Android tool to modify PID settings

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
foomatic

Android tool to modify PID settings

Post by foomatic »

In the last few days I've been writing an android-app to modify the PID settings via bluetooth.

This is a first version that should work, it's still quite messy and needs a lot improvement.

What does work:
* Connect to a bluetooth-serial-adapter via SPP
* Read and Modify all settings that are in the official GUI except switch-configuration (they will be kept, though)
* Works with MWC 1.7

Missing features:
* Graphical representation of sensor-values, RC-values, Motor+Servo-Data, Attitude
* polished interface (that won't crash if buttons are pressed in the wrong order)
* proper name

Screenshot (from the eclipse-gui-editor, thus without proper values):
btTest1-screens.jpg

How to use the App:
* download attached archive. This is the Eclipse project directory which contains the source and the compiled package.
* Install binary in bin/btTest1.apk on your device, The App is called "MultiWii remote".
* On Start it will ask to enable BT if it isn't already.
* Press "Connect" to select a bluetooth-device and connect to it.
* Press "PID" to switch to the PID-Settings-screen (thus creating it - this is currently necessary as second step or the app will crash)
* On the PID-Settings screen press "Read" to fetch settings from the MWC, modify the values as you require and press "Write" to send the new values back.
* On the Main Screen "Calibrate" does the same as the Calibrate button in the official GUI
* "Params" fetches settings and write some of them in the Log-Section.

Requirements for the copter:
* Bluetooth-SPP-Device, I have a BTM-222 (see http://www.mikrokopter.com/ucwiki/BTM-222 and http://robotrack.org/include.php?path=article&contentid=260)
* Bluetooth-Settings:
115200 bps
no echo
"generally quiet" (ATQ1 on btm222)

Bitrate over Bluetooth.
The Bluetooth-Serial-adapter communicates with the Atmel on its serial-side using 115200bps. This needs to be configured on the Adapter (most probably). The speed on the
bluetooth-side doesn't need any setting. Bluetooth will manage that itself. Thus no speed-settings are required in the app.

Silence.
The Bluetooth-Adapter should not interfere with the communication. My BTM-222 responds to a bluetooth-connect by sending "Connected <bt-id>" on its serial-side.
That would cause erratic behaviour in MWC (since it doesn't expect such messages). Therefore it's required to switch that off.

General check to see if your BT-Adapter works:
Connect it to your USB-Serial-Adapter, run a terminal-Software at 115200bps on your PC and start the App on the phone.
Press the "Calibrate"-button in the App, a "D" should be sent to terminal. If it isn't, something's wrong in your setup.
Check your wiring and run "BlueTerm" on your Phone for a generic BT/SPP test.

Report success or bugs (or draw a cool icon).
Post will be updated as I improve the app (which won't be before the end of the week).
Attachments
btTest1.zip
(161.06 KiB) Downloaded 600 times

didlawowo

Re: Android tool to modify PID settings

Post by didlawowo »

i'm interesting of your dev, in few day i'll test it with my android when my FC is calibrate with wmp original :)

jwegman

Post by jwegman »

This works with my Sparkfun BluetoothMate Silver (which defaults at 115200). Thanks for sharing. I look forward to using this tonight at our Tuesday indoor fly night!

There is little bug regarding to the main screens "Connect to BT device" status after navigating back to the main screen using the Android devices BACK button from the PID screen. The status changes from "connected" to "not connected" even though the bluetooth adapters connection light still indicates and active connection, I can also still press the "Params" button and gather new info from the multiwii.

foomatic

Post by foomatic »

jwegman wrote:This works with my Sparkfun BluetoothMate Silver (which defaults at 115200).

Great!
jwegman wrote:There is little bug regarding to the main screens "Connect to BT device"

Known bug. Didn't bother, yet, since it doesn't let the App stop working.

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi foomatic,
Just interesting: Would it be possible to share parser class with Processing GUI? This would probably simplify support..

regards,
ziss_dm

foomatic

Post by foomatic »

ziss_dm wrote:Would it be possible to share parser class with Processing GUI?

As far as I remember the Processing-code, I don't think it would compile in Eclipse. Processing makes assumptions about types that are more like C than Java. Also it reads byte-by-byte from the serial filehandle that's connected to MWC. My App waits until a set of data is received completely by the BT-Handler. It is then passed on to the parser. This way looking into the data and pushing it through the wire are completely seperate (which I think is a nicer design).

I did look at the Processing-code when writing the Parser, though. Most names for vars do also match between MWC, GUI and App.

Changes in protocol will be easy to integrate but when the protocol is modified, the rest of the App will (probably) need adjustment as well.

Sharing the Parser would be nice if it was easy, but it would cause more harm than good. I like to see the Processing-GUI and the Android-App as completely different since they differ to much in language and approach on how to do things.

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi,
The idea was to create simple serialize/deserialize class without dependencies to the android.*, utilizing simple abstraction like InputStream/OutputStream. And use it inside processing and Android app.

regards,
ziss_dm

foomatic

Post by foomatic »

ziss_dm wrote:The idea was to create simple

which is definetly the right way to do it. I just don't think it can be done right now.

Chances are that my doubts come from not-knowing the processing-gui good enough and that it's actually quite simple. In that case: go ahead, make an example and if it works out people will start using it.

jwegman

Post by jwegman »

Last night I had the opportunity to fly (and tune) the quads with my bt adapter (sparkfun bluetoothmate silver) on-board while tuning PIDS with my android phone.

It worked as expected as was much easier than using the laptop via usb.

Being able to land the quad (and disarming the motors), pick up the phone (with the app already started and connected) - bam, I was adjusting PIDs!. Hit the WRITE button, arm the motors, and try the new settings out!

The potential with telemetry data is also damn cool.

nenno

Post by nenno »

The app works great... I have a BTM222 with the Robotrack-Adapter.
Many thanks for a very useful Tool...

Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

Hello
I have tested that fantastically with the HTC-Magic and Sparkfun BluetoothMate Silver and am contented with the Ergebniss.
Further in such a way. It is Relief if one on the place fast sometimes some values wants to change.
Am curious on the graphic Gestalltung.
Thanks in the Apps ersteller. :D

Sorry my bad one in English :oops:

Kayle

Post by Kayle »

Hallo Tuxedo,

tipp das ganze in Deutsch in den Google Übersetzer ein, das klingt wesentlich besser als Deine Übersetzung :D

Nur spaß, nicht böse gemeint. Ich finds nur Lustig ->
Thanks in the Apps ersteller
. Ich schmeiß mich weg.

Oder in Englisch -> I throw me away :D

Gruß Kayle

dpackham

Post by dpackham »

check these libraries out.

http://www.circuit-blog.com/sensorgraph ... d-arduino/
http://www.amarino-toolkit.net/index.php/download.html

these can plot sensor data to get a graph like the MultiWiiConf... :)

foomatic

Post by foomatic »

dpackham wrote:check these libraries out.

Nice find. I looked for existing Graph-libraries but didn't find anything usable.

I had a quick look at the examples and it seems they only take care for low level communications (which already works here).
Looking at the their code had a welcome effect, though. I noticed that drawing graphs is much simpler than expected. I'm only missing a few details which I will learn from reading the example. When I get it right I will update my app.

Thanks for the hint.

foomatic

Post by foomatic »

Today I got a little busy and added (basic) graphs.

This is how it looks like:
mwc-main.png
(24.96 KiB) Not downloaded yet

mwc-graph.png
(20.65 KiB) Not downloaded yet

It lacks the necessary amount of safety-checks and is prone to crash if you don't use it as intended.

Intended use is:
* Start the App
* Connect the device (using the "Conn"-Button)
* Press the "Graph"-Button
* Press "refresh"-Button. The graph should start to draw continously.
Internally this enables the "Params"-Checkbox on the main screen which requsts regular updates from the Copter.
* "RC" and "Motors"-Buttons dis-/enable the Bars for Motors and RC-values.

Known bugs:
* The "refresh"-Button should toggle the Checkbox on the main screen. Right it does toggle the button but causes updates only once. Manually toggling the Checkbox does work, though.
* If you set the Checkbox in the main screen before switching to the graph-view, the App may crash (because I send updates to the graph before it has been created).
* Doesn't draw all available Values. Currently displayed are: Cycle Time, Motors, RC, Gyros
If you need Accels or something else, just complain and I'll add it.

Have fun.
Attachments
btTest1.zip
(176.5 KiB) Downloaded 273 times

maxic31

Post by maxic31 »

Hello foomatic!

Nice work ! Thank's

I have a bluetooth module http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=402. The problem is: It is not possible to change baudrate. It is freezed to 9600bauds.
I would like to know, if I change baurate of the arduino side to 9600baud, all is OK with your tool ?

Regards,
Max

foomatic

Post by foomatic »

maxic31 wrote:if I change baurate of the arduino side to 9600baud, all is OK with your tool ?

Yes it is. The wireless BT-side doesn't know anything about bitrates. That is only relevant for the serial connection between Atmel and the wired BT-side.

I wouldn't recommend continous graph-updates during flying, though. The decreased bitrate (thus increased submit-time) will probably increase your cycle-time and degrade flight stability.

maxic31

Post by maxic31 »

Good !

foomatic wrote:The decreased bitrate (thus increased submit-time) will probably increase your cycle-time and degrade flight stability.

Yes you're rigth ! Thank's for the quick response :D

noobee

Post by noobee »

maxic31 wrote:Hello foomatic!

Nice work ! Thank's

I have a bluetooth module http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=402. The problem is: It is not possible to change baudrate. It is freezed to 9600bauds.
I would like to know, if I change baurate of the arduino side to 9600baud, all is OK with your tool ?

Regards,
Max

i think it *should* be possible to change at least the baud rate of this module. you just need to find the right AT command and send it from the wired side of the module (not through bluetooth wireless). try connecting the module to the ftdi module and use the serial monitor at 9600, see if you can send "AT" and if it responds with "OK". if so, try "AT+BAUD8" and see if it responds with "115200OK". if not, the AT command may be slightly different depending on the bluetooth module firmware. good luck.

maxic31

Post by maxic31 »

Hi Noobee,

I have already tested this thing but unfortunately no response from the BT module (for AT command).

But I will try to test one more time for sure.

Can you confirm that "AT" command is an ASCII command and correspond to 0x41, 0x54 ?? and may be a cariage return ?
What is the name of the tool you used to send AT command? I tried with Docklight.

Thank's

NickDestroyer

Post by NickDestroyer »

Hi. I`m working with BTM-222 module and today I made mistake- I set baudrate to 230400 and my PC com port can`t run on that speed to change baudrate. So I ask, how can I reset module to default settings?
Thx

SkyJumper

Post by SkyJumper »

This one seems to work ok, but I found this one on the Android Market and it seems to work much better. I also like the looks.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1428641

NickDestroyer

Module hard reset

Post by NickDestroyer »

Problem resolved-I just set PIO(4) to high for 3 sec. and baudrate back to default

noobee

Post by noobee »

maxic31 wrote:Hi Noobee,

I have already tested this thing but unfortunately no response from the BT module (for AT command).

But I will try to test one more time for sure.

Can you confirm that "AT" command is an ASCII command and correspond to 0x41, 0x54 ?? and may be a cariage return ?
What is the name of the tool you used to send AT command? I tried with Docklight.

Thank's

yes, it is "AT" in ascii and then [enter].

i used the serial monitor in the arduino development environment, set the baud rate and then type on the input command line window.

on some bluetooth modules, you may need to tie one of the PIO lines high on power up to bring it into AT mode (described in a previous post in a related thread). my module is from goodluckbuy and is the most basic version (no master mode, etc).

btw, how did you connect the 3.3v device to the arduino? did you use a regulator and a logic level convertor? or a baseboard which also provides a status LED?

maxic31

Post by maxic31 »

btw, how did you connect the 3.3v device to the arduino? did you use a regulator and a logic level convertor?

I used low drop voltage regulator (ST - LE33A)

Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

Hello foomatic
Very nice apps for mwc. My question if I am connectet and the PID is press the keyboard button opens the keyboard. But I have only read the values ​​with Red Button and this must always include only the keyboard. Is it possible to suppress because I need the keyboard only when I want to change a value. If I then type in the box YAW open the keyboard.

Greetings Harald

Sorry for the bad english.

foomatic

Post by foomatic »

Tuxedo wrote:if I am connectet and the PID is press the keyboard button opens the keyboard.

Not sure if I understood you correctly. You don't want to open the soft-keyboard when you switch to the PID-Settings-screen, right?

I found it annoying myself, but didn't look into it since the keyboard can be disabled with the back-button.

BTW: Ask your question in german, I'll answer in both languages.
Stell deine Frage nochmal auf deutsch :)

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

maxic31 wrote:I have a bluetooth module http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=402. The problem is: It is not possible to change baudrate. It is freezed to 9600baud.

Max,
you have the simplest and least usable (for our purposes) BT module I have heard of so far. I feel truly sorry for you. Can you please tell by what name the module is visible on the other BT side?
Hamburger

PonyoFS

Post by PonyoFS »

Hi,
It was so beautiful, but this app can't be installed on the Archos5IT 500Gb HDD !

Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

Hello foomatic

So when I press after the connect button on the PID immediately goes on the keyboard. Now I must first close the keyboard
then get at the Red button. I prefer to only read the values​​. Only now does the keyboard man when man has a value
will change. Question can open the keyboard off the man when the PID key presses?

Greetings Harald

Wie kann man verhindern das beim drücken des PID Button gleich die Tastatur öffnet. Ich möchte ja zuerst an den Red Button.
Es ist lästig immer die Tastatur zu schließen.

foomatic

Post by foomatic »

Tuxedo wrote:Wie kann man verhindern das beim drücken des PID Button gleich die Tastatur öffnet.

Hat mich auch schon genervt, aber nicht so sehr, dass ich das geaendert hab. Hat 5 min. gedauert das kurz zu ergoogeln und einzubauen. Hier der neue Stand:

Here's an updated version that doesn't open the Keyboard when PID-Screen is opened.
As usual, source is included, apk is in bin/ directory.
Attachments
btTest1.zip
(176.61 KiB) Downloaded 447 times

foomatic

Post by foomatic »

PonyoFS wrote:It was so beautiful, but this app can't be installed on the Archos5IT 500Gb HDD !

It seems like your devices comes with Android 1.6, proper BT came with Android 2.1, so the app won't run on your device - sorry.

BTW: Do you get an error message when you try to install it?

Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

Hallo foomatic

Danke für die Schnelle Änderung. Funktioniert :D :D :D

Gruß Harald

Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

Hallo foomatic

Gibt es bei dir noch Ideen wie man die grafische Darstellung verbessern kann. :?:
Vielleicht könnte man die Grafikseite verkleinern das man nicht mehr scrollen muss.

Gruß Harald

Hello foomatic

Does you have any ideas how to improve the graphics. ::
Maybe you could shrink the graphics side, the one no longer needs to scroll.
Last edited by Tuxedo on Sat May 28, 2011 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxic31

Post by maxic31 »

Hamburger wrote:
maxic31 wrote:I have a bluetooth module http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=402. The problem is: It is not possible to change baudrate. It is freezed to 9600baud.

Max,
you have the simplest and least usable (for our purposes) BT module I have heard of so far. I feel truly sorry for you. Can you please tell by what name the module is visible on the other BT side?
Hamburger

Name of my BT device is Sure

Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

Hi WiiCopter Fans
Here's pause, and there is nothing new in the graphical look Android toll?

Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

Hi Fans
As I see it not continue.
If the project does not work anymore :?: :?: :?:

Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

Hi Fans
As I see it not continue.
If the project does not work anymore :?: :?: :?:

Gibt es nichts neues in der grafischen Darstellung?

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

The App only work on V1.7

The serial comunication has been changed in the Dev versions.
And every dev has it's own MultiWiiConf for PC and isn't compatible. :(

An update on the Android app is neded to get it to work in the Dev's
There is a new Dev release once a week or so.
That means that every Dev need a own Android ver.
It hard to keep up with the updates. :(

It's bad news for us who like to run on the latest Dev and want to test with different PID's.

Hopefully there will come a new Android ver for the 1.8 who is likely to be released soon.

/Patrik

sandmen

Post by sandmen »

Hi,
I have written a Android tool.
You can test ist, so nothing works 100% :D
It should work with the V1.7 and the dev Version.
Many Thanks foomatic, Thanks to the Guys from amarino and Thanks to all the other. :-)

Here is the APK and the Source files.

Press Menu in main Screen for Select FW version (1.7 or 1.8)
Attachments
menu key in diagramm
menu key in diagramm
diagram sensor
diagram sensor
pid settings
pid settings
menu key on main screen
menu key on main screen
main screen
main screen

Kayle

Post by Kayle »

Hi sandmen,

I can't see the apk or the source. Where can i get it?

Greetings kayle

sandmen

Post by sandmen »

Sorry, something went wrong with the upload.
For the Source, i'm sorry but is to big (256kb) is allowed.
If anybody want the source, that's no problem, send me a mail.
Servus
Attachments
AndMultiWiiapk.zip
unzip to apk file
(172.95 KiB) Downloaded 357 times

Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

Hallo Klaus

Super gemacht und läuft super auf dem HTC-Magic.
Leider schaltet die Graph Ansicht nicht auf die Queranzeige um.

Ich bin doch immer begeistert wie sich hier die Modellbauer in der Elektronik
sowie in der Programm Erstellung einbringen. Meinen ausdrücklichen Dank.

Gruß Harald

sandmen

Post by sandmen »

Hi,
If you mean the app AndMultiWii, my name is not Klaus but it's ok. :D

Here is a version, with changing Orientation on Graphic site.
Attachments
AndMultiWii.zip
(172.46 KiB) Downloaded 393 times

Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

Hallo Sandmen

Danke. Ich weis garnicht wie ich auf Klaus gekommen bin.
Apps funktioniert auf Graphik Quer.

Gruß Harald

Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

Hallo Sandmen

Frage zu der Apps Quer?
Sehe ich das Richtig das der interne Lagesensor nicht benutzt wird und
die eine Version die Grafik in der schmalen Version anzeigt und die ander
dann nur die Quer Anzeige?

Gruß Harald

PS: Bist du der gleiche User wie der Sandmen im rc-heli-fan.org Forum?

PeterPilot

Post by PeterPilot »

This is such a grat App!

Please keep developing it!
I hope you implement a feature to save a few PID configs on the phone.
But right now I'm also really happy with the features included already :)

Best regards!

sandmen

Post by sandmen »

@PeterPilot
Yes that should be the next Step.
Load and Save PID settings :-)

@Tuxedo
ja, der bin ich. Warum?

Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo »

Hi, Sandmen

Ich habe nur den gleichen Nicknamen im rc-heli-fan gesehen.
Dann kann man dich ja auch in dem anderen Forum zu diesem
Thema anschreiben. In meinem Alter habe ich es nicht so mit
dem englisch Schreiben.

Gruß Harald

PeterPilot

Post by PeterPilot »

Hi Sandmen,

I'm really interested in your Source-Code to make the software campatible with the latest dev-Versions of the MultiWii-Software.
Would you mind emailing me your code?

Best regards,
Peter