Rushduino OSD - Multiwii based open software osd

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
kataventos

Re: Rushduino OSD - Multiwii based open software osd

Post by kataventos »

staroman wrote:Hi kataventos,
i think i will give up. I loaded the 2.11 1240 on my FC and your 1.01 in the OSD. It doesnt work. No chance. I see only the horizon. Do you have really an original Rushduino Board V1.2? I dont understand where there a problem is...

Jan

Don´t be so desperate ! everything will be OK.
1- No, I have Rush 1.1, but that does not matter at all.
2- Did you upload this character map? http://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-development/downloads/detail?name=Rushduino.mcm.zip&can=2&q=

You have all the tools here http://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-development/downloads/list

staroman

Post by staroman »

Yes i have loaded the map.
If i reload the original SW by johnny (the beta9) it looks ok. Only that i get no datas from the FC because of the new serial protocol of the 2.11. But the Display looks good. All things are on the right place. And with the new soft... I see only crap ;-) No idea.
Jan

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

staroman wrote:Yes i have loaded the map.
If i reload the original SW by johnny (the beta9) it looks ok. Only that i get no datas from the FC because of the new serial protocol of the 2.11. But the Display looks good. All things are on the right place. And with the new soft... I see only crap ;-) No idea.
Jan

Sorry :? I do not know...

For me it works nice and for some others to... I do not see anything wrong with the dev I uploaded.

EDIT: Are you using PAL or NTSC? Problem found :evil: go and change that, I´m from Europe so my devs are PAL by default.

itain

Post by itain »

I'm trying to upgrade from the old Rushduino beta 0.7 firmware (with some modifications) to Rush_KV_1_0_1 which has many improvements. I'm getting all the display elements which depend on videoSignalType and screenType squeezed to the top-left area of the screen.
I'm using Rushduino 1.1 (older version without the temperature sensor). I compiled with anrduino 1.0.2 and then backed to 1.0. Same results.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HytulVfWRlY&feature=plcp

Do other people get the same symptoms?

I also tried to compile using Makefile and Arduino.mk. Using a newer version of the compiler and all warnings enabled. I'm getting so many warnings and many of them are important! Time for code cleanup!

-- Itai

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

I use the same board as you.
Your problem seems to be equal to staroman...! :? I don´t understand why... For me is working perfectly...
I will try to understand but I am not going to spend much time around that, I´m working in getting all the info precise because I want to use this OSD with all it got, I will release my work when the rain stops,
the only thing missing is the trip statistic, and I need to fly to test it, everything else is very much ok.

Regarding your problem... I´m sorry, if I´m not able to reproduce I will have some difficult in fix it, but I will try.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Please try:

/********Attachment was removed for cleanup**********/ ;)
Last edited by kataventos on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

itain

Post by itain »

Thanks kataventos,
I tried the latest 2.0 with same results.
I suspect the problem may be over usage of ram (and stack overflow).

I'm starting to do some cleanup with your version 2.0:
Move some constants from ram to PROGMEM.
Remove unused variables.
Add const attributes where required.
explicitly say that some char variables are unsigned char.

In the process I found some bugs:
In MAX7456_DrawScreen, index to screen buffer out of range.
In displayGPS_speed, speed will always show 0 for IMPERIAL units.

There are already many changes but I'm not done yet.

-- Itai

staroman

Post by staroman »

yes. its the same behavior like me... :-(
Jan

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

itain wrote:Thanks kataventos,
I tried the latest 2.0 with same results.
I suspect the problem may be over usage of ram (and stack overflow).

-- Itai

OK, it´s possible and thanks for your help.
But how can I and others don´t have that problem?
Sent you private for repository.

Cheers,
KV

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

staroman wrote:yes. its the same behavior like me... :-(
Jan

OK ;) we are taking care of that!

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

@ Itain

Did you saw my message?
I have removed all unused variables, I don´t think that the constants using ram are creating this problem for you both but...
About IMPERIAL unit... forgot somethings that I don´t use :mrgreen:

What prog are you using to get the info about out of range drawscreen and other problems?

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

I´m going to do some house cleaning for 2.1, unused chars and variables out :mrgreen:

http://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-development/downloads/detail?name=Rush_KV_2_0.zip&can=2&q=#makechanges

For me and some others KV_2.0 work like you all can see in this video!

http://youtu.be/V4JkmixViI4

@Itain and Staroman
Did you two made a clean start on your OSD´s?

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Kata, that looks really good to me. Makes me now want a Rushunio board.Wow!

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

copterrichie wrote:Kata, that looks really good to me. Makes me now want a Rushunio board.Wow!

Thank you Richie, yes it works now, but I don´t think that you will be able to buy one of this... the factory closed :(
Actually I must say that I miss Gab and I think that something bad happened to him... :cry: it is not normal he sudently disappeared.

I have talked with Bledi and he does not know either... Bledi is full of work, that´s why he comes here only from time to time!
Last edited by kataventos on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

That does not sound good at all!!! :eek!

justk1w1

Post by justk1w1 »

Had a similar issue and found that the issue is with the eeprom variables not being initialised with a clean build. I modified the code to initialise the eeprom if the values weren't present and all seems to be working fine now.

justk1w1

Post by justk1w1 »

Just noticed the activity going on with the RUSHDUINO OSD code so thought I mention:

I'm in the process of rewriting quite a bit of the code :

the MAX7456 code to make it a little more efficient - look to add updates to the display on VSYNC interrupt,
completed an update of the config screens to get the boxnames and PIDnames from MW (trying to make it a little more flexible with changes to MW), move the config features around to try to standardise the screen layout and simplify the screen control.
Add a WP screen to show current configured WP's and which selected.
added a RX module to allow additional AUX channels to be connected and decoded so I can add a mux to switch between cameras and turn features on and off.
create a serial priority list to mange the order of requests for MSP data from the FC - dependant on the current selected function (i.e. if not in PID screen don't go asking for it - alternatively if in PID screen don't go asking for RC data or sensor data)
split the onboard sensor calculations to it's own timer away from the serial comms and lower the priority.
add a serial relay section to allow an XBEE to be connected to this and not the FC
Add AUX function select screens to the config section - create a new main menu
Add recording options to the OSD so you can record flight information (not video) using the OSD micro,

all with the hope of being able to compress the code to fit on a 32u4.

I'm also hoping to make the whole unit a modular unit with standard connections so that I can swap it between models with minimal effort so as to keep the costs down.

I'm currently using a mega with a max7456 breakout board and a HK328P FC running r1240 - I2C GPS, I2C sonar.
Cheers

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

justk1w1 wrote:Had a similar issue and found that the issue is with the eeprom variables not being initialised with a clean build. I modified the code to initialise the eeprom if the values weren't present and all seems to be working fine now.

Yes... this is more what I was thinking on.
If it is working for you, I dont understand why don´t you share the changes so everyone that have this problem can see it working. Thit is a good thing to do does not hurt, and spare´s me some time :) .

shikra

Post by shikra »

justk1w1 wrote:the MAX7456 code to make it a little more efficient - look to add updates to the display on VSYNC interrupt,

I was going to suggest same to Kaventos - but don't know if Rushduino has that pin connected. It will remove flicker and random flashing bars. I do that on my base OSD - easy win...

@Kaventos - kudos to you for pushing this forward.
As Rushduino is no longer available, and the minim is so cheap - I'd really suggest concentration on that as core option.

How about bundling the options into #define minim or rushduino?

I just loaded your latest up - looks Ok at first glance. Runs on Minim with only couple of pin changes. Havent flown yet as concentration on some debug stuff

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

shikra wrote:
I was going to suggest same to Kaventos - but don't know if Rushduino has that pin connected. It will remove flicker and random flashing bars. I do that on my base OSD - easy win...

@Kaventos - kudos to you for pushing this forward.
As Rushduino is no longer available, and the minim is so cheap - I'd really suggest concentration on that as core option.

How about bundling the options into #define minim or rushduino?

I just loaded your latest up - looks Ok at first glance. Runs on Minim with only couple of pin changes. Havent flown yet as concentration on some debug stuff

Thank you Shikra, it´s nothing but a pleasure to me.
I think that is awesome to introduce minim on this, I will have to buy one to use on test´s.
Please fill free to help me because as you know, I´m not a coder professionally and I spent many time to understand some things.

All my implementations, formulas etc, got me almost insane with all my spare time, but to see them working and others appreciation put´s my back and neck pain aside :mrgreen:
(still insane however)

alexia

Post by alexia »

i think it s the more interessing feature for multiwii since gps add on.
a cheap osd could be a great thing!thanks for ALL coders for this incredible work.
it s a new letter of nobless your are wrote for this project ;)
once all will run well with cheap chinese board, it will have a huge succes

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

alexia wrote:i think it s the more interessing feature for multiwii since gps add on.
a cheap osd could be a great thing!thanks for ALL coders for this incredible work.
it s a new letter of nobless your are wrote for this project ;)
once all will run well with cheap chinese board, it will have a huge succes

When I saw the characteristics I knew that implementations like powermeter, Vbat etc, would be very welcome on this board (Minim OSD) so I´m working with Minim in mind since the beginning.
The only analog read I´m using is battery voltage, not even RSSI because I have that on 9x with the FRSky module, so...
I think that a Minim would do the same as my original Rushduino, but I like my Rush much more... :D

Probably me, or someone else will make a how to use analog readings wiki for it because they are a very simple thing to add with some resistors and fine soldering like the adds on 9x... tiny tiny but worthy ;)

justk1w1

Post by justk1w1 »

kataventos wrote:
justk1w1 wrote:Had a similar issue and found that the issue is with the eeprom variables not being initialised with a clean build. I modified the code to initialise the eeprom if the values weren't present and all seems to be working fine now.

Yes... this is more what I was thinking on.
If it is working for you, I dont understand why don´t you share the changes so everyone that have this problem can see it working. Thit is a good thing to do does not hurt, and spare´s me some time :) .

kataventos,

Happy to share the changes - still in the process of completing all the changes to the MAX7456 sketch, but once I get these sorted then more than happy to post the changes somewhere. Any chance you can detail all the changes that you have been doing - do not want to loose all the good work that you have done.
Just completed the coding for the aux channels, with config pages - bit of testing to do on these and some fine tuning to do on the main screen display (not running using the vsync, but more stable). I dont have a Rush or Minim board, but will try to run it up on a UNO even though this is a 328 and not a 328p (i'll have to investigate the differences).

Cheers

shikra

Post by shikra »

Just as an update - i'm using a minim board. Added a few resistors to the camera "12v" pin / ground / pin 24, couple of changes to the code and works great without using the MW bat

Can anyone advise if vsync from max chip is connected to the 328 chip - if so, which pin

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

shikra wrote:Just as an update - i'm using a minim board. Added a few resistors to the camera "12v" pin / ground / pin 24, couple of changes to the code and works great without using the MW bat

Can anyone advise if vsync from max chip is connected to the 328 chip - if so, which pin

If there is a person with the Rush board on top of FC please help on this, if not I can check but I will have to dismout my FC :evil: Can someone help on this? it is most appreciated.

Easy task with a multimeter... just check vsync pin on Max 7456 (on datasheet) and see where does it go on 328p !

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

[quote="kataventos]
If there is a person with the Rush board on top of FC please help on this, if not I can check but I will have to dismout my FC :evil: Can someone help on this? it is most appreciated.

Easy task with a multimeter... just check vsync pin on Max 7456 (on datasheet) and see where does it go on 328p ![/quote][/quote][/quote]
Hi all,
If you are speaking about minim-osd, I saw two schematics, one V05 and another V11.
In both the vsync of MAX7456 is connected to pin n.32 (PD2/INT0) of 328P.
Note: vsync is also connected to a 1K pull-up resistor as suggested on max datasheet.

I'm still waiting for my minim-osd clone board !!! :evil:
Bye, Carlo

faraz

Post by faraz »

Hi community Members,
I would really appreciate the schematic of Rushduino OSD. Is there any difference in MinimOSD and Rushduino OSD is hardware layout?. Thanks

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

faraz wrote:Hi community Members,
I would really appreciate the schematic of Rushduino OSD. Is there any difference in MinimOSD and Rushduino OSD is hardware layout?. Thanks

Take a close look at this board, I believe it is close enough to the Rushduino to work with very little to no modifications to the existing code. Granted, I don't know for sure because I don't own one.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1776186

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Minim OSD ordered ;)

As soon as it arrives we are going to have all the answers about hardware mods ( I promise to take care of that) and try to make a good wiki on repository.
I will follow all Rush pins and take all measurements necessary to a good hack on Minim, this means that for now will not take my Rush board out of the drone,
it´s better to wait and make everything in one time only.

vpb

Post by vpb »

kataventos wrote:Minim OSD ordered ;)

:P so curious

shikra

Post by shikra »

Just to be clear - this works fine on a minim....
- With a few VERY minor changes to software
- And only for voltage /info available through the Multiwii board (what you can see on the GUI pretty much)

If you want voltage / rssi / current directly to the OSD, this will require some hardware mods - resistors, fine soldering

If I get chance I'll do a vid, its either too cold, wet or windy for me....
below zero today. I managed 10 mins and that was enough....

HTH

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Why not just have the MWC read the RSSI and created another element in the Protocol to pass it to the OSD?

rortega

Post by rortega »

I want to buy one MinimOSD for my quad but i don't know If it measures the voltage from 4S lipo battery connecting the wires directly to some pin on the MinimOSD, or do I need some voltage sensor? Is it needed some mod to connect it?
Thanks.

shikra

Post by shikra »

copterrichie wrote:Why not just have the MWC read the RSSI and created another element in the Protocol to pass it to the OSD?

Agree .. as long as have a spare pin on wii

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

Hi all,
Thanks to kataventos and all other developers I run my fresh arrivel Minim OSD v0.1 clone.
Take a look at vid here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs4MAwvE8jg
You see only startup screen and minimal information because it's not yet connected to my F Controller MWii.
I want only verify that all working good :lol:
Now I can start to understand and modify (if necessary) helping you all.

Note: The first run need some default data already in the EEPROM of Mega chip, else you have only the start up screen with logo.
Bye Carlo

alexia

Post by alexia »

very very good news
for me this feature is very important

dramida

Post by dramida »

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

dramida wrote:Here you can buy MinimOSD with 18$

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/on-screen-di ... apm-2.html

That is the cost of the MAX7456 alone. Good Price.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

shikra wrote:Just to be clear - this works fine on a minim....
If you want voltage / rssi / current directly to the OSD, this will require some hardware mods - resistors, fine soldering

HTH

Yes Shikra, I know that... I was talking about the mods for analogue readings. I think that anyone with some skils can do the mods we are talking about. When I said that I´m going to follow all pins on Rush, was to do the mods on Minim using same layout as Rush, this way we can keep defines low.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

shikra wrote:
copterrichie wrote:Why not just have the MWC read the RSSI and created another element in the Protocol to pass it to the OSD?

Agree .. as long as have a spare pin on wii

This is great idea and good feature.

@Shikra
Do you think it´s possible to use RX´s like D8RII+?
Since the read is made by the Aduino, probably the code can work around, this way we can get RSSI on the LED without a buffer, I know that it flashes when reading packages... Never worried much about this but I can read about if you think that it´s possible.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

carlonb wrote:Hi all,
Thanks to kataventos and all other developers I run my fresh arrivel Minim OSD v0.1 clone.
You see only startup screen and minimal information because it's not yet connected to my F Controller MWii.

Note: The first run need some default data already in the EEPROM of Mega chip, else you have only the start up screen with logo.
Bye Carlo

:mrgreen: Glad it´s working! Have you changed only config.h for your needs?

dramida

Post by dramida »

Last fw version of Frsky D8R II receiver has rssi on ch2 as pwm and ppm on ch1 (if you put a jumper between 3 and 4)

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

kataventos wrote:
carlonb wrote:Hi all,

Bye Carlo

:mrgreen: Glad it´s working! Have you changed only config.h for your needs?

Hi Kata,
I changed a bit on "Rush_KV_2_0.ino" file adding a check for EEprom contents (location 0 must != to an arbitrary value), if it's empty, I fill it with some default data, else if already filled, the program skip write ando go to read eeprom.
Yesterday I've connected FC MWii vers. 2.1 and I had all data on screen and I'm able to Arm/Disarm but some detail not run good (not correct GPS and Mag status indications) .
Tried with MWii dev 1240, but I'm not able to Arm/Disarm and If I move the 3-pos switch on RC will Arm copter !!! :shock:
Still no correct GPS status indication.
Now I need to understand how work MWii serial protocol.

Bye, Carlo

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

carlonb wrote:Tried with MWii dev 1240, but I'm not able to Arm/Disarm and If I move the 3-pos switch on RC will Arm copter !!! :shock:

Bye, Carlo

That last problem have been talked already, it´s mode active... please read. Your copter it´s not armed, OSD just says it is.

About GPS and Mag... Please compare it with GUI, that issue is not normal, and I must say that is very unlikely... but I will not say nothing at this time without my Minim tested :roll:

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

kataventos wrote:
carlonb wrote:Tried with MWii dev 1240, but I'm not able to Arm/Disarm and If I move the 3-pos switch on RC will Arm copter !!! :shock:

Bye, Carlo

That last problem have been talked already, it´s mode active... please read. Your copter it´s not armed, OSD just says it is.

About GPS and Mag... Please compare it with GUI, that issue is not normal, and I must say that is very unlikely... but I will not say nothing at this time without my Minim tested :roll:

Yes, my copter is not armed, only OSD says that.
About GPS and MAG I already compared with GUI and all is OK.
It's very hard now to understand the behaviour of MSP_STATUS and decode it to try some mods :x
Bye

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Don´t worry with that, Shikra is already working on Minim and it´s stable, I think that a new dev will be there soon.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

dramida wrote:Last fw version of Frsky D8R II receiver has rssi on ch2 as pwm and ppm on ch1 (if you put a jumper between 3 and 4)

OK thanks, I´m going to look into that.
Is this the one?

http://www.frsky-rc.com/DownloadItem.asp

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

kataventos wrote:Don´t worry with that, Shikra is already working on Minim and it´s stable, I think that a new dev will be there soon.

Hi Kataventos,
I think I have solved the mistery about how to diplay sensors and armed/disarmed correctly, I will clarify better later.
Now seems all shown correctly on screen. :lol:
Bye
Carlo

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

How to config correctly in order to show sensors and Arm/Disarm indication (Mode active).
Take a look at "MultiWii.ino" file of MWii sketch in "enum box...."

Code: Select all

enum box {
  #if ACC
    BOXANGLE,    // 1
    BOXHORIZON,    // 2
  #endif
  #if BARO && (!defined(SUPPRESS_BARO_ALTHOLD))
    BOXBARO,    // 4
  #endif
  #if MAG
    BOXMAG,    // 8
  #endif
  #if defined(SERVO_TILT) || defined(GIMBAL)  || defined(SERVO_MIX_TILT)
    BOXCAMSTAB,    // ---
  #endif
  #if defined(CAMTRIG)
    BOXCAMTRIG,  // ---
  #endif
  BOXARM,    // 16
  #if GPS
    BOXGPSHOME,  // 32
    BOXGPSHOLD,  // 64
  #endif
  #if defined(FIXEDWING) || defined(HELICOPTER) || defined(INFLIGHT_ACC_CALIBRATION)
    BOXPASSTHRU,
  #endif
  #if MAG
    BOXHEADFREE,
  #endif
  #if defined(BUZZER)
    BOXBEEPERON,
  #endif
  #if defined(LED_FLASHER)
    BOXLEDMAX, // we want maximum illumination
    BOXLEDLOW, // low/no lights
  #endif
  #if defined(LANDING_LIGHTS_DDR)
    BOXLLIGHTS, // enable landing lights at any altitude
  #endif
  #if MAG
    BOXHEADADJ, // acquire heading for HEADFREE mode
  #endif
  CHECKBOXITEMS
};

And to clarify I've added a commented power of 2 for each sensor/device I already have defined in my MWii config file.
So, you must take a note of that power of 2 skipping sensor/devices not defined.
These numbers are to be defined in "config.h" of OSD sketch
Example:

Code: Select all

#define STABLEMODE     1
// horizon not used    2
#define BAROMODE       4
#define MAGMODE        8
#define ARMEDMODE      16
#define GPSHOMEMODE    32
#define GPSHOLDMODE    64

Now, for me it's OK, please verify by yourself.
May be that for someone this is the discovery of the Hot Water :lol: but for me was a battle..Hope this is usefull for other guys.
P.S. I hope that procedure will be done automatically in the future by OSD sketch related to the defines in MWii sketch. ;)

Bye, Carlo

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

I´m working on that issue, but it´s not so linear as (done automatically by the OSD) a work around was posted here previously, but definitely does not resolve this issue because there are to much different boards out there and with different configurations. Note that on Multiwii code you must define your setup and preferences, why not on your OSD? That´s why it is on config.h ;) You have done well, and it is a good way to explain how to configure this part Carlo.
All my life I believed in one thing: We can always learn with every one as soon as we really want to learn.

Thank you, it´s good to have more interested "pilots" on (how does it works?) and less on (this does not work!)
I´m afraid that there is no such thing as hot water for me to... ;)