Has anyone ever used rctimer 30amp esc's?

chris ables

Post by chris ables »

Im thinking of ordering some rctimer esc's but rctimer said a resseller said the pwm is only 340hz ! Does anyone know about these and if they will work with multiwii ??

aidensere07

Re: Has anyone ever used rctimer 30amp esc's?

Post by aidensere07 »

chris ables wrote:Im thinking of ordering some rctimer esc's but rctimer said a resseller said the pwm is only 340hz ! Does anyone know about these and if they will work with multiwii ??

Imo you would be better buying flashed simonk escs, you can buy them preflashed at abusemark store, I got a set of 4, they are fantastic value for money and with the simonk f/w they make my quad very stable
:-)

Link to the 30A ones, he also sells 20A and 12A

http://abusemark.com/store/index.php?ma ... ucts_id=27

rreims

Post by rreims »

Flashed mine RCTimer 30A with SimonK and they are working super smoooooth!

Get them straight form rctimer.com:

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=go ... oductname=

chris ables

Post by chris ables »

Thanks for the reply's but i was wondering how they did without flashing them ? I dont want to get into flashing esc's right now ! Didnt know if anyone knew the actual stock refresh rate on these !

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

i like your clothes pin idea, i may actually want to flash mine now, do you have a link to a writeup on your clothespin flash?

rreims

Post by rreims »

Haven´t change to try these pre-flash, flashed them straight away :D

RCTimer ESC pads from left to right:
MOSI MISO SCLK GND VCC RST

For flashing I used Hobbyking KK board USB programmer and kk-flashtool software
http://lazyzero.de/en/modellbau/kkmulticopterflashtool
Pls, see bottom of this page for youtube tutorial video.

All other information and good ideas: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513678

brettwal

Post by brettwal »

Flashed a total of 12 myself and they work great. Can't comment on stock because I flash them straight away as well.

chris ables

Post by chris ables »

I might try and make me a breadboard and pogopin jig to flash some of these ! Which simon file are you using for 30amp ? The only file i see for rct is for the 50 amp ! Could you post that file so i could download ? Thanks for all your input and after lots of research i found their refresh rate is 340hz and they will not work stock on multiwii platform ! Motors stutter and shut off randomly !! I need fast refresh rates for my flying anyways and will try flashing ! Also are you using the kkflashtool to flash them or some other program?

rotary65

Post by rotary65 »

I have 4 installed in a spider quad I scratch built. I<m using them with a FreeFlight 1.31 FC with the latest Baseflight running Turnigy 2813N motors. Last night one of the ESCs died mid flight and resulted in a crash. These are stock.

Interesting about the PWM frequency. Does flashing help this at all? Perhaps this contributed to the failure?

I've bench tested the ESC and it won't even drive the motor anymore. The motor works fine with another ESC.

I had two sudden back flips with this quad before, but I was using the Freeflight SW at the time. I suspect the ESC now.

chris ables

Post by chris ables »

rreims wrote:Haven´t change to try these pre-flash, flashed them straight away :D

RCTimer ESC pads from left to right:
MOSI MISO SCLK GND VCC RST

For flashing I used Hobbyking KK board USB programmer and kk-flashtool software
http://lazyzero.de/en/modellbau/kkmulticopterflashtool
Pls, see bottom of this page for youtube tutorial video.

All other information and good ideas: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513678

i dont have an sclk on my programmer but i have an sclx or just an scl if one of them is an xtal ! and how are you looking at pads on esc when you say left to right ? Also i just see 1 file for rctimer esc"s and it's for the 50 amp ! Is that the file i use ? I am going to try this flashing stuff but dont want to mess up ! It will be on the 30 amp rctimer's !

rotary65

Post by rotary65 »

chris ables wrote:i dont have an sclk on my programmer but i have an sclx or just an scl if one of them is an xtal ! and how are you looking at pads on esc when you say left to right ? Also i just see 1 file for rctimer esc"s and it's for the 50 amp ! Is that the file i use ? I am going to try this flashing stuff but dont want to mess up ! It will be on the 30 amp rctimer's !

The first post on RCG thread he linked has a link to a spreadsheet for compatible ESCs. According to it, the RC Timer 30A uses the tgy.hex file.

The same first RGC thread post also has the pinout for the ATMega 8 which you should use to verify the pinout on the ESC pads before attempting to flash. I just verified the pins on my RC Timer 30A ESCs and the photo above is oriented for the left to right pinout given.

chris ables

Post by chris ables »

Thanks for the layout but i dont see a file on the download page called tgy.hex! And i think the file is in the newest kkflashtool but which one and the reversed one or not ! If you open the kkflashtool you will see what i mean ! That spreadsheet must not be up to date because tgy.hex not on download page! Im confused! I pm'ed rreims and maybe he can tell me exactly which tgy file he used! But the pin layout is with red power wire on left , left to right correct?

chris ables

Post by chris ables »

Ok i think i found it ! Is it the last file on this link or is it one of the newer ones above it ? https://github.com/sim-/tgy/downloads

rotary65

Post by rotary65 »

Chris, from the first RCG thread post (the poster is also flashing RC Timer 30A ESCs)

1- Go there: https://github.com/sim-/tgy
2- Hit the download button on the top right
3- Right click and save as the tgy.hex file from the bottom on the popup. There are newer versions posted from time to time. I used the tgy.hex one, but newer ones could be better! [EDIT: tgy.hex is good for the rctimer ESC and other very classic hw copies with no external oscillator. Depending on your ESC you might want to ask in this thread if you are better off using another compiled .hex. nfet and bfet stuff is getting too technical for me still ^^]

chris ables

Post by chris ables »

Thank you thats what i needed! I will stay with the old one that works! If it works there is nothing better !

signal15

Post by signal15 »

Too bad this firmware hasn't been ported to work on the Silabs F330 chips yet. Apparently it is possible, but no one has done it yet. Many of the ESCs coming out are switching to this chipset, but using the same model number they were when they used Atmel.

rotary65

Post by rotary65 »

Necessity is the mother of invention, so I'm certain someone will port it once there are few ESCs with Amtel. I also think that multi-rotor specific mass market ESCs are inevitable.

rotary65

Post by rotary65 »

I flashed my RC Timer 30A ESCs using simonk tgy.hex firmware. It went well. The odd thing is that the ESC that I thought was messed up now works. I don't trust it, but I have to see how it performs. Since I'm still testing and tweaking my quad, I'll install it and monitor it closely.

It's time to swap out for better quality motors (currently using Turnigy 2213N).

mummi

Post by mummi »

Would this do the trick? Hobbywing Program Card

chris ables

Post by chris ables »

mummi wrote:Would this do the trick? Hobbywing Program Card

not for flashing ! Flashing is installing new firmware in esc ! :D

mummi

Post by mummi »

chris ables wrote:
mummi wrote:Would this do the trick? Hobbywing Program Card

not for flashing ! Flashing is installing new firmware in esc ! :D

Ahh IC I am new :) but I was thinking of getting the F450 frame with motors ans ESCs from rctimer, is it nessesary to flash or just better?

chris ables

Post by chris ables »

Well since i started this post i have seen a couple of people tried them stock and they said motors sputtered and shut off in flight with multiwii firmware and then i heard people say they work good with kk firmware! But i see that most people flashing esc's are doing these rctimer 30amp and having great results with them! But to be fair i dont know anything but what i read and hear , meaning i am not sure if they work stock ! :?

mummi

Post by mummi »

chris ables wrote:But to be fair i dont know anything but what i read and hear , meaning i am not sure if they work stock ! :?

Ok, I guess I shall flash them then :)

sismeiro

Post by sismeiro »

chris ables wrote:Well since i started this post i have seen a couple of people tried them stock and they said motors sputtered and shut off in flight with multiwii firmware and then i heard people say they work good with kk firmware! But i see that most people flashing esc's are doing these rctimer 30amp and having great results with them! But to be fair i dont know anything but what i read and hear , meaning i am not sure if they work stock ! :?

Hi,

I use this ESCs stock with my Crius SE with MultiWii with firmware 1.9 to the 2.1 rc2. I had to configure the timming to high to reduce the clicking noise.

Regards,
Luis Sismeiro

rotary65

Post by rotary65 »

Just FYI for those looking to flash the RC Timer 30A ESC with the simonk firmware. I am successfully flying the 6-01 tgy firmware which has the throttle calibration and bootloader support. The 6-10 version wouldn't work (tried on two ESCs without any motor starts).

The power system is now noticeably smoother and quieter. The quad is much more stable and responsive too. Highly recommended.