Alternative ESC firmware (reflashing)

ziss_dm

Re: Alternative ESC firmware (reflashing)

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi Wishnu,

pwm_fast_200 - range 1100-1900us
pwm_fast_250 - range 1000-2000us

So, most likelly your transmitter was not able to generate 2000us pulses.

regards,
ziss_dm

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

how to attach wires to blueseries 12A ESCs? Those have no pads and I cannot solder to the tqfp atmega8 pins directly (no appropriate tools and insufficient eyesight even with mag-glasses). I had hopes something like a socket type thing would exist that could be used - but came up empty.

I own 8 of these ESCs I want to use but cannot currently convert. Any advice how to proceed or any volunteers for a round of brewery produce?

LenzGr

Post by LenzGr »

Hamburger wrote:how to attach wires to blueseries 12A ESCs? Those have no pads and I cannot solder to the tqfp atmega8 pins directly (no appropriate tools and insufficient eyesight even with mag-glasses). I had hopes something like a socket type thing would exist that could be used - but came up empty.

This page on the OpenPilot Wiki lists a number of possible approaches. I like the one where they used modeling clay :)

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi Hamburger,

I have committed small change which allows you to adjust timing advance..

Code: Select all

#define    TIMING_ADV          0|1|2|3

I think, slightly increasing timing you can regain power loss, but probably in expense of efficiency.

regards,
ziss_dm

Wishnu

Post by Wishnu »

Hellow ziss_dm,
can i somehow limit the range 1100-1700us instead of 1100-1900us?

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

LenzGr wrote:This page on the OpenPilot Wiki lists a number of possible approaches. I like the one where they used modeling clay :)

I built an adapter with modeling clay (tradename FIMO) and pogo pins for blueseries 20A P/N-fet with pads not in row. Flashing with the adapter works sometimes (1 out of 8). very cool.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

ziss_dm wrote:I have committed small change which allows you to adjust timing advance..

Code: Select all

#define    TIMING_ADV          0|1|2|3

I think, slightly increasing timing you can regain power loss, but probably in expense of efficiency.

Hi ziss_dm,
will test and report back asap.
Thanks, Hamburger

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi Wishnu,

can i somehow limit the range 1100-1700us instead of 1100-1900us?

Do you mean limit max power or scale power within narrow pulse range?

regards,
ziss_dm

Wishnu

Post by Wishnu »

I mean limit max power

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi Wishnu,

There is a way to limit max power (you need to modify <input>.inc or better to create your own one):
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=516&start=170#p5063

regards,
ziss_dm

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

Hello,
I have couple of HK 30A ESC and I' like to know if they are reflashable (and with which HW .inc)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... FUBEC.html
and pictures attached.

Best Regards
Attachments
DOWN.jpg
UP.jpg

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

I am far from being an expert on this topic, but to me the fets appear to be all same, so I'd say nfet only.
Do you know this list of ESCs https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... ZRlE#gid=0 ?
It is not complete, especially about P/N and N-only variants, but may be helpful.

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

Hamburger wrote:I am far from being an expert on this topic, but to me the fets appear to be all same, so I'd say nfet only.
Do you know this list of ESCs https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... ZRlE#gid=0 ?
It is not complete, especially about P/N and N-only variants, but may be helpful.

Thank you!
Yes all FETs are the same and it is F-30A (from line 16) and bs_nfet.hex!
The question is what HW configuration from ziss_dm's firmware branch is correct (or what is the difference between Ziss_dm's and Simonk's firmwares)?

Regards
Andrej

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

dunno.
Mystery20A_nFET seems like a good start. It definitely is for an all N-FET type. With the list for the SimonK firmware, having or not having a crystal seems to make a difference. The Mystery20A_nFET do have a crystal.
But I do not know, better ask the man.

fr3d

Post by fr3d »

hi,

I would like to reflash my DYS 30A, where can I found the firmware ?

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

Hamburger wrote:dunno.
Mystery20A_nFET seems like a good start. It definitely is for an all N-FET type. With the list for the SimonK firmware, having or not having a crystal seems to make a difference. The Mystery20A_nFET do have a crystal.
But I do not know, better ask the man.

Yep!
You were right it works with Mystery20A_nFET.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

crashlander wrote:Yep!
You were right it works with Mystery20A_nFET.

glad it worked out for you.
Could you please compare the maximum thrust you get
- from flashed ESC
with
- the stock ESC?
Wih wii-esc I loose the last 5% of thrust. Ziss_dm gave some advice to correct that. Now I am in the process of experimenting.

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

Hamburger wrote:....
- from flashed ESC
with
- the stock ESC?

My tests shows same thrust between original ESC and flashed one.
I have tested before-mentioned ESC with KDA 20-28M and 10x4.5 prop., I have slowly increased throttle from stop (2 on extended range ESC and 125 normal) up-to 254 and consistently got 6.6N of thrust in both cases.
The Amp. draw was slightly higher with original ESC (after reaching maximum TH, I let the engine run for 5s).

Regards
Andrej

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

cool.
Thanks for checking.

Gaijin

Post by Gaijin »

I built a simple ESC flashing tool (for ESC's with pads e.g HK SS30A AND 20A, Hobbyking F-20A) from a 2x3 pin header plug, the pins from servo connectors and a UsbAsp programmer, no need to clamp as it's so quick

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21262287&postcount=1970

However I've found the quad to be overshooting/ hunting and somewhat unstable with re-flashed high performance esc's (otherwise the same combination flown before), can someone suggest a more suitable default set of PID's to start tuning from, i haven't really mastered PID tuning yet

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Hi again,
I want to flash 3 old Plush 10A ESCs. What should I use?
- input: pwm-arduino-250, because I want to run it from MWii with maximum possible throttle resolution ,
- hw: plush30A or plush30A-16MHz <- is this a choice on my part or depending on the ESC hardware? how to decide?
Thanks.

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi,

With pwm-arduino-250 it is better to use plush30A, as plush30A-16MHz uses "overclocked" internal RC resonator.

http://code.google.com/p/wii-esc/wiki/H ... figuration

It is not recommended to use this option with ArduinoPWM input method (or should carefully be tested on the ground) because this method has low tolerance margins and the overclocked RC generator working on 16Mhz has significant variations. The usual symptoms are:
•Esc not arming.
•Stops at full throttle (it is hard to diagnose with MWC as it reserves some throttle, it is better to use simple arduino sketch to test it).
Also over clocked RC oscillator has lower thermal stability.

regards,
ziss_dm

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Thanks. Will try asap.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

update on the Plush 10A: done. It works. (I had one motor stop in mid air exactly once, but could not yet reproduce.)
Is it just me or is the whining noise from wii-esc @ 8MHz worse than with original firmware (which runs @ 8MHz as well, afaik) ?

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

2nd ugly update on Plush 10A: I was flying outside in gusts of 20km/h at 5 deg Celsius and had 3 crashes from motor stopping. (the motor would stop and restart soon after, but too late for copter) This happened when I was flying at maybe 60 to 70% throttle already and did increase throttle to almost full. Btw. I cannot reproduce this with copter tied to floor and a simple full throttle command.

Over at RCG I did find some info this had happened to one user with the simonk firmware and Plush 10A earlier. I could not find if the issue was somehow solved.

I would not wish to revert this copter back to the former Plush 12A silab originals; the difference in fine response granularity and stability is too convincing. But constantly crashing is not an option either.

Any input to fix this?
Hamburger

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi,
Sounds like RC oscillator has too big variation. You probably have two options: calibrate them or use 100 or 200 points input methods.

Btw: on the ground, you testing with Mwc or test sketch?

Regards,
Ziss_dm

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Hi ziss_dm,
How could I calibrate? I thought wii.esc has no calibfation included?
Or for 200 points, what is the usecond range, or the MWii code?
Ground test I did with mwc, not test sketch.
Thank you.

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi,

http://code.google.com/p/wii-esc/wiki/H ... figuration

READ_CALIBRATION¶

(yes|no) – On boards without external crystal, the internal clock source (8 MHz) must be used. Due to manufacturing tolerances, it's possible to calibrate it with an external program (e.g. PonyProg?). The calibration value is stored in the EEPROM and can be used by this firmware. It should be disabled on boards with external resonator or when OVERCLOCK is defined.

Basically it reads last byte of EEPROM and writes it to the OSCCAL register. There are official Atmel procedure, but it possible to do it emperically: find limit values and set something in the middle.

The range: 1100-1900us

It is better to use test sketch, as MWC reserves some throttlle at the end of the range.

redgards,
ziss_dm

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

thanks. Next time I will RTFM before asking.
After all, the Plush ESC do not seem to be a good choice.
I wull try the 200 points input method. Should be interesting to see the difference between the 200points and the stock firmware. Either way I loose the higher resolution on the MWii side.
Btw. I use 2S battery and emax gt 2203 like here http://www.modelpascher.com/catalog/pro ... ct99stjd95
Cheers

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

Hamburger wrote:update on the Plush 10A: done. It works. (I had one motor stop in mid air exactly once, but could not yet reproduce.)
Is it just me or is the whining noise from wii-esc @ 8MHz worse than with original firmware (which runs @ 8MHz as well, afaik) ?

I'm running QuadX with three HK F-30A (with external oscillator, from few posts back) and one Plush 30A (destroyed original HK F-30A during soldering and testing) and can confirm that motor with Plush makes REALY annoying whining noise. Otherwise Plush works good for me.

Regards Andrej

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

Gaijin wrote:I built a simple ESC flashing tool (for ESC's with pads e.g HK SS30A AND 20A, Hobbyking F-20A) from a 2x3 pin header plug, the pins from servo connectors and a UsbAsp programmer, no need to clamp as it's so quick

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21262287&postcount=1970

However I've found the quad to be overshooting/ hunting and somewhat unstable with re-flashed high performance esc's (otherwise the same combination flown before), can someone suggest a more suitable default set of PID's to start tuning from, i haven't really mastered PID tuning yet

Like Hamburger said few posts back you can probable double P (at least I'm running now with P=8.6) but since I can observe slight oscillations (couple mm on hand end) I have increased D (now D=25 but will probably go higher). I'm running it on a ProMini. But my Quad is now really stable and locked in on roll and pitch.

Regards Andrej

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

Hi.
Did Anyone managed to flash towerpro 18A esc.with new firmware ?

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

3rd happy update on Plush 10A: I flashed with pwm-200-fast, reset the MWii to output normal pwm range and it worked. Today I flew 4 packs in strong wind with gusts and had not a single motor stop in midair. Actually, I like the sound of the 200 steps@ 8MHz combo, reminds me of oldschool Hughes helis. Maybe I am simply getting deaf.

Thanks again. Hamburger

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

my largest TRI has Blueseries 20A flashed to r195 (thanks ziss_dm) with turnigy 2205 motors.
Now I changed the motors to something bigger: Turnigy 2209 28turn 1050kv 15A Outrunner
Kv: 1050rpm/v
Operating Current: 4A ~ 12A
Peak Current: 15A
Suggested prop: 9x4.7
Weight: 46g
Dimensions: 27.6 x 28mm

Still running on 3S.
Overall it works, but with one motor I usually observe the following:
upon arming all motors start to spin, when slowly increasing throttle, that one motor looses sync and stops, tries to catchup again, looses sync and stops ...
Usually disarming & arming again helps.
Any ESC config parameter I could tune or should I increase minthrottle in MWii?

Raptor4

Post by Raptor4 »

Hello!

I have sync problems with the MT3506 motor and flashed 30A Maytech V1 esc (all n-fet) with simonK firmware. Will use the combo with my Mikrokopter Octo and precision I2C to PWM converter from abusemark.

So found the wii firmware to eliminate the sync problems, but can´t make a hex file for flashing!

So please, can somebody help me with the hex (for Mikrokopter with 30A Maytech and MT3506 motor) file?

Thank you in advance!

Thanks!
Raptor4

funth1ngs

Post by funth1ngs »

Hi Raptor4,

here is r195 with default settings for all nFET boards.

Cheers,
Heiko
Attachments
Mystery20A_nFET_r195.zip
(2.41 KiB) Downloaded 182 times

Raptor4

Post by Raptor4 »

Hello Heiko!

Thank You very much!

Flashed my esc´s with your hex file. Everything is ok, but the motors start at min 40 (in koptertool). Normally they start at min 18 with simonk firmware. So it´s because of the throttle range. Is there a way to change it?

Thank You!

Eugen

funth1ngs

Post by funth1ngs »

Hi Eugen,

I guess you are using TC's converter? Try to set pulse range from 1100 - 1900 ms.

Cheers,
Heiko

Raptor4

Post by Raptor4 »

Hi Heiko!

With the puls range 1100-1900 ms the motors don´t start! The last puls range was 1000-2000ms in TC`s converter and the motors start at 40.

Cheers,
Eugen

funth1ngs

Post by funth1ngs »

Hm!

Try 1090 or 1050 ms as min pulse. Find the highest value which will start the motors.

Cheers,
Heiko

Raptor4

Post by Raptor4 »

Thank You very much Heiko!

It works now with 1090 and 2050 ms pulse range. All motors do start at 15-18 :D

[url]So now have no problems with Maytech V1 ESC and Tiger MT3506 motor[/url] :D

But want to know Heiko, how You did it with the hex file! I have the AVR Studio 4 now. Is there an simple way to make the hex file with it ?

So I can start a new project in AVR Studio and then?

Can you please tell me also which files You used for my hex file and which timing for MT3506 motor?

Thank You again!

Cheers,
Eugen

funth1ngs

Post by funth1ngs »

Nice!

You can try 1095 ms as min pulse, that should also work. Max pulse should stay at 1900 ms, because that's max power with wii-esc. If you use 2050 ms, you will loose some resoultion at the upper end.

Did you already read FirmwareAssembling about creating the hex file?

Cheers,
Heiko

Raptor4

Post by Raptor4 »

OK! Will test the new pulse range!

Yes, I did read about creating the hex file. But have problems with it. So, which files I need and so on.

Cheers,
Eugen

wingspinner

Post by wingspinner »

Yes, I did read about creating the hex file. But have problems with it. So, which files I need and so on.

Cheers,
Eugen

Hi Eugen,
What problems are you having? Have you tried to install the toolchain and the code? It's pretty easy. All you need to know is here: http://code.google.com/p/wii-esc/wiki/GettingStarted . It works exactly that way.

Once you get set to generate your hex file, I've found that the MT3506's will still loose sync unless I set timing advance to 1. You can do that in the include file for your esc under the "hw" directory.

Give it a shot, you might learn something

Raptor4

Post by Raptor4 »

Hi Heiko and wingspinner!

Have now no problems with creating the hex file! But tried to use the pwm_fast_250.inc as input for 2000us pulse range. So it works with esc 4, but not with other 3 esc´s on my test quadro with Mikrokopter Flctr and timecop I2C to PWM converter! Should I use the pwm_fast_200 only?

Cheers,
Eugen

ezio

Post by ezio »

Hi
I have dumped a firmware from four escs blueSeries 20A.
I don't know if atmels are protected or not so I also don't know if this dump is useful.
I put it here http://perso.numericable.fr/ezio/esc%20 ... %2020A.zip
please do not flash these files!!!

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

motor cut off in midflight again with BlueSeries 20A wii-esc r195 and Turnigy 2209 28turn 1050kv 15A Outrunner!
It was the second time with this combination. For the time being I reflashed it to simonk firmware but I prefer the greater stability and larger input range of the wii-esc firmware. (of course both exceed the stock esc firmware)

Not sure how to proceed now. It is the same undesirable sumptom as with the formerly used 2205 motors. Anyone else use these motors (the motors look kindof similar to some KDA / keda motors)?

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

@Hamburger
Not exactly solution but...
I'm running KDA 20-28 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oduct=4701 (that looks the same by specifications) with (extended range) reflashed HobbyKing F-30A ESC's (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=15205) and (unmodified) revision 195, with GWS 10x4.7 props and have no problems doing FFF and flips (meaning fast and radical throttle transitions). All that on 3S LiPoly.

Regards
Andrej

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Andrej,
thanks for that info. Not sure what to make of it though. With the ESCs reflashed to simonk firmware I now have approx. 20 flights without motor cutoff. So from that it seems the problem is not related to ESC-amperage, wiring, etc.. Imho everything points at the motor -wii-ESC combination.
You use 30A ESCs? Ok, I have a 50A current sensor waiting to replace the old 25A sensor and will check for max current. Do you have a number for the actual max. current your motors draw?

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

Hamburger wrote:Andrej,
Do you have a number for the actual max. current your motors draw?

Sorry but I don't have measured hover current. Max current, for same configuration, per motor (as measured on the desk) is aprox. 12A. And reverse calculation for average in-flight current for all motors is also 12A ("consumed Amps." divided by flight time).
Maybe if you missed couple posts back (posting.php?mode=quote&f=13&p=14511#pr13708)(different motors and ESC) but maybe worth investigating.

Regards
Andrej