GPS integration

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
EOSBandi

Re: GPS integration

Post by EOSBandi »

seeers wrote:Hold position works perfectly with 20120618!
Many thanks to all developers!

Yepp, confirm. Just tested booth i2c and serial it works....

Jonit

Post by Jonit »

EOSBandi thank you for fixing that 2km error in serial code, I'll test it as soon as possible! :D

EDIT: hmm... just loaded new dev_20120622 into my FC and I am still getting that 2km error :? what am I doing wrong? PS: (I have TinyGPS)

Jonit

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Jonit wrote:EOSBandi thank you for fixing that 2km error in serial code, I'll test it as soon as possible! :D

EDIT: hmm... just loaded new dev_20120622 into my FC and I am still getting that 2km error :? what am I doing wrong? PS: (I have TinyGPS)

Jonit

Sorry, TinyGPS is not my table. I work on Serial and I2c gps part only. I suspect that Tommie's gps coord calc still has some error.

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Okay Folks,
Just come back from the field, tested serial gps code with U-blox neo6 gps. (Code Dev0622) It is AWESOME! No filtering needed at all. The only trick is to have as large GPS antenna as you can. I ordered these from GLB : http://www.goodluckbuy.com/rabbit-gps-r ... oller.html (Mine not exactly looks like the same, but it still has a small connector for GPS antenna.) Then I replaced the original 18x18mm antenna with a 25x25mm active one. (The PA6B module has a 15x15mm antenna). Now on the field the GPS see 10 sats (7-8 with the PA6B) and the coordinate deviation is less than 1.5m.
Here is a kml log of a flight with Poshold and some RTH, and a picture of the different antennas.
IMG_1402.jpg
Attachments
mwgpstrack-123524-0835.zip
takeoff in poshold, then fly away three times, set PH then RTH
(1.61 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
Last edited by EOSBandi on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LuFa

Post by LuFa »

Hi Eos ,

sounds great !
can you tell us how did you config the Ublox modul ? via u-center ?
did you have a config file ?

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

LuFa wrote:Hi Eos ,

sounds great !

Hi, I did not save a config file, but changed only three setttings with u-center.

Baudrate : 115200
update rate : 100ms (It seem that Ublox IS support 10Hz update rate)
NMEA sentences as usual.

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

Hi,
about the 2km error, MIS told me this some times ago:
But I don't know why, if I turn on GPS filtering in mwii code, i see some differencies (about 0.001 deegres) beetwen latitude displayed at OSD and latitude displayed in mwii config, and only at latitude... This need some investigation.
I didn't take time to check

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Alexinparis wrote:Hi,
about the 2km error, MIS told me this some times ago:
But I don't know why, if I turn on GPS filtering in mwii code, i see some differencies (about 0.001 deegres) beetwen latitude displayed at OSD and latitude displayed in mwii config, and only at latitude... This need some investigation.
I didn't take time to check

Nope, It was definitely some calculation error. I checked the coordinates on the map:
NMEA output from the GPS module : OK
Coord from I2cGPS : OK
Serial GPS : Skimmed code : error
Serial GPS : original code : OK
This is why I checked back the original code for NMEA coord parsing.

haydent

Post by haydent »

EOSBandi wrote:Okay Folks,
Just come back from the field, tested serial gps code with U-blox neo6 gps. (Code Dev0622) It is AWESOME! No filtering needed at all. The only trick is to have as large GPS antenna as you can. I ordered these from GLB : http://www.goodluckbuy.com/rabbit-gps-r ... oller.html (Mine not exactly looks like the same, but it still has a small connector for GPS antenna.) Then I replaced the original 18x18mm antenna with a 25x25mm active one. (The PA6B module has a 15x15mm antenna). Now on the field the GPS see 10 sats (7-8 with the PA6B) and the coordinate deviation is less than 1.5m.
Here is a kml log of a flight with Poshold and some RTH, and a picture of the different antennas.
IMG_1402.jpg

good tip on the antenna

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Here is a RCTimer ubox GPS unit, do anyone know if it will work? I love the price: http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=go ... oductname=

Also, is this unit required if using serial: http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=go ... oductname=

haydent

Post by haydent »

copterrichie wrote:Here is a RCTimer ubox GPS unit, do anyone know if it will work? I love the price: http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=go ... oductname=

Also, is this unit required if using serial: http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=go ... oductname=

its mentioned here as working

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1881&p=16738#p16738

that other bit is if you want to run it in i2c nmode rather than serilal. which depends on what board you running and if you go a spare serial or not

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Thank you, think it is time to upgrade my GPS unit. :)

Mac9

Post by Mac9 »

Not a reply its just a plea.
I have a Sparkfun Serial GPS unit and yes you all have concluded correctly The I/O pins have separated from the board taking with them some of the tracks.
Anyone out there who would, for a fee repair the unit. I have neither the equipment, the skill or the inclination to do so. Obviously cost is important if the cost of repair is close to $25 then I will bin and buy one from RC Timer.
Send me a PM if you can help, to minimise postage costs and time I would prefer a repair carried out in UK or Europe but its not that important so please if you are outside this area and are able to repair still get in touch. I will pay by PayPal direct payment in the currency of your choice.

Regards

John

Katch

Post by Katch »

You have a PM

LuFa

Post by LuFa »

Hi

can anyone tell me where i can find the newest I2C GPS Nav code for the newest Mwii dev ?
on the googlecode site from eosbandi i can only find r33 , but i have read about a the new nav rate controller and cant find it .

thanks

quadflyer8

Post by quadflyer8 »

LuFa wrote:Hi
can anyone tell me where i can find the newest I2C GPS Nav code for the newest Mwii dev ?
on the googlecode site from eosbandi i can only find r33 , but i have read about a the new nav rate controller and cant find it .
thanks

that would be interesting for me, too :)
Have working serial GPS with dev_20120622 on COM2 of a flyduino, but want to try navigatron i2C GPS on a Promini 328...

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

code for i2c gps is with r33, multiwii code is in the dev, nav rate control added to the multiwii code.
So upload r33 to the i2cgps board and use the latest dev multiwii :)

Mac9

Post by Mac9 »

Mac9 wrote:Not a reply its just a plea.
I have a Sparkfun Serial GPS unit and yes you all have concluded correctly The I/O pins have separated from the board taking with them some of the tracks.
Anyone out there who would, for a fee repair the unit. I have neither the equipment, the skill or the inclination to do so. Obviously cost is important if the cost of repair is close to $25 then I will bin and buy one from RC Timer.
Send me a PM if you can help, to minimise postage costs and time I would prefer a repair carried out in UK or Europe but its not that important so please if you are outside this area and are able to repair still get in touch. I will pay by PayPal direct payment in the currency of your choice.

Regards

John

All you guys and girls who red this and were about to offer your assistance thanks but no thanks I have arranged a repair.

Regards

John

LuFa

Post by LuFa »

Hi EosBandi ,

Today i have receive my Ublox Neo-6m :)
But i have proplems with the configuration :

In the Config menü i have Change the following thinks :

115200 boudrate
5hz
NME Output

After that i have select " Save current configuration " and send it to the modul .
All changes are Send and the Ublox send for this moment with 115200baud 5hz and NMEA .
But after restart , all settings are remove :(

Edit : My gps have no Backup battery

Did you have make some Updates or any else ?

Jonit

Post by Jonit »

LuFa wrote:But after restart , all settings are remove :(

follow this guide: http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/tutorial-programming-your?xg_source=activity

Jonit

LuFa

Post by LuFa »

ok , have test it know .
but doesnt work to :(
because the config file is for Lea-5h i think ?
i can upload the config file and it runs with 34800baud , but after restart all is remove .

have anywhere a config file for the Neo-6m ?

flyrobot

Post by flyrobot »

Hi,

My flyduino board has problem, the molex interface port for gps port was dropped off it self after its fall down from table. The soldering pad was peeled off from the pcb. I planned to change the GPS serial port (serial 2) to serial 3.
can someone help me to point the right pin in the code in arduino IDE?

Thanks,

John

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

flyrobot wrote:Hi,

My flyduino board has problem, the molex interface port for gps port was dropped off it self after its fall down from table. The soldering pad was peeled off from the pcb. I planned to change the GPS serial port (serial 2) to serial 3.
can someone help me to point the right pin in the code in arduino IDE?

Thanks,

John

just here:

//#define GPS_SERIAL 2 // should be 2 for flyduino v2. It's the serial port number on arduino MEGA

flyrobot

Post by flyrobot »

Hi Alex,

Many thanks for quick response. If i change it to GPS_SERIAL 3, is any effect to LCD or other devices using serial ?

Regards,

John

flyrobot

Post by flyrobot »

I just made it GPS_SERIAL 3, it doesn't work. I have to change the serial from 2 to 3, because the molex port has gone and soldering pad was totally lost. I have two option, connect directly to pin 16 (tx) and 17(rx) on mega chip or using another serial (3 LCD), im not using LCD.

Thanks,

John

Killab

Post by Killab »

Does the baro matter thats being used with the gps? I have the V1E quadrino board and my buddys got the previous board. So just wondering if it really matters for him to upgrade to the newer baro.

edge

Post by edge »

Hey,
today i tried GPS mit the new DEV version and the i2c code r33.
i took my netbook and started to walk with my copter, to see whether the homearrow ist correct. but it always shows 180 degress in the wrong direction.
i thought, the calibration of my compass is wrong, but the middle arrow always shows in the correct direction.
cheers,
Alex

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

edge wrote:Hey,
today i tried GPS mit the new DEV version and the i2c code r33.
i took my netbook and started to walk with my copter, to see whether the homearrow ist correct. but it always shows 180 degress in the wrong direction.
i thought, the calibration of my compass is wrong, but the middle arrow always shows in the correct direction.
cheers,
Alex

its a mixup between serial gps i2cgps and the gui. I'll sort it out, it has to be home to copter direction. luckily it has nothing to do with the navigation, since this only calculated for the gui.
you can fly with it safely.

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Killab wrote:Does the baro matter thats being used with the gps? I have the V1E quadrino board and my buddys got the previous board. So just wondering if it really matters for him to upgrade to the newer baro.

a good working baro is need for alt hold, since gps code does not includes altitude controlling, you don't need it for gps.
BUT
the current roadmap for gps includes altitude handling, and for that you will need a good working baro. bmp020 is marginally ok, so a board with a new MS baro is recommended. The only problem is that MS baro code is huge and you won't be able to use serial gps in the future with this baro on a 328p board.

edge

Post by edge »

Hey,
today i tried Position Hold with my Quad.
but when i Flip the Switch for PH, nothing Happens.
i See 7 satelliten in the GUI and GPS seems to work.
did i forget sonething? I use i2c GPS with a crius SE.
Cheers,
Alex

Killab

Post by Killab »

EOSBandi wrote:
Killab wrote:Does the baro matter thats being used with the gps? I have the V1E quadrino board and my buddys got the previous board. So just wondering if it really matters for him to upgrade to the newer baro.

a good working baro is need for alt hold, since gps code does not includes altitude controlling, you don't need it for gps.
BUT
the current roadmap for gps includes altitude handling, and for that you will need a good working baro. bmp020 is marginally ok, so a board with a new MS baro is recommended. The only problem is that MS baro code is huge and you won't be able to use serial gps in the future with this baro on a 328p board.

Thanks for your reply. So would a separate breakout board be necessary? I think the flytron gps board has a 328p chip on it too. I'm not real sure. I just want to try the gps but not sure which to use. There are so many choices out.

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Stay tuned, there will be a detailed manual when MUltiWii 2.1 is released.

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

Hello,
I encountered strange behavior with serial GPS code on Crius SE with 0622 (and possible earlier).

1. PH and RTH sometimes switch into "ESCAPE" :) mode, in both modes my quad sometimes accelerate violently into random direction and I must take manual control to stop it. After just switching PH or RTH to on and off (during same flight and manual correction) it continues with working PH or RTH (sometimes until end of flight). I've have it on video, couple of times (first starts around 2 min 10s and around 5 min)(and it works O.K. at around 4 min and PH good at 6 min 30s), after activating RTH and almost reaching home position it moves away rapidly (around 2 min 30 sec)... The problem is more intensive/frequent in windy conditions. My flight procedure is normally: takeoff in acro, switch on mag. and level, stabilize hight and switch on baro, stabilize position and switch on PH or move into one direction and switch RTH on.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn2Qkv3nvkI

2. On my last flight I accidentally took of with PH enabled and when I tried to flip quad (like in first video at around 8 sec) the engines stopped/lost thrust in midair and it crashed (fall from sky). Some time ago I tried flip with enabled "level mode" and that problem did not occur. Otherwise those engines + flashed ESC combination works O.K. (tested many times with flips, FFF and other violent TH changes)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0chVWOO_1E

Mag. calibrated and works O.K., normally yawing with PH on makes no problems.

My setup: 1kg quadX, Crius SE, serial GPS, extended range ESC's, LS20031 GPS set to 5Hz and 115200,
PID'd (top down as in gui):
R 8.5 0.030 30 rate 0.7 TPA 0.15
P 8.5 0.030 30
Y 8.5 0.045 0 rate 0.2
A 1.6 0.015 9
Pos 0.1 0.0
PosR 1.5 0.08 0.045
NavR 1.4 0.20 0.080
L 7.0 0.010 100
Mag 4.0

Th. c. MID 0.5
EXPO 0.00

RC Rate 1.15
Expo 0.45

Regards
Andrej

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

crashlander wrote:Hello,
I encountered strange behavior with serial GPS code on Crius SE with 0622 (and possible earlier).

1. PH and RTH sometimes switch into "ESCAPE" :) mode, in both modes my quad sometimes accelerate violently into random direction and I must take manual control to stop it. After just switching PH or RTH to on and off (during same flight and manual correction) it continues with working PH or RTH (sometimes until end of flight). I've have it on video, couple of times (first starts around 2 min 10s and around 5 min)(and it works O.K. at around 4 min and PH good at 6 min 30s), after activating RTH and almost reaching home position it moves away rapidly (around 2 min 30 sec)... The problem is more intensive/frequent in windy conditions. My flight procedure is normally: takeoff in acro, switch on mag. and level, stabilize hight and switch on baro, stabilize position and switch on PH or move into one direction and switch RTH on.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn2Qkv3nvkI

2. On my last flight I accidentally took of with PH enabled and when I tried to flip quad (like in first video at around 8 sec) the engines stopped/lost thrust in midair and it crashed (fall from sky). Some time ago I tried flip with enabled "level mode" and that problem did not occur. Otherwise those engines + flashed ESC combination works O.K. (tested many times with flips, FFF and other violent TH changes)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0chVWOO_1E

Mag. calibrated and works O.K., normally yawing with PH on makes no problems.

My setup: 1kg quadX, Crius SE, serial GPS, extended range ESC's, LS20031 GPS set to 5Hz and 115200,
PID'd (top down as in gui):
R 8.5 0.030 30 rate 0.7 TPA 0.15
P 8.5 0.030 30
Y 8.5 0.045 0 rate 0.2
A 1.6 0.015 9
Pos 0.1 0.0
PosR 1.5 0.08 0.045
NavR 1.4 0.20 0.080
L 7.0 0.010 100
Mag 4.0

Th. c. MID 0.5
EXPO 0.00

RC Rate 1.15
Expo 0.45

Regards
Andrej

Hi, What options do you have compiled in ? I'm afraid that this could be a RAM issue (or a faulty GPS). I flown around 30 packs with the serial GPS code, and did not experienced such a runoff. (I admit that I use a 2560 based board) The only remotely similar case is when Pos and PosR I is too hight, but in that case the copter starts circling violently (same as high I wobble but with position).
Is it possible to log inflight data (telemetry + WinGUI) ?

Andras

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

EOSBandi wrote:....
Hi, What options do you have compiled in ? I'm afraid that this could be a RAM issue (or a faulty GPS). I flown around 30 packs with the serial GPS code, and did not experienced such a runoff. (I admit that I use a 2560 based board) The only remotely similar case is when Pos and PosR I is too hight, but in that case the copter starts circling violently (same as high I wobble but with position).
Is it possible to log inflight data (telemetry + WinGUI) ?

Andras

Hello, that is grep for defines (omitted those for airplane, CP heli ...)

#define QUADX
#define I2C_SPEED 400000L //400kHz fast mode, it works only with some WMP clones and with most current boards
#define CRIUS_SE // Crius MultiWii SE
#define RCAUXPIN8

#define SERIAL_COM_SPEED 115200
#define INTERLEAVING_DELAY 3000
#define NEUTRALIZE_DELAY 100000

#define LED_FLASHER
#define LED_FLASHER_DDR DDRB
#define LED_FLASHER_PORT PORTB
#define LED_FLASHER_BIT PORTB4
#define LED_FLASHER_SEQUENCE ( (uint8_t) 0 )
#define LED_FLASHER_SEQUENCE_ARMED ( (uint8_t) (1<<0 | 1<<2) )
#define LED_FLASHER_SEQUENCE_MAX 0xFF
#define DISABLE_POWER_PIN
#define DEADBAND 3
#define GPS_PROMINI_SERIAL 115200 // Will Autosense if GPS is connected when ardu boots!.....
#define GPS_LED_INDICATOR
#define NAV_CONTROLS_HEADING true // copter faces toward the navigation point, maghold must be enabled for it
#define NAV_TAIL_FIRST false // true - copter comes in with tail first
#define NAV_SET_TAKEOFF_HEADING true // true - when copter arrives to home position it rotates it's head to takeoff direction
#define MAG_DECLINIATION 1.83f //For Ljubljana.
#define GPS_FILTERING false // add a 5 element moving average filter to GPS coordinates, helps eliminate gps noise but adds latency
#define GPS_LOW_SPEED_D_FILTER true // below .5m/s speed ignore D term for POSHOLD_RATE, theoretically this also removed D term induced noise
#define GPS_WP_RADIUS 200 // if we are within this distance to a waypoint then we consider it reached (distance is in cm)
#define NAV_SLEW_RATE 30 // Adds a rate control to nav output, will smoothen out nav angle spikes
#define SERVO_RFR_160HZ

Since I'm using CRIUS_SE I don't have spare serial port to do telemetry and also don't have external telemetry options.
But right now I'm finishing bigger quad with mega board and AVRSBIN sensors + serial GPS and will include telemetry.

Have you tried to do some violent maneuvers (high pitch and roll rate >0.5 and rc rate above 1) with PH enabled? Because it worked for me with level enabled but crashed with PH.

Regards
Andrej

p25o1

Post by p25o1 »

hi all,

i'm waiting for the navigator board from flytron, but its still in back order :-(

serial is not a good idea for my quadrino, since i'll have to share the usb port.

is there another i2c gps board that i can buy? please share.

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

p25o1 wrote:hi all,

i'm waiting for the navigator board from flytron, but its still in back order :-(

serial is not a good idea for my quadrino, since i'll have to share the usb port.

is there another i2c gps board that i can buy? please share.

Get an arduino mini and a NEO-6 GPS, you can wire them together easily.

Katch

Post by Katch »

EOSBandi wrote:

sounds great !

Hi, I did not save a config file, but changed only three setttings with u-center.

NMEA sentences as usual.

Could you elaborate on your settings;

In the Message window in U-Center I go to UBX - CFG

PRT - for setting 115200
Rate - for setting 100ms

What do I need to do to NMEA?

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Katch wrote:
EOSBandi wrote:

sounds great !

NMEA sentences as usual.

Could you elaborate on your settings;

In the Message window in U-Center I go to UBX - CFG

PRT - for setting 115200
Rate - for setting 100ms

What do I need to do to NMEA?

GGAand RMC sentences at 10Hz each.

BUT, I'll code a u-blox binary protocol parser, since it seems that in binary form we have direct 1e7 precision position information, which will eliminate need for time consuming NMEA parsing and computing, plus the GPS filtering....
(and U-Blox NEO-6 gps modules are commodity now.)

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

EOSBandi wrote:Get an arduino mini and a NEO-6 GPS, you can wire them together easily.

Can this be made to work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-U-blox ... 3a74e5d582

Katch

Post by Katch »

EOSBandi wrote:GGAand RMC sentences at 10Hz each.

BUT, I'll code a u-blox binary protocol parser, since it seems that in binary form we have direct 1e7 precision position information, which will eliminate need for time consuming NMEA parsing and computing, plus the GPS filtering....

Still having difficulty in finding where to set those sentences to 10Hz - is it still in the Message view? Can you give me the path like

UBX - CFG - PRT etc?

Thanks

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

UBX-CFG-MSG
Select the appropiate NMEA message from the drop down list (for example F0-00 NMEA GxGGA) then check the appropiate port and enter 1 for 10Hz (1/each update cycle)
When selected the dropdown, click on poll, and when changed options click on send.

p25o1

Post by p25o1 »

found this module,

http://www.drotek.fr/shop/en/88-i2c-pa6c-gps-llc.html

but i really like the size of the navigator from flytron!

i guess i have to wait for stock :-(

LuFa

Post by LuFa »

EOSBandi wrote:

Release Date ? :mrgreen:

Did you think that gps works better with it ?

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

LuFa wrote:
EOSBandi wrote:

Release Date ? :mrgreen:

Did you think that gps works better with it ?

waiting for flight test....

jevermeister

Post by jevermeister »

Hi Andras,

I just did my first flight test with the latest shared trunk.

At the end I put my focus on GPS.

I updated my FMP04 to 10Hz in order to achieve better results.

I left all parameters regarding GPS to default.
First I tested the overall function inflight and I am very impressed. Especially Position Hold (PH) works VERY VERY well.
Return To Home (RTH)also works very well, I like the effect of the copter turn into home direction.

Then I did my famous "walking tests" I put the copter in hover, activated PH and walked away from "home". I noticed the copters urge to return "Home" it fights my arm the more I move away from PH. At about 20m the tilt of the copter and the urge is very strong and the the copter starts to be very aggressive.
The same happens if I walk away and activate RTH. The copter starts to be very aggresive. In the old GPS code, Alex implemented a maximum angle. If I understand it correctly you control the speed in relation to distance to home, so if I hold the copter back it should become very aggresive - right?

Also in my opinion the aproaching speed at RTH is set too high.

Is this behavior intended, because holding it back never happens in reality or is this a glitch?

Can I play with parameters to calm the copter down? I did not read the whole thread. So I am sorry if this has all been said.

But let me say: WOW! I let the copter hover for 2 minutes without touching my RX on a meadow about 20mx30m behind my house - worked like a charm.
Even activating PH while when I loose orientation works really great. - Fantastig work Mate!!!

Nils

LuFa

Post by LuFa »

EOSBandi wrote:

The Guys from Armokopter say

Der Optionspunkt NMEA-GPS funktioniert zwar an sich schon, jedoch haben wir noch kein GPS gefunden,
mit dem auch nur annähernd die Flugleistung mit Ublox Empfängern und derem binären Protokoll erreicht
werden kann. Selbst der Ublox Empfänger auf NMEA umgestellt, ist um Klassen unbrauchbarer... :(

that means that the Same gps modul (UBLOX) works much more worse with NMEA Output than with the UBX Binary Protokoll

so cant wait to hear your flight result :)

brettwal

Post by brettwal »

I am a bit confused on something, perhaps someone can assist.

I have a Crius SE with a Serial GPS module and it is working fine. I purchased a Crius V1.0 (with the I2C pins) and the I2C GPS Navigation module from RCTimer. (http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_ ... oductname=). Do I have to load a sketch on to the AT328 on the module? or is this not necessary? I think YES but, find it odd that there are no pins for FTDI on RCTimer board.

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

jevermeister wrote:Hi Andras,

I just did my first flight test with the latest shared trunk.

At the end I put my focus on GPS.

I updated my FMP04 to 10Hz in order to achieve better results.

I left all parameters regarding GPS to default.
First I tested the overall function inflight and I am very impressed. Especially Position Hold (PH) works VERY VERY well.
Return To Home (RTH)also works very well, I like the effect of the copter turn into home direction.

Then I did my famous "walking tests" I put the copter in hover, activated PH and walked away from "home". I noticed the copters urge to return "Home" it fights my arm the more I move away from PH. At about 20m the tilt of the copter and the urge is very strong and the the copter starts to be very aggressive.
The same happens if I walk away and activate RTH. The copter starts to be very aggresive. In the old GPS code, Alex implemented a maximum angle. If I understand it correctly you control the speed in relation to distance to home, so if I hold the copter back it should become very aggresive - right?

Also in my opinion the aproaching speed at RTH is set too high.

Is this behavior intended, because holding it back never happens in reality or is this a glitch?

Can I play with parameters to calm the copter down? I did not read the whole thread. So I am sorry if this has all been said.

But let me say: WOW! I let the copter hover for 2 minutes without touching my RX on a meadow about 20mx30m behind my house - worked like a charm.
Even activating PH while when I loose orientation works really great. - Fantastig work Mate!!!

Nils

Hi Nils,
What you experienced is the windup of the I term, which is also called as the wind compensation. The walk test for PH and POSHold imitates the situation when the copter experiences heavy nose wind. In this situation it tries to overpower the wind to reach the desired position. And since it tries to reach the desired speed towards the seleted position, it will behave more and more aggressively. In real life this will shown as the copter holds position against the wind and keeps a lets say 20deg angle...

There is a max angle limiter which is set to 30deg by default. in the gps.ino you can find some internal values :

Code: Select all

#define NAV_SPEED_MIN              100    // cm/sec   
#define NAV_SPEED_MAX              300    // cm/sec   
#define NAV_SLOW_NAV               true   
#define NAV_BANK_MAX 3000        //30deg max banking when navigating (just for security and testing)

You can play with these settings if you want, especially the NAV_SPEED_MAX which governs the maximum speed for navigation.
When the NAV_SLOW_NAV is true, it allows the nav speed to reach zero around the waypoint, if it's false the speed kept at least NAV_SPEED_MIN.

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

brettwal wrote:I am a bit confused on something, perhaps someone can assist.

I have a Crius SE with a Serial GPS module and it is working fine. I purchased a Crius V1.0 (with the I2C pins) and the I2C GPS Navigation module from RCTimer. (http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_ ... oductname=). Do I have to load a sketch on to the AT328 on the module? or is this not necessary? I think YES but, find it odd that there are no pins for FTDI on RCTimer board.

Take a closer look. The place for pins is there, even labeled as FTDI, just solder in some pins....