DIY TX using PS2 Pad

Pyrofer

DIY TX using PS2 Pad

Post by Pyrofer »

Using an old PS2 pad I have built (almost finished) a transmitter from scratch.

I used an RF module from a 9x transmitter (fs-tm002) and an AVR to generate the ppm signal to feed it.
I have a small LiPo that I fit inside the TX module and have a dc2dc step up going inside the pad.

The 4 shoulder buttons are wired to aux channels, each channel sits at MID until you press the button, that puts it to high.
Its got 500mah in the LiPo, the DC2DC has 500ma max, so it should get a minimum of 1 hour of use per charge.

I've not flown with it yet, still waiting for the stepup, but tested it with a arduino running the multiwii code and all the channels/buttons work as expected.

copterrichie

Re: DIY TX using PS2 Pad

Post by copterrichie »

This is very interesting and exciting. I would like to learn more about how RC radio gear works. Hope you will post more details.

Thank you.

UndCon

Post by UndCon »

This is kind of the same project I have been interested in for a while.

We salvage lots of Wii gear - I have a box full of nunchuck joysticks :)
I want to use them for something cool - 1 is used for a camera pan/tilt dolly along with an arduino chip of course.
Mapping and limiting the joysticks in Arduino is pretty simple. giving full PPM signals from input all way through code to the outputs

I want to build a radio that has 3 joysticks - 2 for regular RC and 1 for pan tilt operations of a camera

//UndCon

Pyrofer

Post by Pyrofer »

This was based entirely on Tommies TX Code. Check out his thread on hacking the cheap 6ch TX for links.

It supports 4 3way toggle switches for aux channels and 4 analogue channels and i2c.

You can expand to more aux analogue channels by adding a i2c ADC chip. The i2c bus also supports the Wii Nunchuk as input.
So, for a stock avr (I used a 328p) you get quite a lot of options. without any additions other than a nunchuk your TX could have 3 analogue sticks and accelerometer input giving 8 axis of movement and 4 aux channels. Easily enough to control the quad and camera.

I have only used single push buttons, so each of the 4 aux channels is effectively an on/off switch, but if you use 3way toggles you can have high/mid/low easily.

You can pretty much turn anything you want into a TX using the fs-tm002 module and an AVR. Your imagination is the limit.

Pyrofer

Post by Pyrofer »

And it's finished.

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

I'd buy one of these if you made more of them!! do you have a build page for it?

Pyrofer

Post by Pyrofer »

You can check my blog at http://www.pyrofersprojects.com there isn't much there at the moment but I hope to add more info.

Its very easy to do, the hardest part was fitting all the bits inside! Lots of plastic to be hacked out.
I works too. Verified and bound to my quad. Can't fly because of weather, but it works fine.

Can't wait to see how it flies!

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

How is the joystick resolution?

Pyrofer

Post by Pyrofer »

The sticks seem ok. I get good range (I tuned the code to ensure that!) but I have yet to see how it actually works in flight, and that is all that matters.

The PS2 pad restricts motion slightly. If you hack out the edges of the stick holes you can get more movement in all axis.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Would it be possible to connect to a simulator like RealFlight or every the Free one? I believe there are some RX modifications to make a USB donger around. This way, there would be no surprises. :)

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Here is an example, I am sure you could make something similar.

http://www.modelguard.com/simstream.html

Pyrofer

Post by Pyrofer »

Yes, ANY of the trainers that work by connecting to a real RX will work. It just appears as a completely normal TX to any other equipment.
It doesn't have the wired trainer output, but I could add it if I want with 2 wires.

cardboard

Post by cardboard »

I did this to an xbox controller a number of years back, was far more ergonomic then any other controller I have ever used.
I just wish It would be possible to remove the centre return for the throttle, it's a shame it is tied directly into the roll/yaw as well.
I now fly my multicopters with a joystick :D

gompf-2

Post by gompf-2 »

It´s also possible to skip the HW-mod of the gamepad and use spi to talk to the PS2-pad and use all buttons. Even some off the buttons are analog.I build one for OLRS: http://forum.flytron.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=144&start=10#p2764
But nice work, you finished your project. I normaly start a new one after proof of concept/use it but don´t finish the case :?

Pyrofer

Post by Pyrofer »

I initially started trying to use the PS2 pad unmodified like you suggest but had issues getting it to work.
I didn't have a clue what was up but the pad was not returning values as expected.
Rather than spend ages debugging I just ripped the pad apart instead.

Tommie has put wii nunchuk support into the code now (i2c interface) so I am sure you could make a TX using one of those extremely easily. I did like the idea of a joystick but didn't think it would be easy to carry/hold when flying.

gompf-2

Post by gompf-2 »

Pyrofer wrote:I initially started trying to use the PS2 pad unmodified like you suggest but had issues getting it to work.
I didn't have a clue what was up but the pad was not returning values as expected.
Rather than spend ages debugging I just ripped the pad apart instead.

:D No problem, I did it the same way in the first run. I just knowed that it MUST work nice via ISP because this pads are also used to control micromanipulators for sub µm operations (Kleindiek) so I spend a second run with a cut down lib. Problem in may case was sram on 328p. Again, nice work!

Pyrofer

Post by Pyrofer »

The more I think of it the more I agree that using a ps2lib is the way to go.
I could still fit the AVR internally, and still cut the cable off the pad, the difference would be instead of using loads of wires I would only have the spi to the pad connector.
Having access to all the buttons and their analog values IS the way to go. Saying that, if I did it again I would use a PS3 pad or Xbox360 Pad, as they are bigger.
They have LiPo ready inside (well, even better on xbox! it can unplug) and the PS3 pad has the USB connector already.

There are many issues, it could have been ram or something else stopping it working. I got impatient and ripped the pad up instead.
Likely, any future TX with a ps2pad I would try to get the library working.

The end result of this one, I am happy with. Its a little odd to fly but motor problems have stopped me getting any serious time with it.