MultiWii 1.9

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
Niclas Hedlund

Re: MultiWii 1.9

Post by Niclas Hedlund »

Wayne wrote:What are the hardware requirements? Do I need to have GPS working and a Mag or will Mag only work.

Mag, ACC and Gyro if I understood everything correctly.
No need for GPS.

spagoziak

Post by spagoziak »

A magnetometer is required for head free mode, right?

mahowik

Post by mahowik »

wilco1967 wrote:BTW: I've tried the new head free mode, and it seems to work just fine.... however, once you're used to 'normal' quad flying, this new mode becomes highly confusing again :roll: ..... you're still trying to control, as if standing behind the model....
I think it is especially usefull in a situation where you've lost orientation, and you're not sure anymore what is the 'front'. I guess this could have saved my last quad (flew away, after lost orientation.... never found it back :( ).
You could put LEVEL mode + HEAD FREE on the same switch.... if you loose orientation, hit that switch... than slowly bring it back towards you.

Just a story with happy end... ))
When I implemented this mode and initially tested it on fly I was continuing to fly in stable mode at the stadium. It was windy that day. I lost the control and my copter go out of the stadium with direction to the private sector... Horror and f%ck! At that time I completely forgot about newly implemented head free mode!!! :)) I just turn off the engines from 10m altitude... but I was lucky... Only frame was a little damaged... )))

mahowik

Post by mahowik »

spagoziak wrote:A magnetometer is required for head free mode, right?

Hi all,

I have updated the first post of the related thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=925

pls. post your feedbacks or issues there to have it in one place...

HOW TO:

- At first you need to have a magnetometer and accelerometer on the board
- It works independent from existent modes. I.e. you can use it not only with Level but also with Acro mode (but I have not tested in acro).
- Before flight try it in hands. Rotate for diff angles and make sure that front always the same.
- The head/front will be remembered when you turn on the engines. So it means that you can turn on/off the "simple/head free" mode during the flight...

thx-
Alex

EOSBandi

Post by EOSBandi »

It works independent from existent modes. I.e. you can use it not only with Level but also with Acro mode (but I have not tested in acro).

I flew it in Acro (since still having issues with Level) and it works flawless.

Niclas Hedlund

Post by Niclas Hedlund »

mahowik wrote:- The head/front will be remembered when you turn on the engines. So it means that you can turn on/off the "simple/head free" mode during the flight...

That explains why I got so confused earlier today when I tried it. :)
I thought it "stored" the orientation when the mode was enabled.

But I only had a quick test run, I made a suicide dive from about 20-30M height a couple of minutes later, the quad made a 180* flip forwards and smashed right down into the ground. (It was high grass right underneath so I was a bit lucky. All 4 props and two engines seems to be bad, but everything else survived)
But this was with the HeadFree mode tuned off.
I compiled latest official trunk (not the shared branch) and I'm not sure if this is a SW/HW fault or crap behind the control. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4de7EZZ96A

mahowik

Post by mahowik »

Niclas Hedlund wrote:
mahowik wrote:- The head/front will be remembered when you turn on the engines. So it means that you can turn on/off the "simple/head free" mode during the flight...

That explains why I got so confused earlier today when I tried it. :)
I thought it "stored" the orientation when the mode was enabled.

It was in first version... in second it was decided to remember orientation when copter on the ground to exactly know the direction and use it as safe mode...

aeromodeller

Post by aeromodeller »

Hi,
I'm new on the forum so please excuse me if this question has been asked and solved.

My Quad ( Flydumini) was happily flying on 1.8p2 using a WM+ only.
I upgraded to 1.9 and it still was a happy copter. I added a BMA 020 tonight and in the gui there was no output from the gyro although there was output from the BMA020. I had the battery connected so I wasn't relying on the USB to provide power. If I disconnected the BMA020, the Gyro would work again.
I reloaded 1.8P2 and the gyro re appeared , the BMA020 works fine and it flys great.

So what needs altering in the sketch to make 1.9 work please :?:

Regards,

Shaun

Niclas Hedlund

Post by Niclas Hedlund »

Hi and welcome!

I suppose you have made the defined for the BMA020 in config.h?
What does your debug2 counter says in the GUI when running 1.9 with only WM+ and with both connected?
Debug2 is a i2c error counter and should stay at 0. There is i2c-bus errors if it increases.

aeromodeller

Post by aeromodeller »

Hi Niclas
thanks for your reply....
Yes, the BMA is defined.
No errors on the debug with the WM+ only, Loads of errors with BMA020 defined and in circuit. There are no soldering / continuity issues...

I know the BMA is a good unit as I have been using it in my Hex Spider for months until I recently replaced the sensors with a Drotek 10DOF.. I was using 1.9 with a copy WM+ (wired direct to the ITG3200 gyro) and a Baro and Mag, on a DIVIDE et Impera board... No problems, so the issue seems to be with 1.9 and a Genuine WM+ and BMA020

I have found out this morning that I'm not alone in this issue and some people have added additional pullups to the SDA/SDL lines and that cured their problem but, I don't understand why this is happening as it works perfectly OK using 1.8P2 s/w so the problem is, I would suspect with 1.9 and not the hardware .

I've been flying it in the house this afternoon on my new Turnigy 460mAh 25-40C, 3S batteries. These are perfect, no sagging like 20C rated cells..Solid as a rock....... Now this is fun. I'll be able to loop and roll it at the next indoor meeting :D

Shaun

Niclas Hedlund

Post by Niclas Hedlund »

There is a thread describing the difference in i2c handling between 1.8 and 1.9.
1.8 basically ignored i2c errors, but 1.9 highlights them.

Read more in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=986

Try adding two 2,2kOhm pull up resistors between SDA and 3,3v (if you are using 3,3v signals) and SCL and 3,3v.

Can you check the signals with an oscilloscope?
Is the µC running on 5v?
Are you using a level converter circuit between 3,3v signals and 5v signals to the µC?

aeromodeller

Post by aeromodeller »

Hi,

I'm using a 5v promini, the BMA020 doesn't need anLLC as it's designed for 5V operation.

I'm afraid I don't have a scope...

Cheers,

Shaun