Impact of Gyro LPF 10Hz?

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
flyboy

Impact of Gyro LPF 10Hz?

Post by flyboy »

This is NOT a set up question, but a software question. I am looking for some opinions as to the impact of having to set the GYRO_LPF_10HZ in the config.h file on MultiWii 2.4. I know most will immediately want to respond with go fix the setup. The quadcopter in question is definitely generating excessive vibration, but the parts and set up is given. Props are even balanced perfectly.

I am trying to determine what errors will be introduced into the PID loop as result of using the 10HZ setting. I am thinking that the 10HZ setting will definitely hide problems that are bound to catch up and show itself in random errors with motors dropping out randomly. I am looking for opinions on the impact to the software, motors and flight control. Even theoretical guesses would be appreciated.

Kbev5709

Re: Impact of Gyro LPF 10Hz?

Post by Kbev5709 »

flyboy wrote: The quadcopter in question is definitely generating excessive vibration, but the parts and set up is given. Props are even balanced perfectly.
When you state "the parts and setup is given" What does that mean? If you have excessive vibrations they must be coming from the motor bells then.
flyboy wrote:I am trying to determine what errors will be introduced into the PID loop as result of using the 10HZ setting. I am thinking that the 10HZ setting will definitely hide problems that are bound to catch up and show itself in random errors with motors dropping out randomly. I am looking for opinions on the impact to the software, motors and flight control. Even theoretical guesses would be appreciated.

It does not state that errors will be introduced, but rather, you will need to re-tune your PIDs. It is also not going to do much without fixing the root of the problem which sounds like vibration in your case.
It says right there in the description:
"As soon as twitching gone, stick with that setting.
It will not help on feedback wobbles, so change only when copter is randomly twiching and all dampening and
balancing options ran out."
It directly states that this is a last resort and the copter should be balanced properly before resorting to this as an end fix all.
What this filter does is make corrections at the frequency that harmonic imbalance happens at. Harmonic imbalance is a result of vibration that gets worse at a certain frequency but is not affected at other frequencies.
Since I don't understand why you would rather depend on a software fix to fix a hardware issue, I can't imagine it will be effective at what you want it to do, whatever that is. Just FYI, mine is set at 98hz and works as it should. It got rid of the little random twitches, most of which were happening only during descent.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

The advice from kbev5709 is good.and should be taken very seriously.
But then
I understand some hardware is as it is.For example rc-helicopters are completely different beasts compared to average multirotors when it comes to vibrations.
You may also try GYRO_SMOOTHING - this will introduce some lag as it uses simple averaging over time.
In the end what works for you, works.

Tell us some more about your setup

flyboy

Post by flyboy »

Thanks for taking the time to respond to the post. I understand the initial reaction to take this to a set up discussion and a "go back and read" response, but I am looking for a deeper discussion on the LPF filter impacts.

The set up is simply an out of the box RTF model. While porting MultiWii 2.4 over to the model, I noticed that anything above 10Hz generates excessive swings on the sensor graph in MultiWii gui. So that got me to exploring whether or not turning down the LPF would/could induce the random motor stops that has been experienced when flying factory code. That is why this is NOT a set up question and why I did not post this question in the set up page. (Putting this in here because I know someone will have the urge to say I posted on the wrong page :-) )

Let me give a question to help set the direction. Some have suggested that setting the LPF too low could induce a phasing shift between the ACC and the Gyro inputs. If this is the case could that possibly induce a single motor to stop spinning?

Kbev5709

Post by Kbev5709 »

Sounds to me like you are in uncharted territory that no one has ever needed to enter before and there is no good theoretical answer. Why not just try what you want to do and see??????