Changes & additions

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
Tifani

Changes & additions

Post by Tifani »

Hi !
Dear Developers.
First of all - it is only my two cents.
With constant changes (specially to serial communication) & new sensors, bells & whistles MultiWii is growing instead of improving.
Basicly only Gyro mode is working well, Level mode is far from good.
It will be nice to use Android Bluetooth App with all MultiWii versions (IceWind please don't stop).
Sure is great to see new ideas: thanks Alexinparis, Alexmos, EOSBandi,PatrikE, Hamburger and all developers.
My dream configuration: simply Acro & good Level with possibility to add more later - maybe as plugins.
Please do not take me wrong - I admire Your hard work and efforts.
Regards
Tom

Alexinparis

Re: Changes & additions

Post by Alexinparis »

If you follow closely the devs, you can see that there are also improvement for current features like stable mode.

Code: Select all

My dream configuration: simply Acro & good Level with possibility to add more later - maybe as plugins.

I don't catch the point, as for me it is currently the case.
You can currently add sensors via #define statement in the configuration file.
One or two lines to change, no more.

What would you expect more ? what is your definition of "plugins" ?

Tifani

Post by Tifani »

Hi Alex !
Thanks for replay.
I'm little more than complete nob. I did some programming. I had my first "computer" in 1980.
Now i'm CNC programmer/machinist. I did also little electronics (more hobby than work).
So if I have problems what about average guys.
This was not critique - this was information than I have problems.
Regards
Tom
P.S. plugin = can be plug in when needed.

dr.tom

Post by dr.tom »

What problems did you experience?

Katch

Post by Katch »

Tom your experiences posted in this thread; viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1750

are not typical of the experiences of the majority of Multiwii users.

As far as I and hundreds of other users are concerned Multiwii has some of the best Acro and Level performance of any controller currently available. All this with improvements still being made.

I would suggest that you may have problems with your individual setup that need addressing and that these are not evidence of an underlying problem with Multiwii code.

As for 'plugins' Multiwii is already incredibly modular allowing users to have a simple Gyro + Acc setup for sport flying or a full GPS enabled / camera stabilizing / headholding / headfree / bluetooth configurable / the list goes on.

All of this is enabled by user choice in config.h.

I don't understand your issue.

Joachim08

Post by Joachim08 »

@Tifani:

I am sorry, but i fully agree. I also acknowledge the time and work the programmers spent to get things working.
I am using a Drotek IMU 10DOF - MPU6050 + HMC5883 + MS5611 and am disappointed with the behaviour of
my quad so far. I was one of the first reporting that the MPU6050 was not properly working in 2.0 (toilet bowl
effect in ACC mode) but al lthe experts told me that nothing was changed in this respect in the new code.
And... some two weeks later someone agreed that this is a problem. The following devs showed considerable im-
provement but till date it is not working 100 %. In the new dev changed the timing has been changed considerable
so there are definitely new issues with that.

I wonder how the compass can work with the standard P setting. All of the friends i know have to increase
P to 12 to get it work...

Next is the baro which is not working at all. My copter (and also others regardless of BMA or MS) is not holding
height at all. I do not consider a change of height of 2 or 3 meters as acceptable. As we have such big
changes in height we cannot use the copter for shooting photos in a proper way. You can find comments
here in the forum that a change of 2 or 3 m is normal.....
@katch: Therefore i cannot understand your comment "...Multiwii has some of the best Acro and Level
performance of any controller currently available" This is simply not true.
Just look here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=363&p=14890#p14890
I also fly a Mikrokopter which is much more stable in height as the Multiwii. Height changes by maybe
50 cm in total with little wind.

My impression is that we all want too much, now Sonar, GPS and i dont know whats next, so coders all of a sudden
concentrate on the new features without optimizing the basic features like staple mode, compass or baro.

Pleas note that these findings are not only mine, over there at the german fpv forum there are lot more guys reporting
the same.

Dont take me wrong, i really appreciate your work !

Just my two cents...

Regards

Joachim

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Tom
I think you are wrong on various accounts.
We are volunteers. There is no roadmap. Work gets done in non coordinated order.
If I want some feature I may code it if I feel up to it.
Same for fixing problems. I cannot see/reproduce a problem I do not fix it.

About additional sensors
Another sensor added does not affect prior sensors.

Alex started a thread for problems. I did not see you posting there. Floodinv the forum with posts will not get you anywhere. Detailed error descriptions or coding have the chance to. No guarantees though.

Tifani

Post by Tifani »

@Hamburger
I loud and clear underscore my appreciation for Your work.
If You call two post flooding - sorry - check my total # of my post - sorry again - i post in serch of help.
So let me admire and appreciate MultiWii and it developers in silence.
Tom

Katch

Post by Katch »

@ Tifani and Joachim

Both of your problems sound like very 'individual setup specific' issues and not issues that are widely experienced by the vast Multiwii user base.

The core sensors that have been in Multiwii code for a long time (WMP Nunchuck, ITG3200, BMA180/020 etc etc) and the newer MPU6050 (which is popular in new hardware for a reason) - have been proven time and again to work very well at default PIDs on a well configured frame that does not suffer from excessive vibration. **yes the MPU6050 did have an issue with its LPF in 2.0 but this was not an issue for very well isolated frames and has now been fixed.

In short the sensor/s you are using are most likely not the problem and certainly the code that supports them is fine. The problem will be something in your setup, either unbalanced motors/props, poorly isolated resonant frames, poorly isolated IMUs/sensors or underperforming/poorly calibrated/poor quality ESCs. These would be my first suspects.

All of these issues have been widely discussed and many solutions and discussions exist to help you work through them and limit their impact on your multirotors.

jessestr

Post by jessestr »

Joachim08 wrote:@Tifani:

Next is the baro which is not working at all. My copter (and also others regardless of BMA or MS) is not holding
height at all. I do not consider a change of height of 2 or 3 meters as acceptable. As we have such big
changes in height we cannot use the copter for shooting photos in a proper way. You can find comments

Joachim

Any tips to improve the altimeter.. It's really not solid at all.. It takes ages to correct the altitude.

kos

Post by kos »

jessestr wrote:Any tips to improve the altimeter.. It's really not solid at all.. It takes ages to correct the altitude.

first : you will have to fine tune the pid for alt hold to work within -/+50cm , they have to match the weight/props/motor and all other factors that affect the effective hovering thrust of your multi based .. all of this bing influenced by the throttle value used when the alt hold is engaged .

second : use the search function , there is a thread about altimeter pid tunning that will help handling the first tip ;)

third : please refers to the code for all detailed effects of the PID parameter that interact with the altitude hold. if you can point something wrong in it, please share you knowledge .
Last edited by kos on Tue May 29, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sismeiro

Post by sismeiro »

Hi to all,

Just to add may 2 cents of €.

MultiWii is community driven on the Internet but doesn't need to stop there. We can try to find other MultiWii users near to help us or vice-versa and enjoy other ways of sharing the knowledge and joy of multicopters.

Regards,
Luis Sismeiro

kos

Post by kos »

jessestr wrote:
Joachim08 wrote:@Tifani:

Joachim

Any tips to improve the altimeter.. It's really not solid at all.. It takes ages to correct the altitude.

ronnieang wrote:Hi,

Try this, I use this method.

Set P and I to 0.

Slow increase D from 0 in 0.2 increments until you start to get a slow yo yo movement. Reduce D a littleuntil yo yo movement stops. At this point the multicopter will start to hold altitude with drift.

Increase P slow now, and you will find that the multicopter will start to hold, until it starts the yo yo movement, reduce P until it goes away. The multicopter will now hold altitude with less drift.

I is now increased to reduce the drift when the battery runs down and the throttle needed to keep the copter at hover changes.

My PID for a 1kg quad is P-1.1 I-0.010 D-9.

Hope this helps.

jessestr

Post by jessestr »

Thanks will try that out !!