Rushduino OSD - Multiwii based open software osd

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
kataventos

Re: Rushduino OSD - Multiwii based open software osd

Post by kataventos »

trailblazer wrote:I´m using an Allegro ACS755 currentsensor for measuring the current draw.
Because of the sensor offset, I added just 2 lines of code. The offset is about 0.6V and the sensor has a slope of 60mV/A.
It is directly connected to the "Cur" Pin on the Rushduino board (only a LPF is added 330Ohm/10µF). I haven´t checked the consumption over time, but the values in the OSD have been tested against a multimeter for correct readings.

Code: Select all

const int amperageOffset=123; //ACS755 Offset
 rawamperage = analogRead(amperagePin)-amperageOffset;
  if(rawamperage<0) rawamperage=0;
  amperage = (float(rawamperage))/1.23;

I´m going to try with MWC info thru powermeter, but Allegro is on my wish list for Christmas ;) My drone have already a power distribution board pre drilled for that sensor.

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

kataventos wrote:Hi Carlo,

to try this you need to download "alfa1" make the changes to "mode acive" I posted before and the last changes I posted and compile, our boss did not compile this yet :geek:
About your problem... I don´t use minimosd so, in dark with that, I think you have to install new characters chart, like on Rushduino!? But it seems that you´ve done this already or not? Try install fresh Java...

Hi kataventos, thanks for reply,
I'm still waiting for a monimosd clone board so I've tested nothing.
Waiting for this board I'm interested to learn more about charset mods for this OSD.
I know nothing about how to use that "charwizard", i thinked ....open the wizard...load an existing charset file...mod it....save it. :)
But how to do all that? How to start MAX7456Charwizard?
P.S. I already installed a fresh version of Java RTE.
Bye, carlo

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

carlonb wrote:
kataventos wrote:Hi Carlo,

to try this you need to download "alfa1" make the changes to "mode acive" I posted before and the last changes I posted and compile, our boss did not compile this yet :geek:
About your problem... I don´t use minimosd so, in dark with that, I think you have to install new characters chart, like on Rushduino!? But it seems that you´ve done this already or not? Try install fresh Java...

Hi kataventos, thanks for reply,
I'm still waiting for a monimosd clone board so I've tested nothing.
Waiting for this board I'm interested to learn more about charset mods for this OSD.
I know nothing about how to use that "charwizard", i thinked ....open the wizard...load an existing charset file...mod it....save it. :)
But how to do all that? How to start MAX7456Charwizard?
P.S. I already installed a fresh version of Java RTE.
Bye, carlo

OK, first you need the character chart uploaded, then you need to use Arduino 1.0 and compile the code, after compiling it for MinimOSD you use an FTDI to upload as for the character chart. Simple :ugeek:

EDIT_ The following are required :
• FTDI adapter ( or something to program your OSD )
• Realterm software (http://realterm.sourceforge.net/index.h ... s_Download)
• Bledi 3.mcm ( available here : http://code.google.com/p/rushduinoosd/d ... akechanges )
• Arduino V1.0 installed and working

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

kataventos wrote:[OK, first you need the character chart uploaded, then you need to use Arduino 1.0 and compile the code, after compiling it for MinimOSD you use an FTDI to upload as for the character chart. Simple :ugeek:

EDIT_ The following are required :
• FTDI adapter ( or something to program your OSD )
• Realterm software (http://realterm.sourceforge.net/index.h ... s_Download)
• Bledi 3.mcm ( available here : http://code.google.com/p/rushduinoosd/d ... akechanges )
• Arduino V1.0 installed and working

OK, thanks very much.
I already have all that stuff.
As soon as I receive minimosd clone board I will try.
Bye, Carlo

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

No luck on modifying the code for rushduino to work with the MWC POWERMETER... I was able to see some consuming even with the motors off!?
@Boss, can you help on this? I see you have done it for minimOSD and it looked simple, was that working? I have try all the things I can understand!

jevermeister

Post by jevermeister »

ask hamburger on how to configure current sensor.
tip: monitor consumption with sensor not connected to battery this value needs to be subtracted. you addiruonally need a loepass filter ir a moving average software filter

nils

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

jevermeister wrote:ask hamburger on how to configure current sensor.
tip: monitor consumption with sensor not connected to battery this value needs to be subtracted. you addiruonally need a loepass filter ir a moving average software filter

nils

Thank you Nils, I will ask Hamburger for some help, at this time this is the only thing missing for this OSD to work 100% without another sensor soldered to my distribution board :geek: I think that POWERMETER can do the job nicely if well tuned. Regarding all work that you all have done recently with the barometric sensor, it is possible to see real values on screen (Altitude and Vario), it was really amazing and I am proud of this community´s development work ;)

vpb

Post by vpb »

Hi kataventos, can you share your board pictures? I've ordered Frsky FS100 current sensor to integrate with current frsky code, do you have any experiment on that sensor with Multiwii?

lolsen

Post by lolsen »

hey, i got the V1.1 board also and i´m trying to get it working.
i used the latest rushduino code and it´s working with this one but the horizont is bucking and not very smoth and with this software ( http://code.google.com/p/osd-max7456-multiwii/ ) i only get the screen type narrow so its not working propper.
i found this video in this theard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMdPRiae ... 1353309720) and would be interestes in this software and what current sensor is used, so could it be downloaded somewhere? i also got a pololu ACS715 current sensor but dont know exactly what to change to get it work.

matze

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

kataventos wrote:

nils

Thank you Nils, I will ask Hamburger for some help, at this time this is the only thing missing for this OSD to work 100% without another sensor soldered to my distribution board :geek: I think that POWERMETER can do the job nicely if well tuned. Regarding all work that you all have done recently with the barometric sensor, it is possible to see real values on screen (Altitude and Vario), it was really amazing and I am proud of this community´s development work ;)

Hi,
as I got that same technical question repeatedly per pm I prefer to answer in public as usual.
I am not familiar with rushduino.osd capabilites, so bear with me.
How to setup powermeter for MWii is described in the wiki http://www.multiwii.com/wiki/index.php?title=Powermeter. With a hardware sensor I found accuracy to be within 5% or better if tuned well.
MWii supplies both voltage and powermeter value (equivalent to mAh consumed) per MSP_BAT command to the outside world. Or look at the GUI code for reference maybe.
Hope that helps.

Oh, and please do not give me credit for altitude (hold) or vario improvements. The only thing I did was use the available vario (vertical speed) for a variometer (audio signaling).
Hamburger

shikra

Post by shikra »

@modelci

Thanks for answers. I tried last week, but no output from Minim OSD.
I had a very brief look at code - I am unable to test for a couple of weeks, but with a quick look - probably this needs to be changed...

void MAX7456_DrawScreen(char *string,int Adresse)
{
int xx;
pinMode(10,OUTPUT);
pinMode(10,HIGH);

to

pinMode(MAX7456SELECT,OUTPUT);
pinMode(MAX7456SELECT,HIGH);

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hamburger wrote:
kataventos wrote:

nils

How to setup powermeter for MWii is described in the wiki http://www.multiwii.com/wiki/index.php?title=Powermeter. With a hardware sensor I found accuracy to be within 5% or better if tuned well.
MWii supplies both voltage and powermeter value (equivalent to mAh consumed) per MSP_BAT command to the outside world. Or look at the GUI code for reference maybe.
Hope that helps.

Thank you Hamburger, I have read all of that already, and looked at multiwiiconf.pde ;) no luck
Continuing trying...

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

So what exactly does not work for you?
1. Do you have powermeter working with gui?

lolsen

Post by lolsen »

ok, i got the horizon moving smother on the latest rushduino v9 beta 0.7 but i dont know what to change for the current sensor.
it has an output sensitivity of 133 mV/A and i think an offset of 500mv.
pololu ACS715
"This output voltage is offset by 500 mV and increases by 133 mV per amp of input current. The output voltage decreases linearly below 500 mV for currents as low as -1.5 A."

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hamburger wrote:So what exactly does not work for you?

1- yes.
No output at all at this time.
These are just lines regarding POWERMETER:

On main.ino:

displayConsumedCurrent();
////////////////////////////
amperageConsumed += pMeterSum ; //(mAh)
    tenthSec=0;
    armedTimer++;

On GlobalVariables.ino

uint8_t  MwVBat=0;
//////////////////////
int16_t pMeterSum=0;
/////////////////////
// For Amperage
float amperage =0.0;  // its the real value x10
float amperageConsumed =pMeterSum;
////////////////////////
#define MSP_VERSION            0
////////////////////////
#define MSP_BAT                  110   //out message         vbat, powermetersum

On Screen.ino

/*void displayAmperage(void)
{
  // Real Ampere is ampere / 10
  xx= amperage;
  itoa(xx,screenBuffer,10);     
  FindNull();

yy=screenBuffer[xx-1];

if((amperage)<10)
  {
    screenBuffer[xx-1]='0';
    screenBuffer[xx++]='.';
  }
  else
  {
    screenBuffer[xx-1]='.';
  } 
  screenBuffer[xx++]=yy;  // find the NULL
  screenBuffer[xx++]=amperageUnitAdd;    // replace NULL by unit
  screenBuffer[xx]=0;                   // Restore the NULL
  MAX7456_WriteString(screenBuffer,amperagePosition[videoSignalType][screenType]);
}*/
void displayConsumedCurrent(void)
{
#if defined RUSHDUINO
  amperageConsumed=pMeterSum;
#endif

itoa(amperageConsumed,screenBuffer,10);

FindNull();   // find the NULL
  screenBuffer[xx++]=amperageConsumedUnitAdd;
  screenBuffer[xx]=0;                   // Restore the NULL
  MAX7456_WriteString(screenBuffer,amperageConsumedPosition[videoSignalType][screenType]);   
}

On Serial.ino

if (cmdMSP==MSP_BAT)  
   {
   read8();
   pMeterSum = read16();
   }
Last edited by kataventos on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

lolsen wrote:ok, i got the horizon moving smother on the latest rushduino v9 beta 0.7 but i dont know what to change for the current sensor.
it has an output sensitivity of 133 mV/A and i think an offset of 500mv.
pololu ACS715
"This output voltage is offset by 500 mV and increases by 133 mV per amp of input current. The output voltage decreases linearly below 500 mV for currents as low as -1.5 A."

Welcome Lolsen!That is not new dev, you have to install alfa1 from Modelci and and make the changes posted by TrailBlazer for smoother AH and my changes for altitude and vario (all posted before). For current sensor you can try Trailblazer´s last post about that regarding your sensor´s offset.

lolsen

Post by lolsen »

Hey, but when i do so it only gives me the screen type "narrow" but i need wide.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

lolsen wrote:Hey, but when i do so it only gives me the screen type "narrow" but i need wide.

Are you sing PAL or NTSC? you have to configure it on OSD. See this, it is Wide!?
http://youtu.be/fNoLS4Qfih8

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

kataventos wrote:

1- yes.

so powermeter is working on the MWC side and your problem is related to the rushduino.osd code? You'd be faring better getting help from JG, I presume.
Anyway, from what I saw

On main.ino:

pMeterSum in MWii holds mAh already; so this += is most probably wrong. Make that a = instead.

I propose you try and verify the MSP read part is working as a next step. Compare your implementation with other MSPs already present. Any chance to monitor the received value for pMeterSum to be sure communication between MWC and r.osd works as expected? From there fiddle with the ootput routine to print to osd.

lolsen

Post by lolsen »

i got pal and on the start screen it says that pal ist selected but unterneth narrow is written.
i tried several things and changed much in the code but with no effects.
( but i think the maxim chip is toasted again, after 10 minutes of usage all letters became funny colours and startet to "flash" with a very high frequency)

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

lolsen wrote:i got pal and on the start screen it says that pal ist selected but unterneth narrow is written.
i tried several things and changed much in the code but with no effects.
( but i think the maxim chip is toasted again, after 10 minutes of usage all letters became funny colours and startet to "flash" with a very high frequency)

roll back, not on code... configure on OSD page.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Hamburger wrote:
kataventos wrote:

1- yes.

so powermeter is working on the MWC side and your problem is related to the rushduino.osd code? You'd be faring better getting help from JG, I presume.
Anyway, from what I saw

On main.ino:

pMeterSum in MWii holds mAh already; so this += is most probably wrong. Make that a = instead.

I propose you try and verify the MSP read part is working as a next step. Compare your implementation with other MSPs already present. Any chance to monitor the received value for pMeterSum to be sure communication between MWC and r.osd works as expected? From there fiddle with the ootput routine to print to osd.

No chance to that at this moment but I will ASAP thanks ;)

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

No can do :cry: this with POWERMETER is getting far from my knowledge, I´m ordering a current sensor for the OSD. Maybe the Boss (@Modelci) can help with this, thanks to all.

EDIT: Here is my last inside video to show last developments:

http://youtu.be/QQKaCK15iKQ

And here is the compiled code for Rushduino users:

Rushduino_MTK.zip
(20.61 KiB) Downloaded 157 times

I can not name it with a dev number because this is for the Boss :mrgreen: I called it ModelciTrailblazerKataventos Dev, you know...
Last edited by kataventos on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trailblazer

Post by trailblazer »

Here is my current version of the Rushduino SW. I can´t guarantee any proper operation in other setups, it´s maybe better just to take the parts out if it, you want to use in your version. I have modded the display layout a lot, also the charset is not fully compatible with the original (or bledi) version.
In addition I upload in the custom charset (you´ll need it for the high resolution artificial horizon).
Attachments
Rush_Custom_small_V2a.zip
(5.57 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
osd_max7456_multiwii_custom_h.zip
(20.9 KiB) Downloaded 129 times

dramida

Post by dramida »

The OSD hardware is already here at 18$, and i mean MinimOSD :

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/on-screen-di ... apm-2.html

Can be rushduino be used on the same hardware as minimOSD?

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

dramida wrote:The OSD hardware is already here at 18$, and i mean MinimOSD :

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/on-screen-di ... apm-2.html

Can be rushduino be used on the same hardware as minimOSD?

I think yes, you will have to define it on config.h. Any feedback from MinimOSD users would be great for Modelci to fix bugs.

shikra

Post by shikra »

I have 2 minims - neither work. yet.
I see no reason why they can't support this code with afew mods and loss of function.

Unfortunately I haven't opportunity to debug / investigate yet. I don't think it will take much effort... The code actually looks like it should work - am sure its something small. I did notice one thing that possibly needs amending - but unable to test / try out for a bit.

alexia

Post by alexia »

wooa it will be incredible if it can working with a cheap hardware like minimosd.

fr3d

Post by fr3d »

which are the diferences between bledi and MTK version ?
regards

staroman

Post by staroman »

Hi,
i dont know. I tried both versions (trailblazer and kataventos) on my Rushduino. It dosnt work with my 2.11 dev1232. I hav only the horizon... Nothing else. Any ideas whats my fault?
cu Jan

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

shikra wrote:I have 2 minims - neither work. yet.
I see no reason why they can't support this code with afew mods and loss of function.

The code actually looks like it should work - am sure its something small. I did notice one thing that possibly needs amending - but unable to test / try out for a bit.

It is something wrong with this process:

// Process AI
#if !defined MINIMOSD
  temperature=(analogRead(temperaturePin)*1.1)/10.23; 
  voltage=(analogRead(voltagePin)*1.1*DIVIDERRATIO)/102.3;
  rssiADC = (analogRead(rssiPin)*1.1)/1023;
  amperage = (analogRead(amperagePin)*1.1)/10.23;

// Blink Basic Sanity Test Led at 1hz
  if(tenthSec>10) BST_ON else BST_OFF
#endif

It says MINIMOSD but is directly connected to Rushduino #define!?
I do not have minim, try to upload the code using #define RUSHDUINO and put behind the sanity test part.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

staroman wrote:Hi,
i dont know. I tried both versions (trailblazer and kataventos) on my Rushduino. It dosnt work with my 2.11 dev1232. I hav only the horizon... Nothing else. Any ideas whats my fault?
cu Jan

Hi thanks for feedback staroman.

That´s not your fault, Modelci put it to work for last dev´s, developed for 2.2MWC so, probably r1232 was sharing like 2.1! At this time I recommend you to try r1240 or higher and report, it will work just great I think;)

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

fr3d wrote:which are the diferences between bledi and MTK version ?
regards

Visually, almost none. The principal difference is that all works as it should ;) I´m saying this thanks to Modelci, I just worked on the Altitude and Vario now accurate.
Thanks for trying.

PS: For r1240 or higher!

staroman

Post by staroman »

Hi kataventos,
I can not imagine thats the problem. because I also dont see the current and the voltage. Even if i dont connect the OSD to the serial of the FC. So in my opinion, if the SW works and the OSD has power it has to display the current and the voltage(from the currentsensor...). Something strange there...
Jan

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

staroman wrote:Hi kataventos,
I can not imagine thats the problem. because I also dont see the current and the voltage. Even if i dont connect the OSD to the serial of the FC. So in my opinion, if the SW works and the OSD has power it has to display the current and the voltage(from the currentsensor...). Something strange there...
Jan

OK... what changes have you made after downloaded them? Let´s start with MTK witch I know better.

EDIT: what .mcm do you have on it?

staroman

Post by staroman »

no changes. tried also the MTK version. same result. I have the original .MCM on it.
Jan

fr3d

Post by fr3d »

euh....thx for the answer,
Must I upload/update mcm files and how ?
regards

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

staroman wrote:no changes. tried also the MTK version. same result. I have the original .MCM on it.
Jan

?? what do you call original?

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

fr3d wrote:euh....thx for the answer,
Must I upload/update mcm files and how ?
regards

With this:
Max7456_Font_Update.zip
(2.79 KiB) Downloaded 130 times

upload (RUSHDUINO SANITY LED OFF after upload) and you will be ready for Realterm to upload the new .mcm file );
http://sourceforge.net/projects/realterm/
1-you have to configure on Port/Baud to 19200 and your Port
2- on Send/Dump File to Port select your new .mcm location
Rushduino.mcm.zip
(8.2 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

Send file and that´s it ;) you are ready for MTK
or this .mcm from Trailblazer, I like it to... is more retro/straight but not so good on screen with decoration, that is something I personally like to see ;)
Rush_Custom_small_V2a.mcm.zip
(6.92 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Last edited by kataventos on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

staroman

Post by staroman »

original means that which came with the board. i never changed it...
Jan

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

staroman wrote:original means that which came with the board. i never changed it...
Jan

That is your problem ;) do as described above.

modelci

Post by modelci »

I'm glad, developments continues with the highly assistances.

This is last and final for Rushduino board. Then only will continue for Minim-osd. Because, I need to empty place for new improvements in the flash.
http://osd-max7456-multiwii.googlecode.com/files/osd_max7456_multiwii_V1_2_alfa5.zip

Minim-OSD:
- Must be installed the character set (Rushduino OSD CC rev Bledi 7.mcm) on Minim-osd. Described here: http://rushduino-osd.googlecode.com/files/Caracter%20Map%20Update%20v1.pdf. Only change these in RushOSD_CP_v1_0.ino:
#define DATAOUT 11//11-MOSI
#define DATAIN 12//12-MISO
#define SPICLOCK 13//13-sck
#define MAX7456SELECT 6//10-ss
#define MAX7456RESET 10//10-ss
#define VSYNC 0x02// INT0

- OSD software in Config.h:
//#define DEBUG
//#define RUSHDUINO
#define MINIMOSD
//#define DIY-MODELCI

-This is a very important: Edit according to your own MW config.
// For Mode Active
#define STABLEMODE 1
#define BAROMODE 4
#define MAGMODE 8
#define BOXCAMSTAB 16
//#define BOXCAMTRIG 32
#define ARMEDMODE 32
#define GPSHOMEMODE 64
#define GPSHOLDMODE 128

There is still not a chance to test my changes! May have overlooked something!

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

modelci wrote:I'm glad, developments continues with the highly assistances.

This is last and final for Rushduino board. Then only will continue for Minim-osd. Because, I need to empty place for new improvements in the flash.
http://osd-max7456-multiwii.googlecode.com/files/osd_max7456_multiwii_V1_2_alfa5.zip

Hi Modelci, I want to thank you for all your work on Rushduino so far, since you do not have a Rush you can not test it conveniently. I´m glad you are going on with Minim, I think it is great to have all of this info in such a cheap piece of Hardware (I will buy one to) :mrgreen: Hope to see a dedicated topic to it on this forum.

Regarding your last dev, I do not know what to say!!! It just don´t work at all, is worse than alfa4, after all the work/info that me and Traiblazer posted here :shock: in this post you just repeated what we have posted before, except this changes for Minim #define MAX7456SELECT 6//10-ss
#define MAX7456RESET 10//10-ss. At this time we were waiting for a real free bug and better piece of software...

I wish you all good things with MinimOSD and I will keep an eye on your work on that. Everyone that have this Rushthing will continue trying to keep it working better and better.

Thanks for all your help.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Powermeter on Rushduino done :mrgreen: It just need to be tuned for precise reading.

fr3d

Post by fr3d »

kataventos wrote:With this: .../...

many thanks it's working.. :)
had troubles with video and I'had soldered 47µF capacitors. And now it's seems to be ok :D
too many wind to test today. :evil:
but is it a bug ? :?:
with mwc dev1240 when I select (from radio) acro mode, osd show stable mode.... mag and baro modes are ok
nb: i'm using mtk version.
Last edited by fr3d on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

staroman

Post by staroman »

Hi,
i give it up for the moment. I reload the .mcm file (Rushduino OSD CC rev Bledi 7.mcm). Then I flashed the Alfa5 version in my OSD. the result was this:

Nothing works...

With the last "official" Rushduino OSD i get the datas from the analog sensors. Only the serial connection to the FC doesnt work (SW is for the 2.1, i have the 2.11 dev 1232)

any ideas?

Jan

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

staroman wrote:Hi,
i give it up for the moment. I reload the .mcm file (Rushduino OSD CC rev Bledi 7.mcm). Then I flashed the Alfa5 version in my OSD. the result was this:
Nothing works...
With the last "official" Rushduino OSD i get the datas from the analog sensors. Only the serial connection to the FC doesnt work (SW is for the 2.1, i have the 2.11 dev 1232)
any ideas?

Jan

If you have read my last post you should know what´s going on! I have tested it and reported my thoughts, please upload MTK and you will fly happy :mrgreen:
Last edited by kataventos on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

fr3d wrote:
kataventos wrote:With this: .../...

many thanks it's working.. :)
have trouble with video and I'had 47µF capacitors. and now it's seems to be ok
too many wind to test today.
but is it a bug ?
with mwc dev1240 when I select (from radio) acro mode, osd show stable mode.... mag and baro are ok
nb: i'm using mtk version.

Great I´m happy that you get it to work, wish you great flight´s :roll:
I don´t think that it is a bug... Please verify in GUI if you are wrong with stable and acro on check box!

staroman

Post by staroman »

Hi kataventos,

thats the result with the unchanged MTK version:

Jan

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

staroman wrote:Hi kataventos,

thats the result with the unchanged MTK version:

Jan

Humm... please get back and do as I posted before with those files, take all the steps carefully, you will be fine ;)
I would like to see some more feedback from Rush users/downloaders.