GPS on Crius SE board

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
Alexinparis

Re: GPS on Crius SE board

Post by Alexinparis »

Pyrofer wrote:Why does it need to be called? Why not parse each incoming line and see if its nmea or not?
Its easy to identify each type of data and react accordingly.

There is no reason it has to "choose" one of the other, both can be supported at the same time based on the incoming data.

This is also how I see the way to share the same UART.
With the new protocol, there is a header.
So it's easy to detect either a NMEA header or a MSP header without the need to sense the presence of a GPS at the init.
just one inconvenient: the Serial speed must be the same between GUI and GPS device

Pyrofer

Post by Pyrofer »

The only problem is the amount of data coming from a GPS device at 10hz.
If Multiwii output "OK" after each set of nmea data (all lines sent, would have to be detected as some GPS send different data) you could in theory attach the GUI and the GPS, the GUI would simply wait for the OK before sending its command. at 115200 baud there should be plenty of time between nmea sets to get a couple commands in and out.
You wouldn't have to do this but you would need robust checksums at each end to watch for corrupted data, if the GUI sent a command at the same time as a nmea string you could easily corrup the data, sanity checking (making sure the data wasn't vastly different to previous data) should mitigate this.

You still need a multiplexing circuit outside the chip though, some simple logic gates would do (some OR gates). If you set up the logic so both send and receive ended up on one single half duplex channel the GUI could watch the NMEA data itself to avoid collisions, and also get that data sent to it for free :)

flyboy_____

Post by flyboy_____ »

PatrikE wrote:
flyboy_____ wrote:How do I know that GPS is locked and that is enabled for position hold and RTH?

The statusLed is normally off when card is unarmed.
With GPSFix it will start to blink fast 3-4Hz when board is unarmed.

The board only check for Gps at boot.
Crius board dont have a reset button and you must disconnect power to restart it.

Connect the comDevice of your choice and the board will detect the type at startup.
The board must be restarted every time you switch interface.

It's possible to reset the board by using a jumper.
Or connect a PushButton to the pins.

Great tip for reset. Thanks
Are those 6 pins suited to connect one AVR programmer? How to do it?
I need this help because after flashing the code to calibrate ESC's now I cant flash the normal MultiWii... I tried reseting at lots of times but it always gives me error avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

Please help me

UPDATE:
Sync error fixed. Moved to a slower PC that gave me time to do the reset.
Reset should be done when sketch size appears on screen

If AVR programmer is usable for this board the we do not need to do manual reset

axskin

Post by axskin »

Hello people, i have a question, i recently bought a crius SE board, to connect a GPS

i can use the serial pins (where actualy i connect the ftdi or bluetooth) but i lost this possibility of connect on of that with gps Serial or i can use a i2c gps, but the board don't have this connector, i can add it , am i right? or not ? thank you all

Pyrofer

Post by Pyrofer »

i2c is probably there somewhere, I have the same issue with my quad.

You would have to find the i2c bus, probably best to tap onto the end of the pullup resistors. If you have a schematic for the board not so hard. If you have a scope, not so hard.
If you have neither. good luck!

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

Solder the i2c cabels as picture shows.

haydent

Post by haydent »

Upgraded MultiWii SE Flight Controller v1.0 version is now available on ebay with I2C port, not sure what else has changed though...

upgrade1.jpg
Last edited by haydent on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

haydent

Post by haydent »

my summary of this thread: (correct me if im wrong)

Atmega 328P based CRIUS boards can either use I2C GPS on the I2C port (one added if not available) or a non-i2c (serial) gps on the UART port, the to do this later one a code 'switch' can be added to disable loading of GUI code and enable the GPS code on the UART port. As both cannot be loaded at the same time, requiring a reboot between GPS & GUI connection.

Possibly OSD that reads its data from MWC via UART (serial) will not work also with UART connected GPS ?

Another issue becoming apparent with these 'Mini' boards is the lack of space for code additions (eg as optioned above), being pretty much full already...

Depending on your plans and needs likely its worth spending the extra $10-$30 to get a Atmega 2560 based board:
(http://www.goodluckbuy.com/mwc-multiwii ... quadx.html
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1648569)

Chip: 328P / 2560
Flash: 32Kb / 256Kb
EEPROM: 1024b / 4096b
SRAM: 2kb / 8kb
Max MHz: 16 / 20
# UART: 1 / 4
(this is raw chip data, and all resources may not be allocated on the multiwii boards, eg UART ports)

Rickybritish

Post by Rickybritish »

Hi I have a neo-6m ublox GPS +nano V3.0 AVR ATmega 328+crius multiwii control board i2c GPS I connect the GPS but don't know how to get it to work,how con I conf it and where can I get the codes from,the copter is conf on 1.9 and it flight but don't know how to get the GPS to work can you help me plz.

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

V1.9 don't do much more than show the coordinats.
You need to run a never ver. to have Gps to any real use.
Dev 120606 for example.

haydent

Post by haydent »

also im not sure how well that ublox module will work as it doesnt do 10hz. (i have no experience though)

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

haydent wrote:also im not sure how well that ublox module will work as it doesnt do 10hz. (i have no experience though)

5Hz is OK, if you swith off the GPS filtering in the code...

haydent

Post by haydent »

thanks for the info, will there be any difference with a 5hz as all the 10hz gps have sold out net wide...

also is that filtering code in mwc ?

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

In Config

Code: Select all

#define GPS_FILTERING              true      // add a 5 element moving average filter to GPS coordinates

haydent

Post by haydent »

so im still wondering am i better of waiting to get a 10hz model ?

axskin

Post by axskin »

Can anyone recommend a good GPS from goodluckbuy? for crius SE ?

haydent

Post by haydent »

they dont have any correctly priced 10hz models

axskin

Post by axskin »

and in other sources anyone now a good gps for crius? Thanks

haydent

Post by haydent »

did you want i2c or serial ? they are both pretty much all out of stock especially the i2c's

axskin

Post by axskin »

i think i want i2c to can connect the GUI what are the alternatives for serials? and I2C ?

haydent

Post by haydent »

these are the ones ive found viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1881&p=16738#p16738

brettwal

Post by brettwal »

I ordered SKYLAB SKM53 from eBay for $26. Connected to Crius SE working fine. Used MiniGPS 1.71 to set it to 115200 and 10Hz update. It used the MediaTek 3339 chip.

haydent

Post by haydent »

great to hear that as ive seen them noted they had the common 10hz chip but didnt want to risk a less talked about brand. price is good though. :)

brettwal

Post by brettwal »

Can anyone tell me how/where I can send the GPS module init strings on startup?

Thanks,

Sympster

Post by Sympster »

Jonit

Post by Jonit »

Sympster wrote:Will this one work? Don't know if it's 5 or 10hz

http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=763&productname=

yes it should work. And it has 5 Hz update rate.

Sympster

Post by Sympster »

Jonit wrote:
Sympster wrote:Will this one work? Don't know if it's 5 or 10hz

http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=763&productname=

yes it should work. And it has 5 Hz update rate.

Thanks! How steady can the "GPS Hold" hold a position on the SE? Any difference between 5hz and 10hz? I have my SE board dialed in tight enough to be hands off the sticks for a few minutes with level, baro and mag locked. Has to be no wind of course but that doesn't happen very often so I need GPS.

Jonit

Post by Jonit »

Sympster wrote:Thanks! How steady can the "GPS Hold" hold a position on the SE? Any difference between 5hz and 10hz? I have my SE board dialed in tight enough to be hands off the sticks for a few minutes with level, baro and mag locked. Has to be no wind of course but that doesn't happen very often so I need GPS.

I have only 5Hz, so I can't compare, but i guess they are very similar in terms of position hold, but of course 10 Hz can be a little bit more accurate.

Benzel

Post by Benzel »

I bought an Neo 6u-blox gps from ebay with serial and i2c connection;

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-Receiver-u- ... 3cc6e30160)

Serial conection is working just fine, changed the baud rate and get a gps fix realy fast. But as i have a Crius SE i would rather use the SDA/SCL pins to connect it to my crius board by i2c ;) .
At the moment it's not working i enabled the "#define I2C_GPS" and changed the "#define GPS_FILTERING" to false. The GPS now has a baud rate of 115200 but also no luck when i lower the baud rate.

Is it possible to use these gps i2c pins or do i still need an extra aurduino to convert rx/tx to i2c?

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Benzel wrote:I bought an Neo 6u-blox gps from ebay with serial and i2c connection;

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-Receiver-u- ... 3cc6e30160)

Serial conection is working just fine, changed the baud rate and get a gps fix realy fast. But as i have a Crius SE i would rather use the SDA/SCL pins to connect it to my crius board by i2c ;) .
At the moment it's not working i enabled the "#define I2C_GPS" and changed the "#define GPS_FILTERING" to false. The GPS now has a baud rate of 115200 but also no luck when i lower the baud rate.

Is it possible to use these gps i2c pins or do i still need an extra aurduino to convert rx/tx to i2c?

Not possibble, for i2c you'll need a separated arduino to do all nav computing.

Benzel

Post by Benzel »

Thanks, was already afraid for that.
Would the rctimer Multiwii FC I2C-GPS NAV Module work with my gps?
(http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=go ... oductname=)

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Benzel wrote:Thanks, was already afraid for that.
Would the rctimer Multiwii FC I2C-GPS NAV Module work with my gps?
(http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=go ... oductname=)

Absolutely...

Benzel

Post by Benzel »

Thanks, will order one from rctimer :)

Sympster

Post by Sympster »

I just got in the RCtimer setup today and have been trying it out tonight. Also got the Crius V1.0 FC board. I flashed the board to dev 6-22. Commented out GPS baudrate line, and uncommented IC2 line and all the other normal non-gps stuff. Only watching it across the FTDI now, not connected to my quad. I had to change the baud rate on the GPS from 9,600 to 115,200 according the the RCTimer product page which I did with u-center. I can see the readings and get satalite lock just fine in u-center. I hooked it up the the Crius FC board, an led lights up solid on the GPS board and another led continuously flashes on the RCtimer IC2 board. I opened 6-22 MultiWiiConfig, set all my PIDs, started reading the accels, etc... but nothing shows up in the GPS lat and long boxes. I would assume if the GPS is working, it would show up in the boxes. Any ideas?

Sympster

Post by Sympster »

Ok, I got the RCTimer GPS & I2C board working with the smaller Crius V1.0 board. I used U-Center to config the baudrate to 115,200 and the sampling rate to 5hz. Seemed hard to get the config setting changes to stick. I could never get the protocal to stay on only "NMEA", it would always switch back to "0+1+2 - UBX+NMEA+RTCM". Does seem to matter because the it's working with the board. I used this as a general guide on how to write the settings in u-center:

http://code.google.com/p/ardupirates/wiki/UbloxGPSTutorial

I never had to flash the RCtimer IC2 board, it must already have the R33 code flashed to it. Once you hook it up the GPS light stays a constant green, never changes even when it aquires satalites. On the IC2 board, powers up to a slow flash and once it has a certain # of satalites locked, it starts flashing on/off 3 times fast, then pauses, then repeats. I installed everything on my quad and it seems to work. Need to tweak some of the PIDs. Few questions:

--What does Pos, PosR, and NavR do?
--When I activate GPS Hold, I also activate Level, Baro and Mag. Is this correct? I just want to it hold in a fixed position in the sky. I
--I see on the config GUI that ther is a Alt reading under GPS. Does the code ever use this?
--I have a DJI 450 with the GPS receiver mounted out about 2" out one arm. Is this the proper way to mount it?
--Any recommended GPS related PID setting to get this to really lock in? I running Dev 20120622. Have people been successful getting this to really lock in? On my setting now, it wanders +/- 5 meters. It was a bit windy though. Will try it when it's calm.
--Is there a android bluetooth app for Dec 20120622 of the firmware? It would be really nice not to have to hook it up to the laptop each time.

Thanks!

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Sympster wrote:Ok, I got the RCTimer GPS & I2C board working with the smaller Crius V1.0 board. I used U-Center to config the baudrate to 115,200 and the sampling rate to 5hz. Seemed hard to get the config setting changes to stick. I could never get the protocal to stay on only "NMEA", it would always switch back to "0+1+2 - UBX+NMEA+RTCM". Does seem to matter because the it's working with the board. I used this as a general guide on how to write the settings in u-center:

http://code.google.com/p/ardupirates/wiki/UbloxGPSTutorial

I never had to flash the RCtimer IC2 board, it must already have the R33 code flashed to it. Once you hook it up the GPS light stays a constant green, never changes even when it aquires satalites. On the IC2 board, powers up to a slow flash and once it has a certain # of satalites locked, it starts flashing on/off 3 times fast, then pauses, then repeats. I installed everything on my quad and it seems to work. Need to tweak some of the PIDs. Few questions:

--What does Pos, PosR, and NavR do?
--When I activate GPS Hold, I also activate Level, Baro and Mag. Is this correct? I just want to it hold in a fixed position in the sky. I
--I see on the config GUI that ther is a Alt reading under GPS. Does the code ever use this?
--I have a DJI 450 with the GPS receiver mounted out about 2" out one arm. Is this the proper way to mount it?
--Any recommended GPS related PID setting to get this to really lock in? I running Dev 20120622. Have people been successful getting this to really lock in? On my setting now, it wanders +/- 5 meters. It was a bit windy though. Will try it when it's calm.
--Is there a android bluetooth app for Dec 20120622 of the firmware? It would be really nice not to have to hook it up to the laptop each time.

Thanks!

Preliminary docs are here http://code.google.com/p/i2c-gps-nav/downloads/list this will be updated for the MultiWii 2.1 release.

Sympster

Post by Sympster »

Thanks, when do you think 2.1 will be released?

sandro

Post by sandro »

Hello everybody !
Im Sandro from Germany !

Currently i would like to play around with my CRIUS SE Board and the possibilitys of MultiWii, now i need your help !

I have a CRIUS SE Board and now i want to buy another Arduino Board for AutoPilot Programming and Testing.
But since my CRIUS SE Board has all the Sensor that an AutoPilot-Board needs too, i dont want to buy new sensors, i want to use the Crius SE Sensors.

So:
Is there a way to transfer the Sensor Values from the CRIUS SE to another Arduino Board?
Maybe using I2C or maybe using the Source Code of MultiWii?

Is there any Port i could use for sharing Sensor Values with the second Arduino, without losing my GUI ?

Thanks for your Help
Alessandro

WhiteGraphite

Post by WhiteGraphite »

Not having much luck with this :( I have the following :

IMG_5581.jpg

MWC FC CN-06 GPS Receiver

IMG_5579.jpg

FC I2C-GPS NAV Module

I have it connected to the Crius via the Bluetooth / Lcd screen port which can be done once the correct code it commented ?

I'm trying Release 2.0 and dev_20120622 but between the two I'm not sure what to comment. In 2.0 I used

//serialCom();

#define GPS_SERIAL 0 // should be 2 for flyduino v2. It's the serial port number on arduino MEGA

But the I2C-GPS NAV module just slowly blinks :( Any ideasand thanks in advance!

twm

AW: GPS on Crius SE board

Post by twm »

I ordered the same gps kit and am still waiting for it but: i would say if you use the serial to i2c converter you should also use i2c gps in the config instead of serial gps?

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

To use serial Gps on a 328 FC.
You ust use GPS_PROMINI_SERIAL

//#define GPS_SERIAL 2 // should be 2 for flyduino v2. It's the serial port number on arduino MEGA
    #define GPS_BAUD   115200

#define GPS_PROMINI_SERIAL    57600 // Will Autosense if GPS is connected when ardu boots!.....

Actually it should ba named GPS_ON_328_SERIAL in stead?..

WhiteGraphite

Post by WhiteGraphite »

I have a few more questions and any help would be appreciated.

1. Can I connect the Gps module to the I2C-GPS NAV module and the connect that to the UART port? (Starting to think I can't)

2. What code exactly is needed for serial or I2C connection?

I'm using the connection method from question 1. and the following code:

#define GPS_PROMINI_SERIAL    57600 // Will Autosense if GPS is connected when ardu boots!.....

#define I2C_GPS

I'm sure that I'm missing something.

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

WhiteGraphite wrote:I have a few more questions and any help would be appreciated.

1. Can I connect the Gps module to the I2C-GPS NAV module and the connect that to the UART port? (Starting to think I can't)

2. What code exactly is needed for serial or I2C connection?

I'm using the connection method from question 1. and the following code:

#define I2C_GPS

I'm sure that I'm missing something.

#define GPS_BAUD is for Mega 2560 based boards with 3 serial ports.
#define GPS_PROMINI_SERIAL is for all Atmega 328 boards with only one serial (Pro mini, UNO, Crius SE,...)
#define I2C_GPS is if you have additional navigational board (normally Pro Mini), and can be used with all above setups.

Usually/normaly you can use only one of above defines and in first two cases you must define proper baud rate (115200 or 57600).

WhiteGraphite

Post by WhiteGraphite »

I decided to just solder the wires from theI2C-GPS NAV module to the Crius Se and commented #define I2C_GPS. The Gps gets a 3D lock and shows 15 satellites in the Gui, but when the I2C-GPS NAV module + GPS is connected all other sensors stop in the Gui. I also noticed that when the the Nav+Gps are not connected and #define I2C_GPS is still commented the I2c errors are still present in the GUI, but the sensors all work. So... any ideas? :cry:

vpb

Post by vpb »

Hi, I want to use both GUI & GPS, so the only solution with Crius SE is soldering an output port for I2C, and no need to use FC I2C-GPS NAV Module. Can somebody confirm that? Is sb using that method successfully?

Thanks!

Jonit

Post by Jonit »

vpb wrote:Hi, I want to use both GUI & GPS, so the only solution with Crius SE is soldering an output port for I2C, and no need to use FC I2C-GPS NAV Module. Can somebody confirm that? Is sb using that method successfully?

Thanks!

you need to solder I2C wires and then you need to use I2C GPS module. If you have only serial GPS module then you need to place between your Crius board and GPS unit this module: http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=762&productname=

Jonit.

vpb

Post by vpb »

Thank you, Jonit. Is there any difference between i2c & serial gps module? I see some recent boards prefer to use serial port for GPS.

Jonit

Post by Jonit »

vpb wrote:Thank you, Jonit. Is there any difference between i2c & serial gps module? I see some recent boards prefer to use serial port for GPS.

basically all GPS modules are serial. Many people who own flight controllers with Atmega 328 processor insert I2C modules between GPS and flight controller because flight controllers with Atmega 328 processor have only one serial port. Of course you can connect your GPS via serial port, but then you can't use GUI, because that one serial port is used by GPS at the moment. So solution to this, if you want to use GUI and GPS at the same time is to connect your GPS via I2C port and to do that you need "some hardware" (I2C module, like this one http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=762&productname=) inserted between your controller and GPS to convert that serial protocol to I2C protocol.
If you have flight controller with more advanced processor (e.g. ATMega 2560), which has 4 serial ports, you don't need to use I2C module because you have four free serial ports, so you can be using GUI, GPS, Bluetooth, ... at the same time.
Hope you understand it now more clearly ;)

Jonit.

vpb

Post by vpb »

ok tks you, I see it's clear now.