How to get changes merged into MultiWii

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
edsimmons3

How to get changes merged into MultiWii

Post by edsimmons3 »

Hi MultiWii devs,

I have forked MultiWii on GitHub and I hope to gradually collect together all the features that are languishing in various forks/zip files on the forums...

How should we go about testing, verifying and merging these useful modifications with the main source code? Isn't it time the code moved to github in it's entirety since Google code is/will be read only?

So far I have taken Solarwater's GPS RTH Failsafe code and merged this into my branch. I'm not great with GIT and somehow the Multiwii.cpp file got changed in whole, but the changes show in a subsequent commit where I tried to fix the previous commit but ended up with a new one! D'oh! Cherry picking from my fork is really easy with a graphical diff tool such as Meld...

I use SVN day-to-day for my work so I'm generally not afraid of version control, just better at SVN than Git.

I would like to see features that are sitting on the forums included:

Failsafe RTH (see my fork here: https://github.com/estechnical/multiwii-firmware - based on Solarwater's work in the forum but tidied up to just show the relevant changes)
Battery low auto-land

So how would I get commit access? :D Thanks,

Ed

Hamburger

Re: How to get changes merged into MultiWii

Post by Hamburger »

at the moment we are waiting for Alex to setup the new official repository. so no changes atm. due to technocal read.only limitations.

in general, it is a combo of tech and social
you should create patches, post those here and contact one of the registered devs who is technically close to your patch for review and incorporatipn into main branch. Over time Alex would consider granting write permission.

edsimmons3

Post by edsimmons3 »

Hi Hamburger,

Thanks for the explanation - that makes sense...

I have already put the modified code into the github fork I showed in the above post. I will proceed with testing this in flight soon but it has been tested on the bench already and appears to work fine. I made some modifications to the work of Solarwater to make sure it still compiles properly with no GPS etc. The changes should be nicely isolated in my fork if anyone cares to take a look.

Thank you,
Ed

Leo

Post by Leo »

Hamburger wrote:...
in general, it is a combo of tech and social
you should create patches, post those here.

I agree. Before any changes are made and integrated in Github they should be posted here in threads as patches and need to be discussed thoroughly before any commitment is taken within the repository.

This goes for Wiki entries as well.

edsimmons3

Post by edsimmons3 »

Er... yeh. Hence asking people to take a look at the github fork which is *clean* code on top of 2.4 multiwii with no other changes. Any takers for testing or review? It;s ready to go, bench tested and I'd be flying now it if it wasn't raining!