FailSafe possible improvement

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
vinietje

FailSafe possible improvement

Post by vinietje »

I'm new to this forum, but i noticed that when my chopper was armed, and i switched of my tx, it wanted to take off, it was quite horrible to try to kill the battery connection, while the 3 meatgrinders where trying to take off.

perhaps setting the DEFAULT value FAILSAVE_THR0TTLE (MINTHROTTLE + 200) to MINTHROTTLE, instead of +200, in my case it tried to take off is a safer setting for newbies who are eager to fly and don't check all articles before takeoff.

furthermore once failsafe is engaged, it seemd impossible to take back control of the plane. i must confess i didn't check the routine itself, but it looked like it just goes into failsafe and you have to pray it doens't hit a tree, i think one would be better off when one runs towards the plane to resume transmission (always safer than auto-landing).

so (version 1.8) did crash somehow or it doesn't resume control to the user.

*edit: sorry accidently subbmitted (focus was on subject, the press enter)

jevermeister

Re: FailSafe possible improvement

Post by jevermeister »

Hi,
you should never turn off your tx while the copter is in idle.

It may perhaps be possible to insert a routine that checks if the copter is actually flying. We shut off any correction if we are below a certain throttle, mybe we cann alter the failsafe, so it just turns off the motors if the rx went off while the copter was below this throttle threshold.

If the tx is back on/in range you will regain control of the copter, thats already in the code and wis working fine.

I added a function that started a beep if the tx is shut off while the copter was unarmed, very good to find it if you loose it, which happened to me already

jevermeister

Re: FailSafe possible improvement

Post by jevermeister »

Hi,
I added a find me signal into my sourcecode, I just updated to 1.8patch.
The principle is as follows:
If the failsave landed the copter and switches the motors of, a second failsafe stage starts and the buzzer starts to beep slowly, so you can find it better.
The second change is, that if you switch off the TX or loose connection while the copter is not armed the second failsafe stage also kicks in. So you can land you copter anywhere in the woods and just switch off to find it. This feature would have helped me last week when I lost my nDROiiD...

Nils