Pictures of my TBS Clone

splicer

Pictures of my TBS Clone

Post by splicer »

Hello all, new to building multi rotors, and to the hobby. Learned how to fly with micros, Hubsan X4s and the Lady Bird type quads.

Been putting together the 450 for a bit over a year now. Here are the components.

Frame. 450 TBS Discovery knock off, Neewer brand, with black arms.
FC MultiWii Pro GPS, Hextronics from Hobby King. Running 2.2 firmware with 2.2 GUI. Tried 2.3 but had some issue with the versions I have.
Motors. 980KV Sunny Sky.
ESC 30a Mystery with Simon K firmware.
Props 4.5 pitch 11 inch, carbon fiber.
3cell 2200mah 30c battery.
TX RX Turnigy 9x 9channel.

Built it on a low budget in mind. So far she's come together pretty well. Still have to finish PID tuning, flies stable but doesn't recover well.

I have 2 808 #16s, a lens B and D. Was going to to use it for FPV, but I think I'll go with a smaller security style Sony camera, as I learned the latency is lower on those.

I still have many questions, as I'm still a noob, so I look forward to learning and being part of this community. Happy with my MultiWii, glad I went with that FC. Cheers!

11076168_10206225464336627_6217046116571381058_osmall.jpg

11027122_10206254450381260_5333556278481425569_o.jpg

FengShuiDrone

Re: Pictures of my TBS Clone

Post by FengShuiDrone »

Last edited by FengShuiDrone on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

splicer

Post by splicer »

Thanks for the compliment, I put a lot of thought into how it would look, now to get it flying as good! heh. I'll give 2.4 a try for sure, I think I figured out why 2.3 wasn't working well, a mistake I had made. In what way are you using the sonar? Too bad about the barometer not being good, haven't put GPS hold on it yet to test it well. Can a different barometer be added through a serial port? Is it even worth it? I do want to get autonomous flights with it eventually.

I was mistaken on the props, they're 11 with a 5inch pitch, makes pretty good lift, it'll hover at about 1/3 throttle. I also have some carbon slow fly props 10x4.7, still haven't tested those out yet. I'll be mindful of motors over heating.

I'm pretty sure my problem is the PID, I modified it as it performed even worse on the stock settings. Here are my current settings.

MulGui-2_2-PID-custom1.jpg

Also had big stability issues when I first flew it(I have a cringe worthy video of the maiden). Then I set the lowpass filter ITG3200 to 20HZ in the sketch and that helped a lot. The MPU6050 lowpass filter is still default. I don't have any dampening on my FC, just nylon screws, a piece of foam under it that came from my 808 packaging. I think that's why my stock PID settings do not work well, because I have the lowpass filter changed.

Looking forward to resolving this issue and moving onto setting up GPS functionality, hold and RTH. Then a fail safe to RTH on signal loss, one thing at a time though.

Also this is the extent of my understanding of PID tuning, this kid's video. I watched some really technical videos about the PID curves how it checks and adjusts, but didn't make much sense.

FengShuiDrone

Post by FengShuiDrone »

Last edited by FengShuiDrone on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

splicer

Post by splicer »

Yes, that would be great! Just have to get it flying right first.

What's a better MultiWii Pro board? The version from ReadytoFlyQuads.com?

Going to try the default PID settings again with a less aggressive low pass filter and see how she flies. . .

FengShuiDrone

Post by FengShuiDrone »

splicer

Post by splicer »

Thanks for the info man, I have been looking at them, they look very nice. Good to know the hardware is improved on them as well.