first time quad builder having headache!!

This forum is dedicated to all issues and questions related to your individual setups and configurations
divingdingo

first time quad builder having headache!!

Post by divingdingo »

Firstly i want to apologise for my first post being a noob question and possibly one that's been asked a thousand times before. (although i have silently tried to read all the forums to conquer my issues before making this post!)

I've spent 6 months practicing flying on a elite copter but made the budgeted jump to get a quad from GLB recently. it was the X525 from china with the crius mulitwii SE board. i've coupled this with my old copter's spektrum AR6100e rx as i thought it could do the job for now.

i'm very new to wiring, programing boards and configuring ESC's and the like and after 5 solid days of head banging and trying all different avenues i have come to the conclusion that i need help!!

i've (to a certain extent) programed the ESC's through the throttle coupling of the rx unit and although the controls seem to be reversed i'm getting action so kinda successful!!

i'm understanding that the rx needs a ground and a signal from each of the 4 variables. throttle, roll, pitch and yaw so i have tried to work out how to wire these based on what i seen online.... i'm not sure if it's clear in my video but it hasn't had much luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbK-AlGUahg

previous in carnations of wiring i would have indications on the multiconfig program with the top right indicators registering stick movement but alas the graph was flat lining... and even now i have a random red line fluctuating rapicly along the timeline.

i think i would like exact advice as to how to wire between the board and my AR6000e (do i need 4 servo wires or can i do it with three...) also if anyone has any idea about the flashing of the board with the correct config file and what lines i need to uncomment then i would be eternally greatful. the packaging of the board had this on: 'Multiwii SE v0.2 MWC v1.9

i thank you in advance for your time reading and possibly helping a embarrassed noob out.

mark

bill516

Re: first time quad builder having headache!!

Post by bill516 »

I am assuming that you are supplying your board from a bec and the board supplies power to the RX. So long as your Rx has one +ve and one -ve connection you only need to connect the signal lines for any other channel. If you look at a servo lead you will see that it will connect three signal lines using one lead and will supply a signal and power supply to Rx from board. which would cover the Elevator, Rudder, Ailerons, and Throttle any other channel you use would only need the signal connecting.

This setup is different from a normal RC setup as we dont need to use servos for Quad or more motors. Servos need there own power supply to run the motor in them but as some of our setups dont need servos we can just to use the signal.

divingdingo

Post by divingdingo »

thanks.. actually that makes a little sense as i originally had that setup. with the rx having power supplied through the throttle connection and the other three running from a wire which had one connector one end and three female connectors the other.

and when i did this i was getting the multiwii config program showing that variations on the levers where giving the corresponding flutuations in figures... however the graph and bottom right quad was acting dead!!

i'll revert back to that wiring then... i can only assume that i haven't loaded up the correct firmware and that the config.h file that i need to customise for my board hasn't been customised by me correctly.

i still can't work out why the ESC where configured in reverse and don't know where to alter this!

i'm unsure where to turn... it was my local hobby shop owner that said that forums are too confusing then told me that i would need the signal and ground from every variable coming into the rx!! lol...

thanks once again for you time. do you think any photos would help anyone diagnose the issue? if so let me know what info would be best.

mark

mr.rc-cam

Post by mr.rc-cam »

i still can't work out why the ESC where configured in reverse and don't know where to alter this!

If you mean that some brushless motors are turning the wrong direction then this is fixed at the ESC/MOTOR wiring. There are three MOTOR/ESC wires. Randomly pick any two of these wires, swap them, and the motor will turn the other direction.

- Thomas

divingdingo

Post by divingdingo »

no. i meant that when the tx throttle lever is in the up position (something i would relate to being full power) then the motors are stopped. only increasing velocity as i pull the stick towards me. i'm guessing i can change this somewhere... but i can't seem to get the esc to configure the other way.

mr.rc-cam

Post by mr.rc-cam »

no. i meant that when the tx throttle lever is in the up position (something i would relate to being full power) then the motors are stopped. only increasing velocity as i pull the stick towards me.

That is solved at the R/C transmitter using the throttle channel's SERVO REVERSE mix feature.

- Thomas

divingdingo

Post by divingdingo »

thanks thomas.

although i have tried switching the little switches across to reverse them... i must not be finding the correct one.

but thank you confirming that.

i guess next is working out which firmware to install and how to customise the config.h for my set up. :/ would anyone have any recommendations. or links... i'm trying to piece it all together but still no luck whatsoever.

mark

divingdingo

Post by divingdingo »

it looks like i haven't been to far wrong with the wiring now which considering there isn't much to get wrong is a little embarressing but hey ho. and thank you for your responses.

that said i'm getting some very crazy readings on multiwii config... at the end of the little youtube vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTPzlAnj7QY

could anyone give me some pointers?

thank you all.

mark

Dellow

Post by Dellow »

The blue LED flashing on your board means that you haven't calibrated the accelerometer. On the GUI you will see a button 'Calib_Acc' - click this with the quad perfectly level and stable and the GUI graph should calm down. Don't touch the quad until the calibration has finished. Then you can calibrate the magnetometer using 'Calib_Mag'. For this you need to click the button, then within 30 seconds rotate the quad around all three axis.

Once you've done all that, with propellors removed, low throttle and right yaw (rudder) will arm the motors, and you should start seeing the motor bars in the GUI respond to the quad's movement once the throttle is opened up a little.

Hope this helps.

bill516

Post by bill516 »

Cant really tell too much from that vid its not big enough and too jerky, drink more beer then it wont jerk around as much unless you drink too much. Looking at the brief glimpse of the trace I would say you havnt calibrated your acc, if you have, you have a problem and will never be able to fly without fixing it. The trace needs to be a flat a line when the copter is stationary only when you move it should the trace lines move but not as much as they are unless your really throwing it around.

After calibrating acc should read roll 0,pitch 0, Z 200 ish, Gyro should read roll 0, pitch 0, Z 0, dont bother with other sensors at the mo. If you get that nice flat trace then fire up the motors with props on and hold it securely in your hand, throttle up till you feel it trying to move in your hand either lifting or pitching or rolling hold throttle there and see if the trace is flat, some movement is OK but not too much. If you do the holding with props on be very careful they are like knives whirring around at high speed and are no respecter of Human flesh. BTW you will have to calibrate acc to get the motors to arm.

divingdingo

Post by divingdingo »

wow... guys. i want to say thanks heaps...

i was half way through another youtube video which showed how to calibrate the acc. which completely sorted out the blue led and the crazy graph. then saw your replies about arming the motors... amazing. then i had a beer as recommended!! :)

i guys that is the end of the beginning and now i start the calibration.

i must say that i think i made it more complicated than it actually was, but because of this read more and probably learnt more. (one would hope!) and actually came across this forum which is a plus.

once again thanks to all those that helped at this early stage of my quad life.

has anyone any simple words of advice for a noob on flying for the first time??

with regards
mark

bill516

Post by bill516 »

Yes dont use full thottle for take off.

Dont use level mode for first flight, as it hasnt been trained yet. If you do take off in this mode your copter will want to fly in what it thinks is level but it may not be and you will be fighting the gyro and acc. Lots of noobs seem to think that level mode is, it will take off and fly level, then they cant understand why it wants to flip and do strange things.

Use acro (gyro only) trim motor rpms with GUI then flight test and tweak Tx trim as you need.

Once you get hands off hover then you can start to trim level mode. http://ncopters.blogspot.de/2012/04/how ... on-in.html
is a good explanation of how to use the inflight method, I found the passthrough method easiest to use.

divingdingo

Post by divingdingo »

thanks guys. sounds great.

although i seem to have gone backwards today. I can't seem to connect the USB to multiconfig or Arduino today. nothing is working. restarted computer. programs, changed usb cable. nada. ziltch... means i can't do the big motor trims in gui. :(

batteries are changed. tx batteries seem ok.

the board gives a few beeps when i connect up the usb and load arduino but afterwards i just get error messages.... mostly just can't find serial port.

so not really sure what to do.

ideas?

mark