything modified on your board? Soldering module pins, etc....?

brettwal

Post by brettwal »

no mods, all stock

Mac9

Post by Mac9 »

Hi nhadrian and brettwal,
I have a Criu AIO Pro V1 with LEA-6H extender board and all seem sweetness and light, 6 to 8 satellites on my windowsill with the 25mm Antenna supplied and 7 to 9 with a Mouser 30mm unit. The WinGUI shows good fixes at both 57600 and 115200. 5Hz. I programmed the configuration with u-center, but I am unsure if my v2.1 modified GPS.h file is not forcing a 57600 baud rate, must check that. According to the data sheet the 6H has Flash storage for configuration settings page 10 parra 1.12.2 of the data sheet. However I have asked for clarification of this information as ESOBandi "The GPS guru" claims that no Ublox modules have non volatile storage for configuration. If the LEA-6H has such storage and the data sheet says it has then all the complications of soldering EPROMS, shorting out pins and downloading set up strings to the GPS module during Setup, are superfluous to anyone with a LEA-6H module and they fit so well on to the AIO Pro. The only down side being the extra cost.
Flying so far has not been so successful as I am having great difficulty in getting the Altitude hold correction stable, that means that I have been loath to commit to position hold or RTH without switching it quickly out as the quad jumps or dives. Practice and patience required and today is far too windy, that's been the story of the year where I live.

Regards

John

dramida

Post by dramida »

What software version are you using in those working GPS Ublox setups? Right now are 3 software setups that claims they work in ublox GPS:

1-Alex made on R1014 the integration of Ublox neo 6M with binary 5Hz (you have to solder pins 13, 14, 15) viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2166&start=10#p20105
2-EosBandi did some code mods witch were not published in shared trunk.http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2166#p20097
3- Quadwalker did some straight forward coding and claims it works at 10Hz refresh http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2166&start=40#p20569

The only method i tried was 2-by Bandy and i had serious trouble: In NMEA mode with an MT3329 GPS- disaster struck! it works sporadicly. If Ublox neo6m used, it works sporadicly, also leds are flasking, the GUI dosen't show data. Also some time works, some times, it dosen't. And i presume the missing #endif statament from Bandi's code is after SerialOpen function.
Last edited by dramida on Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

dramida wrote:What software version are you using in those working GPS Ublox setups? Right now are 3 software setups that claims they work in ublox GPS:
The only method i tried was 1-by Bandy and i had serious trouble: .

You probably meant 2 (from your order)....
I'm using 1. (Alexinparis, + 13,14,15 pins together) and it works flawlessly with NEO6 (http://www.goodluckbuy.com/rabbit-gps-r ... oller.html) on Crius AIO.

Regards.

brettwal

Post by brettwal »

@dramidia

On my serial setup(AIO Pro and Extend Board w/ LEA-6) I am using Bandi's new GPS.ino and associated mods. Aslo tried quadwalkers mods and they work for me as well.

My i2c setup (NEO-6) I am not able to find a complete solution without soldering pins yet. As long as the NEO-6 has config from U-Center (uploading Bandi's config.txt) it works great but, it does not keep this config for long.

Mac9

Post by Mac9 »

Hi,
I have CRIUS AIO Pro V1 with extender board containing the Ublox LEA-6H. I reflashed the LEA-6H using u-centre with the latest firmware I think it was 7.01from the Ublox website, using u-centre to configure the unit to 57600 5Hz and saved the configuration to flash. I am using EOSBandi's unpublished mods, which may or may not be reconfiguring I will try and check that today as its far too windy for me to try and sort out my Laval and alt hold problems, all seems OK, using WinGUI to check I have a steady 6 to 9 satellites depending on which antenna I use.

Regards

John

OK
Some tests done. Down loaded v2.1 unmodified, not used before, LEA 6H still same configuration 57600 5 Hz, checked using u-centre twice. WinGUI reports 6/7 satellites this could be change in cloud cover can not see how MultiWii soft ware can effect number of satellites found, unless the parsing of the NMEA messages radially changes. Wind is dropping I may try and fly in back garden, only about 3 by 4 meters so no GPS and see if Alt Hold and Level are improved. All seems to suggest that LEA 6H does its stuff regardless of minor changes to MultiWii software. Hope I am correct cause I have just ordered another one from RC Timer.
Have you noticed that this hobby is 80% Hope, 10% exasperation, 5% expectation and 5% ?

flipflop

Post by flipflop »

How in the world do you get the R1014 changes into MW2.1???

dramida

Post by dramida »

Download 15 files as "save as" option on "view raw file" link. Here is the index: http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/sourc ... Wii_shared
Put the files in one folder and that's it.

quadwalker

Post by quadwalker »

Hello

When PosHold and AltHold are activated, do you have your position well kept?
In my case, my quad is flying slowly to the left, mostly 5 or 10m from the position I activivated then he is coming back to the position wanted but staring again going back to the left and backward as well. After 2/3, the way to come back to the wanted position is done more and more in an acrobatic way

Do you have the same behavior?
Did I miss to activate something? what are the falg I may want to enable for POSHold feature?????

thanks

dramida

Post by dramida »

I found that at first power up after a period of innactivity, Ublox neo 6M gps from Rctimer sends an error message instead of data and halts. This error message is related to low voltage of backup memory cell battery.
That's why it is better to power the board, wait for a couple of seconds, unplug and immediately plug the battery again. For me is working this method every time.

scanman

Post by scanman »

dramida wrote:I found that at first power up after a period of innactivity, Ublox neo 6M gps from Rctimer sends an error message instead of data and halts. This error message is related to low voltage of backup memory cell battery.
That's why it is better to power the board, wait for a couple of seconds, unplug and immediately plug the battery again. For me is working this method every time.

I am finding the same problem, i tried to send a warmboot command to the gps by modifying the EOSBandi code on the i2Cnav, but it didnt help. I think i must put an external power switch to automatically power off/on the gps afew seconds after boot.

pm1

Post by pm1 »

quadwalker wrote:Hello

When PosHold and AltHold are activated, do you have your position well kept?
In my case, my quad is flying slowly to the left, mostly 5 or 10m from the position I activivated then he is coming back to the position wanted but staring again going back to the left and backward as well. After 2/3, the way to come back to the wanted position is done more and more in an acrobatic way

Do you have the same behavior?
Did I miss to activate something? what are the falg I may want to enable for POSHold feature?????

thanks

I found, the PID configuration is very sensible. I checked all of the PID code seperately and found out, that the parameter are a bit curious. I changed the code a bit, and I now have a constant position effectively without visible movement of the quad. At the long term (minutes) the quad moves due to the errors of the GPS. I do not know, how the code works for slow GPS, but with ublox binary at 10 Hz it's fine.

I think, I will do some tests again, and will show then the code here...

dramida

Post by dramida »

Have you used IMU data in position hold error function? In this way the copter would react even at the slightest lateral acceleration.(DJI does this way)

pm1

Post by pm1 »

dramida wrote:Have you used IMU data in position hold error function? In this way the copter would react even at the slightest lateral acceleration.(DJI does this way)

No, it was not neccessary. I tried exactly this for altiude hold, but it didn`t work. With the integration I got so such an drift, that it was worse than before.

dramida

Post by dramida »

pm1 wrote:
dramida wrote:Have you used IMU data in position hold error function? In this way the copter would react even at the slightest lateral acceleration.(DJI does this way)

No, it was not neccessary. I tried exactly this for altiude hold, but it didn`t work. With the integration I got so such an drift, that it was worse than before.

You have to consider that fusioning barometer with accelerometer data is a challenge, you can't just add the two errors togheter and expect to work. The Acc data is oriented on short term response, and the baro data is usable over an longer period.
For me it looks as the same algorythm between giro and acc witch calculate the horizon (on a different time scale): Giro is responsable for short term movements and accelerometer takes over the long term position. ( i know that from miss-aligning the sensors in config.h :))

Armin

Post by Armin »

help!
I have Crius AIO and CN-06 GPS RX connected to serial 2 on PCB, tried different solutions to make tha GPS working on 56700 and 115200 baud, but nothing works! Because, when I connect my copter to PC, there is no gps fix (not showing GPS coords), but the compass edge begins to blink immediately after the START button is pressed. Does this blinking means the GPS works and just no gps fix at moment?
Could anybody suggest WORKING solution to make GPS working with Crius AIO MWC an serial connection (not I2C)?

PS. Just h ave tried http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=31 this solution, but the same - the compass edge blinks and no GPS fix.

dramida

Post by dramida »

Blinking compass edge means GPS is working. If you don't see the coordinates it's because you don't have a 3d fix on your GPS. Get outside and it will work, you'll know it because the red and blue leds will flash rapidly when you have more than 5 sats fix.

Armin

Post by Armin »

dramida, thank You for explanation.

WhiteGraphite

Post by WhiteGraphite »

Just a quick question. I'm using the code provide my the excellent Mr. EOSBandi to configure the Crius Ublox Neo 6M and it works perfectly, but my question is, does it also configure the GPS to 5Hz update? I know when the battery ran out and I'd have to configure it via u-centre they would be default 1 Hz update.

dramida

Post by dramida »

Yes, it configures the gps to binary 5hz.

Termic1

New RCtimer GPS Ublox Neo 6M fails to perform on Mega boards

Post by Termic1 »

dramida wrote:What software version are you using in those working GPS Ublox setups? Right now are 3 software setups that claims they work in ublox GPS:

1-Alex made on R1014 the integration of Ublox neo 6M with binary 5Hz (you have to solder pins 13, 14, 15) viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2166&start=10#p20105
2-EosBandi did some code mods witch were not published in shared trunk.http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2166#p20097
3- Quadwalker did some straight forward coding and claims it works at 10Hz refresh http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2166&start=40#p20569

The only method i tried was 2-by Bandy and i had serious trouble: In NMEA mode with an MT3329 GPS- disaster struck! it works sporadicly. If Ublox neo6m used, it works sporadicly, also leds are flasking, the GUI dosen't show data. Also some time works, some times, it dosen't. And i presume the missing #endif statament from Bandi's code is after SerialOpen function.

I'm using 2.1 with EOSBandi mods without any soldering and it works great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi8amsVH1IM

Armin

Post by Armin »

Probably I found a some bug in EosBandy code.
Because when I start copter first time, GPS also initialises, but the second and next another time, when I power my copter, there is no GPS init. It doesn't work. If I wait, until the GPS battery becomes empty and previous GPS settings reset, I can again start GPS.
Don't understand, what's the matter.

Termic1
Could You post Your code, which You used with copter on video posted by You here? I want to try it with my copter, because I have the same hardware - Crius AIOP + Ublox CN-06 GPS.

vpb

Post by vpb »

I've tried many ways to make Ublox 6m works at the first boot, with EOSBandi patch for version 2.1, and here is the way I succeed :D :

1. De-solder the battery
2. Solder the pin 13+14 (just 13 and 14)
3. Apply EOSBandi instructions
4. After then, I mix some quadworker code. In the GPS.ino, UBLOX_init function
Change

to

for (uint8_t i=0; i<4; i++) {

5. Optional
I like the way everything is stored in config.h, so I change

SerialOpen(GPS_SERIAL,57600);

to

SerialOpen(GPS_SERIAL,GPS_BAUD);

And

msg.measure_rate_ms = 200;

to

msg.measure_rate_ms = GPS_RATE;

In config.h, define baud & rate

#define GPS_BAUD 57600
#define GPS_RATE   200

And the ublox works everytime I plug the battery in. Ofcourse, it's just 5hz with 57600baud.

Still dont know why I cannot config my gps to work at 10hz/115200 with quadwalker's instruction, (solder pin 13&14&15, 13&14, de-solder all, solder & desolder battery ;) ), maybe I'll try again sometimes. Thank EOSBandi & quadwalker!

vpb

Post by vpb »

The same as ublox 6m, but with eeprom for config storage, rechargeable battery, bigger antenna. I think it's perfect for just 4$ more :D.