Magnetometer HMC5883 Glitching

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
jessestr

Magnetometer HMC5883 Glitching

Post by jessestr »

Hi there

I've been searching for solutions for this problem on the forums & rcgroups but can't really find the exact same problem.
I don't know if it is a bug or the magnetometer itself. Just reporting it. The mag works in flight but sometimes it glitches out.

Motors were not running in this test.
It happens:
- Begin
- 1:44
- 1:55
- 1:57

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEghFwOW8hQ

Katch

Re: Magnetometer HMC5883 Glitching

Post by Katch »

yet another one from you...

search.php

Mags are very very susceptible to magnetic interference from power wiring / motors and frame materials. Go search - there is no shortage of posts.

jessestr

Post by jessestr »

I won't post this if I haven't tried those things.. I even wrapped my sensor in aluminiumfoil. Still the same problem.

To other people.. I won't post anything if I haven't searched it on the internet, asked other people in person. So Katch please.. stop acting like that it's not friendly at all. If someone has trouble I would help. & if you don't want to help me please don't comment.

jpeti29

Post by jpeti29 »

Katch wrote:yet another one from you...

search.php

Mags are very very susceptible to magnetic interference from power wiring / motors and frame materials. Go search - there is no shortage of posts.

Man, you haven't seen that video, have you? There was an i2c error, on mag sensor.

@jessestr: i think, you should try to recalibrate that MAG, it may help
viewtopic.php?p=15191#p15191

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Defnitely a HW issue. I had the same with a diydrones mag blob with an i2c level converter ic on it.
How is your mag wired ?

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

Hi, yes, there are some i2c errors when glitching appears. I don't think it could be solved via calibration either, maybe a faulty sensor.... :(
I suggest to disconnect the mag sensor if you can, or uncomment in def.h to check if the i2c error is caused by mag sensor.

jessestr

Post by jessestr »

The I2C errors are casued by the magnetometer. It's a 10DOF.. so can't replace the magnetometer on my own.

@EOSBandi
This is the IMU. Can't really check the wiring. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys :)!

kos

Post by kos »

i have several of those drotek imu , 6dof 10dof w/wo LLC , for all i use the external pullup resistor AND the internal arduino pullup , my 2cents

jessestr

Post by jessestr »

I enabled the hardware & the software pullups but still the same

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

Try tapping the mag, perhaps a cold solder joint...
I would go for a replacement.
Andras

jessestr

Post by jessestr »

I give it back to Drotek. New one is coming in!

Thanks

Bledi

Post by Bledi »

there is perhaps a bug. Yesterday I had the same problem in fly on a CRIUS SE. It was on the R840 version. with the 2 last dev I didn't have this problem.
I will make more tests

kos

Post by kos »

more glitching evidences :

firmware = MultiWii_dev_20120528
mag = HMC5883
mode = level + headfree

mag_glitch2.png

mag_glitch4.png
(9.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet

dramida

Post by dramida »

I confirm that on 28 may release, the tail on mag hold suddenly move left a few degrees and back, if you don't know what to seek, it could sleep away the behavior.

Arf

Post by Arf »

dramida wrote:I confirm that on 28 may release, the tail on mag hold suddenly move left a few degrees and back, if you don't know what to seek, it could sleep away the behavior.

Very common try relocating your high current motor wires, make sure they are twisted. Get a compass and do some bench tests.

dramida

Post by dramida »

I checked the influence of wires on high currents and the mag holds steadly on the same direction.

MAG Software bug implementation:
I hand-launch the tricopter in level mode, spinning around its yaw (like a freesby) and i had the magnetometer activated. The copter entered in a leveled continous spin on z axis, as it cant stop spinning in a single rotation so the magnetometer ordered another spin, and another, and another....till i crashed.
So in the case of great disturbance on Z rotation, when the spin momentum is too large to cancel in a single rotation, the copter will enter in a continous spin. I am so sorry i lost the clip.

jessestr

Post by jessestr »

I received my new 10DOF with the same sensors and everything works fine now.. No glitching.

Only difference is that my barometer always showed around 22 on my previous one and now it's -9.5 ..?

kos

Post by kos »

jessestr wrote:I received my new 10DOF with the same sensors and everything works fine now.. No glitching.

errf .. so mine maybe also be defective :|

jessestr

Post by jessestr »

Could be. It ran over 1 hour and 30 minutes. No spikes or I2C errors. Clean board.

timecop

Post by timecop »

For the price of drotek warez, the quality sure seems to be lacking. This isn't a first report of their stuff failing / being DOA / etc.

jessestr

Post by jessestr »

No it's not Drotek's fault. It's actually one of the best soldered PCB's I've seen and it's always very clean and neat finished.
I posted some other stuff about drotek things here but it was never a problem from their side. For the first time there was a bad soldering. He just took the board back and sent me a new one.

Do not give comments on things you have never bought. Buy them yourself and than you can make a comment about it. No point there. So for the people that will reads this in the future. Drotek has very good quality! And the owner is always friendly and ready for support.

timecop

Post by timecop »

That's funny, the views in drotek thread on RCGroups are quite different.
Almost everytime it was bumped to the top was because of someone complaining.

Ainadiel

Post by Ainadiel »

i have the same board and on dev20120526 i had some problems, if i yaw quad it was loosing orientation... sometimes launched from hand it was doing 360degress and stop in position... now i have latest dev and seems like this problem disappear but i am actually still thinking about sending it back, gonna make few more tests...