HOW-TO: Update FMP04

shufflez

HOW-TO: Update FMP04

Post by shufflez »

Hi guys,

After spending a frustrating (with amazing F1 in background) afternoon getting GPS to work and updated, I thought it might be handy for anyone that I'd write up a little how-to.
I'm working with FMP04 on Paul's (Flyduino.com) GPSBOB v1.1 and a Sparkfun FTDI Basic (5V)

1. Solder everything up, I started with JST-XT connector soldered directly to the GPSBOB connectors, but switched to regular connectors for software update.
2. Connect wires (I just used one servo-extension cable + jumper cable for GND) to FTDI. Just GND to GND, 5V of GPSBOB to 5V of FTDI (although my Sparkfun FTDI says 3V3, it seems to be a silkscreen error).
!! RX from GPSBOB -> RX from FTDI (same for TX->TX) !!
3a. Get firmware + updater from here: http://flyduino.net/documents/FMP04.zip (10Hz, WaaS, 115200Baud version) !! This is only for FMP04-units bought earlier than 12 July 2012 !!
3b. Get firmware + updater from here: http://www.file-upload.net/download-4231947/FMP04_Camled_010327_A1.5E_20110118_10Hz_115200.bin.html (5Hz, WaaS, 115200Baud version)
4. Unpack files from archive + unpack the firmware tool
5. Start FlashTools.exe
6. In Options menu, select corresponding COM-port and speed (9600, 38400, 115200 or Autodetect)
7. Select DA: 3329 and click Download Agent.
8. Select the corresponding file (MTK_AllInOne_DA_MT3329_v4.02.bin in the FlashTool folder)
9. Click ROM and select the file you've downloaded above (FMP04_Camled_010320_A1.5E_20110118_10Hz_38400.bin in my case)
10. Click Download
11. Watch firmware being cleared (RED) and uploaded (BLUE) and get the (GREEN) circle confirming upload :)

If you somehow encounter a (RED) cross with an error, please confirm you've selected the right Download Agent and have actually(!) selected the ROM properly.
No need to use the USB_Loader also provided.

For additional options, you might also use the MTK uploader our ArduPilot (and/or DIY Drones) friends refer to: http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot/downloads/detail?name=MTK_DIYdrones.zip&can=2&q=.

Hope this helps anyone!

Cheers,

Ruben

EDIT: Updated download link
Last edited by shufflez on Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scotth72

Re: HOW-TO: Update FMP04

Post by Scotth72 »

Thanks for this. Just updated my DIY Drones module, now works at 10hz .

howardhb

Post by howardhb »

Yes! Thanks.
My GPS now "remembers" it's settings.

shufflez

Post by shufflez »

You're welcome guys! Glad to be of some service once after long periods of 'leeching' information here :)

LuFa

Post by LuFa »

Hi ,

i have some Questions :

I have a Mediatek MTK3329 GPS Modul (same like Diydrones one) and have Update it with the Instructiom from Diydrones , now its broken :(
now i have buy a second one , the question is : is this the same Firmware like from Diydrones ? can i use this Firmware with my Mediatek MTK3329 Modul ?
Because my GPS Modul doesnt remember the Settings :( and i like to make this update :)

Thanks

Katch

Post by Katch »

shufflez wrote:3b. Get firmware + updater from here: http://www.file-upload.net/download-4231947/FMP04_Camled_010327_A1.5E_20110118_10Hz_115200.bin.html (5Hz, WaaS, 115200Baud version)

Is this a typo? says 5hz but filename is 10hz

shufflez

Post by shufflez »

@LuFa;
What exactly is broken? Can't you flash another firmware version on it?
What's the flash-software's error? Don't exactly know if you can use this firmware for MediaTek's own board.
The F-Tech module I'm using is just using a MT3329 single chip, so it might just work. My guess is that firmware can't actually damage the units, but PLEASE remember: try at your own risk! :)

@Katch:
It might be a typo in the filename, the description from my supplier (Goofy23 from Flyduino) said that to enable WaaS, the module needed to run @ 5Hz.

I haven't got a clue how to read/modify the firmware myself. To be honest, I'm not sure if I even want to know :)
Just wrote this guide because I struggled with getting all the procedures straight myself :)

Katch

Post by Katch »

If you guys care to wait a day or 2 I'll guinea pig the Mediatek MT3329 - I have a module on its way.

Katch

Post by Katch »

Guinea pigging done.

If your GPS is MT3329 based this process should work. I have updated both a Flytron Navigtron I2C device and a cheap serial device that came with 1hz 4600 firmware.

MultiWii preferred firmware in the link below. There is also the Powerflash tool which I prefer to the one in the OP

http://i2c-gps-nav.googlecode.com/files ... -tools.rar

If you are updating a Flytron board you MUST upload a blink sketch to the arduino first and remember to cross RX/TX

The download above also has a think called MTK Mini GPS - you can use this tool to test and check your module. Just connect to it via serial (com) port and click the last tab - There is a button to query the firmware version. If it can read the version then it will update in Powerflash. If it doesn't get a version then you've done something wrong. (ie. not uploading a blink sketch to your i2c device)

rollinolin

Post by rollinolin »

I have the gps module but no bob. I am interested in which bob would work the best with my seeduino mega. also these directions are a bit confusing to me (noob). what do you mean cross tx and rx? does anyone have a dumbed down (for me) procedure. can i just connect gps and bob to the seeduino mega and flash through that since i dont have a usb cable like the ones used for the pro mini?

thanks

edit. Do i even need a bob?

shufflez

Post by shufflez »

Hi Rollinolin,

First off; I'd advice to get a simple FTDI, as they don't cost that much and greatly help with all kinds of multirotor stuff.
AFAIK, there isn't (yet) a possibility within MultiWii to program sensors (or ESC's for that matter) via the FC board.

Secondly; I would suggest using a BoB, like the one I'm using for example, from Paul/Goofy23/Flyduino.net.
There's an onboard power regulator (5V from serial to 3.3V for GPS) on mine, which is quite handy.
It fits nicely above the other boards (and away from interference). And I like the looks :)
See here for more details: http://flyduino.net/Flyduino-FMP04-GPS-Bob_1.

Regarding connecting the GPS; I don't believe the Seeeduino uses a specific connector (like Flyduino MEGA does) for serial 2, so just connect the wires to their corresponding counterparts.
My remark regarding the 'crossing' of TX and RX depend on what sensor/BoB/FC you use. Some BoB & FTDI's already have the connections switches/reversed.
Therefore some cases need to connect TX->TX, other cases need TX->RX (which is the 'logical' way for me).
So you might need to connect the TX from the GPS sensor (or BoB) to the RX from the FC/FTDI (Transmit -> Receive) and vice versa.

Go for trial-and-error, as long as you don't(!) connect 5V from board to any of the TX/RX ports, I guess you'll be fine. The firmware-software will let you know if it can find the GPS sensor to upload firmware (via FTDI).
Just to be sure, always check power-connections first (polarity, right connector) and then let them be.

Hope this helps, because the procedure doesn't get dumbed down much I think, as this is what needs to be done to get firmware on your GPS sensor.
Again, just make sure power connections are good first, then connect TX and RX cables the way you think is right. Try to upload firmware. If this fails, switch/reverse/cross TX/RX and try again.

By the way, did you already get GPS working on the FC?

rollinolin

Post by rollinolin »

no not yet, i have not tried to attatch it yet since i dont have a bob. I think i will wait untill i get one to do it. Thanks for the help.

fr3d

Post by fr3d »

why is it better to update gps to 10hz ?
how much should be the ideal serial for 10hz gps ?(9600,38400,56000,115200)
thx for your help.

mbrak

Post by mbrak »

fr3d wrote:why is it better to update gps to 10hz ?
how much should be the ideal serial for 10hz gps ?(9600,38400,56000,115200)
thx for your help.

for 10hz you need 115200 baud!

flying fast with less than 10hz will give the flightcontrol not a really correct position at every time of calculation.
the other advantage of 10hz is also that you can filter the values to smooth the position (gps-filter).

brettwal

Post by brettwal »

Anyone know how to get by a sync error in FlashTool? I get the red bar then the sync error, no blue or green bar. All connections correct , as are files.

fr3d

Post by fr3d »

I've succeed in update my fmp04 on a flyduino gps bob I'd set flashtool with 9600 bps

taka

Post by taka »

Hi Fr3d,

Are you saying you first comm the computer with the gps bob @ 9600 baud, then you configure the FMP04 for 10Hz output @ 115200 baud ?

shufflez

Post by shufflez »

Taka;
I think that might be just what Fr3d meant, as some USB TTL converters don't play nice on higher baudrates with some devices.
Or at least that's my experience with them.

Brettwal: can you maybe post a screenshot or detailed error message regarding the GPS sync failure?
Have you tried the other version of the tool?

mr.sneezy

Post by mr.sneezy »

I updated my FMP04 from firmware version from the original AXN_1.30 1009 to the one on the original post here, and now the MKT MiniGPS app reports firmware version AXN_1.50 0320. GPS works fine I think (on the test bench).

Not being a MTK GPS guru I'm not sure if that version is the latest and greatest now, or if there is a reason to flash anything newer. Can anyone fill me in on what's the latest version for what we do here (Multicopters).
I'm running BaseFlight (32bit MultiWii port) BTW on my Quad.

Cheers,
Martin

henfri

Post by henfri »

Hello,

I have an FMP04 that I bought used. Thus, I don't know whether it is flashed to 5Mhz/10Mhz and to what baudrate.
I use a Flyduino Mega and a Flyduino Break Out Board for the GPS.

Unfortunately, with all three Baud-Rates (9600, 38400, 115200) the MultiWiiConf does not show me a GPS Fix -I am inside, but close to an outside wall. Probably I should try again outside.. After what time should I get a fix, i.e. how long should I wait until I try the next setting?

Is there a robust way to find the current state of the FMP04s Baud-Rate?

Or should I just flash again? The problem: There seem to be two versions (before mid 2012 and aft) and I don't know which one I have. Besides, I would need a bit of soldering until I have those tiny wires connected to the FTDI -and again to get it back to the normal socket. Or is it possible to redirect all data from Serial 1 to Serial 2 on the Arduino and to flash with the Arduino in the loop?

Here my settings

Code: Select all

#define GPS_SERIAL 2         // should be 2 for flyduino v2. It's the serial port number on arduino MEGA
    #define GPS_BAUD   38400

I appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

BTW: Can someone provide me the Manual of the Break Out Board/FMP04?

Greetings,
Hendrik

capt

Post by capt »

http://www.f-tech.com.tw/uploads/publis ... RevA04.pdf

http://www.f-tech.com.tw/modules/publis ... p?itemid=5

Did you figure this out?
I have the same GPS, it only works with 38400 set in the ConfigH, I would like to run it at 115200 since it is a 10hz GPS.