New Tri Takes Flight w/2 axis GoPro Mount

Centurian

New Tri Takes Flight w/2 axis GoPro Mount

Post by Centurian »

Hi Guys, just wanted to share... built this for a pro video customer, will have more available...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK-UdvWY0ZQ

If anyone's interested in one, let me know.

Alex, I'll send you a camera mount if you'd like... pm me an address.

Thanks,

Doug

Alexinparis

Re: New Tri Takes Flight w/2 axis GoPro Mount

Post by Alexinparis »

Hi Doug,

Sure I'm interested also.
I've just bought my first GoproHD 15 days ago, and I've never had the opportunity to test my cam stab code.

Centurian

Post by Centurian »

Alexinparis wrote:Hi Doug,

Sure I'm interested also.
I've just bought my first GoproHD 15 days ago, and I've never had the opportunity to test my cam stab code.

PM me a shipping address, here or on RCG and I'll send you one... it's the least I could do for your efforts!!!

Trying to find a non serial sum solution for pitch trim on a 328... thinking of a simple 2 channel mixer and just go around the arduino.. have any better ideas??

arnaldo

Post by arnaldo »

on my camera mount i added an extra pitch command...so i have 2 pitch control on the same pod...1 for arduino 1 for tx

Centurian

Post by Centurian »

Hey Alex, your camera mount went out Monday.

I'm retrofitting my old tri with a camera mount and plan to use a PWM rx so I can run cam pitch trim thru the 328 arduino. My understanding is that 1.7 reads the additional channels but the cam code doesn't currently support cam trim. I havn't looked at the code yet, just trying to understand what I need to do to make this set up work. Any advice and/or code changes would be appreciated.

I have some 2 channel mixers on the way to mix an RX channel with the arduino cam output, but I'm wondering if they will work with the different PWM update rates of the rx & ardunio.... I'm guessing they may be analog devices and choke on the different data rates.

THanks,

Doug

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

Hi,
Thank you Doug,

Just a hint about the code:
with a pure gimbal setup it's possible to add the RC position to the GIMBAL:
servo[1] = constrain(TILT_PITCH_MIDDLE + TILT_PITCH_PROP * angle[PITCH] /16 + rcCommand[PITCH], TILT_PITCH_MIN, TILT_PITCH_MAX);
servo[2] = constrain(TILT_ROLL_MIDDLE + TILT_ROLL_PROP * angle[ROLL] /16 + rcCommand[ROLL], TILT_ROLL_MIN, TILT_ROLL_MAX);

with the servo tilt option, it's not currently possible:
servo[1] = constrain(TILT_PITCH_MIDDLE + TILT_PITCH_PROP * angle[PITCH] /16 , TILT_PITCH_MIN, TILT_PITCH_MAX);
servo[2] = constrain(TILT_ROLL_MIDDLE + TILT_ROLL_PROP * angle[ROLL] /16 , TILT_ROLL_MIN, TILT_ROLL_MAX);

If you look at the code, the only difference is the addition of rcCommand[]

the final code will look something like this:
servo[1] = constrain(TILT_PITCH_MIDDLE + TILT_PITCH_PROP * angle[PITCH] /16 + rcCommand[CAMPITCH], TILT_PITCH_MIN, TILT_PITCH_MAX);
servo[2] = constrain(TILT_ROLL_MIDDLE + TILT_ROLL_PROP * angle[ROLL] /16 + rcCommand[CAMROLL], TILT_ROLL_MIN, TILT_ROLL_MAX);

the adaptation is easy, but I've no time now to add this and check everything without side effects... I need more hours in the day ;)

Centurian

Post by Centurian »

Hey Alex,

Great "hint" but it's not working.... how about another hint??? Hey, I just figured it out.. tell me what you think...

It appears to me that rcCommand is only defined up to 4 (5 channels). The really strange thing is that the roll cam servo was being directly effected by the roll command channel (0 I think). That makes no sense to me seems like there should be some error generated like subscript out of range if rcCommand is only 0-4.

This is the solution that is working for me:

Code: Select all

servo[1] = constrain(TILT_PITCH_MIDDLE + TILT_PITCH_PROP * angle[PITCH] /16 + rcData[CAMPITCH]-1500, TILT_PITCH_MIN, TILT_PITCH_MAX);
      servo[2] = constrain(TILT_ROLL_MIDDLE + TILT_ROLL_PROP * angle[ROLL] /16 + rcData[CAMROLL]-1500, TILT_ROLL_MIN, TILT_ROLL_MAX);

Troubleshooting this stuff is a pain because the only way I've been able to monitor values is to substute an unused gui varible and watch them in the gui. I wish I knew how to send stuff to the serial monitor for troubleshooting.

noobee

Post by noobee »

Centurian wrote:Troubleshooting this stuff is a pain because the only way I've been able to monitor values is to substute an unused gui varible and watch them in the gui. I wish I knew how to send stuff to the serial monitor for troubleshooting.

you could open the serial monitor and then Serial.print() variables to the monitor and not use the GUI. really useful for debugging non timing sensitive stuff.

Centurian

Post by Centurian »

Got it all working today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X5Sh6Lxk6c

Sorry I'm so long winded!!